• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Why are Christians embracing Evolution?

Hobie

BANNED
Banned
Theistic evolution is just another way to get around Gods truth of Creation, and substituted it with mans ideas and theories. Yet we have these Christians believing that God used evolution to create annuls numerous Bible teachings...

Their is a rising number of Christian scholars and leaders that are increasingly advocating theistic evolution to explain creation, but the dilemma is that Christians cannot accept theistic evolution unless they annul many of their Bible-based fundamental beliefs. Theistic evolution, the belief that God used processes of evolution to create, implies at least believing “an account of origins at odds with the biblical record of history,” said Geoscience Research Institute scientist Timothy Standish. It also implies, he added, introducing the presence of death before sin, or at least defining death in different ways before sin and after sin.

Thus Christians, “cannot embrace theistic evolution without exhibiting extraordinary duplicity and naiveté,” Standish said.

The questions may be asked, why do many confessed Christians not see a conflict between the work of a Creator God and evolution? Why are they embracing evolution without a second thought?

Derf

or at least defining death in different ways before sin and after sin.
Christians regularly redefine “death” as “separation”, which effectively nullifies God’s warning about death for disobedience.

Leatherneck

Temp Banned
I
Christians regularly redefine “death” as “separation”, which effectively nullifies God’s warning about death for disobedience.
IMO,Christians are embracing evolution because they do not believe God did as He said He did concerning creation.

Derf

I

IMO,Christians are embracing evolution because they do not believe God did as He said He did concerning creation.
Yes, I would agree. And some of those are confusing what some say about dinosaurs being fake as part of God’s word, because of false teachers.

Those of us who are scientific by nature and education, do not appreciate being lumped in with those Christians who believe in evolution. While I believe in an old Earth and old universe, do not accept evolution as a reasonable explanation of creation.

Reactions: DLH

Derf

Those of us who are scientific by nature and education, do not appreciate being lumped in with those Christians who believe in evolution. While I believe in an old Earth and old universe, do not accept evolution as a reasonable explanation of creation.
Man was created scientific “by nature”. But education has a downside, as illustrated by the tree of knowledge.

Gary K

Banned
I believe in a young earth and an extremely old universe because God has already existed for an eternity. In other words no matter how many years you speculate as the age of the universe I believe in an even older universe because I believe in God and His word.

Gary K

Banned
That's weird. If you don't write anything in your post I cannot quote you.

That you think that Genesis 1:1 is evidence to support the following assertions is actually really sad. It doesn't come close to supporting them.

God is not part of His own creation.
God has always existed, but His universe has not.

I can refute your first assertion with nothing more than a song.

Your second assertion is refuted by one question. In the beginning of what?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
That's weird. If you don't write anything in your post I cannot quote you.

That you think that Genesis 1:1 is evidence to support the following assertions is actually really sad. It doesn't come close to supporting them.

I can refute your first assertion with nothing more than a song.

Your second assertion is refuted by one question. In the beginning of what?

Is the universe a created "thing"?

Gary K

Banned
Is the universe a created "thing"?
Of course it is. It didn't come about through evolution. It is part of God's creation. It's almost like you think God is a "one shot wonder".

The really weird part of your belief is that you think a highly creative and social being, God, lived in a sort of suspended animation and did nothing for an eternity. That is an insult to both the creativity and character of God. He told us to "Go to the ant thou sluggard. Consider her ways and be wise" and you think God did nothing, created nothing, for an eternity. In other words, you consider God a big time hypocrite who tells us do as I say, not as I do.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Of course it is. . . . It is part of God's creation.

So then you agree with RD that God has always existed, but the universe has not?

God is not part of His own creation.
God has always existed, but His universe has not.

The really weird part of your belief is that you think a highly creative and social being, God, lived in a sort of suspended animation and did nothing for an eternity.

The really weird part of your belief is that you believe that I believe that God "lived in a sort of suspended animation and did nothing for an eternity."

Nothing could be further from the truth.

. . . you think God did nothing [for an eternity],

Wrong. The members of the Godhead fellowshipped with one another throughout eternity past.

. . . created nothing, for an eternity.

Correct. And then at some point before about 7 thousand years ago, God had a new idea and decided to create something.

In other words, you consider God a big time hypocrite who tells us do as I say, not as I do.

I have no idea what you're talking about anymore.

Right Divider

Body part
Of course it is. It didn't come about through evolution. It is part of God's creation. It's almost like you think God is a "one shot wonder".

The really weird part of your belief is that you think a highly creative and social being, God, lived in a sort of suspended animation and did nothing for an eternity. That is an insult to both the creativity and character of God. He told us to "Go to the ant thou sluggard. Consider her ways and be wise" and you think God did nothing, created nothing, for an eternity. In other words, you consider God a big time hypocrite who tells us do as I say, not as I do.
We don't know what God did prior to the creation of our universe. The Bible doesn't talk about it. It would be wrong to make assumptions about it.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
We don't know what God did prior to the creation of our universe. The Bible doesn't talk about it. It would be wrong to make assumptions about it.

We do know a little bit. Nothing specific, but we do know a few things.

For example, as I noted in my post above yours, we know that the most important thing to God is relationships, and because God is relational, and because God is triune, we know that there would have been fellowshipping within the Godhead.

We know that Jesus had glory with the Father before the world began.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Right Divider

Body part

For example, as I noted in my post above yours, we know that the most important thing to God is relationships, and because God is relational, and because God is triune, we know that there would have been fellowshipping within the Godhead.

Agreed.

Derf

Bible Verses about Before the Foundation of the World

• Ephesians 1:3-6
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved.

So Christ was chosen, and we in Him, before the foundation of the world. That tells me that there was lots of planning taking place, knowing that humans weren't going to be holy and without blame, we were predestined to become holy and without blame through the sacrifice of Christ. Therefore the sacrifice was planned before the foundation of the world.

• Matthew 25:34-40
    Then the King will say to those on His right hand, "Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me." "Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, "Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?" And the King will answer and say to them, "Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me."

There was a kingdom prepared "from" (maybe not the same as "before") the foundation of the world.

• 1 Peter 1:19-20
    but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot. He indeed was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you

Christ was foreordained before the foundation of the world to be the perfect sacrifice.

• Revelation 13:8
    All who dwell on the earth will worship him, whose names have not been written in the Book of Life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

Again, the sacrifice of Christ was planned, or made available, from before the foundation of the world, but perhaps conditional on whether it was needed, which wasn't determined until man sinned in the Garden.

• Revelation 17:8
    The beast that you saw was, and is not, and will ascend out of the bottomless pit and go to perdition. And those who dwell on the earth will marvel, whose names are not written in the Book of Life from the foundation of the world, when they see the beast that was, and is not, and yet is.

This looks like there are names written in the Book of Life from the foundation of the world, but I tend to think of it as a reference to those who believe on Him who was slain from the foundation of the world, even though they aren't in existence until later, so the can't have believed before they existed. Thus, whatever is written from the foundation of the world is about Christ, and the names are "any who are in Christ" until they are named and believe.

• Matthew 13:35
    that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying:
    “ I will open My mouth in parables;
    I will utter things kept secret from the foundation of the world.”

Another reference to plans that were made at least from the foundation of the world--but more likely they were made before, and only "kept secret" from those that were created at the foundation of the world and later. No need to keep secrets from someone who doesn't exist yet.

• John 17:24
    'Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.

As you noted, there was relationship between Father and Son before the foundation of the world.

• 2 Timothy 1:9
    who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began,

This is more planning words. The grace was given to us by the decision to provide the sacrifice through Christ when the right time came.

• Hebrews 4:3
    For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:
    “ So I swore in My wrath,
    ‘ They shall not enter My rest,’”
    although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Another planning passage. His works were decided, but hadn't all taken place.
  • Hebrews 9:26
    He then would have had to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now, once at the end of the ages, He has appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself.

This, written in the negative sense, tells us that He wasn't suffering starting at or before the foundation of the world, so there must be changes to what He is experiencing since then. And that Christ didn't experience all time in an ever-present "now".

• Acts 15:18
    "Known to God from eternity are all His works.

Same as some of those above--God planned out His works before the world began, at least the important ones. I tend to think "all" only means the ones that weren't contingent on something else, like Hezekiah's death/delay of death.