toldailytopic: What was the best decade of the 20th century, and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
In the 80's most of those awesome (used) cars were cheap to buy.

(A point for the 80's :)

Yep, I got my drivers license in 1980, and could only afford 60's or very early 70's cars. Back then, you could get a good car for $500

They were really fast, but also had a lot of rust.

I had a 68' Cadillac with a 502 engine. It got about 6 miles per gallon, but could do 70 mph while barely pressing on the gas pedal.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
From an aesthetic and literary perspective I'd say 1925-1935, roughly. Very roughly.

I have a 95 year old grandma who is still alive.

Her school only went up to 8th grade (She graduated in 1927).

Anyway, from an aesthetic and literary perspective, I think she would disagree with you.

P.S.
She went to her 75th class reunion 7 years ago. (Now that’s OLD)

screamin4u2hear

I have one 21st century word for this...hater.:plain:

:wave: Thanks for having my back.. I appreciate it.

TH is just hating because I am currently (knock on wood) in :first: and beating him in our NFL picks. No offense taken as he can't be held responsible for his irrational slander. :cheers:

While I agree that the cartoons of my childhood were not the MOST mind stimulating, at least they had some resemblance of a plot. And I did like the Bugs Bunny show from my childhood as well. Besides these cartoons I listed are "light years" ahead of what the cartoons of this generation watches :thumb:

DocJohnson

Ew! That was the late 70's for me. What a dismal decade for hair and clothing. The music was pretty good, though, except of course Afternoon Delight (shudder)... And muscle cars really came into their own. The 70-72 models were the best.

I spent my early childhood in the 70s. Yes, the fashion was horrible and the music was great. Cars, though, meh. Maybe the '70 Dodge Charger.

I owned a '60 Ford Thunderbird in high school. Now, that was a car!

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
Personally, the 80s were great for me! I got married and had three of my four kids. As for time in general? I might have to say the 50s, even though I didn't come along until 1959. I long for the wholesomeness that those years seem to represent.

H.E.A.T.

The first decade was the best, 1901-1910. No major wars, only the Russo-Japanese war pops to mind. Great advances in technology as the industrial revolution continued to steam ahead. No domination of billions of people by totalitarian regimes.

Personal morals of most of the world's population were much better. It has been a downhill slide ever since.

I would have to put the 80's second, primarily for the downfall of communism in Eastern Europe, eventually leading to the implosion of the Soviet Union in the early ninetees.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Wow! Someone who knows what my screen name means.
I read your question on the TOL 10 Commandments thread.

I have a theory... most everyone chooses the decade in which they attended high school.

For me it's the 80s.
the '90s were stupid. y the time they were over pop music was the worst it had ever been, with Britney, Christina, N*Sync, etc.

Chalmer Wren

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 12th, 2009 01:09 AM

toldailytopic: What was the best decade of the 20th century, and why?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

The ones with me in them

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Tough call unless you are as old as dirt.

80's.

The "U" came into being. Bo Jackson, Jerry Rice, The 83 NFL draft, Dan Marino, Michael Jordan, Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley, Dominique Wilkins, Isaiah Thomas, Akeem Olajuwon, George Bret, Dave Rhigetti, Dave Winfield, Rickey Henderson, Roger Clemens, Dwight Gooden, Michael Irvin, Troy Aikman, Eric Dickerson, The 85 Bears, Joe Monatan's 49'ers, Ronald Reagan, The end of Jimmy Carter, The disintegration of the Soviet Empire, Luke and Laura.... no contest against the 90's.

Pyromania, Hysteria, 1984, Twisted Sister(ha ha), 5150, end of disco....

Status
Not open for further replies.