toldailytopic: What will you be planting in your garden this Spring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicholsmom

Raised bed square foot gardening. For the square foot gardening method in detail, read Square Foot Gardening: A New Way to Garden in Less Space with Less Work by Mel Bartholomew. You wont be disappointed. All you need to know, basically, is in that book.

We do that! I love that book. It's a great reference as well as a really neat way to garden.

We'll be planting spinach, tomatoes, butternut squash, crook neck squash, lettuce, potatoes (just a few), maybe sweet potatoes, basil, peppers, cucumbers...

Man, my mouth is watering...

I'd like to try peas again. The first time we planted them they came out great - loads of peas, but haven't had any luck since :sigh:

I love this topic :D

Ps82

I'm going to try one of those new upside down tomato planters.

I'm curious to see if they'll stay on my salad.

I'd love to hear how that turns out. I have this idea that plant stems and leaves grow toward the sun ... so I keep thinking the branches will grow upward ... and create a weakness problem for the hanging tomatoes.

Ps82

My husband checked out the info on the internet and sort of likes the square food gardening ideas. He has chosen our spot in the back yard. Can't wait to select what to plant.

I tried pumpkins once ... no luck at all. Spot too shady - and either the deer or rabbits finally ate the vines... or something???

Oh my, deer and rabbits - I hope the book addresses these things just in case.
I don't want to experience "Mr. McGregor's Garden - Part II."

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
We tried growing pumpkins last year. The plant grew like crazy!! But no pumpkins at all. I think I want to try that again, except this time.... I want pumpkins!!!

You want pumpkins?

you want pumpkins!

You cannot handle pumpkins!

Ps82

My husband checked out the info on the internet and sort of likes the square foot gardening ideas. He has chosen our spot in the back yard. Can't wait to select what to plant.

I tried pumpkins once ... no luck at all. Spot too shady - and either the deer or rabbits finally ate the vines... or something???

I don't want to experience "Mr. McGregor's Garden - Part II."

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I want tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, butternut squash, yellow squash, zucchini squash, onions, sweet corn, peppers, cucumbers, radishes, but I cannot have tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, butternut squash, yellow squash,zucchini squash, onions, sweet corn, peppers, cucumbers, radishes, because I am too darn ill to plant tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, butternut squash, yellow squash, zucchini squash, onions, sweet corn, peppers, cucumbers, radishes and no one else will plant tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, butternut squash, yellow squash, zucchini squash, onions, sweet corn, peppers, cucumbers, radishes, because no one has the time to plant tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, butternut squash, yellow squash, zucchini squash, onions, sweet corn, peppers, cucumbers, radishes, so, I have to buy second rate tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, butternut squash, yellow squash, zucchini squash, onions, sweet corn, peppers, cucumbers, radishes at a store. Gee wiz, life is tough!:madmad:

At least I have deer, rabbit, turkey and some wild hog and most people have no deer, rabbit, turkey and some wild hog because they do not hunt have deer, rabbit, turkey and some wild hog, too bad about cha:crackup:

elohiym

If you build a raised bed with wooden sidewalls, you can drill some holes into the four corners and mount two pieces of pvc pipe in an ark shape (sticking one end in one hole and the other end of the pipe in the opposing hole, repeat for the other side). Over that framework, you can stretch some deer netting held in place with clothes pins or whatever else works. Keeps the critters out nicely. I use the outdoor gray pvc electrical conduit, which resists the sun damage and lasts for years.

Ps82

I want tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, butternut squash, yellow squash, zucchini squash, onions, sweet corn, peppers, cucumbers, radishes, but I cannot have tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, butternut squash, yellow squash,zucchini squash, onions, sweet corn, peppers, cucumbers, radishes, because I am too darn ill to plant tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, butternut squash, yellow squash, zucchini squash, onions, sweet corn, peppers, cucumbers, radishes and no one else will plant tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, butternut squash, yellow squash, zucchini squash, onions, sweet corn, peppers, cucumbers, radishes, because no one has the time to plant tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, butternut squash, yellow squash, zucchini squash, onions, sweet corn, peppers, cucumbers, radishes, so, I have to buy second rate tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, butternut squash, yellow squash, zucchini squash, onions, sweet corn, peppers, cucumbers, radishes at a store. Gee wiz, life is tough!:madmad:

At least I have deer, rabbit, turkey and some wild hog and most people have no deer, rabbit, turkey and some wild hog because they do not hunt have deer, rabbit, turkey and some wild hog, too bad about cha:crackup:

You must be up near Kennesaw - north of Atlanta. I'm in Stone Mountain - we have deer, rabbit, chipmunks, and coyotes.

Sorry that you are ill... but thank goodness for grocery store and don't forget the local corner vegetable stands when they are in season.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
When I was a kid my parents used to have a garden and I thought it was such a pain to work in it. :sozo2: Now, I'd like to have a small garden of my own. :chuckle: Not sure if I'll actually do it though. What are the easiest things to grow? I'm lazy. :eek:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
You must be up near Kennesaw - north of Atlanta. I'm in Stone Mountain - we have deer, rabbit, chipmunks, and coyotes.

Sorry that you are ill... but thank goodness for grocery store and don't forget the local corner vegetable stands when they are in season.

Funny you mention Kennesaw, I lived new there growing up when it was mostly rural, now I am further up near the Chattahoochee NP and I also have a home way west of St. Louis MO.

I can tell you about ending the rabbit problem.

Ps82

Funny you mention Kennesaw, I lived new there growing up when it was mostly rural, now I am further up near the Chattahoochee NP and I also have a home way west of St. Louis MO.

I can tell you about ending the rabbit problem.

Well I figured you were outside of Atlanta ... and the mountains sounded like an area where wild hogs would be; so, it was a guess.

End the rabbit problem... Sounds terminal! I don't know if I can handle that. I feel sorry for and worry about the new coyotes in our neighborhood. Please tell me it's not terminal.

Ps82

When I was a kid my parents used to have a garden and I thought it was such a pain to work in it. :sozo2: Now, I'd like to have a small garden of my own. :chuckle: Not sure if I'll actually do it though. What are the easiest things to grow? I'm lazy. :eek:

Good question ... We're newbies too... and want success on this first attempt.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Well I figured you were outside of Atlanta ... and the mountains sounded like an area where wild hogs would be; so, it was a guess.

End the rabbit problem... Sounds terminal! I don't know if I can handle that. I feel sorry for and worry about the new coyotes in our neighborhood. Please tell me it's not terminal.

Ok, I will not say rabbit stew and fried rabbit is on my menu and lettuce has always helped. Keep in mind, you are probably a young country lady, I am an old one.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think I'm going to grow tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, broccoli, zucchini, carrots, beans, and okra. I'd like to grow potatoes too. But, I don't think my daughter will want to dig them up to harvest them. She wants to grow corn, pumpkins, and sunflowers.

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
"Our main crop is our children, and the farm is a good place to raise them." - Nola Ochs (world's oldest college graduate and a very dear person in my life)

nicholsmom

Ok, I will not say rabbit stew and fried rabbit is on my menu and lettuce has always helped. Keep in mind, you are probably a young country lady, I am an old one.

That's much yummier than my solution - cats. Cats love to eat bunnies - tiny ones. Two bites each and no more rabbit problem. The coyotes are good for keeping the rabbits down too, aren't they? Didn't she mention coyotes? We can't keep coyotes - they like chickens too :chicken: I don't think you can make a decent stew from a coyote though :p

nicholsmom

Sounds like you could use a kind neighbor who loves to grow more than she can eat :D

Status
Not open for further replies.