h**ps://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2021/A8378
h**ps://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2021/A2240

looks like some of them have been removed
a822 a3091 but not a416
FG5ob3EVcAEIPx7
Lovely ☹️

Skeeter

Banned
Should a known carrier of a lethal communicable disease during a declared health crisis just be allowed to mingle if they so choose? --- because Freedom?

Skeeter

Banned
I declare [whatever is wrong with skeeter] to be a lethal, communicable disease in the midst of a health crisis.

There. The authorities will be by to pick you up shortly.
What you declare is meaningless because you are not a state governor duly elected by the people. And, even a governor is charged to act reasonably. If it was obvious the disease was not really communicable or serious, a violation of the Constitution has occurred and the state can be sued.

Skeeter

Banned
🤪
You have a very broad definition of "lethal".
The VAST MAJORITY of people that get COVID do not die from it.
I haven't referenced covid and neither does the legislation. The legal language addresses a epidemic generically. If you wanted to make a good point, you could suggest that the legislation operationalize the level of risk needed for a governor to allow quarantine rather than leave it to the governor's discretion. But, did you do that? No.

Skeeter

Banned
like HIV positive ?
Yes. But, the restrictedness should be rationally related to our understanding of the particular virus. HIV was not an airborne disease. They really should have required testing before entering a bath house or similar. A case could be made for quarantining a promiscuous person who refused to use contraception during the early years of AIDS epidemic.

Skeeter

Banned
How about the flu?
It is a lethal airborne virus that kills ~30,000 people in the US every year.
Good question. I do not know how to draw the line on how serious the risk must be in order to mandate restrictions. Some level of risk must be tolerated, but how much?

Derf

Good question. I do not know how to draw the line on how serious the risk must be in order to mandate restrictions. Some level of risk must be tolerated, but how much?
The risk level can be reduced by everybody taking note of their own symptoms and not going out to share them with others. Mandating lockdowns for healthy people was harmful to society in general and to some people specifically.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
What you declare is meaningless because you are not a state governor duly elected by the people. And, even a governor is charged to act reasonably. If it was obvious the disease was not really communicable or serious, a violation of the Constitution has occurred and the state can be sued.

Skeeter

Banned
Tomo,

This is my understanding: The Federal Government has immunity from suit. State government supposedly has to give you permission to sue them. You can sue the officials involved and in this way seek accountability.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Tomo,

This is my understanding: The Federal Government has immunity from suit. State government supposedly has to give you permission to sue them. You can sue the officials involved and in this way seek accountability.
Oh...Thanks for the info. Your knowledge and acumen are appreciated.

Skeeter

Banned
The risk level can be reduced by everybody taking note of their own symptoms and not going out to share them with others. Mandating lockdowns for healthy people was harmful to society in general and to some people specifically.
That depends on how contagious the virus is in asymptomatic carriers. Lock downs may be needed when a new virus emerges with potential to be the next black plague. Events that look like overreaction in hindsight, may under other circumstances save countless lives. We do have to balance things though, because repeated shocks to the economy can also have very negative results.

Derf

That depends on how contagious the virus is in asymptomatic carriers. Lock downs may be needed when a new virus emerges with potential to be the next black plague. Events that look like overreaction in hindsight, may under other circumstances save countless lives. We do have to balance things though, because repeated shocks to the economy can also have very negative results.
Not for almost 2 years in some places. Definitely an overreaction.

The plague is an interesting example, because it highlights biblical measures that could have been taken to minimize the reach, like burying fecal matter and taking rotting garbage away from homes and businesses.

I’m not saying you do nothing. And sometimes a lockdown of limited extant is necessary, and biblical. You quarantine the sick, along with their households. People need to be responsible for not getting on public transportation when they are symptomatic. And any time a society ceases to do the things that protect others from spread of disease, tyrants will arise to do it for them. But tyrants they are, and not to be allowed to continue in their tyranny.