toldailytopic: What will you be planting in your garden this Spring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 15th, 2010 09:41 AM

toldailytopic: What will you be planting in your garden this Spring?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
We tried growing pumpkins last year. The plant grew like crazy!! But no pumpkins at all. I think I want to try that again, except this time.... I want pumpkins!!!

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
I'm going to try one of those new upside down tomato planters.

I'm curious to see if they'll stay on my salad.

The Graphite

We live in an apartment without a deck or porch. However, we grow a small number of things near the living room window. Most of them are just some decorative greens and a couple flowers.

However, since my wife absolutely loves basil, each year we get a potted basil plant from Sunflower Market. We don't transplant it; we just leave it in its plastic bucket, and we pick leaves off it till we're done. It typically lasts a couple months. Vastly cheaper than buying those little plastic packages of herbs at the store, and this is much fresher, as well! Sometimes we've bought 2 or 3 of these in a year. That's the extent of our garden, at this point.

Someday, I'd love to grow a few more things, though. We'll see.

Dena

Green beans and grape tomatoes for sure. Other then that, I don't know. That may be all I do. I'm super low on energy and my husband doesn't garden.

elohiym

We tried growing pumpkins last year. The plant grew like crazy!! But no pumpkins at all. I think I want to try that again, except this time.... I want pumpkins!!!

There are male and female flowers on the pumpkin plant. The females are only open for a couple of days. Next time, pluck a few male flowers and use them to pollinate the females (brush them with the male flower) just when they are fully open. You should get some pumpkins. Obviously, you'll have to watch the plants daily to know when the time is right (when the female flower is fully open). Note: the female flower has a bulge at the base.

I haven't decided what we'll be growing this year. Probably the standards. Lots of greens for sure.

Ps82

We're thinking about having a food garden this year for the first time. Will probably put it together next month... and plant soon there after. Give me some good advice.

I am hoping for tomatoes, peppers, and onions. My husband doesn't want anything that is a runner ... for we will start with a small plot, but I'd sort of like some potatoes.

Any suggestions on the best types of plants?

elohiym

We're thinking about having a food garden this year for the first time. Will probably put it together next month... and plant soon there after. Give me some good advice.

Raised bed square foot gardening. For the square foot gardening method in detail, read Square Foot Gardening: A New Way to Garden in Less Space with Less Work by Mel Bartholomew. You wont be disappointed. All you need to know, basically, is in that book.

Ps82

Raised bed square foot gardening. For the square foot gardening method in detail, read Square Foot Gardening: A New Way to Garden in Less Space with Less Work by Mel Bartholomew. You wont be disappointed. All you need to know, basically, is in that book.

Thanks elohiym,
I'll pass this info to my husband. I'm sure that he will want to be in charge of the planting ideas. He'll plant and I'll harvest... sounds good to me.

I'm a small town country girl, who had farmers through out her ancestry, but who knows nothing herself about planting ... but I can't wait to learn.

BTW, I live in the south. Is this book for hot Georgia weather?

assuranceagent

There are male and female flowers on the pumpkin plant. The females are only open for a couple of days. Next time, pluck a few male flowers and use them to pollinate the females (brush them with the male flower) just when they are fully open. You should get some pumpkins. Obviously, you'll have to watch the plants daily to know when the time is right (when the female flower is fully open). Note: the female flower has a bulge at the base.

HEY! This is a family forum! :mmph:

Status
Not open for further replies.