What about Windows 10?

journey

I hate Windows 10. A virus infected my new laptop and the mouse was uncontrollable. I couldn't get it to stop long enough to do anything. I will take it to a shop have them remove Win10 and make Ubuntu the OS.

For work I had to buy another laptop right away and where I am they don't sell Macs. I got another Win10 laptop, which is the only option. It had a hardware problem and went back for replacement. Fingers crossed the 3rd isn't acting up after 2 days.

Windows 10 makes me sad.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. In comparison, I feel fortunate. My backups weren't great or very recent, but I didn't lose very much.

I used Ubuntu for a couple of years some time ago. I didn't like it as much as Windows, but it was stable and got the job done. Linux has come a long way since I used Ubuntu, so I hope that you get good service from it and enjoy it.

Jerome84

I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro, two days ago, on one of my computers. It went smooth. Haven't had time to test out it so much yet.

So if it crashes later on, I know that others have had the same problem. Good to know.

I liked the look of it.

exminister

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. In comparison, I feel fortunate. My backups weren't great or very recent, but I didn't lose very much.

I used Ubuntu for a couple of years some time ago. I didn't like it as much as Windows, but it was stable and got the job done. Linux has come a long way since I used Ubuntu, so I hope that you get good service from it and enjoy it.

I code in Linux every day, so I understand it. I have made attempts to code in DOS/Windows and it has an element of chaos. Windows does things I find hard to track and debug. Right now I am just trying to open a webpage and it's just spinning. What was wrong with Internet Explorer that had to be replaced with Micro Edge? Lipstick on a pig?

Windows :whip:

GuySmiley

I code in Linux every day, so I understand it. I have made attempts to code in DOS/Windows and it has an element of chaos. Windows does things I find hard to track and debug. Right now I am just trying to open a webpage and it's just spinning.
I think other people have successfully coded for Windows before.

What was wrong with Internet Explorer that had to be replaced with Micro Edge? Lipstick on a pig?
You may be the only person on earth questioning leaving IE behind.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Is windows 10 ok for just forums like this and playing older games ? I think I'm on windows vista still. I'm getting a laptop next year, is windows 10 the only option ?

rougueone

Did you take the free upgrade to Windows 10? If so, how do you like it, and are you having any problems?

My wife and I upgraded a Windows 8.1 laptop and a Windows 7 desktop to Windows 10. Things were pretty good for almost a month, and we were beginning to like it. However, both computers were crashed completely with Windows updates within 3 days of each other. We were lucky and able to restore the previous operating systems.

Lot's of problems I am hearing from friends. I use Windows 7 and will until I die.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Lot's of problems I am hearing from friends. I use Windows 7 and will until I die.

What sort of problems?

I've been using it for months without a single issue - not one.

I know perhaps a dozen people who have been using it for almost as long and again, no issues at all.

What sort of issues are these folks having? Have you asked them?

journey

What sort of problems?

I've been using it for months without a single issue - not one.

I know perhaps a dozen people who have been using it for almost as long and again, no issues at all.

What sort of issues are these folks having? Have you asked them?

Read the posts in this thread for numerous examples.

journey

It's always good to make a backup to CD or DVD of at least:

Family photos and videos,
Your music,
Email addresses,
Bookmarks and/or favorites for your browser,
Passwords to sites that you visit,
Programs you have bought and the registration information for them,
Documents that you can't replace,
And the list goes on.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Read the posts in this thread for numerous examples.

Perhaps I've had so few issues (i.e. none at all) because I did a clean install of Windows 10 on a brand new computer rather than upgrading from another version of Windows.

My guess would be that the older the system and the older the version of Windows you're upgrading from, the more likely it is that issues related to hardware and/or driver files will pop up.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
To get the major November Windows 10 update if you already have Windows 10 installed, download this: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

This is a major update to Windows 10, not just some security tweaks.

Or just wait until it is pushed to your machine via the usual Windows Update feature.

Update on a Lenovo Yoga 2, Lenovo w520, and and older Dell Inspiron 14R N4110 laptop went without a hitch a few days ago. The new update about 30 minutes per machine after the downloaded files are present.

One nit: the update will change your default app for reading pdf files to Windows Edge browser. Easily can be changed back to your usual pdf viewer (Adobe, Foxit, etc.).

Afterwards, if you are cramped for space, delete
C:\$WINDOWS.~BT (about 1.5 Gb)

But you will not be able to downgrade back to a previous installation if you delete this folder.

AMR

musterion

I held off for a while because of the horror stories I've been hearing elsewhere. But when my laptop started to die, which it still is, I figured what the hey. It's been over a month now and so far, 10 is working fine and is surprisingly similar to Windows 7. I think some of the minimalist UI choices are harsh and distasteful, but I guess that keeps the memory load down or something.

exminister

I think other people have successfully coded for Windows before.

You may be the only person on earth questioning leaving IE behind.

Yes, they certainly code in it as I have but that doesn't mean it ain't messy to work with and debug.

So do you love IE's replacement which apparently is Microsoft Edge?
I didn't question leaving behind IE as much as I was suggesting that Edge was putting lipstick on a pig (i.e. IE). Edge certainly walks and talks like that duck. I see you can even link from Edge to IE. Expect much is shared under the covers.

I work in computers as developer/designer and perhaps load on software that wouldn't be typical for most. Maybe that could make me more subject to problems. I am certainly staying clear of loading up this new Win10 laptop with what I did to the failed new laptop I bought only 4 months ago (which is Ubuntu bound. Might even tackle that myself in case this new, new win10 goes belly up). It's a lollipop.

Windows :whip:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
To get the major November Windows 10 update if you already have Windows 10 installed, download this: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

This is a major update to Windows 10, not just some security tweaks.

Or just wait until it is pushed to your machine via the usual Windows Update feature.

Update on a Lenovo Yoga 2, Lenovo w520, and and older Dell Inspiron 14R N4110 laptop went without a hitch a few days ago. The new update about 30 minutes per machine after the downloaded files are present.

One nit: the update will change your default app for reading pdf files to Windows Edge browser. Easily can be changed back to your usual pdf viewer (Adobe, Foxit, etc.).

Afterwards, if you are cramped for space, delete
C:\$WINDOWS.~BT (about 1.5 Gb)

But you will not be able to downgrade back to a previous installation if you delete this folder.

AMR

What would you recommend for a purchase of a new laptop. The best available right now ?