toldailytopic: What was the best decade of the 20th century, and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for November 12th, 2009 01:09 AM

toldailytopic: What was the best decade of the 20th century, and why?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The sixties. Of course you would have to have lived them to truly know this.

The Beatles, RollingStones, Dylan...and all that they spawned.
Motown
The SDS and Weathermen...both of which I was a member. Yikes!
I Have a Dream (1963)
Joplin. Hendrix. Woodstock.
John F. Kennedy
Neil Armstrong
The Graduate, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Planet of the Apes, A Fistfull of Dollars
Six Days of War
Muhammed Ali
William F. Buckley
Berra, Koufax, Mantle, Green Bay Packers, Celtics

AMR

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The sixties. Of course you would have to have lived them to truly know this.

The Beatles, RollingStones, Dylan...and all that they spawned.
Motown
The SDS and Weathermen...both of which I was a member. Yikes!
I Have a Dream (1963)
Joplin. Hendrix. Woodstock.
John F. Kennedy
Neil Armstrong
The Graduate, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Planet of the Apes, A Fistfull of Dollars
Six Days of War
Muhammed Ali
William F. Buckley
Berra, Koufax, Mantle, Green Bay Packers, Celtics

AMR

Even though I was born in 64', and don't remember much of the 60's, I agree.

I would add those great muscle cars from the 60's to your list.

The GTO, Mustang, Barracuda, Road Runner, Challenger, Camero, Firebird, Charger, and a few others all debuted in the 60's.

The Shelby Cobra, the Hemi, and the Boss were all names from the 60's.

Son of Jack

Well, in my limited experience, I'd have to defer to AMR and others, those who are "wiser" than I am.:D

All I know is the 1980s and 1990s...

80s=flock of seagulls (that ought to be enough to eliminate that decade from consideration)

90s=yuppies...:rolleyes:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Off the top of my noggin I'd say from 1935 to 1945.

But that's just a guess. :plain:

When will these be graded?

bybee

I came of age in the mid-fifties. It was a glorious, hopeful and naive time. No drugs. And nice girls didn't drink! I received an excellent public school education. We walked almost anywhere we wanted. But it was a "White male dominated time". We just didn't know it. I still love the music of the 50's, Wild bill Haley and the Comets, Elvis, Fats Domino, Georgie Auld, Les Paul and Mary Ford, Chet Atkins and so many more. Most of us were "stay at home moms" and grateful to be so. We volunteered in the schools, churches and community. Most of our entertainment was at home because we were all poor as church mice. Anyway, I have adapted to many changes, some good some not so good. Most of the foundation beliefs which I held dear as a young woman have remained unchanged through the years. I have a personal Savior and His witness helps me to love my neighbor.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I came of age in the mid-fifties. It was a glorious, hopeful and naive time. No drugs. And nice girls didn't drink! I received an excellent public school education. We walked almost anywhere we wanted. But it was a "White male dominated time". We just didn't know it. I still love the music of the 50's, Wild bill Haley and the Comets, Elvis, Fats Domino, Georgie Auld, Les Paul and Mary Ford, Chet Atkins and so many more. Most of us were "stay at home moms" and grateful to be so. We volunteered in the schools, churches and community. Most of our entertainment was at home because we were all poor as church mice. Anyway, I have adapted to many changes, some good some not so good. Most of the foundation beliefs which I held dear as a young woman have remained unchanged through the years. I have a personal Savior and His witness helps me to love my neighbor.

I like movies of the 50's just to see the cars

the music was good

so who convinced you that it was male dominated?

did that make you feel better?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The 70's were interesting:

Nixon and Watergate
Jimmy Carter
Disco
CB radios
Smokey and the Bandit
The Bicentennial
Perms
Jaws, Star Wars, and The Godfather
The Six Million Dollar Man
The Farah Fawcett poster
Really bad cars (Pinto, Pacer, and Vega)
Saturday Night Live
All In The Family
And my personal favorite: The Super Steelers!

bybee

Hmmmm

Hmmmm

I like movies of the 50's just to see the cars

the music was good

so who convinced you that it was male dominated?

did that make you feel better?

I have half a mind to be offended by your post. After I confer with the other half I'll craft a response to it. Who convinced you that the sky is blue? peace, bybee

BabyChristian

The 50s.

I was born in the 50s so I don't remember much but from the history I've read it was a good time, good family values, all of that.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
70's and 80's

I enjoyed the music, hairstyles and clothing.

Ps82

1946-56 into 62. Just wonderful. My childhood in small town American was heavenly from the perspective of a little white girl. Probably was different for a black child.

No locked doors ... leaving keys in cars.
Lots of family and lots of visits.
Town no more than a mile or two from anyone's home.
Groceries delivered to people's homes.
Freedom for children to roam town without fear and even walk home after dark.
Having an Andy Hardy atmosphere in school ... anything is possible.
Even the city had a flair of the country farm with pecan orchards and pastures for ponies.
No air conditioning, but lots of sitting outside on porches and playing out doors.
Even watching TV under the stars - stars, which you could see BTW.
County fairs and traveling circuses.
Children were allowed to be children longer.
As a kid you learned that someone that is your rival one month may be your friend to go a trip next month.
Families alternated in trips to the beach ... which made it good for popular kids, who were blessed to be invited to go with a different friend each year to the beach.
Lake cabins and skiing.
Riding ponies and horsed down trails trough the woods.
Building tree houses out of junk supplies.
Pets didn't have to stay inside or be walked, but could follow you to town.
Kids could ride bicycles and roller skate to town on the sidewalks.
Older people were called Miss Mary and Mr. Fred.
You could watch the movie at the theater several times without repaying to get in .
Church youth groups were a main source of entertainment for teenagers.
Bothers and sisters would walk to school together and some people could go home for lunch.
Women began to go to the hospital to have their babies.
There were town doctors that made house calls, and we even had a dentist.
Mostly honorable men were leaders of the community... cause everyone knew where they lived if they misbehaved.
Most people stayed married - even if there were problems. Families stepped up to help one another through tough marriages.

Yes, there were some bad things that went on ... after all, people have been sinners since Adam ... but most things were good.

bybee

Great story

Great story

1946-56 into 62. Just wonderful. My childhood in small town American was heavenly from the perspective of a little white girl. Probably was different for a black child.

No locked doors ... leaving keys in cars.
Lots of family and lots of visits.
Town no more than a mile or two from anyone's home.
Groceries delivered to people's homes.
Freedom for children to roam town without fear and even walk home after dark.
Having an Andy Hardy atmosphere in school ... anything is possible.
Even the city had a flair of the country farm with pecan orchards and pastures for ponies.
No air conditioning, but lots of sitting outside on porches and playing out doors.
Even watching TV under the stars - stars, which you could see BTW.
County fairs and traveling circuses.
Children were allowed to be children longer.
As a kid you learned that someone that is your rival one month may be your friend to go a trip next month.
Families alternated in trips to the beach ... which made it good for popular kids, who were blessed to be invited to go with a different friend each year to the beach.
Lake cabins and skiing.
Riding ponies and horsed down trails trough the woods.
Building tree houses out of junk supplies.
Pets didn't have to stay inside or be walked, but could follow you to town.
Kids could ride bicycles and roller skate to town on the sidewalks.
Older people were called Miss Mary and Mr. Fred.
You could watch the movie at the theater several times without repaying to get in .
Church youth groups were a main source of entertainment for teenagers.
Bothers and sisters would walk to school together and some people could go home for lunch.
Women began to go to the hospital to have their babies.
There were town doctors that made house calls, and we even had a dentist.
Mostly honorable men were leaders of the community... cause everyone knew where they lived if they misbehaved.
Most people stayed married - even if there were problems. Families stepped up to help one another through tough marriages.

Yes, there were some bad things that went on ... after all, people have been sinners since Adam ... but most things were good.

I love these personal stories! Thanks, bybee

Status
Not open for further replies.