What Kind of Body Did Jesus have Post Resurrection?

WeberHome

-
1Cor 15:44 . . It is sown a natural body, it is raised up a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

Watch as I misquote that passage because the difference, though subtle. Is significant.

"It is sown a natural body, it is raised up a spirit body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spirit body."

No; it doesn't say spirit body but nevertheless that's what some people have decided it ought to say.

The Greek word translated "spiritual" is ambiguous. It doesn't necessarily refer to the characteristics of a body with the consistency of thin air. Below is a list of spiritual things that bear absolutely no resemblance whatsoever to the bodily chemistry of an angel or a demon.

Spiritual gifts (Rom 1:11)
Spiritual law (Rom 7:14)
Spiritual things (Rom 15:27)
Spiritual people (1Cor 2:15)
Spiritual nourishment (1Cor 10:3)
Spiritual water (1Cor 10:4)
Spiritual rock (1Cor 10:4)
Spiritual counselors (Gal 6:1)
Spiritual blessings (Eph 1:3)
Spiritual music (Eph 5:19)
Spiritual understanding (Col 1:9)
Spiritual housing (1Pet 2:5)
Spiritual sacrifices (1Pet 2:5)

I'm inclined to believe that the spiritual body spoken of at 1Cor 15:44 is in no way composed of a gaseous substance. Of what material it is composed I don't know; but I do know at least four things about it.

1• The spiritual body is patterned after Christ's glorified body.

Phil 3:20-21 . .Our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.

2• The spiritual body is capable of dining upon ordinary foods.

Luke 22:15-16 . . I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you: I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God.

3• The spiritual body is capable of imbibing ordinary beverages.

Matt 26:29 . . I tell you: I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom.

4• The spiritual body is capable of being seen by the naked eye.

Acts 1:11 . . Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in just the same way as you have watched him go into heaven.

Rev 1:7 . . Behold, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him7

/

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
[
4• The spiritual body is capable of being seen by the naked eye.

Is that why it's referred to as invisible?

There is a natural body and there is a supernatural body.

The natural body is an image and likeness of the supernatural body.

WeberHome

-
The standard Christian understanding of Christ's resurrection is common throughout the gospels; viz: Jesus Christ's crucified body was restored to life as per John 2:19-22.

But according to the Watchtower Society's way of seeing things; Christ's crucified body didn't return to life at all; and here's why.

In Watchtower Society theology, an angel named Michael volunteered to come to the earth to die for humanity's sins. But in order to do so; he had to relinquish his angel form in order to take on a human form seeing as how in Society theology it is impossible for someone to exist as a spirit being and a human being simultaneously. But though Michael's angel form was terminated so that he could then take on a human form, his so-called "life force" was preserved intact.

"the transferal of the life of his firstborn Son from the spirit realm to earth. Only in this way could the child eventually born have retained identity as the same person who had resided in heaven as the Word." (Aid to Bible Understanding, 1971, p.920)

"He had to become a perfect man and yet not lose his continuity of life. His life-force was not to be extinguished but would be transferred to the ovum of the virgin girl, Mary." (Watchtower magazine, 2-15-82, p.7)

But Michael's existence as a human being was only temporary. When his human form passed away on the cross, the Society claims that God transferred Michael's life force back into his angel form thus restoring him to his former spirit existence; leaving the corpse of his human form in a permanent state of decease.

FYI: The Society maintains that Michael's crucified human form has to stay dead so he can be an angel again. But that's not the only reason the Society gives for keeping Michael's human remains perpetually deceased.

An additional explanation is given on page 237 of the April 15, 1963 issue of the Watchtower magazine; where it's stated:

"If Jesus were to take his body of flesh, blood, and bones to heaven and enjoy them there, what would this mean? It would mean that there would be no resurrection of the dead for anybody. Why not? Because Jesus would be taking his sacrifice off God's altar."

There is a really, really big flaw in the Society's theology; and that's Michael's human remains. In order to confirm that his human form stayed dead, the Society is going to have produce it. A piece of evidence of that significance can't be allowed to just slip through a crack unaccounted for as if it makes no difference.

/

WeberHome

-
Is that why it's referred to as invisible?

"spiritual" items aren't necessarily invisible; for example:

/

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Only flesh and bones-not flesh and blood.

Did Adam have a spiritual body, "pre-fall? Rhetorical q-yes-flesh and bones.

Post fall? Flesh and blood....The Spirit of God within him left, replaced by blood.....

Quite the fantasy you have going on there.

marhig

-

"spiritual" items aren't necessarily invisible; for example:

/

And this is true of all those who walk in the spirit and are risen with Christ.

They are spiritual people that walk after the spirit and not the flesh

They are nourished and do nourish with the spirit

They drink spiritual water, which is the word of God

Their spiritual rock is Christ

Those strong in the spirit are spiritual counsellors

And they glorify God and Christ by living by the spirit and sharing the word of God, their spiritual food is the bread of life and they are raised up witnesses, raised up by God with Christ and they live not after the flesh but after the spirit.

Those who truly belong to God, are the spiritual body of Christ who walk in and live by the spirit and love God with all their heart, soul, mind and strength, and they love their neighbour as themselves and being put to death by the spirit, they worship God in spirit and in truth not walking after the flesh and not living by the ordinances of this world and not obeying the will of the flesh, but obeying and living by the will of God.

WeberHome

-
Is Jesus Christ invisible?

Well; I suppose the answer to that question depends upon one's interpretation of certain key words and phrases, which for convenience sake, I'll emphasize with underscoring and italics in the following passages.

John 20:18 . . Mary Magdalene went to the disciples with the news: I have seen the Lord! And she told them that he had said these things to her.

John 20:24-25 . . Now Thomas (called Didymus), one of the twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him: We have seen the Lord!

Acts 1:3 . . After his suffering, he showed himself to these men and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days

Acts 1:9 . . After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.

Acts 1:11 . . Men of Galilee, they said, why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.

1Cor 15:3-8 . . Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, he was buried, he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and he appeared to Peter, and then to the twelve. After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, and last of all he appeared to me also

Others not only saw Christ after his resurrection, but also handled him.

Matt 28:9 . . And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying: All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.

John 20:27 . . Then he said to Thomas: Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side.

And then there's the incident that took place on the sea shore recorded in the 21st chapter of John where Jesus' men saw him plain as day.

I take it from those passages that Christ was visible for a minimum of at least forty days before he was taken up to heaven.

But your question is in the grammatical present tense, indicating, or at least suggesting, that you'd like to know whether Christ is visible now.

Well; since he was visible for forty days prior to his ascension, and since he's going to be visible in the future (Luke 22:15-16, Matt 26:29, Acts 1:11, and Rev 1:7) then I think it's safe to assume that he's visible now too.

/

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Well; since he was visible for forty days prior to his ascension, and since he's going to be visible in the future (Luke 22:15-16, Matt 26:29, Acts 1:11, and Rev 1:7) then I think it's safe to assume that he's visible now too.

Another option would be to go by scripture.

1 Timothy 1:17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever.​

Now if we can figure out who the King is, any ideas?

WeberHome

-
Is it really all that important whether Christ's crucified body returned to life? Well; it sure is!!

According to the Bible; were Christ's crucified body still dead, then God would have no basis for letting people off.

Rom 4:25 . . He was delivered up for the sake of our trespasses and was raised up for the sake of declaring us righteous.

1Cor 15:17 . .Further, if Christ has not been raised up, your faith is useless; you are yet in your sins.

So then; it's not just Christ's crucifixion that rescues people from the wrath of God, but also his body's recovery.

When people depart this life refusing to believe that Christ's crucified body returned to life, they go out unrighteous and unforgiven. I don't think I have to tell you what that means because according to 1Cor 15:1-11 his crucified body's recovery is one of the crucial elements of the gospel that people need to accept if they're to have any hope at all of escaping the second death depicted at Rev 20:11-15.

Jesus told Thomas that he believed Jesus' crucified body was returned to life because he saw it for himself. Jesus then said that people who believe his crucified body returned to life without seeing it for themselves are blessed. Well; that tells me that people who refuse to believe his crucified body returned to life are not blessed. In point of fact, I think it's fair to say that the hand of God is against them.

/

Last edited:

WeberHome

-
1 Timothy 1:17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever.

Now if we can figure out who the King is, any ideas?

(chuckle) Forgive me for finding humor in your question; but the King whom you seek is right there before your eyes. It's God who alone is wise.

God is spirit (John 4:24). The unaided human eye cannot see spirit.

/

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Forgive me for finding humor in your question; but the King whom you seek is right there before your eyes. It's God who alone is wise.

God is spirit (John 4:24). The unaided human eye cannot see spirit.

True, so is Christ Spirit?

In Romans 8:9 Paul said, "Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His."

In Titus 2:13-14 Paul told Titus, "Looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us..."

Now if we could just figure out who gave himself for us. We know the Father didn't die, so who could it be?

WeberHome

-
Now if we could just figure out who gave himself for us. We know the Father didn't die, so who could it be?

Jamie, if it's your intention to complicate Christ's resurrection by factoring in the so-called Trinity, then I can easily predict that this discussion will turn into a perpetual bull session that drags on, and on, and on without ever getting to the bottom of anything.

As for me; I'm satisfied that the OP has been adequately answered; and so I'm off to greener pastures because staying on this thread any longer would not only be maddening, but also quite futile.

/

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
With what kind of body was Jesus resurrected?
This is an important question. Was Jesus resurrected with a fleshly body or with a spiritual body?

He was born of the Spirit. Nobody could tell where he came from or where he went (like the wind) when he appeared from nowhere behind locked doors, and vanished from their sight.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
He was born of the Spirit. Nobody could tell where he came from or where he went (like the wind) when he appeared from nowhere behind locked doors, and vanished from their sight.

Oh wait! That's what Jesus said.

In John 3:8 Jesus said, "The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit."

Who's going to believe that?