Where Does The Bible Say...? (HOF thread)

JustAChristian

Many people believe that as long as one accepts Christ as his or her personal savior, he or she will be saved. I ask the question, “What do they mean when one accepts Christ?� In Matthew 7:21-23, we see some people who accepted Jesus, but He never knew them. The Bible likens conversion to a marriage. In every marriage, both parties must consent to the marriage, right? Colossians 2:6 says we must accept Christ and Romans 15:7 says Christ must accept us. I ask you, "Where does the Bible make this statement? Where does it say that if one will only accept Christ as their personal savior apart from ones obedience to the Lord's commandments of faith, repentence, baptism for the remission of sins and enduring to the end of life then he or she will be saved? Hoping in the Lord to receive comments on this thread.

In Christ,
JustAChristian

Aimiel

Good point. That'll preach again. Only those in a relationship with Him will be brought in, others will hear, "Depart from Me, I never knew you."

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Those who accept Christ will be obedient. Those who claim to accept Christ and are not obedient did not accept Christ. Because accepting Christ means to accpet all He is, and everything He stands for.

LightSon

Originally posted by lighthouse

Those who accept Christ will be obedient. Those who claim to accept Christ and are not obedient did not accept Christ. Because accepting Christ means to accpet all He is, and everything He stands for.

Hey lighthouse,
Let's turn that around. Does you statement mean that those who "truly" accept Christ are never disobedient?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
No, LightSon, it does not. I said that those who were completely disobedient were not accepting of the truth of God. Pay attention.

LightSon

No, LightSon, it does not. I said that those who were completely disobedient were not accepting of the truth of God. Pay attention.

I asked a simple question to get some clarification and to be friendly. Why the attitude? Your remark of "pay attention" is a statement of your pride. Learn to be gentle and slow to speak down to others.

JustAChristian

Take The Test...

Take The Test...

lighthouse,

Would you take this short test?

1. Do you believe the gospel account that Jesus is the Son of God? (John 8:24; Acts 15:7)

2. Have you made public confession of that belief? (Matthew 10:32-33; Rom. 10:10).

3. Have you repented of your sins. (Luke 13:3-5; Act 3:19).

4. Have you been baptized for the remission of sins? (Mark 16:15-16; Acts 2:38).

If you feel this is not an accurate test then make the right entries.

In Christ,
JustAChristian

These are commandments from Jesus preached by his apostles

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
LightSon-
I did not mean that as an insult. I apologize.

JustAChristian-
1] Yes.
2] Yes.
3] Yes
4] I've been baptized in the Spirit, but my water baptism has nothing to do with the remission of my sins. Christ's blood took care of that.

JustAChristian

LightSon-
I did not mean that as an insult. I apologize.

JustAChristian-
1] Yes.
2] Yes.
3] Yes
4] I've been baptized in the Spirit, but my water baptism has nothing to do with the remission of my sins. Christ's blood took care of that.

Sorry, you've failed the test! Jesus said that one must be born again of water and the spirit. You left out an essential part. Do you suppose that God will accept you in your sins? He wouldn't accept Paul (Read Acts 22:16). Do you suppose those who heard Peter and the apostles on the day of Pentecost, if they rejected their preaching (Peter and the other apostles) who said they must repent and be baptized for the remission of sins, failed to heed the command that God would accept them? I don't think so! To be baptism for the remission of sins is a command of Jesus Christ (Matthew 28:18-20; Mark 16:15-16). It is the way one gets into Christ (Galatians 3:27). We are buried and raised with Christ in baptism (Romans 6:3-5). The Bible says that Baptism also now saves us (1 Peter 3:21). You read all this and reject the commandment? How then do you contact the cleansing blood of Christ?

JustAChristian

Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Acts 8:12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

Acts 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

Acts 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

Acts 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

Acts 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by billwald

"Accepting Christ as a personal savour" is not a biblical concept.
:thumb:

I've asked many an evangelical to point out where that "personal savior" passage is and not one has ever found it... :think:

Nineveh

Merely Christian
"That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. "

Christ is who saves, hence, Jesus is Savior. Can one "confess" for another? No, so that's personal. Can one "believe in" someone else's heart? No, so that is personal, too.

JustAChristian

Hummmmm...

Hummmmm...

Originally posted by Nineveh

"That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. "

Christ is who saves, hence, Jesus is Savior. Can one "confess" for another? No, so that's personal. Can one "believe in" someone else's heart? No, so that is personal, too.

But what have you proven? You have not discounted my premise at all. Furthermore, your verse reference in Romans 10 was told to the church not to the sinner. This is what the Christian is to do; confess daily in our lives that Jesus is Lord and believe daily that God did in deed raise Him from the dead. Only then are we fit for the kingdom of heaven. It is a shame how many "Christians" fail to do these important acts of obedience.

JustAChristian

JustAChristian

Originally posted by Zakath

:thumb:

I've asked many an evangelical to point out where that "personal savior" passage is and not one has ever found it... :think:

Zakath,

Thank you for you response. Let me continue by asking, Is it your understanding as it is mine that the apostles were baptized with the Holy Spirit and those who believed Peter's preaching were baptized in water in the name of Christ on the same day. Cornelius was baptized with the Holy Spirit and the same day, likely within the same hour, was baptized in water in the name of Christ. Jesus told Nicodemus that without being "born of water and of the Spirit" one can not enter this spiritual family, the church (John 3:1-8). "Born of water and of the Spirit" refers to the one new birth, accomplished when one is baptized in water according to (or, as directed by) the Holy Spirit (John 3:3-5). Holy Spirit baptism was never meant for all people. Do you see therefore,as I do that many examples are shown in Acts of people who were not Holy Spirit baptized but rejoiced in their relationship to Christ? Have a great rest of the day.

JustAChristian :angel:

Zakath

Resident Atheist

That's an awful lot of verbal gymnastics to get a simple phrase...

If it was so important why didn't Paul or even Jesus say it that way?

BTW, some non-evangelical Christians who believe in covenant theology assert that parents can "confess" for their under-age child.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Re: Hummmmm...

Re: Hummmmm...

Originally posted by JustAChristian

But what have you proven? You have not discounted my premise at all.

Mea culpa, I was addressing billwald and Zakath really...

Furthermore, your verse reference in Romans 10 was told to the church not to the sinner.

Seriously now, would anyone be in the Body is they had not already confessed and believed?

This is what the Christian is to do; confess daily in our lives that Jesus is Lord and believe daily that God did in deed raise Him from the dead. Only then are we fit for the kingdom of heaven. It is a shame how many "Christians" fail to do these important acts of obedience.

At the time I confessed and believed, I was Baptised by the Spirit and made part of the Body. Are you saying we need to be resaved every moment?

Nineveh

Merely Christian

That's an awful lot of verbal gymnastics to get a simple phrase...

Well... obviously that simple statement has escaped your (and billwald's) understanding.

If it was so important why didn't Paul or even Jesus say it that way?

Didn't Paul (dramatically hand picked by Jesus) write Romans?

BTW, some non-evangelical Christians who believe in covenant theology assert that parents can "confess" for their under-age child.

Well, fortunately, my faith isn't dictated by men :)

Zakath

Resident Atheist

Well... obviously that simple statement has escaped your (and billwald's) understanding.[/'quote]Perhaps because it's not actually there...

So show me where the term "accept Jesus (or Christ) as personal savior" is used in any bible translation...

I'd be interested in seeing such a simple concept explicitly stated. So would many non-evangelical Christians...

Didn't Paul (dramatically hand picked by Jesus) write Romans?
Are you saying it is in Romans?

If so, please cite chapter and verse...

Well, fortunately, my faith isn't dictated by men :)
Your faith is mainly dependent on the veracity of the contents of a collection of copies of books (for which no originals appear to exist).

These copies were allegedly of books written by men (centuries ago) in one or more languages you cannot read.

The copies were then translated by other men you've never met...

It would appear to a casual observer that your faith is very dependent on and dictated by men... ;)

Nineveh

Merely Christian

Perhaps because it's not actually there...

Seems to say "you" and "your". Sounds rather personal.

Are you saying it is in Romans?

That verse is in Romans, yes.

Your faith is mainly dependent on the veracity of the contents of a collection of copies of books (for which no originals appear to exist).

These copies were allegedly of books written by men (centuries ago) in one or more languages you cannot read.

The copies were then translated by other men you've never met...

It would appear to a casual observer that your faith is very dependent on and dictated by men... ;)

And I am also quite content not to take "theological" understanding from an apostate turned atheist :)