uh oh USA

Skeeter

Banned
Not for almost 2 years in some places. Definitely an overreaction.

The plague is an interesting example, because it highlights biblical measures that could have been taken to minimize the reach, like burying fecal matter and taking rotting garbage away from homes and businesses.

I’m not saying you do nothing. And sometimes a lockdown of limited extant is necessary, and biblical. You quarantine the sick, along with their households. People need to be responsible for not getting on public transportation when they are symptomatic. And any time a society ceases to do the things that protect others from spread of disease, tyrants will arise to do it for them. But tyrants they are, and not to be allowed to continue in their tyranny.
It is my understanding that the Bible does not show an understanding of germs. It encourages people to eat without washing their hands. I get this second hand from Christopher Hitchens so feel free to correct me on this.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
It encourages people to eat without washing their hands.
I wash my hands when they're dirty.
I wash them after I've used the toilet.
I wash them after I've changed the oil in my car.
I wash them after I've been working in the garden.

Why would I wash them before I eat?

Last edited:

Skeeter

Banned

Jesus reacting to Jewish practice of washing hands before eating:
"Are you so dull?" he asked. "Don't you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him `unclean'? For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean.")

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

"Are you so dull?" he asked. "Don't you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him `unclean'? For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean.")
Wow...This just explains so much. o_O

Derf

Which part of this confusing to you? You can see that they had a practice of washing before they ate, but the Pharisees thought it was a heart command, not a health command. Jesus set them straight.

way 2 go

That depends on how contagious the virus is in asymptomatic carriers. Lock downs may be needed when a new virus emerges with potential to be the next black plague. Events that look like overreaction in hindsight, may under other circumstances save countless lives. We do have to balance things though, because repeated shocks to the economy can also have very negative results.
https://twitter.com/EricMMatheny

If this were a real, honest to God public health emergency, the southern border would be closed and every able-bodied healthcare worker would be standing by. Instead, the southern border is a porous as a cloth face mask and nurses are being fired left and right.

Screenshot_2021-12-20 Ezra Levant 🍁 ( ezralevant) Twter.png

Skeeter

Banned
Which part of this confusing to you?

The part where Jesus's followers do not wash their hands, cups, or plates before eating.
You can see that they had a practice of washing before they ate, but the Pharisees thought it was a heart command, not a health command. Jesus set them straight.
I see where Jesus says washing is not sacred, but where does he clarify that it IS materially healthy.

Derf

The part where Jesus's followers do not wash their hands, cups, or plates before eating.

I see where Jesus says washing is not sacred, but where does he clarify that it IS materially healthy.
Handwashing? I'm not sure Jesus was trying to deal here with handwashing. The levitical laws and priestly duties are a better place to look.

I'm not all that familiar with the handwashing rituals, or where they came from, but Jesus didn't seem to think they were necessary to keep a person holy (clean in the heart). Perhaps Hutchinson was misusing the passage.

Washing and staying away from people for a time after touching a carcass, not getting near other people if you had leprosy or a discharge of blood, or whatnot, or other temporary unclean situations give an indication that God was helping the Israelites to survive better, to not be afflicted with pestilence/disease, even though they didn't know about germs, seems pretty clear.

[Deu 5:29 KJV] O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!
[Deu 5:33 KJV] Ye shall walk in all the ways which the LORD your God hath commanded you, that ye may live, and [that it may be] well with you, and [that] ye may prolong [your] days in the land which ye shall possess.

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
It is my understanding that the Bible does not show an understanding of germs. It encourages people to eat without washing their hands. I get this second hand from Christopher Hitchens so feel free to correct me on this.

You get your understanding of the Bible from an anti-theist?

No wonder you're so kookoo...

Try just reading the Bible. For example, try reading Leviticus 13, 14:8-9,33-48, Numbers 5:1-4, Deuteronomy 23:9-14, and others.

There are plenty of instances, especially in the Mosaic Law, that deal with cleanliness and diseases, many of which are the foundation for our modern understanding of hygiene and health.

Skeeter

Banned
Handwashing? I'm not sure Jesus was trying to deal here with handwashing. The levitical laws and priestly duties are a better place to look.
Apart from what is said elsewhere in the Bible, in this passage Jesus rejects the earlier practice of washing before meals, Sure the practice was not based on an understanding of germs either, and it was a spiritual in nature. But, it did coincide with a healthy habit. Jesus did not help the health of his followers here as thoroughly as he might have. Don't you think this was an opportunity missed to reinforce good hygiene?

I'm not all that familiar with the handwashing rituals, or where they came from, but Jesus didn't seem to think they were necessary to keep a person holy (clean in the heart). Perhaps Hutchinson was misusing the passage.
Hitchens was right. As you can see, I have found the passage, and his point is supported by the text. The Xtians that he was debating did not contradict him either. His larger point was religion can focus people away from critical matters (when based on an antiquated text.)

Derf

Apart from what is said elsewhere in the Bible, in this passage Jesus rejects the earlier practice of washing before meals, Sure the practice was not based on an understanding of germs either, and it was a spiritual in nature. But, it did coincide with a healthy habit. Jesus did not help the health of his followers here as thoroughly as he might have. Don't you think this was an opportunity missed to reinforce good hygiene?
Not at the expense of ingraining man's traditions as if they are as important as God's laws, which seemed to be Jesus's point. But elsewhere Jesus told the people to do everything the pharisees said to do, just don't do as they did.
[Mat 23:3 KJV] All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, [that] observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
[Mat 23:4 KJV] For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay [them] on men's shoulders; but they [themselves] will not move them with one of their fingers.
[Mat 23:5 KJV] But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,

You can see there, and I believe the same was true for your original passage, that the message wasn't to have good hygiene, but to make sure everyone thought you were spiritual and holy in public, but you could do what you wanted in private. Don't be a hypocrite, in other words.

Hitchens was right. As you can see, I have found the passage, and his point is supported by the text. The Xtians that he was debating did not contradict him either. His larger point was religion can focus people away from critical matters (when based on an antiquated text.)
I assume that Hitchens will someday figure out which matters were more critical for him, if he doesn't already know.

Derf

He had cancer, He had great enthusiasm and hope that he had several years to go.

He passed from a living being to inert substances

Do tell. What do you know about me?
You are using Christian terms, but acting like you’re not a believer.