Transgressor from the womb

marke

So, is this you conceding the point?

"Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book."

I say that it's sin that lands you in Hell and you say "No its not." and then quote a verse that says that it is.

I don't get it.

(I can tell that at least part of your confusion here has to do with taking things that pertain to Israel (i.e. to those under the law) and applying them to every believer. Today, under Paul's gospel (i.e. the dispensation of grace), there isn't any way for a believer's name to be blotted out of the book of life and we will not be involved in the judgement that sends people to the Lake of Fire except perhaps as judges. This, however, is a discussion for another time.)
True believers are never blotted out of the Lambs's book of life. But phony Christians will find their names blotted out if they do not get saved, and their names will be blotted out for choosing the love of sin over submission to God when presented the clear choice by the Holy Spirit.

Revelation 3:5
He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
True believers are never blotted out of the Lambs's book of life. But phony Christians will find their names blotted out if they do not get saved, and their names will be blotted out for choosing the love of sin over submission to God when presented the clear choice by the Holy Spirit.
Revelation 3:5
He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
Well, again, you're making a dispensational error here. The fact is that in the dispensation of grace, there could be no way to blot out a name that was never in the book to begin with nor does the book in question have anything to do with believers in the age of grace. BUT - that is entirely beside the point. The point is that anyone who goes to Hell, I don't care when or how, it wasn't BECAUSE their name was blotted out. Their name was blotted out for the same reason they're going to Hell. In other words, the blotting out of names and the going to Hell do not have a cause and effect relationship between them. Rather they both share the same cause. That cause being sin, as the verses you've quoted in previous posts explicitly state.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I actually think thats a foolish question sir.
Translation: I'm in a corner that I can't think of a way out of. I must therefore discredit the validity of the question by calling it foolish. I don't need to explain why it's foolish, all that is necessary is for me to proclaim it foolish and the job will be done.

Classic - textbook - ad hominem argument!

marke

Well, again, you're making a dispensational error here. The fact is that in the dispensation of grace, there could be no way to blot out a name that was never in the book to begin with nor does the book in question have anything to do with believers in the age of grace. BUT - that is entirely beside the point. The point is that anyone who goes to Hell, I don't care when or how, it wasn't BECAUSE their name was blotted out. Their name was blotted out for the same reason they're going to Hell. In other words, the blotting out of names and the going to Hell do not have a cause and effect relationship between them. Rather they both share the same cause. That cause being sin, as the verses you've quoted in previous posts explicitly state.
I think you are wrong. God will blot out of His book the names of people in the present age who wickedly monkey around with His Word.

Revelation 22:19
And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Translation: I'm in a corner that I can't think of a way out of. I must therefore discredit the validity of the question by calling it foolish. I don't need to explain why it's foolish, all that is necessary is for me to proclaim it foolish and the job will be done.

Classic - textbook - ad hominem argument!

Appeal to the stone (or appeal to ridicule, I suppose) rather, but yes, a fallacy nonetheless!

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I think you are wrong. God will blot out of His book the names of people in the present age who wickedly monkey around with His Word.

Revelation 22:19
And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
Your personal opinion means nothing to me.

Revelation was written to Jewish believers. Believers who were (will be) under the law.

Of course, you wouldn't know that because your doctrine came directly from God Himself , right?

I will NOT discuss the dispensational issue with you any further. It is not relevant to the discussion at hand. I repeat....

The point is that anyone who goes to Hell, I don't care when or how, it wasn't BECAUSE their name was blotted out. Their name was blotted out for the same reason they're going to Hell. In other words, the blotting out of names and the going to Hell do not have a cause and effect relationship between them. Rather they both share the same cause. That cause being sin, as the verses you've quoted in previous posts explicitly state.

Now, if you'd like to address that point, we can continue. Otherwise, I'll assume you either agree or are unable to answer it since your own proof texting has gone to support the point.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Appeal to the stone (or appeal to ridicule, I suppose) rather, but yes, a fallacy nonetheless!
You're correct, it is definitely an appeal to the stone fallacy but that is usually just another, more indirect, form of ad hominem.

Appeal to the stone is a logical fallacy that dismisses an argument as untrue or absurd and proves this assertion by stating that the argument is absurd, which is PRECISELY what B57 has done.

"Ad hominem" means "attack the person" This fallacy occurs when, instead of addressing someone's argument or position, you irrelevantly attack the person or some aspect of the person who is making the argument.

He calls it a foolish question without explaining why (stone) but what he intends to communicate is that the person asking the question is a fool and can therefore be safely ignored (hominem).

Kudos for even knowing what an appeal to the stone fallacy even is, by the way! Most people have never heard of that one. I don't think I've ever heard it referrence more than once or twice and I don't recall having ever seen it referenced here on TOL. Very nice! It almost makes me wish you and I had something we disagreed about! That would be fun!

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You're correct, it is definitely an appeal to the stone fallacy but that is usually just another, more indirect, form of ad hominem.

Appeal to the stone is a logical fallacy that dismisses an argument as untrue or absurd and proves this assertion by stating that the argument is absurd, which is PRECISELY what B57 has done.

"Ad hominem" means "attack the person" This fallacy occurs when, instead of addressing someone's argument or position, you irrelevantly attack the person or some aspect of the person who is making the argument.

He calls it a foolish question without explaining why (stone) but what he intends to communicate is that the person asking the question is a fool and can therefore be safely ignored (hominem).

Fair enough.

Yeah, I'm usually pretty thick skinned (or maybe just thick-headed, haha) so I'm not affected by indirect attacks on my person, or I just don't even notice them to begin with.

Kudos for even knowing what an appeal to the stone fallacy even is, by the way! Most people have never heard of that one. I don't think I've ever heard it referrence more than once or twice and I don't recall having ever seen it referenced here on TOL. Very nice!

I've used it a bunch here on TOL in the Politics section, mostly when I'm in a discussion with people like Arthur Brain and eider and others like them, because they usually end up resorting to fallacious arguments when they find out they can't defend their position rationally.

It almost makes me wish you and I had something we disagreed about! That would be fun!

There are a few things we disagree on, iirc. But nothing worth mentioning here, haha.