What about Windows 10?

journey

Is anyone using Windows 10 Threshold 2 yet? This is supposed to be a major update of Windows 10 and should be coming out in November from what I've read.

The Berean

Ok, I need some help for the TOL computer gurus. My Windows 10 was having some problems. So I decided to reinstall Windows 10 by refreshing. Unfortunately, it erased a bunch of apps that I still want. Is there a way to recover the apps or are they lost forever?

I did a Google search search for information but the links I found were mostly for recovering preinstalled apps. Some of the apps I want to recovered were not part of the original Windows 10 upgrade (like Norton 360 and Rosetta Stone).

journey

Ok, I need some help for the TOL computer gurus. My Windows 10 was having some problems. So I decided to reinstall Windows 10 by refreshing. Unfortunately, it erased a bunch of apps that I still want. Is there a way to recover the apps or are they lost forever?

I did a Google search search for information but the links I found were mostly for recovering preinstalled apps. Some of the apps I want to recovered were not part of the original Windows 10 upgrade (like Norton 360 and Rosetta Stone).

We did the same thing on my wife's computer with worse results. We lost sound, some essential drivers, and misc. software. This was right before it quit working completely. We followed instructions of Microsoft techs. We had to go back to Windows 8.1.

I've been using computers for a long time, but I wouldn't consider myself to be a guru. My desktop also crashed, and I had to take it back to Windows 7. I'm sorry this probably doesn't help.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't know anything about it, but what I've gathered here.
I just ordered a new Dell tower with windows 10. I needed a new one and I figured I might as well get the latest thing that will hopefully carry me over several years....and maybe as long as I'll ever need one.
I hope it works good and I can adjust to it relatively easy.

We'll see.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I don't know anything about it, but what I've gathered here.
I just ordered a new Dell tower with windows 10. I needed a new one and I figured I might as well get the latest thing that will hopefully carry me over several years....and maybe as long as I'll ever need one.
I hope it works good and I can adjust to it relatively easy.

We'll see.

I'll check with you in a year when I'm ready to upgrade and go new. :rapture:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I'll check with you in a year when I'm ready to upgrade and go new. :rapture:

I have Windows 7 on this laptop.
I intend to keep it as long as it lasts.
Meanwhile, I hope I can ease into Windows 10 on my desktop at the shop. I'm replacing a Windows XP there.

Oh....I'm no wiz with this stuff, so don't count on me, though I'll be glad to help however I can.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

You might try using the "System Restore" feature that you can search for within the Start menu. Try entering this in the Run command field:
C:\Windows\System32\rstrui.exe

Select a restore point date prior to the date you did the refresh and see if that is possible. I have doubts as a refresh update usually wipes out quite a bit of a prior installation. You might look at your hard drive using the File Explorer and see if the refresh saved old files for you to recover.

These sort of issues is why I always create images of my entire hard drive on a regular basis. An "image" is a snapshot of the exact state of your computer's hard drive at the time it is created.

For Windows 10 enter the following in the "Run" command line:
C:\Windows\System32\sdclt.exe
and select the option to create a system image. You will need a storage location on a USB drive or external hard drive that has about the same storage space as your computer. I use a portable 1TB USB hard drive for storing images and files. Get USB 3.0 if your computer supports it as the image creation process takes quite a bit of time. They are reasonably inexpensive and worth the investment. You can then restore past saved images should things go wrong in the future.

You should also have a backup utility to copy files on your computer to external storage media. This is the one (free!) I use.

In addition to all your personal files, use the utility to backup Windows related files:

\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData
C:\Program Files
C:\Program Files (x86)
C:\ProgramData

Note: the last three items assume your hard drive is named "C:". Just substitute the correct path accordingly if different for your computer set up.

You can also use cloud based services such as Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox, etc. to accomplish the same as relates to backing up files (not images). If you have some spare change, consider using CrashPlan. I use it and have it set to backup my files to a 1TB networked storage drive on my home network as well as the company's cloud based servers. It keeps versions of files I am working on, too, so I can recover my work in the event of a system crash.

AMR

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Solid advice, AMR. :think: Has anyone suggested turning the computer off and turning it back on again? :plain:

the-it-crowd.jpg

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I do not like APPs, not at all, so Windows 7 is for me. Actually, I prefer Windows XP.

I have used APPs on my Blu-ray player

rexlunae

You can try what AMR suggested, but I'm reasonably certain the Windows System Restore isn't going to help you after you're reinstalled Windows from scratch. And if you reformatted the hard drive, you're going to have to reinstall any programs you need.

rexlunae

I do not like APPs, not at all, so Windows 7 is for me. Actually, I prefer Windows XP.

I have used APPs on my Blu-ray player

In this case, I think what he's referring to are not "apps" in the meaning invented for smartphones, but the traditional Windows applications of olde. So, no different from what you might install in Windows 7 and prior.

journey

I go to:

http://win.softpedia.com/

at least every other day to read news about Windows 10. The articles are usually very good, and it's free. You can also look in their Windows 10 archive for many more articles about problems, solutions, the good, and the bad. Windows 10 updates are responsible for all kinds of problems for varying numbers of people. They report the KB#### for the updates that cause problems. I hope this helps a few of you.

OCTOBER23

I think that XP was the best and though I have Win 7 ,

I still have XP on my Laptop and I am not going to upgrade

until the 2nd coming.:rapture:

Foxfire

OK, so lately I'm noticing an alarmingly increasing number of site load failures and plug-in failure issues.

Now I get pop ups from a "Microsoft Gold Partner" software site telling me that they can fix my plug-in issues, that I shouldn't even be experiencing, for only $29.95.

Too sweet! :mad:

journey

OK, so lately I'm noticing an alarmingly increasing number of site load failures and plug-in failure issues.

Now I get pop ups from a "Microsoft Gold Partner" software site telling me that they can fix my plug-in issues, that I shouldn't even be experiencing, for only $29.95.

Too sweet! :mad:

I haven't read anything about these problems, but I know that I would be careful. I assume that you're having these problems with Microsoft Edge. Try Firefox and see what happens.