Where Does It Say In The Bible That You Go Directly To Heaven When You Die?

MarcATL

Moreover, where does the theology that people are "looking down on us" from heaven?

Where does that come from?

I noticed in during the Billy Graham funeral his daughter said that "Daddy was in heaven", but then she turned around and quoted 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 which literally contradicts that theology.

People really are confused about what the Bible states concerning the state of the dead.

Not only is this sad, but also extremely dangerous.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
WHERE DOES IT SAY IN THE BIBLE THAT YOU GO DIRECTLY TO HEAVEN WHEN YOU DIE?

So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord.For we walk by faith, not by sight.We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord. - 2 Corinthians 5:6-8 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2Corinthians5:6-8&version=NKJV

Moreover, where does the theology that people are "looking down on us" from heaven?

Honestly, If you think about it, people in heaven are probably busier interacting with others, and probably aren't paying too much attention to the things that happen on earth.

Bad theology because of not knowing what the Bible says.

I noticed in during the Billy Graham funeral his daughter said that "Daddy was in heaven", but then she turned around and quoted 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 which literally contradicts that theology.

But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep,

ie, dead

lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus.

those who died who had a personal relationship with God

For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep.

talking about when bodies are raised at the rapture

For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.

Again, at the rapture, bodies will be raised

Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words. - 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1Thessalonians4:13-18&version=NKJV

People really are confused about what the Bible states concerning the state of the dead.

Agree, because of what I said above.

Agreed.

MarcATL

So [MENTION=16942]JudgeRightly[/MENTION]

You're separating the body from the breath and making them two (2) separate entities?

Where do you get that the body and the breath are two separate entities?

Explain those dynamics.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

You're separating the body from the breath and making them two (2) separate entities?

Explain those dynamics.
Man is tripartite, ie, made of three parts.

Body, soul, and spirit.

All physical, living creatures have bodies, which allow them to interact with the physical universe.

Man and many animals have souls (animals having differing levels or qualities of souls, and man having a full soul), which allow them to interact with each other.

But only man has a spirit, which allows us to interact with God and the spiritual realm.

body = flesh
soul = nephesh
spirit = breath

All three make a person, though it can be argued that our bodies are simply something that we (being spiritual beings) control.

This article goes into detail on this topic.

https://bible.org/seriespage/2-man-trinity-spirit-soul-body

MarcATL

Man is tripartite, ie, made of three parts.

Body, soul, and spirit.

All physical, living creatures have bodies, which allow them to interact with the physical universe.

Man and many animals have souls (animals having differing levels or qualities of souls, and man having a full soul), which allow them to interact with each other.

But only man has a spirit, which allows us to interact with God and the spiritual realm.

body = flesh
soul = nephesh
spirit = breath

All three make a person, though it can be argued that our bodies are simply something that we (being spiritual beings) control.

This article goes into detail on this topic.

https://bible.org/seriespage/2-man-trinity-spirit-soul-body
Now you're coming up with LEVELS to souls (ie man vs. animal souls?!???)

I'm sorry, but you, the article and its author have it wrong.

The Bible never mentions the souls of animals, so we're not to consider them souls. Although they are precious living creatures.

The Bible tells us in Genesis 2:7 what a soul is.

It's a simple formula really...

Dust(Body) + Breath (of life from God) = Soul (an individual human being)

That's it.

Anything else is an addition or subtraction from God's Word, or (as the case usually is) taking it out of context into pretext.

Jerry Shugart

MarcATL

Sometimes a soul is described as an individual human being. But that is in regard to the "inner" man as opposed to the "outward" man. Paul likens the body to something in which one is clothed upon (2 Cor.5:1-4).

The "soul" (the inner man) leaves the body upon the death of that body.
Sounds convoluted.

The Bible is plain sir, as I pointed out what it states in Genesis 2:7.

So are you suggesting that this "inner man" that you speak of, has a consciousness, separate and apart from that of the body, or what we know now in other words?

glorydaz

Explain those dynamics.

Even animals have the breath of life, but man is comprised of body, soul, and spirit.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

MarcATL

Even animals have the breath of life, but man is comprised of body, soul, and spirit.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
What about Genesis 2:7, where a soul is defined in the beginning, literally.

What do you have to say about that?

God's Truth

What about Genesis 2:7, where a soul is defined in the beginning, literally.

What do you have to say about that?

Man becomes a living soul when his body is made alive by the breath of God when He breathes a spirit in the man.

Don't believe what you have heard.

Study for yourself.

Job 32:8 But it is the spirit in a person, the breath of the Almighty, that gives them understanding.

Job 33:4 "The Spirit of God has made me, And the breath of the Almighty gives me life.

Genesis 2:7 Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

The flesh body without the spirit is dead. The flesh body with the spirit is a living soul..

James 2:26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

The body with the spirit is a soul.

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

God's Truth

God's breath puts a spirit in our body at conception.

Don't believe these people here who merely repeat what their false teachers taught them.

our bodies are made alive by the spirit God gives each one of us, and it is what makes us a living soul.

MarcATL

Man becomes a living soul when his body is made alive by the breath of God when He breathes a spirit in the man.

Don't believe what you have heard.

Study for yourself.

Job 32:8 But it is the spirit in a person, the breath of the Almighty, that gives them understanding.

Job 33:4 "The Spirit of God has made me, And the breath of the Almighty gives me life.

Genesis 2:7 Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

The flesh body without the spirit is dead. The flesh body with the spirit is a living soul..

James 2:26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

The body with the spirit is a soul.

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
I don't know if you've noticed, but this is what I've been saying this entire thread.

It's the premise of my OP.

God's Truth

I don't know if you've noticed, but this is what I've been saying this entire thread.

It's the premise of my OP.

Of course I noticed, but now that we confirm we both believe a soul is a body with a spirit...tell me, do you believe the spirit lives on in consciousness after the death of the body?

As a side note: you could have appreciated all the scriptures and argument for the truth that I explained.

way 2 go

So @JudgeRightly

Explain those dynamics.

The Bible tells us in Genesis 2:7 what a soul is.

It's a simple formula really...

Dust(Body) + Breath (of life from God) = Soul (an individual human being)

That's it.

Anything else is an addition or subtraction from God's Word, or (as the case usually is) taking it out of context into pretext.

you just separated them into two separate entities

1Th 5:23 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Derf

Good question, but why do you think it is so dangerous? Because it gives false hope? Because it engenders false expectations? I've been thinking through the idea of the person being unaware in death (or "sleep") until the person is resurrected (bodily).

The heavenly awareness idea is pervasive in our churches and society at large.

I have an additional question. Can you give me scriptures that say we will spend eternity in heaven?

To your question:
The scripture most often cited about awareness in death is the story of the Rich Man and Lazarus (Lu 16:19-31). It doesn't really say anyone looked down on live people from heaven, nor that it is about heaven at all. Even those that believe it talks of awareness in death often say that it is a picture of a pre-Christ's-death Hades, and that there was a change at Christ's death (or resurrection or something in between).

Another is that Jesus said to the thief, "Today you will be with me in Paradise." (Lu 23:43) If the thief is to have any benefit from Jesus' words, and "today" really means that same day, then it suggests awareness after death (and before the thief was resurrected).

Jesus told us that no one had ascended into heaven except He that had descended from heaven (John 3:13). That says that at least up until that time, no one had ascended into heaven (I don't know how Enoch and Elijah fit in). Paul said that he had ascended into the third heaven, which he also called "Paradise". 2 Cor 12:2-4. He didn't know if it was bodily or in spirit only.

Rev 2:7 says that Paradise is in heaven.

So, following that logic, if the Lazarus story and the thief on the cross story tell us that there is awareness in death (prior to bodily resurrection), and if "absent from the body" means "present with the Lord", and the Lord ascended into heaven (where he sits at the right hand of the Father) after His resurrection, and the thief on the cross was with Jesus in Paradise immeditaely after death, and paradise is in heaven, then the dead believers must be aware and in heaven with Jesus.

Whether they can "look down" on events on the earth is another question. I don't know that it is very hard to imagine it to be the case. Why would our activities on the earth be hidden from those that are with the Lord? Heb 12:1 suggests that those in the hall of faith are "witnesses" of what we are doing. But Heb 11:39 says they did not "receive the promise". Maybe they are merely witnesses to us, and not witnesses of us.

I've had one pastor preach an interesting theory that avoids both the "soul sleep" idea and the "awareness prior to resurrection" idea. He suggested that the dead in Christ are no longer bound by time--they are immediately in the presence of the Lord after death, but they aren't looking down on earthly activities, because it is "in the resurrection", as Jesus said, so they would not be cognizant of the activities on earth in between their death and resurrection.

To me, this doesn't really look much different from a soul sleep idea--time, to the individual, would consist of awareness before death and awareness after resurrection, and who cares whether they were somehow transported in time or just lay unaware in the grave in between.

The Witch of Endor story (1 Sam 28:7ff) suggests a soul sleep idea, at least in the OT (maybe it changed after Christ's death?). In it Samuel complains of Saul disturbing him (or "disquieting" in some translations) 1 Sam 28:15. To me, this seems like a different state than that described for Lazarus, but I'm not sure.

David, grieving over his first child from Bathsheba, suggests some awareness in death in 2 Sam 12:23b, but it could be read other ways.

Jerry Shugart

So are you suggesting that this "inner man" that you speak of, has a consciousness, separate and apart from that of the body, or what we know now in other words?

The body is described by Paul as being a garment with which a person is clothed:

"For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven: If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked. For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life" (2 Cor.5:1-4).​

Here Paul speaks of two different aspects of a person:

"For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day"
(2 Cor.4:16).​

The outward man is the Christians body and it is perishing. It is the inward man, the soul who is saved by the word of God:

"Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls" (1 Pet.1:9).​