toldailytopic: What was the best decade of the 20th century, and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
The 80's. Still the best music ever and pretty good economic times. Met and married my bride.

Ps82

I'm glad Bybee. I always enjoy your replies to my comments. It's nice to have friendly conversations.
Thanks

elohiym

What was the best decade of the 20th century, and why?

The 90s. Why? Two words: the internet.

screamin4u2hear

I don't know about the best decade ever... but the best cartoons had to come between 1985-1995

He Man
GI Joe
Transformers
Voltron
Thundercats
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Ducktales

I'm sure there are more, but those are right off the top of my head.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't know about the best decade ever... but the best cartoons had to come between 1985-1995

He Man
GI Joe
Transformers
Voltron
Thundercats
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Ducktales

I'm sure there are more, but those are right off the top of my head.
And you do so well with football too...:nono: Bugs Bunny and the Rocky & Bullwinkle show were light years ahead of anything on that list. Funny, layered, even culturally literate. Both ended original programming by the end of the 60s, though a good bit of reruns left the gates open to another generation. If you're going with cartoons, better to pick the 60s before HB dumbed things down to a faux special effects and teenage riddled bland-fest.

Son of Jack

And you do so well with football too...:nono: Bugs Bunny and the Rocky & Bullwinkle show were light years ahead of anything on that list. Funny, layered, even culturally literate. Both ended original programming by the end of the 60s, though a good bit of reruns left the gates open to another generation. If you're going with cartoons, better to pick the 60s before HB dumbed things down to a faux special effects and teenage riddled bland-fest.

I have one 21st century word for this...hater.:plain:

fool

Hall of Fame
The 90s.
How we got by without cell phones is something I don't want to recall.

Karl der Grosse

Although I wasn't there (I was born in '83) I would say the 1940's.

1. It showed the lowest, and highest, points in human history (at least my opinion)
2. Some of the most ingenious inventions were made, or at least conceived (Ipod/mp3 player- no joke)
3. The United States entered into one of the greatest economic booms of all times

if anyone is interested, I would check out "The Greatest Generation" by Mr. Tom Brokaw

http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Generation-Tom-Brokaw/dp/0375502025

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Even though I was born in 64', and don't remember much of the 60's, I agree.

I would add those great muscle cars from the 60's to your list.

The GTO, Mustang, Barracuda, Road Runner, Challenger, Camero, Firebird, Charger, and a few others all debuted in the 60's.

The Shelby Cobra, the Hemi, and the Boss were all names from the 60's.

In the 80's most of those awesome (used) cars were cheap to buy.

A point for the 80's :)

Cant say I have a strong opinion of which decade was best actually.

Ps82

The 90s.
How we got by without cell phones is something I don't want to recall.

I was so glad to have one when my daughter was a teenager because times were different... but in my day and in my small town we did not need one. Everyone in town knew your business and where you were almost all of the time.

My father passed away at my brother's home in another town... before I could get home to check on our house the news had preceded me. Someone saw me arrive and checked on me and found out that all the carpet had been taken up in the house because new was on its way. He rounded up several other men and they relaid all the carpet in the house before my mother arrived home.

We did not want for one single meal during this time. Ladies came everyday, brought food, served it, and cleaned up afterward.

Can't beat a small town!

bybee

Blessings!

Blessings!

I was so glad to have one when my daughter was a teenager because times were different... but in my day and in my small town we did not need one. Everyone in town knew your business and where you were almost all of the time.

My father passed away at my brother's home in another town... before I could get home to check on our house the news had preceded me. Someone saw me arrive and checked on me and found out that all the carpet had been taken up in the house because new was on its way. He rounded up several other men and they relaid all the carpet in the house before my mother arrived home.

We did not want for one single meal during this time. Ladies came everyday, brought food, served it, and cleaned up afterward.

Can't beat a small town!

I must agree! peace, bybee

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
I have a theory... most everyone chooses the decade in which they attended high school.

Ew! That was the late 70's for me. What a dismal decade for hair and clothing. The music was pretty good, though, except of course Afternoon Delight (shudder)... And muscle cars really came into their own. The 70-72 models were the best.

For me it's the 80s.

Maybe the 60's before all the craziness. Growing up on a farm in a small Southern Indiana town, my sister and I had no idea we weren't rich. My brothers were older and had probably figured it out, but knew better than to tell us - the wrath of Mom, you know.

Random memories:
- a country general store where we would return bottles to buy candy.
- a one-room schoolhouse about a quarter of a mile from my house. My oldest brother actually went to first grade there. Then it became our community center.
- attending the public elementary school where the Christmas play was the Nativity.
- making 'houses' by trampling down the wheat in the field next to our house.
- getting our behinds spanked for trampling down the wheat in the field next to our house...
- jumping from the rafters in the barn into the bins of soybeans.
- getting our behinds spanked for jumping from the rafters in the barn into the bins of soybeans... (yeah, I know, maybe it was cute the first time...)
- going into town and shopping on Main Street.
- sitting in the breeze-way at my Aunt Mary's house, watching our neighbors drive by - and waving at everybody, of course.
- fried chicken, gravy, mashed potatoes, and corn EVERY Sunday for dinner.
- going to pick up my grandma on Christmas Eve and - would you believe it - every single year Santa would bring our presents while we were picking her up!
- ABC, NBC, and CBS - and that's all.
- ice skating on the little pond across the road - without ice skates; that's what socks are for.
- coming in out of the snow and sitting on a furnace vent and talking to my sister in the other room through the vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.