Which gospel?

beloved57

Hi heir,

I've added more to my former post here. I believe in a universal gospel of the kingdom based on the Fatherhood of God and Brotherhood of man proclaimed by Jesus and taught by his apostles and followers, however their teachings may have changed, altered and modified certain aspects of the original teaching...as often happens within the evolution of any given religious tradition or culture.

Since Jesus didnt necessarily promise the coming of a 13th disciple, and warned of false teachers coming in his name, I dont see any precedent or imperative to believe Paul as precisely as you do but to take his words carefully and discern them in relation to the words of Jesus and the original 12 apostles. Since I also do not believe the NT contains the whole or final truth of Jesus, and the biblical record is imperfect and subject human error and embellishments....I find other sources for Jesus teaching and universal truth in general as helpful in discovering what Jesus is all about and the various ways to interpret the Christ story and message (historically, allegorically, mythically, and so on).

Your insistence then for exalting Paul's gospel as the only one that "saves" is incidental to taking the NT under the assumption that it favors a Pauline disposition, but I see that more of how it was canonized and made by scribes/editors to appear that way when there is much more to consider in the historical context. See: The Paul Problem
False statements!

Sent from my 5054N using TheologyOnline mobile app

Nanja

The apostles preached 'Christ died for our sins' to whomever. That refutes limited atonement.

The Gospel was preached to the Saints, to the Faithful, called to be Saints, the Blessed according to having been Chosen in Christ.

~~~~~

Sonnet

The Gospel was preached to the Saints, to the Faithful, called to be Saints, the Blessed according to having been Chosen in Christ.

~~~~~

No - Paul preached it where Christ was not known - Romans 15:20. Those that would never believe would have heard Paul say, 'Christ died for our sins.'

How else can one deliver good news unless you say that it actually relates to each individual?

john w

Hall of Fame
John w - why the language? I'm not going to respond if you write like this.

Why the attempting to deceive, fleece the sheep/babes?

"I agree they did not fully understand beforehand."-you

Deceiver, as the dbr was hid from them. And knock off misquoting me. I quoted the book, which states that the dbr was hid from them-they had no idea it would occur, so stuff your "did not fully understand"-you made that up.

Nanja

No - Paul preached it where Christ was not known - Romans 15:20. Those that would never believe would have heard Paul say, 'Christ died for our sins.'

How else can one deliver good news unless you say that it actually relates to each individual?

The Called, The Faithful, The Saints Born of God shall hear the Gospel of their Salvation Eph. 1:13, which is Spiritual 1 Cor. 2:13.

And because they were Chosen to Salvation, they shall believe the Truth. For Faith / Belief Gal. 5:22 is a Fruit of the Spirit they are given in New Birth.

2 Thes. 2:13-14
13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining
of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

But all the rest cannot hear God's Word because they have a different father John 8:44.

John 8:43, 47
43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.
47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

When the Gospel is preached it accomplishes that which pleases God.

2 Cor. 2:14-17
14 Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place.
15 For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:
16 To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things?
17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

Is. 55:11
So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

~~~~~

Sonnet

Why the attempting to deceive, fleece the sheep/babes?

Deceiver, as the dbr was hid from them. And knock off misquoting me. I quoted the book, which states that the dbr was hid from them-they had no idea it would occur, so stuff your "did not fully understand"-you made that up.

Deliberately provoking. Why?

Reactions: Lon

Sonnet

The Called, The Faithful, The Saints Born of God shall hear the Gospel of their Salvation Eph. 1:13, which is Spiritual 1 Cor. 2:13.

And because they were Chosen to Salvation, they shall believe the Truth. For Faith / Belief Gal. 5:22 is a Fruit of the Spirit they are given in New Birth.

13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

But all the rest cannot hear God's Word because they have a different father John 8:44.

47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

14 Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place.
15 For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:
16 To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things?
17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

~~~~~

None of this deals with what I actually wrote. Paul told whomever, 'Christ died for our sins.' You can't preach such words if Christ did not die all men.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Act 17:24 God........
Act 17:26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
Act 17:27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

Sonnet

And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,

Clearly, belief is required. It does not say 'shall hear'.

1 Cor. 2:13 pertains to the mature in Christ, not unbelievers. Please read the whole chapter.

'Faithfulness' is not the same as 'faith in God' since the context is moral behaviour. Faith is not a work of righteousness.

Since they are chosen also by 'belief of the truth', then I can't see why you think this is relevant for your argument.

This is true of all men in general - however, Jesus also says to these particular Jew:

14 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35 Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. 37 I know that you are Abraham’s descendants. Yet you are looking for a way to kill me, because you have no room for my word.

They chose to have no room for his word. Such men were full of their own pride - that they were righteous because they thought they were fulfilling the law. Jesus disabuses them of this notion.

v. 24 I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins.

If they CANNOT believe (ie if Calvinism's theology is correct), then Jesus misled them.

I have no idea why you have cited this.

~~~~~

And?

Last edited:

john w

Hall of Fame
Deliberately provoking. Why?

Deliberately attempting to deceive, fleece the sheep/babes? Why?

Fun!

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Deliberately attempting to deceive, fleece the sheep/babes? Why?

Fun!

Johnny Dub is coming to see the Cardinals !! Get me a ticket John