ECT What is your definition of a Christian? What is scriptures definition?

oatmeal

You cannot be a Christian if you don't have the Spirit of Christ.

Paul said, "Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."

Yes indeed, and as I am sure that you recognize, you cannot lose the spirit of Christ for it is that seed spoken of in I Peter 1:23

Galatians 3:16,29

1 John 3:9

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

The flesh and blood can sin, but the seed cannot sin for it is incorruptible

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Are you joking? or serious? I cannot tell.

Scripture references?

Or opinion?

I said
HOLIDAYS
Col 2:15-18
15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.
16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,
17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.
18 Let no one cheat you of your reward, taking delight in false humility and worship of angels, intruding into those things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
Rom 14:5-8
5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.
6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.
7 For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself.
8 For if we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we are the Lord's.
Rom 14:4
4 Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.
Matt 7:1-5
1 "Judge not, that you be not judged.
2 "For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.
3 "And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye?
4 "Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye?
5 "Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother's eye.
(NKJ)

xxx You dont have to take a public stand on holidays, holidays, festivals, Sabbath, drinking wine, what you eat. If you are fully convinced in your own mind God accepts that. Do it or dont do it. As long as you are fully convinced in your own mind. These are useless arguments.

oatmeal

are all christians saved?

are only christians saved?

To be is a Christian is to have received the gift of salvation/eternal life/the measure of faith/holy spirit/righteousness by God's grace.

All Christians are saved. They have Christ in them, it is seed, incorruptible seed. The body and soul may sin, but the seed within cannot sin, it is incorruptible.

But who is a Christian? I John 3:7,9,19-24

Chrysostom, you are a Christian, you are saved, you have received the gift of eternal life, after all you life shows that you have met the requirements of Romans 10:9-10, thus you are saved.

Now what? We do the second half of I Timothy 2:4, we come to the knowledge of the truth so that we learn to walk in fellowship, in harmony, in Christ. I John 1:3

We learn and begin to walk the truths of Paul's epistles, and others that tell of of this age of grace and how to walk/live accordingly.

Our heart's desire is to please God who gave us eternal life.

We learn to learn how to do it.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Yes indeed, and as I am sure that you recognize, you cannot lose the spirit of Christ...

I disagree. A person won't lose an opportunity for salvation but he can forfeit the kingdom of God.

My favorite verse against once saved always saved is this, "Then Joseph her husband, being a just man and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily." (Matthew 1:19)

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Indeed we need to make sure we measure up to living the standard of truth..

But our mistakes or shortcomings do not undo the gift of salvation.

The gift of salvation is permanent for it is the gift of eternal life.

Romans 6:23

I said
I'm sorry but salvation was not a gift. Saved was a gift. But not salvation. That has to be worked for.
We are saved from the condemnation we deserve right now, so we can work out our salvation.
Saved is temporary. Salvation is eternal.
Phil 2:12-14
12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling;
13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
14 Do all things without complaining and disputing,
(NKJ)

IMJerusha

I disagree. A person won't lose an opportunity for salvation but he can forfeit the kingdom of God.

My favorite verse against once saved always saved is this, "Then Joseph her husband, being a just man and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily." (Matthew 1:19)

I prefer this one from Revelation: "He who overcomes will thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels." Rev. 3:5

oatmeal

So, eternal life does not actually mean eternal life?

Romans 6:23

oatmeal

Yes. Indeed.

Yes. I cited them in a source in Post #13 above.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

There was but one scripture reference in your Post # 13

Except for scripture links as set up by this website, I am not interested in reading horrendously long and boring RCC opinions about scripture.

If you are too lazy to provide them yourself, that is your problem.

II Timothy 2:15 a workman implies work

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
So, eternal life does not actually mean eternal life?

Our eternal life is held in trust for us by Jesus.

And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life and this life is in his Son. (1 John 5:11)​

At the first resurrection we will be given immortality, inherent life within ourselves.

oatmeal

The source cited links to the exact list of biblical texts that you requested. Back to Post #13.

Sadly, your posting resembles the RCC's relationship to God, nothing direct, but simply a link to opinions about God and His word, yet never reaching God.

I John 1:3

Cruciform

Sadly, your posting resembles the RCC's relationship to God, nothing direct, but simply a link to opinions about God and His word, yet never reaching God.
Once again, the assumptions and opinions that you have derived from your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect are noted.

You've already been answered (Post #13).

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Not my definition, but that of Christ's one historic Catholic Church:
CHRISTIAN: The name refers to all those who have been anointed through the gift of the Holy Spirit in Baptism; hence, the followers of Christ, the members of the Christian Church. According to Acts 11:26, "it was in Antioch that the disciples were first called Christians" (Catechism of the Catholic Church ~ Glossary, p. 871).

Addressed here.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Once again, the assumptions and opinions that you have derived from your chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect are noted.

You've already been answered (Post #13).

I said
I don't see the answer in there. Would you mind pointing it out for me.