What Kind of Body Did Jesus have Post Resurrection?

Lilstu

With what kind of body was Jesus resurrected?
This is an important question. Was Jesus resurrected with a fleshly body or with a spiritual body?

The Apostle Paul wrote the following about the resurrection ...1Corinthians 15:42-45 KJV
42So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

43It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:

44It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

45And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

You can see that Paul is saying that the resurrection body is a spiritual body.

The Apostle Paul continues with this startling statement....1Corinthians 15:50
50Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable

Flesh and blood cannot inherit the Kingdom....Jesus had to be spirit if he ascended into Heaven.

The Apostle Peter agrees with Paul......1Peter 3:18
18For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;

""Made alive in the spirit.""

Now it would seem that the Apostles Peter and Paul agree that Jesus was resurrected with a spiritual body.
But let's examine what other Bible writers say.......
Luke says.....Luke 24:39
39"See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have."

John agrees with Luke that the risen Jesus is flesh..John 20:27
27Then He said to Thomas, "Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing."

But let's see what Jesus said himself about what type of body he would be resurrected with......John 2:19-22
19Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up."
20The Jews then said, "It took forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?"
21But He was speaking of the temple of His body.
22So when He was raised from the dead, His disciples remembered that He said this; and they believed the Scripture and the word which Jesus had spoken.

Remember that John's Gospel claims that Jesus is the word that became flesh [John 1:14] Didn't Jesus claim he would raise up his fleshly body in the preceding verses?

So was Jesus raised with a fleshly body or a spiritual body?

Spirit beings are interdimensional. They can be visble or invisible.

The Lord Jesus did resurrect His flesh body, no doubt, the body absent from the tomb, but it's not that simple, your inter-dimensional observation well said, in modern terms. The Lord Jesus "appeared" post-resurrection, was as if just there all the sudden, Matthew 27:53 even using that word. Though He showed Himself as flesh, pointed out it was He in those terms, Luke 24:39, hence the body truly risen, this was not your Daddy's flesh! The Lord Jesus appeared in a room with a closed door, did not enter through the door, John 20:19. Of course, He ascended to heaven, defying gravity. His glorified body could be suddenly visible, impervious to physical obstacles like doors, and ascended from the earth. So, yes, He was flesh, but not limited to flesh, and we can glean from this some of the nature of the glorified, immortal body, that can be flesh, but also not flesh, unfettered as mortal flesh is. The Lord Jesus did resurrect, as if, a different life form by those supernatural attributes. When you think about it, it's like science fiction, only for real! Of course, this is nothing new, in scripture terms, angels appearing like, ostensibly, men, clear back in the Old Testament. Interesting to note how spirits can travel vast expanses in a flash, relative to scientific theory, the third heaven beyond that vast expanse we know as space. So much for warp drive being impressive.

I’ve often mused how the things of God, as people think of them in ancient terms, that we’re so sophisticated in technological times, this thinking being such an illusion, God doing a “rope of dope” on people who discount the Bible as some ancient, primitive account, when, in fact, the resurrected Lord Jesus is a prime example of, as if, a space man even Isaac Asimov would have no clue as to what or how. Sort of even makes monkey men of anthropologists' thinking, doesn't it? Also consider the absolute control God has over matter, water to wine, restoring limbs and sight, on and on. The enormous sophistication and power of God indeed makes monkeys of men, generally, Psalms 8:4. With all our gadgets, we're, nonetheless, so very primitive and unsophisticated. And to have so little humility.

There are schools of thought as to how much the body of the Lord Jesus was limited, prior to His death, though I've not liked those conversations for their being very speculative, fruitless to prove, sometimes reaching into things heretical as to the humanity of the Lord Jesus.

WeberHome

-
Had Jesus' crucified flesh and blood body not been restored to life, then John 2:19-12 would be easily proven false.

A popular rebuttal to John's passage is this one of Paul's:

1Cor 15:45-46 . . And so it is written: the first man Adam was made a living soul. The last Adam was made a life-giving spirit.

The trick to correctly understanding that passage is its timing; viz: it's not talking about the two Adams' endings, rather, their respective beginnings; in other words: Adam was born a living soul and that's it; while Jesus was born not only a living soul; but also a living spirit.

That interpretation is of course unacceptable to the Watchtower Society because it counters the Society's belief that it is impossible for someone to exist as a human being and a spirit being simultaneously. Thus they insist that Jesus had to be entirely organic; but according to John 1:1-4 he was also spirit; in point of fact: life-giving spirit.

The Society rebuttals that interpretation by saying that the Word of John 1:1-4 relinquished its spirit existence in order to become a human existence. But the problem with that angle is that the Word is described in 1John 1:1-2 as an eternal life. Well; it goes without saying that eternal life is a quality of life that cannot die. In other words: it is impossible for the Word to relinquish his spirit existence.

/

Lilstu

-
Had Jesus' crucified flesh and blood body not been restored to life, then John 2:19-12 would be easily proven false.

A popular rebuttal to John's passage is this one of Paul's:

1Cor 15:45-46 . . And so it is written: the first man Adam was made a living soul. The last Adam was made a life-giving spirit.

The trick to correctly understanding that passage is its timing; viz: it's not talking about the two Adams' endings, rather, their respective beginnings; in other words: Adam was born a living soul and that's it; while Jesus was born not only a living soul; but also a living spirit.

That interpretation is of course unacceptable to the Watchtower Society because it counters the Society's belief that it is impossible for someone to exist as a human being and a spirit being simultaneously. Thus they insist that Jesus had to be entirely organic; but according to John 1:1-4 he was also spirit; in point of fact: life-giving spirit.

The Society rebuttals that interpretation by saying that the Word of John 1:1-4 relinquished its spirit existence in order to become a human existence. But the problem with that angle is that the Word is described in 1John 1:1-2 as an eternal life. Well; it goes without saying that eternal life is a quality of life that cannot die. In other words: it is impossible for the Word to relinquish his spirit existence.

/

Like being a triangle and a circle at the same time.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
The Lord Jesus did resurrect His flesh body, no doubt, the body absent from the tomb, but it's not that simple, your inter-dimensional observation well said, in modern terms.

The only part Jesus had in resurrecting his body was obeying His Father's commandment.

For that, his Father raised him from the dead.

There are schools of thought as to how much the body of the Lord Jesus was limited, prior to His death, though I've not liked those conversations for their being very speculative, fruitless to prove, sometimes reaching into things heretical as to the humanity of the Lord Jesus.

Jesus was human period.

He always believed God listened to him.

He always listened to God.

He always obeyed God.

God was with him.

God did the miracles, not Jesus.

Jesus' only work was to do his Father's will.

He did not need to learn to love us or his Father.

It was that love that enabled him to learn obedience unto death.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Luke 24:39 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

39 See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.”

Obviously Flesh and blood. He said so.

WeberHome

The only part Jesus had in resurrecting his body was obeying His Father's commandment.

According to John 2:19-12, Christ was directly involved in restoring his crucified body to life; and of course that was no big deal for him seeing as how according to John 1:1-4 and 1Cor 15:45, Christ has the power to make things come alive; even things that prior to that didn't even exist.

/

WeberHome

flesh and bone - no blood

Well then; according to your reasoning, Eve was made without blood.

Gen 2:22-23 . . Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. The man said: This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh.

If true that Eve was made without blood;, then according to the Bible; the flesh with which she was made, was dead flesh.

Lev 17:11 . . The life of the flesh is in the blood

/

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
According to John 2:19-12, Christ was directly involved in restoring his crucified body to life; and of course that was no big deal for him seeing as how according to John 1:1-4 and 1Cor 15:45, Christ has the power to make things come alive; even things that prior to that didn't even exist.

/

Sho nuff.

Lilstu

For that, his Father raised him from the dead.

Jesus was human period.

He always believed God listened to him.

He always listened to God.

He always obeyed God.

God was with him.

God did the miracles, not Jesus.

Jesus' only work was to do his Father's will.

He did not need to learn to love us or his Father.

It was that love that enabled him to learn obedience unto death.

John 17:6-8 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
6 “I have manifested Your name to the men whom You gave Me out of the world; they were Yours and You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word. 7 Now they have come to know that everything You have given Me is from You; 8 for the words which You gave Me I have given to them; and they received them and truly understood that I came forth from You, and they believed that You sent Me.

So as we can see, Jesus was GIVEN everything he had! This all included miracles, doctrine etc. Basically Jesus did not do anything of his own, he never performed a miracle by his own power, he was given the miracles. He never taught anything of his own, rather he was taught by God and spoke what God told him to speak.

John 7:16New American Standard Bible (NASB)
So Jesus answered them and said, “My teaching is not Mine, but His who sent Me.

John 8:26New American Standard Bible (NASB)
I have many things to speak and to judge concerning you, but He who sent Me is true; and the things which I heard from Him, these I speak to the world.”

John 14:24New American Standard Bible (NASB)
He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father’s who sent Me.

So everything Jesus had was from God, from the Gospel to his miracles. God needs no one to give him power, God needs no one to tell him what to do

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Well then; according to your reasoning, Eve was made without blood.

Gen 2:22-23 . . Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. The man said: This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh.

If true that Eve was made without blood;, then according to the Bible; the flesh with which she was made, was dead flesh.

Lev 17:11 . . The life of the flesh is in the blood

/
False argument

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
This is an important question. Was Jesus resurrected with a fleshly body or with a spiritual body?

. . .So was Jesus raised with a fleshly body or a spiritual body?
To my mind, 1st Corinthians 15:44 (KJV), which you quote, literally answers your question.

john w

Hall of Fame

False dichotomy. The opposite of spiritual is "natural," not fleshly/flesh.

The Lord Jesus Christ is(present tense) flesh and bones now, in a spiritual body, confirmed by Paul:

Ephesians 5:30 KJV For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

Adam, "pre-fall"-no blood-flesh and bones:

Genesis 2:23 KJV And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

No blood:

Luke 24:39 KJV Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

And hence..."connect the dots:"

1 Corinthians 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

Only flesh and bones-not flesh and blood.

Did Adam have a spiritual body, "pre-fall? Rhetorical q-yes-flesh and bones.

Post fall? Flesh and blood....The Spirit of God within him left, replaced by blood.....