toldailytopic: What steps should government take to help prevent terror attacks such

gcthomas

I wouldn't be too sure of that. :plain:

Perhaps you're right. But I'm sure there could have been better tactics.

For example, how did the surviving brother manage to escape in a car after a gun fight? Why wasn't the road blocked or covered with stingers to prevent escape? With blocked escapes the police could have stayed safe, avoided a guns blazing scene, and taken time to resolve the standoff with less risk to everyone involved, and less chance of escape.

I might be really wrong in these ideas, but then the experts can think of better ways in which the situation could have been dealt with without giving the terrorists the wholesale disruption to life that they wanted. Do the police usually close down cities when there are murderers on the loose?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
How in the world would this have prevented the Boston bombing? It's like Jon Stewart said the other night--there's no such thing as "freedom magic" we can just break out and use as needed.
As I said, you cannot prevent all acts of terrorism. How do you fight an enemy who looks just like you. My point is, expecting the government to keep you safe from everything is foolish. The only way to accomplish that is a fascist state and even that wont prevent terrorism. On the other hand, a citizenry that is aware of what is going on around them and willing and able to act can do more to prevent acts of terror than all the combined intelligence agencies combined.

gcthomas

Nobody cares what you Brits think.

Nice to know you still speak for everyone on the site, W.C. :up:

Nobody cared when we were the regular subject of bombings and shoots from terrorists that were substantially funded by American organisations and charities, and we wanted that funding channel stopped.

The money that was sent over allowed the PIRA to buy lots of guns and explosives. The Birmingham pubs that were blown up killed 18 people on one day. One bomb in the City of London caused a billion pounds of damage. A bomb one year earlier killed three and caused eight hundred million pounds of damage.

When I was in the military around that time I had colleagues targeted but the PIRA, and I spend many hours over the years searching my car for magnetic bombs (a favourite trick) before holding my breath and turning the key to start the engine.

The UK has a lot of experience of coping with terrorism in sane and measured ways which didn't do the terrorists' job for them. If you want to close down cities and terrify everyone every time some nutter wants to get some attention, then carry on. You seem to be the experts.

But staying calm and carrying on has a lot going for it to show terrorists that they are not driving the agenda.

genuineoriginal

So the answer to terrorism causing two deaths in the last decade is to put another 100 million guns into civilian hands
Yes.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Freedom can only be maintained when all the able bodied civilians are armed and incorporated into State militias.

and lock down the country?
Well regulated armed civilians is the only other option to locking down the country. To me, it is the preferrable one.

gcthomas

Yes.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Freedom can only be maintained when all the able bodied civilians are armed and incorporated into State militias.

Well regulated armed civilians is the only other option to locking down the country. To me, it is the preferrable one.

How would an armed citizenry prevent the serupticious planting of bombs? What was needed was someone to spot the rucksack move people away from it.

Nobody to shoot.

:idunno:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Nobody cares what you Brits think.

Thomas already handled this with aplomb, but a typically idiotic American response like yours has zero place in this discussion. Considering the Brits have a lengthy history of dealing with terrorism.

Granite

Hall of Fame
As I said, you cannot prevent all acts of terrorism. How do you fight an enemy who looks just like you. My point is, expecting the government to keep you safe from everything is foolish.

Agreed, but I don't believe anyone here has said this.

On the other hand, a citizenry that is aware of what is going on around them and willing and able to act can do more to prevent acts of terror than all the combined intelligence agencies combined.

Well this is all very nice fluffy talk but I don't see how it works practically. If everyone in Boston was armed to the teeth, the bombs go off. Makes no difference.

genuineoriginal

How would an armed citizenry prevent the serupticious planting of bombs?
How does any armed peace officer prevent crime?
There is rarely any need to draw a weapon to prevent crime, it is usually drawn after a crime has been committed.
If an unmanned marked police car parked at the side of the road can cause people to slow down to speed limit and fasten seat belts, then the knowledge that half of the people watching the race are carrying guns will also have a detrimental effect on anyone planning to commit any crime there.

What was needed was someone to spot the rucksack move people away from it.
That is where a well regulated militia comes into force.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.​
Through being part of a well regulated militia, over half of the people watching the race would have had training in how to handle emergency situations, and would have turned the panic into a manageable situation.

Nobody to shoot.
95% of all peace officers never fire their guns while on duty.
What makes you think members of a well regulated militia will be any different?

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
If everyone in Boston was armed to the teeth, the bombs would have gone off in another city that did not have so many armed citizens.

Big difference for Boston.

Yes! Guns stop bombs the same way a tennis racket is great for playing catch.

You may be pro-gun but this is just brainless.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
No, thats not what is needed, the real problem is there is to much big brother dictating as it is, and the other fact that most of the populace is dependent on big brother to just exist, so they grumble and complaine but they still can't shake that need for a parent be it goverment or religions, so few stand up and demand their independence back and when they do they are attacked by other slaves and cheer on the police state you stupidly wish for us..

The other factor is the brainwashing from cradle to grave which you seem to be one of the poster nations for such elitist mentality through history.

Anderson Cooper, Bill big mouth will tell you who did it, and the indoctrinated will go into their hate mongering possible reasons and remedies that never expose the real enemy hidden in plain sight.

Banks steal you saps blind, and the military kills your sons and daughters for corperate greed and other BS! and you still can't grasp who the real enemy is, so the american populace is the problem not some CIA taught terrorist, or FBI stooge.

It worked in Wyatt Earp's day.