Where are your tithes going?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
You can disagree that a righteous God exists, that is your prerogative.

And if you go through life without making claims of immorality you will remain consistent.

Gee, thanks, Knight. Glad you gave me permission to think for myself.:rolleyes:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Zakath said:
Nope. My thread, my topic.

The topic, is "the Church" spending its resources to pay for the crimes of its leadership, not how some atheist justifies his moral beliefs.

:rolleyes:
This may be your thread but its MY website. :rolleyes:

If you cannot see that, you're in the wrong website. ;)

So tell me....

On what basis do can you condemn the immorality of others?

What makes your version of morality more "right" than those that you accuse?

Granite

Hall of Fame
fool said:
Or if he told you to sacrafice your child to him?
Like that Aberaham dude.

Or when an unfortunate father followed through and murdered his own daughter. Charming, that Yahweh.

Zakath, I regret to comment that it appears this thread was KO'd by a mod who evidently woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Sorry. :bang:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Granite said:
Or when an unfortunate father followed through and murdered his own daughter. Charming, that Yahweh.

Zakath, I regret to comment that it appears this thread was KO'd by a mod who evidently woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Sorry. :bang:
LOL!!! :rotfl: Moral relativists in practice are FAR from relative.

Doesn't consistency in your own beliefs have any value to you?

fool

Hall of Fame
Knight: what it boils down to is that Yaweh dose'nt enforce his laws, men who believe in him do.
So it comes from men, not Yaweh.
And I'm sure you're aware that I think men wrote your book, so you get your morality from men just the same as Zak.
At least Zak admits it. Whereas You hide behind a made up deity, and will do whatever he says.
What would you do in Abrahams' shoes?
I would have told Yaweh to get off my porch.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Zakath said:
Nope. Not here. :nono:
Why not? What are you so afraid of? Why not just admit you have no basis to condemn other's immorality?

You should be proud that you have no basis to condemn others immorality! Don't you boast that you are a moral relativist? Isn't that the point? What's the fun of being a moral relativist when you have to reject your own belief just to start a thread like this?

Zakath, admit what you are - come out of the closet!!!

:rotfl:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Knight said:
Not the proper venue.

What are you so afraid of?
Nothing; merely because I do not wish to discuss (yet again) what we've already hashed out numerous times before doesn't mean I'm fearful, merely weary.

Why not just admit you have no basis to condemn other's immorality?
Because that's not the point of this discussion, which you seem to be incapable of grasping.

:doh:

[snipped rest of maunderings...]

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
fool said:
Knight: what it boils down to is that Yaweh dose'nt enforce his laws, men who believe in him do.
So it comes from men, not Yaweh.
And I'm sure you're aware that I think men wrote your book, so you get your morality from men just the same as Zak.
At least Zak admits it. Whereas You hide behind a made up deity, and will do whatever he says.
What would you do in Abrahams' shoes?
I would have told Yaweh to get off my porch.
fool, your missing the point.

I do not claim to be a moral relativist.

It doesn't matter (at this point in the discussion) where my absolute morality comes from. I could claim I get my absolute morality from pink aligators hovering over New York City. Then later we could argue the validity of my claim.

But I did not start this thread, a moral relativist did.

Zakath believes that morality is in the eyes of the beholder yet he is making a claim that others should adhere to his standard of morality.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Zakath said:
Nothing; merely because I do not wish to discuss (yet again) what we've already hashed out numerous times before doesn't mean I'm fearful, merely weary.
I realize you have grown tired of getting you butt whooped but hey you are a slow learner.

If you stopped creating threads that cry out for others to adhere to your standard of morality maybe I would stop spanking you like a 4 year old at K-Mart.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Knight said:
I realize you have grown tired of getting you butt whooped but hey you are a slow learner.
Why not just refer people to the Battle Royale we had on this subject and be done with it?

Don't you think you did a credible job there?

If you stopped creating threads that cry out for others to adhere to your standard of morality maybe I would stop spanking you like a 4 year old at K-Mart.
Having to remind us that it's your board, and your right to hijack any thread you want, appears as little more than bullying posters into arguing your favorite topics... :rolleyes:

I hope you enjoyed the reparte.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Knight seems to be implying only Christians are in a position to criticize the church's behavior.

When Christians do not--as in, say, the recent pedophile papist scandal--where does that leave us? When Christians do not even police themselves?

Or are they simply above criticism?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Granite said:
Knight seems to be implying only Christians are in a position to criticize the church's behavior.

When Christians do not--as in, say, the recent pedophile papist scandal--where does that leave us? When Christians do not even police themselves?

Or are they simply above criticism?

Nope, Granite you missed it. It must be contagious cause fool missed it too.

Knight said:

It doesn't matter (at this point in the discussion) where my absolute morality comes from. I could claim I get my absolute morality from pink aligators hovering over New York City. Then later we could argue the validity of my claim.

Zakath believes that morality is in the eyes of the beholder yet he is making a claim that others should adhere to his standard of morality.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Granite said:
I don't see how Knight's post answers my questions. Could ya clarify?

You really think that Knight's whole point on this thread is that only Christians should be able to criticize the behavior of the church? I don't even know how you came up with that by what he's said.

fool

Hall of Fame
Knight said:
And you didn't answer my question.
If Yaweh tells you to sacrafice your child to him will you do it?
That dosen't mean you aren't one
So your "absolute morality" is relative to what your deity tells you?
dosen't matter who started it, it's on now.
No, I think that Zakath hopes other people will adhere to his standard. Or, any standard that says molesting kids is bad. I think that you hope the same thing. But what it boils down to is that if You or Zakath witness such acts you will put a stop to it. Yaweh or the pink alligators will not be involved. If you are incapeable of stopping a child molester without the percieved approval of your deity then by all means you should hang on to that belief. Until he tells you to sacrafice your kid. Then your back in the relitivest boat. Or at least you should be.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Poly said:
You really think that Knight's whole point on this thread is that only Christians should be able to criticize the behavior of the church? I don't even know how you came up with that by what he's said.

No. I never said that was his whole point. But it seems to be something he was implying.

Lemme ask again just to see if he answers:

Are Christians the only people who can criticize the behavior of the church and other Christians?

What happens when Christians do not police their own behavior?

Is something like the pedophile scandal in the Catholic Church something that no one but other Christians is qualified to talk about?