Husband&Father

yes
but
isn't he talking about the church?
this is why I have a problem with converts
they saw the church from afar
I can't
I never knew what it was like not to belong to the church

I don't think he is referencing "the church" and Chesterton acknowledges your "problem" with not being able to see your culture from afar, but he sees it a a problem hampering the critic of Christianity not the believing Christian. He says:

The point of this book, in other words, is that the next best thing to
being really inside Christendom is to be really outside it. And a particular point of it is that the popular critics of Christianity are not really outside it. They are on a debatable ground, in every sense of the term. They are doubtful in their very doubts. Their criticism has taken on a curious tone; as of a random and illiterate heckling. Thus they make current and anti-clerical cant as a sort of small-talk. They will complain of parsons dressing like parsons; as if we should be any more free if all the police who shadowed or collared us were plain clothes detectives. Or they will complain that a sermon cannot be interrupted, and call a pulpit a coward's castle; though they do not call an editor's office a coward's castle.

Some people can be born into the faith and stay in it but others feel rebellious against it like teenagers who go through a stage of rebellion l against their families, only teenagers usually snap out of it.
Chesterton describes ti this way:

It is well with the boy when he lives on his father's land;
and well with him again when he is far enough from it to look back on it and see it as a whole. But these people have got into an intermediate state, have fallen into an intervening valley from which they can see neither the heights beyond them nor the heights behind. They cannot get out of the penumbra of Christian controversy.

I love the way he sums the attitude up:

They cannot be Christians and they can not leave off being Anti-Christians. Their whole atmosphere is the atmosphere of a reaction: sulks, perversity, petty criticism. They still live in the shadow of the faith and have lost the light of the faith.

So, so true.

Last edited:

PureX

I don't think he is referencing "the church" and Chesterton acknowledges your "problem" with not being able to see your culture from afar, but he sees it a a problem hampering the critic of Christianity not the believing Christian. He says:

The point of this book, in other words, is that the next best thing to
being really inside Christendom is to be really outside it. And a particular point of it is that the popular critics of Christianity are not really outside it. They are on a debatable ground, in every sense of the term. They are doubtful in their very doubts. Their criticism has taken on a curious tone; as of a random and illiterate heckling. Thus they make current and anti-clerical cant as a sort of small-talk. They will complain of parsons dressing like parsons; as if we should be any more free if all the police who shadowed or collared us were plain clothes detectives. Or they will complain that a sermon cannot be interrupted, and call a pulpit a coward's castle; though they do not call an editor's office a coward's castle.

Some people can be born into the faith and stay in it but others feel rebellious against it like teenagers who go through a stage of rebellion l against their families, only teenagers usually snap out of it.

and well with him again when he is far enough from it to look back on it and see it as a whole. But these people have got into an intermediate state, have fallen into an intervening valley from which they can see neither the heights beyond them nor the heights behind. They cannot get out of the penumbra of Christian controversy.

They cannot be Christians and they can not leave off being Anti-Christians. Their whole atmosphere is the atmosphere of a reaction: sulks, perversity, petty criticism. They still live in the shadow of the faith and have lost the light of the faith.

So, so true.
I suspect there is some truth in all this, but there is a lot of nonsense there as well. A person's "distance" from a subject does necessarily effect their understanding of it, but it does not necessarily effect the quality or accuracy of their criticism. It only effects the scope of it.

I agree that criticizing things like the uniforms is silly, but then who is really doing that? No serious critic that I am aware of. Yet those who are or have been close to the church do have a strong ability to criticize it's internal mechanisms which outsiders would not have knowledge or experience of. And of course, such mechanisms will be imperfect, and therefor legitimately deserving of criticism. Even if such internalized criticism might be somewhat prone to the 'technicalities' of church operation.

So although the insider may, as your post suggests, be prone to obsessing over minutiae, it may just as likely be extremely accurate and detailed in a way that, if the church was willing to accept criticism, could help it to change itself for the better.

The problem with religious Christian apologists, however, is that they, almost to a man, are completely unwilling to accept that ANY criticism of their church or their doctrines as legitimate. Which is, of course, both absurd and irrational.

brewmama

And a particular point of it is that the popular critics of Christianity are not really outside it. They are on a debatable ground, in every sense of the term. They are doubtful in their very doubts. Their criticism has taken on a curious tone; as of a random and illiterate heckling. Thus they make current and anti-clerical cant as a sort of small-talk. They will complain of parsons dressing like parsons; as if we should be any more free if all the police who shadowed or collared us were plain clothes detectives. Or they will complain that a sermon cannot be interrupted, and call a pulpit a coward's castle; though they do not call an editor's office a coward's castle.[/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/B][/B][/B]

So, so true.

Beautifully put, for sure. What's interesting though, is how some of those outside of Christianity are now finding that Christianity is not so bad after all, such as Bill Maher and now Richard Dawkins, as in...

In a text that is coursing about on social media, professional God-slayer Richard Dawkins begrudgingly admitted that Christianity may actually be our best defense against aberrant forms of religion that threaten the world.

“There are no Christians, as far as I know, blowing up buildings,” Dawkins said. “I am not aware of any Christian suicide bombers. I am not aware of any major Christian denomination that believes the penalty for apostasy is death.”

In a rare moment of candor, Dawkins reluctantly accepted that the teachings of Jesus Christ do not lead to a world of terror, whereas followers of radical Islam perpetrate the very atrocities that he laments.

Because of this realization, Dawkins wondered aloud whether Christianity might indeed offer an antidote to protect western civilization against jihad.

“I have mixed feelings about the decline of Christianity, in so far as Christianity might be a bulwark against something worse,” he said."

http://www.breitbart.com/national-s...christianity-bulwark-against-something-worse/

I'm not really sure if those 2 would qualify as being totally outside the faith, or as Chesterton says, "Their whole atmosphere is the atmosphere of a reaction: sulks, perversity, petty criticism. They still live in the shadow of the faith and have lost the light of the faith.

But still, it's interesting.

brewmama

What a coincidence, I just came across another atheist rather wistful toward Christianity. How prescient was Chesterton?

..."Furthermore, when I described him in an article as “the man who had normalized homosexuality,” he insisted on a correction. “I never ‘normalized’ homosexuality,” he said, adding, rather obtusely, “I merely de-listed it as a disorder.”

In a letter written to an ex-lesbian, Spitzer had expressed an almost wistful respect for Christian faith. “What has been wonderful to me about participating in this study is understanding, in a way that I never did before this study, how deeply religious people … experience the world and their life. I suppose I would be happier if I could have that perspective, particularly now that I have a potentially disabling brain disorder.” (Spitzer had just been diagnosed with Parkinson’s.) ”But to me, religion and the notion of an afterlife and divine intervention or guidance is just … wishful thinking to avoid the true state of affairs. There is no divine guidance or afterlife. I don’t need Scripture to know that certain behavior [homosexuality] is harmful to self or others.”

So, back in 1973, did Spitzer “discover” through study of the clinical data—as the public believes—that homosexuality was normal? Not only did he specifically deny normalizing the condition, but I still have his words which suggest a dim awareness of “the law that is written on the heart”—of those things that one “can’t not know” unless that awareness has been somehow erased.

“In homosexuality,” he said, “something’s not working.”

Strange words coming from a hero to the gay world.
http://www.crisismagazine.com/2016/the-bob-spitzer-i-knew

Husband&Father

I suspect there is some truth in all this, but there is a lot of nonsense there as well. A person's "distance" from a subject does necessarily effect their understanding of it, but it does not necessarily effect the quality or accuracy of their criticism. It only effects the scope of it.
Naturally, it is not impossible for people close to a subject (in this case Christianity) to make rational criticisms of it. But being objective has a benefit. You admit that a persons “distance…does necessarily affect their understanding of it” so you must also admit that, if understanding is affected, the criticism will be invalid to the exact extent of the misunderstanding. It could be, as you say, in scope only if the misunderstanding is only one of scope but if the misunderstanding is one of fundamentals the criticism could be fundamentally wrong. But I don’t totally disagree with your contention that you don’t have to be distant to offer real objections and ask real questions. I would point out that the author does not disagree either. Chesterton says that “being really outside” is only second best, implying strongly that being “really inside” is first best. He is pointing out that a certain type of skeptic and critic, he calls them “the popular citric”, are claiming objectivity but are in no way objective.

I agree that criticizing things like the uniforms is silly, but then who is really doing that? No serious critic that I am aware of. Yet those who are or have been close to the church do have a strong ability to criticize it's internal mechanisms which outsiders would not have knowledge or experience of. And of course, such mechanisms will be imperfect, and therefor legitimately deserving of criticism. Even if such internalized criticism might be somewhat prone to the 'technicalities' of church operation.
The internal mechanisms of the Church are not the point. Of course they will be corrupt and inefficient and sometimes (as we saw in the cover-up of the priest molestation scandal) even complicit in great evil. This has been historically true and will remain true as-long-as people (who we Christians admit are faulty and sinful) run the church. The book was not intended to defend the Catholic Church (although the author was a recent convert to it) or any person. What Chesterton is shedding light on is people who will criticize a priest’s vestments but will marvel at a witch doctor’s feathers and write papers about the cultural importance of the native costumes in the Sandwich Islands while laughing a the Pope’s miter. The functioning of the Church is not what is being discussed. This is a book that is defending a Western and a Christian worldview and attempting to show the supreme importance and impact the onset of Christianity had on the history of the world.

The problem with religious Christian apologists, however, is that they, almost to a man, are completely unwilling to accept that ANY criticism of their church or their doctrines as legitimate. Which is, of course, both absurd and irrational.
I think you paint with too broad a brush. Obviously there are some pig headed Christians who will not listen to any arguments against the faith. I believe these are people who are not prepared to argue with a well informed critic and so they try to shut argument down. In-other-words, some people know they are going to get an objection that they can’t answer so they change the subject. I’m sure there are ignorant atheists who are likewise unwilling to engage a well prepared Christian.

Don’t mistake someone not agreeing with a criticism for someone who is unwilling to accept a criticism. They may well accept it if they become convinced of its truth but you can not expect them to accept it just because their opponent has accepted it. Chesterton was, at one time, very open to the idea of atheism and materialism there is good evidence that he flirted with those ideas as a young student. He listened to all sides and, in the end, became convinced on the side of God.

Jeep

Soooo... you think you're "IN" do you? Why? Because your name is a car? State your theological justification for this along with 5 pages of testimony. Do it now!!

How are you going to read if you aren't going to participate much? Hmmmm?

(This has been a message from the Intimidation Dept.)

:carryon:

I ordered the book (sorry, can't read online, need to turn pages). I promise after I get the book, I will participate. CleverDan

BTW a Jeep is NOT a car...

Husband&Father

A wise man would not be biased by one 'perspective' or another. If I were to visit the Grande Canyon, I would want to see it from many different perspectives. From a satellite out in space; from the tip of the highest rim, from the bottom, looking up; perhaps from the back of a horse traversing down an ancient wall path, … etc. My humanness would want to experience all these perspectives. Not deliberately limit myself to one perspective, calling it "human" and the others "vulgar".

They're ALL human, both the actual and the imagined; the microcosmic and the macrocosmic.

So I find this statement suspect; perhaps indicating a bias against science and/or philosophy.

Chesterton did not have an bias against science but he had a problem with scientists who put out junk science and called it real science. I think we all share that frustration. He was willing to accept what was proven but not willing to accept conjecture as fact. He was skeptical about science and about everything else until he was convinced. After he was convinced he was steadfast.

He especially called out scientists who claimed to be totally objective when they (like the rest of us) are bias. He also pointed out junk science when he saw it. Evolutionary Psychology, for example he thought was a joke because it was too easy to pick a psychological trait and just make up any old story about how it evolved. The story could not be proved it only had to be plausible and it was accepted as fact. This, Chesterton thought, was not science. he felt that science needs to be testable.

Husband&Father

Chesterton Book-Club Gaining Ground

Chesterton Book-Club Gaining Ground

Four Confirmed Members and a few other participants.
The goal is 12 members who will read and comment on
The Everlasting Man (Free e-book)
Join the discussion!
Please Post "Yes I'm In" if you will join us.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Great. Glad to have you.

What do you mean "only historical fiction"?

The historical fictional novel is a great way to get acquainted with history. When the writers research is accurate and the story is told around actual events the reader can be time warped back in time to get a feel and understanding of the times of our ancestors.

brewmama

Wow, I just started the part about evolution and the typical wisdom about cavemen. Fascinating. I'm learning a lot already. Will discuss this more when I have more time.

PureX

Beautifully put, for sure. What's interesting though, is how some of those outside of Christianity are now finding that Christianity is not so bad after all, such as Bill Maher and now Richard Dawkins, as in...

I'm not really sure if those 2 would qualify as being totally outside the faith, or as Chesterton says, "Their whole atmosphere is the atmosphere of a reaction: sulks, perversity, petty criticism. They still live in the shadow of the faith and have lost the light of the faith.

But still, it's interesting.
Well, those two have been extreme antagonists when it comes to religion, and reality tends not to be exemplified by the extreme. So I never took them seriously to begin with. And I doubt most people did. Which may account for their sudden mediation. They are living off their public positions, after all.

brewmama

Well, those two have been extreme antagonists when it comes to religion, and reality tends not to be exemplified by the extreme. So I never took them seriously to begin with. And I doubt most people did. Which may account for their sudden mediation. They are living off their public positions, after all.

Are you actually reading the book? If not, why are you here?

PureX

Naturally, it is not impossible for people close to a subject (in this case Christianity) to make rational criticisms of it.
Well, I don't believe that's true. Please explain why "distance" would lead directly to an inability to understand something, any more than complete immersion would. Because my life experience teaches me that both can be either illuminating, or blinding, to equal degrees.
But being objective has a benefit. You admit that a persons “distance…does necessarily affect their understanding of it” so you must also admit that, if understanding is affected, the criticism will be invalid to the exact extent of the misunderstanding.
No, I don't believe this is so. When the scope of the criticism broadens, because of the "distance" of one's perspective, it does not by necessity make the criticism any less valid, or accurate.

One can evaluate the church's relationship to global culture quite clearly and accurately without being a member of the church, for example, because the scope of the criticism is in alignment with the breadth of the critic's perspective. While the view of the insider on this same global effect will likely be biased, and therefor skewed, by what he knows to be the church's specified intent in that regard. The point being that each perspective offers both clarity and impediments of a relative and different sort. Making neither perspective inherently better than the other.
I don’t totally disagree with your contention that you don’t have to be distant to offer real objections and ask real questions. I would point out that the author does not disagree either. Chesterton says that “being really outside” is only second best, implying strongly that being “really inside” is first best. He is pointing out that a certain type of skeptic and critic, he calls them “the popular citric”, are claiming objectivity but are in no way objective.
I agree with that last sentence. But by the same token, bias does not always mean inaccuracy. I may be biased when I denounce the republican party as the "party of the rich, by the rich, and for the rich", but that doesn't make my observation any less accurate.
The internal mechanisms of the Church are not the point. Of course they will be corrupt and inefficient and sometimes (as we saw in the cover-up of the priest molestation scandal) even complicit in great evil. This has been historically true and will remain true as-long-as people (who we Christians admit are faulty and sinful) run the church. The book was not intended to defend the Catholic Church (although the author was a recent convert to it) or any person. What Chesterton is shedding light on is people who will criticize a priest’s vestments but will marvel at a witch doctor’s feathers and write papers about the cultural importance of the native costumes in the Sandwich Islands while laughing a the Pope’s miter. The functioning of the Church is not what is being discussed. This is a book that is defending a Western and a Christian worldview and attempting to show the supreme importance and impact the onset of Christianity had on the history of the world.
That's a lot to write about. And in fact, so much, that I would be skeptical of ANY general overview of such a massive subject.

Even my own singular experience of the church and Christianity leaves me with a very complicated understanding of it, and of it's effect on just my own life. So that transposing such an understanding to global history… well … who could do that and do it accurately?

Which is why I pay little attention to pop anti-religious critics like Dick Dawkins and Bill Mahar.
I think you paint with too broad a brush. Obviously there are some pig headed Christians who will not listen to any arguments against the faith. I believe these are people who are not prepared to argue with a well informed critic and so they try to shut argument down. In-other-words, some people know they are going to get an objection that they can’t answer so they change the subject. I’m sure there are ignorant atheists who are likewise unwilling to engage a well prepared Christian.
I was painting with the broad brush, that's true. But I was doing it for effect.

The bias of the apologists I've encountered is very real and quite extreme. And although I have encountered only a few, the inability of the 'church' to accept criticism, as evidence by it's ability to change for the better, is also quite evident to anyone with eyes. So that in this case, I think my biased overstatement is not necessarily inaccurate.
Don’t mistake someone not agreeing with a criticism for someone who is unwilling to accept a criticism.
They often go hand in hand, and the evidence of it can be found in their inability to reasonably explain their intractability.
They may well accept it if they become convinced of its truth but you can not expect them to accept it just because their opponent has accepted it.
The problem with this argument is that when it comes to matters of faith, the paradigm in question verifies itself, for the person who believes in it. But stands as an invalidated proposition to everyone else. And an impasse is immediately reached. The believer THINKS he is open-minded, while his 'faith' ensures that he is not.
Chesterton was, at one time, very open to the idea of atheism and materialism there is good evidence that he flirted with those ideas as a young student. He listened to all sides and, in the end, became convinced on the side of God.
The thing is, that only really matters to Chesterton. The rest of us have to investigate and determine the truthfulness of such propositions, for ourselves. One of the ways we do that is by interrogating the "believers", like Chesterton. But when we try, we almost always hit that wall of bias, called "faith".

It's the same wall that makes the church very resistant to criticism, and positive change.

Husband&Father

Well, I don't believe that's true. Please explain why "distance" would lead directly to an inability to understand something, any more than complete immersion would. Because my life experience teaches me that both can be either illuminating, or blinding, to equal degrees.
No, I don't believe this is so. When the scope of the criticism broadens, because of the "distance" of one's perspective, it does not by necessity make the criticism any less valid, or accurate.

I think you misunderstand me. I am agreeing with you. I do think a person can offer legitimate (as in logical and rational) critique of something (even the church) if they are close to it or far from it. So, unless I'm missing something we are on the same page on that point. In other words I think that we all have the right and the ability to offer our opinions on a subject regardless of our relative "distance". My only point was that there are benefits (that does not mean no drawbacks) to being objective.

Chesterton would agree he said "it is well when a boy lives on his fathers farm" meaning that being close to something is a valuable perspective but he also said "it is also well when he is far enough away to see it clearly" (paraphrase not verbatim). meaning being objective also has benefits. I think you would agree, yes?

Husband&Father

Wow, I just started the part about evolution and the typical wisdom about cavemen. Fascinating. I'm learning a lot already. Will discuss this more when I have more time.

Chesterton was not big fan of evolution but he made a point in this book to present evidence that is true whether-or-not evolution is true.

He made the point the even IF we evolved from beasts (a big IF that he was not sold on) there was a point when we became Man, something much, much more than "just" a beast.