ECT Water baptism commanded for the BoC?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Paul identifies himself as the worst of sinners..,
If that is the case it was only in hyperbole. And according to you he repeated the hyperbole in the very next verse. Your problem is that to do so [repeat the hyperbole] would be redundant with no valid reason to be. And while Paul clearly repeated himself he only ever did so to hammer home a point that was a literal truth. He never repeated hyperbole.

Letsargue

I came here to answer a post or two but it suddenly occurred to me I may have misunderstood because I was being sloppy in reading the the title of this thread...

I did bring up Lydia, and now I realize - she was baptized and her family at the start of believing but once she believed she was then in the body of Christ (BoC)!
Was baptism then for her or her family? No! The time of water baptism was over.

Just like for me. Is water baptism for me - no - because I am already in the body of Christ. You can't go back and redo what has already been done.

Was it for me before I was in the body of Christ?
Now is where we either agree or disagree.

Was it for the Ephesians before they were in the body of Christ?
The Romans? The Philippians? The Corinthians?

Paul asked why be baptized for the dead if the dead are not resurrected?

If we were baptized for Christ then we believe He has been resurrected.
If we believe that then we must believe all those who die here on earth in Him will be resurrected too.

If we are baptized we believe in the resurrection of the dead.

In the New Garden of Eden, the Garden of GOD!!!

WE Who Are IN IT, are to Dress and Keep the Garden!!!

We Plant the SEED On ( "GOOD" / GODLY GROUND )!!

((( THEN ))) WATER IT!!!

((((( THEN ))))) - IT Comes Up From the DEAD!!!!

That "IS" -- (( Jude 1:23 KJV ))!!!!!

(( Read the Laws of God throughout ))!!!

NO Body!!! -- 00-00-00 ----- (( OUT!!! ))!!!

PhilipJames

I can agree that if it means "chief" in 15 then it also means "chief" in 16; however, "...that in me chief..." doesn't make any sense, especially not in the context of the sentence.

Can you provide any substantive evidence to support the idea that Paul was calling himself the chief of sinners in v16?

Hello lighthouse,

Let's give it a try shall we? and Ill use the KJV even if I do find it archaic, but I will also show NAB verses as well for 15 and 16. for the KJV I'm accessing blueletterbible.org and for the NAB, Vatican.va

In Tim 1:9-10 Paul is discussing the unrighteous (sinners)

in vs 12-14 Paul is sharing his own experience of being reconciled from a sinner to a trusted servant of the Gospel.

Note in vs 13 that he receives mercy because he was sinning 'in ignorance and unbelief' (I'll come back to this)

Now in vs 15 and 16 Paul takes his own experience and uses it to teach and important Truth:

vs 15 KJB

This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

vs 15 NAB This saying is trustworthy and deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. Of these I am the foremost.

The word translated as 'chief' in the KJB and 'foremost' in the NAB is the Greek 'protos' which, in my understanding ( and ill admit I am no Greek scholar) can mean first in time or place. That is, first in sequence or rank...

Now clearly Paul is not saying here that he is the first (in sequence) of sinners, (that would be ludicrous) so is he therefore saying he is the first in rank (chief) of sinners... if I was to use todays English.. I would say Paul was calling himself the worst (greatest) of sinners.

vs 16 KJV

Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

vs 16 NAB
But for that reason I was mercifully treated, so that in me, as the foremost, Christ Jesus might display all his patience as an example for those who would come to believe in him for everlasting life.

so vs 16... 'Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy'

For what 'cause' did Paul obtain mercy?...

'that in me first (here again is the word Protos) Jesus Christ might show forth all long-suffering',

First what does long-suffering mean? The NAB says 'patience' but here I think the archaic English actually strikes nearer the mark...

Jesus was showing 'longsuffering' by tolerating Paul's previous unrighteous behaviour.. why? because Paul was sinning in ignorance and unbelief (vs 13)

now to go back to 'Protos'.. if we say it means first in sequence here in vs 16 then we are saying that Paul was the first to whom God shows 'long-suffering'.. that is almost as ludicrous as to suggest that Paul was the first sinner (as was shown above).

so then 'protos' must refer to first in rank.. and in the context of these 2 verses is actually referring to the same 'protos' of the previous verse. so then it's meaning is chief (sinner).

(ill come back to this)

for a pattern

The NAB has 'as an example' but the meaning is the same..

what was the pattern?.. man ignorant and unrighteous.. God, long suffering... Mercy given! (reconciliation)... Eternal life.

to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

So then what is the teaching that Paul serves as a pattern (or example) for? it is the teaching that He just gave in vs 15!

'This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners'

And Paul himself is the 'protos' or 'prime' or 'chief' or 'foremost' example of it!

Peace!
PJ

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Hello lighthouse,

Let's give it a try shall we? and Ill use the KJV even if I do find it archaic, but I will also show NAB verses as well for 15 and 16. for the KJV I'm accessing blueletterbible.org and for the NAB, Vatican.va
Why not the original Greek?

As for the KJV being archaic, I am well versed in the language of the time, as I was first educated in a private school that insisted upon it and also as a fan of Shakespeare.

In Tim 1:9-10 Paul is discussing the unrighteous (sinners)

in vs 12-14 Paul is sharing his own experience of being reconciled from a sinner to a trusted servant of the Gospel.

Note in vs 13 that he receives mercy because he was sinning 'in ignorance and unbelief' (I'll come back to this)

Now in vs 15 and 16 Paul takes his own experience and uses it to teach and important Truth:

vs 15 KJB

This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

vs 15 NAB This saying is trustworthy and deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. Of these I am the foremost.

The word translated as 'chief' in the KJB and 'foremost' in the NAB is the Greek 'protos' which, in my understanding ( and ill admit I am no Greek scholar) can mean first in time or place. That is, first in sequence or rank...

Now clearly Paul is not saying here that he is the first (in sequence) of sinners, (that would be ludicrous) so is he therefore saying he is the first in rank (chief) of sinners... if I was to use todays English.. I would say Paul was calling himself the worst (greatest) of sinners.
Nope.

He is saying he is first in sequence among sinners saved. And it is for this reason that in v16 he refers to a pattern. He is the first in a pattern.
Paul is far from being the worst sinner, even in his day. Very far.

vs 16 KJV

Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

vs 16 NAB
But for that reason I was mercifully treated, so that in me, as the foremost, Christ Jesus might display all his patience as an example for those who would come to believe in him for everlasting life.

so vs 16... 'Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy'

For what 'cause' did Paul obtain mercy?...

'that in me first (here again is the word Protos) Jesus Christ might show forth all long-suffering',

First what does long-suffering mean? The NAB says 'patience' but here I think the archaic English actually strikes nearer the mark...

Jesus was showing 'longsuffering' by tolerating Paul's previous unrighteous behaviour.. why? because Paul was sinning in ignorance and unbelief (vs 13)

now to go back to 'Protos'.. if we say it means first in sequence here in vs 16 then we are saying that Paul was the first to whom God shows 'long-suffering'.. that is almost as ludicrous as to suggest that Paul was the first sinner (as was shown above).

so then 'protos' must refer to first in rank.. and in the context of these 2 verses is actually referring to the same 'protos' of the previous verse. so then it's meaning is chief (sinner).

(ill come back to this)
No.

Paul was the first to be saved in the dispensation of grace, according to the mystery shown him. Not because he was the first to whom Christ showed longsuffering, but because he was the first saved by grace not under the law.

for a pattern

The NAB has 'as an example' but the meaning is the same..

what was the pattern?.. man ignorant and unrighteous.. God, long suffering... Mercy given! (reconciliation)... Eternal life.

to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.

So then what is the teaching that Paul serves as a pattern (or example) for? it is the teaching that He just gave in vs 15!

'This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners'

And Paul himself is the 'protos' or 'prime' or 'chief' or 'foremost' example of it!

Peace!
PJ

What do you think Paul meant when he referred to himself as though he were "one born out of due time"? 1 Corinthians 15:8

P.S.
Out of the KJV family I prefer the NKJV.

PhilipJames

Hello Lighthouse,

Why not the original Greek?

As I said, I'm no Greek scholar. ;)

As for the KJV being archaic, I am well versed in the language of the time, as I was first educated in a private school that insisted upon it and also as a fan of Shakespeare.

Well that's good for you, but not 70% of English-speaking people today i'd wager... which makes it about as good as a standard as Jerome's vulgate (and probably less).

He is saying he is first in sequence among sinners saved.

I see. You think no one saved before Paul? Want me to list a few? peter, John, James, Apollos, Cornelius, Mary,.....

I'm sorry that idea is also, it seems to me, ludicrous. On what basis do you deny all the previous members of the Church being saved?

What do you think Paul meant when he referred to himself as though he were "one born out of due time"? 1 Corinthians 15:8

he meant exactly what he said in the next verse: For I am the least of the apostles, not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

(and that rather jives with my reading of 1 Tim....)

If he were born normally, as the other apostles, he would have been with them at the beginning of the Church, instead of joining them later, after trying to destroy it.

Why did Paul first go to see the other apostles?

P.S.
Out of the KJV family I prefer the NKJV.

Cool. I hope you don't mind my using the NAB.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
As I said, I'm no Greek scholar. ;)
You don't even seem to trust yourself to do research.

Well that's good for you, but not 70% of English-speaking people today i'd wager... which makes it about as good as a standard as Jerome's vulgate (and probably less).
Irrelevant as this is a discussion between the two of us and not them.

I see. You think no one saved before Paul? Want me to list a few? peter, John, James, Apollos, Cornelius, Mary,.....
I can show you they were not. Especially Cornelius, as the events in Acts 10 took place after the events in Acts 9.

As for the rest: Acts 15:11, Matthew 10:22, 24:13 and Mark 13:13. Just to name a few.

Although your argument for Apollos is suspect as he is not mentioned at all until after Paul is saved.

I'm sorry that idea is also, it seems to me, ludicrous. On what basis do you deny all the previous members of the Church being saved?
Their salvation was to come. They were looking forward to it.

And yet, regardless, none before Paul were saved under grace and not under the law.

he meant exactly what he said in the next verse: For I am the least of the apostles, not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

(and that rather jives with my reading of 1 Tim....)

If he were born normally, as the other apostles, he would have been with them at the beginning of the Church, instead of joining them later, after trying to destroy it.

Why did Paul first go to see the other apostles?
Could it be because the fig tree did not bear the fruit desired in the year it was afforded? Seriously, why Paul? There were already twelve, as Matthias replaced Judas, which covered all the twelve tribes. And as Jesus gave those 12 the Great Commission why did He need to make an apostle to the Gentiles?

Paul went to the 12 because they needed to understand his calling, and that it was from Christ. It was for this reason God gave Peter the vision as recorded in Acts 10.

Cool. I hope you don't mind my using the NAB.
Not at all.

PhilipJames

hello Lighthouse,

I can show you they were not. Especially Cornelius, as the events in Acts 10 took place after the events in Acts 9.

Ah, my mistake, your are correct that (if the events in 9 and 10 are in fact sequential) Cornelius is born into the Kingdom after Paul is likewise Baptized.

Although your argument for Apollos is suspect as he is not mentioned at all until after Paul is saved.

I guess that depends on how you decide when one is 'saved'.

Was Apollos saved, by Grace, the day he believed that Jesus was his messiah and King?
Was he saved, by Grace, the day Jesus died on the cross? (of course! we all were)
Was he saved, by Grace, the day Jesus rose from the dead? (of course! as are all who come to partake of that eternal Life!)
Was he saved ,by Grace, when he went forth proclaiming Jesus as King and Messiah, but knowing naught but the baptism of John? (truly remarkable faith for one without the Spirit!),
was he saved by Grace, the day he was Baptized with the Holy Spirit and was born into the kingdom he had been proclaiming?

was he saved, by Grace, the day he died and stood before the ONE who judges all things?

Their salvation was to come. They were looking forward to it.

Indeed. as is mine, and I look forward to eternity in heaven as well.

That is called the 'hope of eternal life' which, although we partake of that eternal life now (especially through the Eucharist), we press on as though we have not attained it yet: Phl 3:11-15

Does that mean we are not 'saved'? Again, as with Apollos... where do you pinpoint when one is saved?

Was Peter saved by Grace, the day Jesus called him from his nets? Was peter saved by Grace, the day He said to Jesus: 'where else can we go, you have the words of eternal life' or perhaps when he said 'you are the Messiah, the Son of the Living God'
Was Peter saved by Grace, when he partook of the celebration of the New Covenant for the first time?
was peter saved by Grace when Jesus died on the cross and rose again?
was peter saved by Grace, when he was baptized with the Holy Spirit, along with the other apostles... the day the Church was born.

was Peter saved by Grace, the day God gave him the strength to endure a martyrs death?

was Peter saved by Grace, when He stood before the ONE who judges all and was welcomed into heaven?

And yet, regardless, none before Paul were saved under grace and not under the law.

You are mistaken. Jesus' death was the end of the LAW. The New Covenant had begun. And ALL who came to him then, those before Paul and those after Paul are indeed saved 'under Grace'.

Could it be because the fig tree did not bear the fruit desired in the year it was afforded?

Nice try. But the tree that our Lord planted has grown to fill the whole Earth, (as HE said it would), I think a billion or so souls born into the Kingdom of God, who have faith In Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour is a reasonable amount of fruit.... (never to late to produce some more though..)

Paul went to the 12 because they needed to understand his calling, and that it was from Christ.

Perhaps (but I don't think Paul himself is entirely clear what his calling will be at this time), and that doesn't seem likely from the text of Chapters 9 and 10 (especially if the events are sequential as you suggested earlier). If Paul had already explained his calling to Peter, Peter's vision would hardly have been surprising to him.

No, rather I think Paul goes to Jerusalem to see the apostles to show that he is now one of them , and to join them in proclaiming the Risen Lord! And he does this mightily in the Temple!

And it is while in the temple that he hears the call to go the gentiles:

Acts 22:17-21

It was for this reason God gave Peter the vision as recorded in Acts 10

to be continued...

PhilipJames

Seriously, why Paul?

I can give you a few reasons...

We have already discussed and apparently disagree on what the first one one means ;) :

1.Jesus came to save sinners and Paul is the prime example.

2. As a penance for his persecution of the Church (Acts 9:16)

3. Paul, as a trained theologian ( a Pharisee) is well equipped to discourse with the Hellenistic world, to draw them from ideas in Philisophy and pagan religion to the True Light that is Christ.

There were already twelve, as Matthias replaced Judas, which covered all the twelve tribes. And as Jesus gave those 12 the Great Commission why did He need to make an apostle to the Gentiles?

Because just as each apostle represents a tribe of Israel, so to do the gentiles (a people now brought near who were far away, a people who were not a people that now ARE a people, a people who were wild olives that have now been grafted on to the cultivated olive...) require a representative in the council of elders...

It was for this reason God gave Peter the vision as recorded in Acts 10.

Rather, in line with the above, Peter as chief of the apostolic council is given this vision so that (as in Acts 15:7) he is seen to be a pastor over the whole church (not just a tribe of Israel). Note that this does not diminish in any way, Paul's mission (or position!) as apostle to the Gentiles.

Peace!
PJ

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I guess that depends on how you decide when one is 'saved'.

Was Apollos saved, by Grace, the day he believed that Jesus was his messiah and King?
Was he saved, by Grace, the day Jesus died on the cross? (of course! we all were)
Was he saved, by Grace, the day Jesus rose from the dead? (of course! as are all who come to partake of that eternal Life!)
Was he saved ,by Grace, when he went forth proclaiming Jesus as King and Messiah, but knowing naught but the baptism of John? (truly remarkable faith for one without the Spirit!),
was he saved by Grace, the day he was Baptized with the Holy Spirit and was born into the kingdom he had been proclaiming?

1. Can you show any of these from the Bible?
  2. If you are correct then no one was saved before Paul, making your argument moot.

was he saved, by Grace, the day he died and stood before the ONE who judges all things?
Had he endured unto the end? Or was he saved prior to that? Do we stand before God for judgment on the day we die, or is that reserved for the Day of Judgment?

Indeed. as is mine, and I look forward to eternity in heaven as well.

That is called the 'hope of eternal life' which, although we partake of that eternal life now (especially through the Eucharist), we press on as though we have not attained it yet: Phl 3:11-15

Does that mean we are not 'saved'? Again, as with Apollos... where do you pinpoint when one is saved?

Was Peter saved by Grace, the day Jesus called him from his nets? Was peter saved by Grace, the day He said to Jesus: 'where else can we go, you have the words of eternal life' or perhaps when he said 'you are the Messiah, the Son of the Living God'
Was Peter saved by Grace, when he partook of the celebration of the New Covenant for the first time?
was peter saved by Grace when Jesus died on the cross and rose again?
was peter saved by Grace, when he was baptized with the Holy Spirit, along with the other apostles... the day the Church was born.

was Peter saved by Grace, the day God gave him the strength to endure a martyrs death?

was Peter saved by Grace, when He stood before the ONE who judges all and was welcomed into heaven?[/quote]
Do you even know what the Bible says?

It seems to me you are merely speculating.

You are mistaken. Jesus' death was the end of the LAW. The New Covenant had begun. And ALL who came to him then, those before Paul and those after Paul are indeed saved 'under Grace'.
That's not what the Bible says. Read it again.

Nice try. But the tree that our Lord planted has grown to fill the whole Earth, (as HE said it would), I think a billion or so souls born into the Kingdom of God, who have faith In Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour is a reasonable amount of fruit.... (never to late to produce some more though..)
Do you seriously not know the parable of the fig tree? Or that the fig tree represents Israel?

And where, exactly, did Jesus make that statement about the tree?

Perhaps (but I don't think Paul himself is entirely clear what his calling will be at this time), and that doesn't seem likely from the text of Chapters 9 and 10 (especially if the events are sequential as you suggested earlier). If Paul had already explained his calling to Peter, Peter's vision would hardly have been surprising to him.

No, rather I think Paul goes to Jerusalem to see the apostles to show that he is now one of them , and to join them in proclaiming the Risen Lord! And he does this mightily in the Temple!

And it is while in the temple that he hears the call to go the gentiles:

Acts 22:17-21

to be continued...
Actually Barnabas took Paul to see the apostles. And from the wording it seems this took place some time after acts 10. Luke was simply relaying Paul's story in the narrative before moving on to Peter's story, which took place after Paul's experience on the road to Damascus, but before Peter and Paul met.

I can give you a few reasons...

We have already discussed and apparently disagree on what the first one one means ;) :

1.Jesus came to save sinners and Paul is the prime example.

2. As a penance for his persecution of the Church (Acts 9:16)

3. Paul, as a trained theologian ( a Pharisee) is well equipped to discourse with the Hellenistic world, to draw them from ideas in Philisophy and pagan religion to the True Light that is Christ.
As far as the latter two are concerned, why no one else? Paul was not the only one guilty of such persecution, nor the only trained theologian/pharisee.

Because just as each apostle represents a tribe of Israel, so to do the gentiles (a people now brought near who were far away, a people who were not a people that now ARE a people, a people who were wild olives that have now been grafted on to the cultivated olive...) require a representative in the council of elders...
But the Gentiles were supposed to be brought in by the 12, according to the Great Commission. And Paul's name does not appear on the temple walls along with the others. Nor do the Gentiles with the names of the 12 tribes.

Rather, in line with the above, Peter as chief of the apostolic council is given this vision so that (as in Acts 15:7) he is seen to be a pastor over the whole church (not just a tribe of Israel). Note that this does not diminish in any way, Paul's mission (or position!) as apostle to the Gentiles.

Peace!
PJ
So you're a Catholic?

PhilipJames

If you are correct then no one was saved before Paul, making your argument moot.

ïf you are referring to my comment that we are all saved at the cross, well
1. it's easy to show and
2. From that viewpoint no one is saved either before OR after Paul so then 'Christ came to save sinners and of them I am chief' is clearly referring to chief of sinners and not first sinner saved...

Of course if instead you would rather pick a particular temporal event in the life of a believer to say... aha this day he was saved by Grace, there again you will find those saved 'before' Paul.

Don't like my previous examples? Consider Stephen. He was already saved and in eternity before Paul ever knew that Paul was saved. In fact Paul helped send him there ;)

Had he endured unto the end? Or was he saved prior to that?
Yes and Yes

Do we stand before God for judgment on the day we die, or is that reserved for the Day of Judgment?

to each there is particular judgment the day our bodies dies. ('it is appointed for man once to die and then the judgment')

Do you even know what the Bible says?

It seems to me you are merely speculating.

Have I? Or have I been demonstrating what one finds in scripture: that by Grace we have been saved, that by Grace we are being saved, and that by Grace we will be saved (if we remain in that Grace)

and I certainly wasn't speculating here:

Do you seriously not know the parable of the fig tree? Or that the fig tree represents Israel?

there is more than one parable with a fig tree, and I believe I'm familiar with them all. What is it you think I'm missing?

And where, exactly, did Jesus make that statement about the tree?

Have you not heard the parable of the mustard seed? If you are having trouble with it, read Dan 2:35.

Actually Barnabas took Paul... but before Peter and Paul met.

And now you are speculating.. The timeline here is not very clear. What IS clear, however, is that it was while at Jerusalem praying in the temple that Paul heard his call to go to the gentiles.

As far as the latter two are concerned, why no one else? Paul was not the only one guilty of such persecution, nor the only trained theologian/pharisee.

Guess you'll have to ask Jesus that next time you see HIM. We could just as easily ask why pick Peter, a simple fisherman, to be chief of the apostles...

But the Gentiles were supposed to be brought in by the 12, according to the Great Commission.

and so they were. Just as Paul brought in not just gentiles but also Jews. Each went to his allotted territory, to the Jew first then to the gentiles... that is the pattern.

And Paul's name does not appear on the temple walls along with the others.

Doesn't it? I wouldn't be so sure of that.... Now this IS speculation: obviously Judas is not one, but is it Matthias or Paul in the twelveth place... Guess it depends if its the one they cast lots for or the 12 that were picked directly by Jesus. In either event... so what?

Nor do the Gentiles with the names of the 12 tribes.

does that bother you? As a gentile I am overjoyed that I can go in out those pearly gates at will. If the Lord chooses to honour HIS chosen people in a special way, does that surprise you?

So you're a Catholic?

Everyone who is born into the kingdom of God is catholic (by definition!) whether they recognize it or not. Jesus only has ONE body. The hand cannot say to the foot... I don't need you, neither can the branch say to the trunk, I have nothing to do with you...

Peace!
PJ

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
ïf you are referring to my comment that we are all saved at the cross, well
1. it's easy to show and
2. From that viewpoint no one is saved either before OR after Paul so then 'Christ came to save sinners and of them I am chief' is clearly referring to chief of sinners and not first sinner saved...

Of course if instead you would rather pick a particular temporal event in the life of a believer to say... aha this day he was saved by Grace, there again you will find those saved 'before' Paul.

Don't like my previous examples? Consider Stephen. He was already saved and in eternity before Paul ever knew that Paul was saved. In fact Paul helped send him there ;)
You're assuming Stephen didn't go to Abraham's Bosom.

And if it's so easy to show, show it.

Yes and Yes
While I see no reason to disagree with the first, I would ask you to show the latter.

to each there is particular judgment the day our bodies dies. ('it is appointed for man once to die and then the judgment')
You're making an assumption.

Have I? Or have I been demonstrating what one finds in scripture: that by Grace we have been saved, that by Grace we are being saved, and that by Grace we will be saved (if we remain in that Grace)
Show it.

and I certainly wasn't speculating here:
Resurrection from the dead is not salvation.

there is more than one parable with a fig tree, and I believe I'm familiar with them all. What is it you think I'm missing?
Do I really need to explain to you to which one I'm referring?

Have you not heard the parable of the mustard seed? If you are having trouble with it, read Dan 2:35.
None of those say what you said.

And now you are speculating.. The timeline here is not very clear. What IS clear, however, is that it was while at Jerusalem praying in the temple that Paul heard his call to go to the gentiles.
Which is irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Guess you'll have to ask Jesus that next time you see HIM. We could just as easily ask why pick Peter, a simple fisherman, to be chief of the apostles...
You think Peter was still just a simple fisherman after three years with Jesus?

You think Jesus would pick a simple fisherman to be the prime apostle of the 12 and then turn around and choose a most learned man to be the apostle to the Gentiles because he was learned?

and so they were. Just as Paul brought in not just gentiles but also Jews. Each went to his allotted territory, to the Jew first then to the gentiles... that is the pattern.
Then why this agreement?

But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised had been committed to me, as the gospel for the circumcised was to Peter (for He who worked effectively in Peter for the apostleship to the circumcised also worked effectively in me toward the Gentiles), and when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that had been given to me, they gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised.
-Galatians 2:7-9

Doesn't it? I wouldn't be so sure of that.... Now this IS speculation: obviously Judas is not one, but is it Matthias or Paul in the twelveth place... Guess it depends if its the one they cast lots for or the 12 that were picked directly by Jesus. In either event... so what?
If it s not Paul then what does that mean?

does that bother you? As a gentile I am overjoyed that I can go in out those pearly gates at will. If the Lord chooses to honour HIS chosen people in a special way, does that surprise you?
No it doesn't bother me. Are you daft? I'm pointing it out because it means something.

Everyone who is born into the kingdom of God is catholic (by definition!) whether they recognize it or not. Jesus only has ONE body. The hand cannot say to the foot... I don't need you, neither can the branch say to the trunk, I have nothing to do with you...

Peace!
PJ
You're assuming the RCC is part of the Body.

PhilipJames

You're assuming Stephen didn't go to Abraham's Bosom.

Not assuming at all. Stephen went to 'be with the Lord' (2Co5:8)

And if it's so easy to show, show it.

Really? You need me to show that we are all saved at the cross? start reading at Mat 1:1 and keep going till you get to Rev 22:21..

Need it condensed for you?: Rom 5:18

While I see no reason to disagree with the first, I would ask you to show the latter.

Need me to show that Peter endured to the end? Here: John 21:17-19

Resurrection from the dead is not salvation.

You think not? What is it we are saved from?

Do I really need to explain to you to which one I'm referring?
Apparently yes.

None of those say what you said.

Matt 13:31-32

He proposed another parable to them. "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed that a person took and sowed in a field.
It is the smallest of all the seeds, yet when full-grown it is the largest of plants. It becomes a large bush, and the 'birds of the sky come and dwell in its branches.'"

Dan2:35 'The iron, tile, bronze, silver, and gold all crumbled at once, fine as the chaff on the threshing floor in summer, and the wind blew them away without leaving a trace. But the stone that struck the statue became a great mountain and filled the whole earth.'

Which is irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Ah, backtracking on your answer as to why Paul first went to see the apostles...

You think Peter was still just a simple fisherman after three years with Jesus?

Yep. (John 21:3)

You think Jesus would pick a simple fisherman to be the prime apostle of the 12 and then turn around and choose a most learned man to be the apostle to the Gentiles because he was learned?

one of the reasons yep.

Then why this agreement?

It is a division of territory. (Rom 15:20, 2cor10:16)

If it s not Paul then what does that mean?
No it doesn't bother me. Are you daft? I'm pointing it out because it means something.

well then, assume I am daft... what do you think it means?

You're assuming the RCC is part of the Body.

Assuming? no, I can attest with full assurance that 'Roman' catholics, 'Orthodox' catholics, 'Coptic' catholics as well as any others who have been born into the Kingdom of God, are indeed members of the 'Body'.

Peace!
PJ

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Not assuming at all. Stephen went to 'be with the Lord' (2Co5:8)
Paul wrote that of the Body of Christ. Stephen was not in the Body, for Stephen was of Israel [the circumcised].

Really? You need me to show that we are all saved at the cross? start reading at Mat 1:1 and keep going till you get to Rev 22:21..
:doh:

As expected, you have nothing to back up your assertion.

Need it condensed for you?: Rom 5:18
You think justification and salvation are the same thing?

Need me to show that Peter endured to the end? Here: John 21:17-19
No, I don't need you to show me. And I guarantee that passage doesn't show it; as Peter was alive and well at that time.

You think not? What is it we are saved from?
A great many things.

But my logic rests in that we have been saved by grace but have not yet attained resurrection from the dead.

Apparently yes.
Luke 13:6-9

Matt 13:31-32

He proposed another parable to them. "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed that a person took and sowed in a field.
It is the smallest of all the seeds, yet when full-grown it is the largest of plants. It becomes a large bush, and the 'birds of the sky come and dwell in its branches.'"

Dan2:35 'The iron, tile, bronze, silver, and gold all crumbled at once, fine as the chaff on the threshing floor in summer, and the wind blew them away without leaving a trace. But the stone that struck the statue became a great mountain and filled the whole earth.'
You're conflating.

Ah, backtracking on your answer as to why Paul first went to see the apostles...
No. I am admitting error. I made an assumption and I should not have.

Yep. (John 21:3)
If the Pope goes fishing is he just a simple fisherman?

one of the reasons yep.
You are quite backwards.

It is a division of territory. (Rom 15:20, 2cor10:16)
So the 12 disregarded the Great Commission as a result of Jesus calling out Paul?

well then, assume I am daft... what do you think it means?
It means the Body of Christ is separate from the Circumcision. Things are different for the two groups.

Assuming? no, I can attest with full assurance that 'Roman' catholics, 'Orthodox' catholics, 'Coptic' catholics as well as any others who have been born into the Kingdom of God, are indeed members of the 'Body'.

Peace!
PJ
Then you should be able to prove it.

PhilipJames

Paul wrote that of the Body of Christ. Stephen was not in the Body, for Stephen was of Israel [the circumcised].

I see. So you are denying that Stephen was a member of Christ's body? Are you denying that Stephen was saved by Grace?

As expected, you have nothing to back up your assertion.

This is said specifically in regards to :

So are you denying that we are saved by Jesus' death on the cross?

You think justification and salvation are the same thing?

well if you want to get down to definition of terms... feel free to define each for me and we can go from there...

No, I don't need you to show me. And I guarantee that passage doesn't show it; as Peter was alive and well at that time.

Do you deny that the Lord had knowledge of these things? Are you calling HIM a liar?

A great many things.

Please list them. As I am being (or to be) saved. I would like to know what I am being saved from.

But my logic rests in that we have been saved by grace but have not yet attained resurrection from the dead.

Your logic? Sorry. I'll stick to the logic of the LOGOS spoken of in John 1:1. I KNOW that HE speaks the TRUTH!

Luke 13:6-9

OK, what does that parable say that you think I'm missing?

No. I am admitting error. I made an assumption and I should not have.

no problem. Being able to recognize our own error (and leave it behind) is crucial to following our Master!

Why do you think Paul went to see the apostles in Jerusalem the second time?

If the Pope goes fishing is he just a simple fisherman?

I guess that depends if he was a simple fisherman before he was pope. ;)

So the 12 disregarded the Great Commission as a result of Jesus calling out Paul?

Not at all. If anything, Paul renewed and invigorated their faith and helped them to realize the full potential of the message that they had been given.

It means the Body of Christ is separate from the Circumcision. Things are different for the two groups.

if you believe this, then you haven't heard Paul's message... that there is no longer a division between Jew and Gentile in Christ! You are doing the very thing that the 'Judaizers' were doing but from the opposite perspective...

As I love you, lighthouse, and I know that what you do, you do for the Glory of God... open up your heart!

Peace, and LOVE!
PhilipJames

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I see. So you are denying that Stephen was a member of Christ's body? Are you denying that Stephen was saved by Grace?
Stephen was saved because he endured to the end, keeping the law plus by grace.

So are you denying that we are saved by Jesus' death on the cross?
Our salvation rests on more than His death on the cross.

well if you want to get down to definition of terms... feel free to define each for me and we can go from there...
δικαίωμα
δικαίωσις

σώζω
σωτηρία
σωτήριον

Do you deny that the Lord had knowledge of these things? Are you calling HIM a liar?
Completely irrelevant. You mentioned Peter enduring to the end and posted a passage of Scripture that did not show one way or the other, because it had nothing to do with the end for Peter. I attest and affirm Peter did endure. That passage, however, is not evidence of that fact.

Please list them. As I am being (or to be) saved. I would like to know what I am being saved from.
You do not know? That is telling.

Your logic? Sorry. I'll stick to the logic of the LOGOS spoken of in John 1:1. I KNOW that HE speaks the TRUTH!
You think my logic contradicts His?

Ephesians 2:8 tells us we ave been saved.

Philippians 3:7-14 tells us that resurrection from the dead has not yet been attained. As you admitted, when you brought up the passage.

Thus they are not the same thing.

OK, what does that parable say that you think I'm missing?
Who do you think is represented by the "certain man," aka the owner of the vineyard [not the keeper]?

Why do you think Paul went to see the apostles in Jerusalem the second time?
Which passage of Scripture relays this story?

I guess that depends if he was a simple fisherman before he was pope. ;)
For the sake of argument assume he was. Is he now nothing more?

Not at all. If anything, Paul renewed and invigorated their faith and helped them to realize the full potential of the message that they had been given.
So they went into all the world, preaching the gospel to every creature?

if you believe this, then you haven't heard Paul's message... that there is no longer a division between Jew and Gentile in Christ! You are doing the very thing that the 'Judaizers' were doing but from the opposite perspective...
Did I say anything about Jews and Gentiles?

Also, Paul said there was no difference in the Body of Christ, not simply in Christ. In Christ and outside of the Body is another matter. Not to mention Stephen died before inception of the Body, so even if you were correct it still wouldn't count Stephen as Paul was saying the division is no longer, from the point of his calling forward. If it were the case prior then Peter would not have needed the vision from God to prepare him for dealing with Cornelius, because he would have already known there was no difference, as would have all the apostles and their converts.

Last edited:

PhilipJames

Hello Lighthouse,

Stephen was saved because he endured to the end,
Well here's something we can agree on! :D

keeping the law plus by grace.

why do you think keeping the 'Law' had anything to do with it?

Our salvation rests on more than His death on the cross.

but anything else that it rests on, draws its power from Christ's death and resurrection. without the cross there is no salvation wouldn't you agree?

I am curious though what more you think it rests on...?

I already said i'm no Greek scholar...you want me to take some time and study all these or can you explain the differences in English to me?

I attest and affirm Peter did endure.

Alleluia! That's 2 things we agree on in one post! :D

You do not know? That is telling.

More telling is that you won't list the 'great many things' you think we're saved from...
Let me start the list for you: Death!

You think my logic contradicts His?

Let's just say I'll trust Jesus' words over any man, no matter if he be a simple fisherman or a brilliant theologian.

Ephesians 2:8 tells us we ave been saved.

Philippians 3:7-14 tells us that resurrection from the dead has not yet been attained. As you admitted, when you brought up the passage.

Thus they are not the same thing. [/quote]

Are they not? I guess that depends which of the 'great many things' we're saved from, that we're talking about.

OK, what does that parable say that you think I'm missing?/quote]
Who do you think is represented by the "certain man," aka the owner of the vineyard [not the keeper]?

You're the one who thinks i'm missing something, you tell me...

Which passage of Scripture relays this story?

Gal 2:1-2

For the sake of argument assume he was. Is he now nothing more?

Of course. he's the chief of the apostolic council.

So they went into all the world,
they or those they ordained to take their places... yes.

preaching the gospel to every creature?

well if you count St. Francis... yes.

Did I say anything about Jews and Gentiles?

You said:

Which clearly contradicts Paul's teaching about the wild and cultivated olives... There is nothing separate for circumcised believers or uncircumcised believers... THAT is Paul's whole message, and that is why he berated Peter for not following his own teaching on the matter, when he ate separately from the gentile believers.

Also, Paul said there was no difference in the Body of Christ, not simply in Christ. In Christ and outside of the Body is another matter.

Please tell me how one can be 'in Christ' and not be a member of His Body?

Not to mention Stephen died before inception of the Body,

The inception of the Body is Jesus proclaiming the Kingdom, The first sharing of the Eucharist, Jesus' death on the cross, and the Holy Spirit poured out on it at Pentecost... Stephen died after all these things... and was certainly a member of that Body.

so even if you were correct it still wouldn't count Stephen as Paul was saying the division is no longer, from the point of his calling forward.

Paul never said that the Body began with him. If you think he did you aren't reading what he said properly.

If it were the case prior then Peter would not have needed the vision from God to prepare him for dealing with Cornelius, because he would have already known there was no difference, as would have all the apostles and their converts.

You are reading 2000 years of the growth of the Church and its understanding of the Truth that is found in Christ and trying to place it into the first followers of Jesus...

Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would lead us into all Truth, not that we would grasp it all immediately....

Peace!
PJ

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
why do you think keeping the 'Law' had anything to do with it?
You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
-James 2:24

but anything else that it rests on, draws its power from Christ's death and resurrection. without the cross there is no salvation wouldn't you agree?

I am curious though what more you think it rests on...?

His death, burial and resurrection. The cross is only involved in the first of those.

I already said i'm no Greek scholar...you want me to take some time and study all these or can you explain the differences in English to me?
They are links. Click on them for the explanations in English.

If you're too incompetent to do that then you're too incompetent to be arguing theology.

More telling is that you won't list the 'great many things' you think we're saved from...
Let me start the list for you: Death!
Actually it's a little simpler than that.

We are saved from sin and all it entails. It's wages [death], it's power, it's condemnation, it's strength, etc.

Let's just say I'll trust Jesus' words over any man, no matter if he be a simple fisherman or a brilliant theologian.
And the words Jesus gave to those men to preach?

Are they not? I guess that depends which of the 'great many things' we're saved from, that we're talking about.
The death from which we are saved is not physical death; the resurrection from which we have not yet attained.

You're the one who thinks i'm missing something, you tell me...

Who came for three years seeking fruit from the fig tree [Israel]?

If you can't figure this out then you really are missing something, and not just the implications of the text.

Gal 2:1-2
Clearly to do exactly as he states in the passage. He went to tell them the message he preached.

Now, why would he do that if it was the same message they preached?

Of course. he's the chief of the apostolic council.
Though we disagree on that at least now you understand that Peter was more than a mere fisherman at the point we are discussing.

they or those they ordained to take their places... yes.
Even though they agreed not to?

well if you count St. Francis... yes.
Even though they agreed not to?

Also, it is clear that "every creature" did not mean the animals.

Which clearly contradicts Paul's teaching about the wild and cultivated olives... There is nothing separate for circumcised believers or uncircumcised believers... THAT is Paul's whole message, and that is why he berated Peter for not following his own teaching on the matter, when he ate separately from the gentile believers.
Nope.

There is the Body and there was the circumcision. Two different groups on the same foundation of Christ. And when the fulness of the Gentiles comes in there will be a return to Israel [the circumcision] to finish with them the plan that was put on hold because the fig tree did not bear the desired fruit.

Paul berated Peter not because Peter ignored the message preached by Paul, but because Peter aced as though the Gentiles were unclean in spite of the events of Acts 10 and post.

Please tell me how one can be 'in Christ' and not be a member of His Body?
During the transition from one dispensation to the next there was overlap.

The inception of the Body is Jesus proclaiming the Kingdom, The first sharing of the Eucharist, Jesus' death on the cross, and the Holy Spirit poured out on it at Pentecost... Stephen died after all these things... and was certainly a member of that Body.
Then why did Stephen die before the first mention of the Body?

Paul never said that the Body began with him. If you think he did you aren't reading what he said properly.
Paul is the only one who ever mentioned the Body. No other biblical author did. Nor did Jesus in the Gospels or God at any other time. Not even the prophets. There is a reason for that.

You are reading 2000 years of the growth of the Church and its understanding of the Truth that is found in Christ and trying to place it into the first followers of Jesus...
All of the understanding of the truth found in Christ is in the book. There is no need to look through the 2000 years. Peter was given the vision because the plan changed.

Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would lead us into all Truth, not that we would grasp it all immediately....
Actually He said, [Jesus]“But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.”[/Jesus]

If there had been no difference from the moment of the d, b & r then Jesus would have told them. The reason for the vision is because it was new at that time.

PhilipJames

You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
-James 2:24

Lighthouse, do you really think that Stephen being saved had anything to do with self-righteous acts under the written Law of Moses? That he had something of which he could boast? If that is true, then anyone can be. Which flies in the face of not only what Paul taught but James too...

Stephen was saved by Grace alone! (as are we all). The 'works' that James speaks of are not empty works of the written 'LAW' but rather that which we do because faith demands it! Love God, Love one another'

It was by Grace that Stephen believed in Christ and it is by Grace through that faith, that he was able to endure to the end. Enduring to the end is a 'work' that is required by faith, (loving GOD) and forgiving those that were murdering him is also a 'work' that Faith requires (loving one another).. Was he able to accomplish this on his own power? NO! It was by the Grace of God, doing what is expected of a child of God.

His death, burial and resurrection. The cross is only involved in the first of those.

Is it so hard to say that without the cross there is no salvation? the burial and resurrection are also necessary, of course, but it is to the cross that 'the writ against us' is nailed...

1co 2:2 'For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified'

Actually it's a little simpler than that.

We are saved from sin and all it entails. It's wages [death], it's power, it's condemnation, it's strength, etc.

The power, condemnation, strength of sin is DEATH! ''You shall not eat it or even touch it, lest you die'

That we will NOT die is the first lie told to men. And the choice that our father Adam made, was DEATH! And since that time all mankind has been bound in death.

The second Adam has freed us from that choice, and offers us once more LIFE! Eternal Life in HIM

The death from which we are saved is not physical death; the resurrection from which we have not yet attained.

We are saved from both spiritual AND physical death. The resurrection of Christ's body is our proof in this. our bodies too, shall be resurrected, made incorruptible and our whole selves will indeed be saved.

Who came for three years seeking fruit from the fig tree [Israel]?

If you can't figure this out then you really are missing something, and not just the implications of the text.

still dancing? you are the one that thinks i'm missing something here... so teach me...

Clearly to do exactly as he states in the passage. He went to tell them the message he preached. Now, why would he do that if it was the same message they preached?.

That's not quite all of it, is it. First he went there because he was prompted by the Holy Spirit to do so.

Then he met privately 'with those in repute' to see if he had not preached his gospel in vain' . Paul was checking with the majesterium of the church, that what he had been teaching was in line with the Truth! And, of course, it was. (they made me add nothing).

But others, 'the Judaizers' spoke out against Paul and those that would not force observance of the LAW on the gentiles. What follows is the first recorded Council of the Church. It is at this council that Peter stands up and definitively declares what the Church doctrine in this matter should be. (acts 15 6-11)

Then James supports Peter and the whole council agrees.

This is the precedent by which all future major doctrinal disputes that arise in the Church become settled.... (eg the doctrine on the Trinity)

Though we disagree on that at least now you understand that Peter was more than a mere fisherman at the point we are discussing.

By the nature of the office he holds, of course he is more...

There is the Body and there was the circumcision. Two different groups on the same foundation of Christ.

If you believe that, you are missing the whole point of Paul's letters about the Judaizers and the LAW... Paul is demonstrating that both the believers who are circumcised and those who were not, ARE ONE BODY! The central thrust of Paul's letters to the churches is all about unity, the bond of peace... ONE faith...'

You are trying to do what the 'Judaizers' were doing but from the opposite perspective... you are excluding the 'circumcised' and separating them from the Church. Paul would be horrified....

And when the fulness of the Gentiles comes in there will be a return to Israel [the circumcision] to finish with them the plan that was put on hold because the fig tree did not bear the desired fruit.

baloney.... the New and Everlasting covenant is here, the Old has passed away... There me a carnal effort by certain people to TRY and re-establish the old covenant, but it will fail miserably....

Paul berated Peter not because Peter ignored the message preached by Paul, but because Peter aced as though the Gentiles were unclean in spite of the events of Acts 10 and post.

You should read the story again. Peter did not treat them as unclean, until a group of 'the circumcised' came to them... then he separated himself.... And this was contrary to the decision of the Council of the Church, to the very doctrine that Peter had outlined at that council. Paul was berating Peter, for not following that doctrine. (i.e for being a hypocrite)

During the transition from one dispensation to the next there was overlap.

The only overlap, was the continued sacrifices in the Temple AFTER the New Covenant was established, before it was destroyed....

There is only one New and Everlasting Covenant, made woith the faithful remnant of Israel, and extended to all men, everywhere.....

Then why did Stephen die before the first mention of the Body?

Paul is the only one who ever mentioned the Body. No other biblical author did. Nor did Jesus in the Gospels or God at any other time. Not even the prophets. There is a reason for that.

Paul may have been the first one to use the analogy of the Body to teach the Unity of the Church, but he certainly wasn't the first to talk about that unity.. In fact Jesus prayed for that unity!

Consider to where Paul says we find that unity: 1Cor 10:16-17

The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?

For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

Paul is referring directly to the celebration of the New Covenant, which, of course began at the Last Supper.... Everyone, who, by Faith, partakes of the Eucharist IS a member of the body.. gentile or Jew....

All of the understanding of the truth found in Christ is in the book.

I don't disagree. But that doesn't mean it can't be misinterpreted. The plethora of doctrinal disputes and heresies down through the centuries which clarified the Church's understanding are there for any to see.. Abandoning the decisions of the Council's (like the first discussed above) opens one up to a reintroduction of heresies long since repudiated.

There is no need to look through the 2000 years. Peter was given the vision because the plan changed.

Or he was given the vision, to shake him out of his own past and realize what the plan was all along...

If there had been no difference from the moment of the d, b & r then Jesus would have told them. The reason for the vision is because it was new at that time.

he DID tell them: Go therefore and make disciples of all nations.... They just needed a little extra push from the Spirit. ;)

Peace!
PJ

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Lighthouse, do you really think that Stephen being saved had anything to do with self-righteous acts under the written Law of Moses? That he had something of which he could boast? If that is true, then anyone can be. Which flies in the face of not only what Paul taught but James too...
Being a doer of the law has nothing to do with self-righteousness. It has nothing to do with righteousness, as righteousness does not come through the law.

However, one who is a follower of Christ in a dispensation wherein they are under the law will be a doer of the law as an obedient response to Him. Because they love Him; not because it saves them.

Paul spoke of a different dispensation than the one which Stephen was in as Paul stated we are not under the law.

Stephen was saved by Grace alone! (as are we all). The 'works' that James speaks of are not empty works of the written 'LAW' but rather that which we do because faith demands it! Love God, Love one another'
Did you just call the written law 'empty'? As in 'void'?

"Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law."
-Romans 3:31

Earlier in the chapter it is said that boasting is excluded, but not by the law of works. Boasting is excluded by the law of faith.

It was by Grace that Stephen believed in Christ and it is by Grace through that faith, that he was able to endure to the end. Enduring to the end is a 'work' that is required by faith, (loving GOD) and forgiving those that were murdering him is also a 'work' that Faith requires (loving one another).. Was he able to accomplish this on his own power? NO! It was by the Grace of God, doing what is expected of a child of God.
ame all the Biblical authors who wrote of salvation by grace through faith and not works.

Then notice that the same did not speak of enduring the end, and vice versa.

And if the law was of no effect for Stephen why did Peter argue with God in his vision in Acts 10?

[qutoe]Is it so hard to say that without the cross there is no salvation? the burial and resurrection are also necessary, of course, but it is to the cross that 'the writ against us' is nailed...

1co 2:2 'For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified'.[/quote]
Did I say otherwise?

The power, condemnation, strength of sin is DEATH! ''You shall not eat it or even touch it, lest you die'
"The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law."
-1 Corinthians 15:56

Try again.

That we will NOT die is the first lie told to men. And the choice that our father Adam made, was DEATH! And since that time all mankind has been bound in death.

The second Adam has freed us from that choice, and offers us once more LIFE! Eternal Life in HIM
No argument here.

We are saved from both spiritual AND physical death. The resurrection of Christ's body is our proof in this. our bodies too, shall be resurrected, made incorruptible and our whole selves will indeed be saved.
A bodily resurrection does not negate the physical death that precedes it.

"And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, "
-Hebrews 9:27

But that actually gets more interesting:

" And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation."
-Hebrews 9:27-28

He will appear again for salvation to those who eagerly await Him. This means the author of Hebrews is stating that salvation hadnot yet come to those in his dispensation, whereas Paul writes of his audience as having already been saved.

still dancing? you are the one that thinks i'm missing something here... so teach me...

Jesus. It was Jesus. His ministry lasted three years, and the fig tree represents Israel.

https://www.biblegateway.com/quicks...ersion=NKJV&searchtype=all&wholewordsonly=yes

That's not quite all of it, is it. First he went there because he was prompted by the Holy Spirit to do so.
Did I deny that?

Then he met privately 'with those in repute' to see if he had not preached his gospel in vain' . Paul was checking with the majesterium of the church, that what he had been teaching was in line with the Truth! And, of course, it was. (they made me add nothing).

But others, 'the Judaizers' spoke out against Paul and those that would not force observance of the LAW on the gentiles. What follows is the first recorded Council of the Church. It is at this council that Peter stands up and definitively declares what the Church doctrine in this matter should be. (acts 15 6-11)

Then James supports Peter and the whole council agrees.

This is the precedent by which all future major doctrinal disputes that arise in the Church become settled.... (eg the doctrine on the Trinity)
Is there a reason you barely reference Scripture?

Did you not notice in Acts 15 that some of the council agreed that the Gentiles shoul follow the law? Why believe this if they did not have to follow it?

What Peter declares is that the Gentiles are under a dfferent dispensation and therefore are not required to be made into Israelite proselytes.

By the nature of the office he holds, of course he is more...
What office? Apostle?

[qote]If you believe that, you are missing the whole point of Paul's letters about the Judaizers and the LAW... Paul is demonstrating that both the believers who are circumcised and those who were not, ARE ONE BODY! The central thrust of Paul's letters to the churches is all about unity, the bond of peace... ONE faith...'

You are trying to do what the 'Judaizers' were doing but from the opposite perspective... you are excluding the 'circumcised' and separating them from the Church. Paul would be horrified....[/quote]
I have implied no one is excluded from the church.

Now ifyou want to show that Paul says the circumcision is part of the Body go right ahead.

Meanwhile I'll read Romans 4:16, which shows us that those of the law and those of faith are two different groups, both the seed of Abraham and therefore heirs of the promise.

baloney.... the New and Everlasting covenant is here, the Old has passed away... There me a carnal effort by certain people to TRY and re-establish the old covenant, but it will fail miserably....
Who said anything about the Old Covenant?

Jesus established the New Covenant for Israel and it was put on hold because the fig tree did not bear the desired fruit within the time it was given. So Israel was blinded until the fullness of the Gentiles comes in.

" Therefore it is of faith that it might be according to grace, so that the promise might be sure to all the seed, not only to those who are of the law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all"
-Romans 4:16

You should read the story again. Peter did not treat them as unclean, until a group of 'the circumcised' came to them... then he separated himself.... And this was contrary to the decision of the Council of the Church, to the very doctrine that Peter had outlined at that council. Paul was berating Peter, for not following that doctrine. (i.e for being a hypocrite)
I didn't say Peter was acting as though they were unclean at all times. You assume too much. And maybe I assume too much in regard to your intellect and intelligence. I thought you would understand that it was inmplied I was speaking of Peter's actions when the certain men from James showed up.

The only overlap, was the continued sacrifices in the Temple AFTER the New Covenant was established, before it was destroyed....
Who continued to make said sacrifices?

And can you verify this was the only overlap?

There is only one New and Everlasting Covenant, made woith the faithful remnant of Israel, and extended to all men, everywhere.....
The covenant is with Israel; not all are Israel.

Paul may have been the first one to use the analogy of the Body to teach the Unity of the Church, but he certainly wasn't the first to talk about that unity.. In fact Jesus prayed for that unity!
Paul was the only one to ever refer to believers as the Body of Christ. And he was the apostle to the Gentiles. No other apostle was to the Gentiles, nor did any of them refer to believers as the Body of Christ; either before or after Paul did.

Consider to where Paul says we find that unity: 1Cor 10:16-17

The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?

For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

Paul is referring directly to the celebration of the New Covenant, which, of course began at the Last Supper.... Everyone, who, by Faith, partakes of the Eucharist IS a member of the body.. gentile or Jew....
That is an assumption based on no evidence.

Paul wrote that in the Body of Christ there is no Jew or Gentile, as recognized differently from each other. It is those outside of the Body who make that distinction. And the circumcised, e.g. those of the law, are not of the Body, becuse the Body is those of faith.

I don't disagree. But that doesn't mean it can't be misinterpreted. The plethora of doctrinal disputes and heresies down through the centuries which clarified the Church's understanding are there for any to see.. Abandoning the decisions of the Council's (like the first discussed above) opens one up to a reintroduction of heresies long since repudiated.
I haven't abandoned anything. But Paul did not follow their advice completely as they asked him to preach the Gentiles should stay away from things sacrificed to idols and Paul simply told his listeners to only refrain if it could make someone else stumble.

Or he was given the vision, to shake him out of his own past and realize what the plan was all along...
So it was too difficult for Jesus to tell his disciples the plan? Why was the vision necessary? And if that was always the plan why call Paul to preach the new message before revealing it to Peter?

he DID tell them: Go therefore and make disciples of all nations.... They just needed a little extra push from the Spirit. ;)

Peace!
PJ
And did they do that? No, they did not. As seen in Galatians 2:9.

We also know that when Jesus told them to do that He also told them to baptize. But Paul, who was also an apostle, was not sent to baptize. Why do you think that is?