‘Hope for Iowa': Iowa Churches to Distribute Bibles to Every Home in City

Granite

Hall of Fame
Not at all. Since the case could be made that there are more important charities to give to.

I'd say in general there are far, far more pressing needs than handing out Bibles to people in the United States of America. How much did each Bible cost, I wonder? How many meals? How many diapers? How many gas or rent payments?

It's as though many of you deliberately go as far out of your way as possible to do the exact opposite of what you were specifically told to do.

You must have a pretty low opinion of me if you believe I would have a problem with you suporting an art museum or a radio station that promotes your views.

Del, depending on the "view" I'm supporting you'd probably have a conniption fit.:chuckle:

Nice to know museums that take evolution as fact and the left-wing bastion of NPR are aces in your book, though. It's a load off.:cheers:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'd say in general there are far, far more pressing needs than handing out Bibles to people in the United States of America. How much did each Bible cost, I wonder? How many meals? How many diapers? How many gas or rent payments?

It's as though many of you deliberately go as far out of your way as possible to do the exact opposite of what you were specifically told to do.

Del, depending on the "view" I'm supporting you'd probably have a conniption fit.:chuckle:

Nice to know museums that take evolution as fact and the left-wing bastion of NPR are aces in your book, though. It's a load off.:cheers:
While it is true that I do despise NPR and may not have enormous respect for the causes you give to, I have never given you reason to think I care how you spend your money. Stop being a jerk!:idunno:

zoo22

It cost $18,000 for 12,000 Bibles. Not too crazy. Whatever. If they want to put a Bible on every doorstep in Marshalltown, Iowa, that's their choice.

I figure plenty of the same people praising this program would have a head-spinning fit if a free Quran was distributed to every home, but that sort of hypocrisy is nothing new.

The thing is, free Bibles are already easily available for anyone. Gideons has given away over 2 billion Bibles. I can throw a stone and it'll probably hit a free Bible.

Granite

Hall of Fame
It cost $18,000 for 12,000 Bibles. Not too crazy. Whatever. If they want to put a Bible on every doorstep in Marshalltown, Iowa, that's their choice.

I figure plenty of the same people praising this program people would have a head-spinning fit if a free Quuran was distributed to every home, but that sort of hypocrisy is nothing new.

The thing is, free Bibles are already easily available for anyone. Gideons has given away over 2 billion Bibles. I can throw a stone and it'll probably hit a free Bible.

Free from the Gideons and you can get a free one from the LDS site, too--at least you used to be able to.

Eighteen grand. How many families could that have fed? Housed? Clothed? What a total waste.

Granite

Hall of Fame
While it is true that I do despise NPR and may not have enormous respect for the causes you give to, I have never given you reason to think I care how you spend your money. Stop being a jerk!:idunno:

You got your nose bent out of joint for whatever reason and I don't really think we're talking about the same things at all. As usual.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Free from the Gideons and you can get a free one from the LDS site, too--at least you used to be able to.

Eighteen grand. How many families could that have fed? Housed? Clothed? What a total waste.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a man the word of God, feed him for eternity.

gcthomas

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a man the word of God, feed him for eternity.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a man a fishing net, feed his children for years. Give him a book when he has a low reading age, feed his fire for 20 minutes.

Granite

Hall of Fame

Feel-good self-righteous malarkey. Eighteen grand down the drain.

You seem to be saying that given a choice between feeding someone who's hungry or handing him a book you'd hand him a book.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:thumb:

Luke 4 KJV
(4) And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
What about all the NON-CHRISTIANS in this city ? Surely there must be a fair number of these . Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists , etc as well as atheists and agnostics .
Ironically , many atheists and agnostics know the Bible better than Christians . I wouldn't be surprised if many of the non-christians in this town have Bibles . But isn't it rather patronizing to hand Bibles out to them ?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Feel-good self-righteous malarkey. Eighteen grand down the drain.

You seem to be saying that given a choice between feeding someone who's hungry or handing him a book you'd hand him a book.

Nice try putting words in my mouth.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What about all the NON-CHRISTIANS in this city ? Surely there must be a fair number of these . Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists , etc as well as atheists and agnostics .
Ironically , many atheists and agnostics know the Bible better than Christians . I wouldn't be surprised if many of the non-christians in this town have Bibles . But isn't it rather patronizing to hand Bibles out to them ?

I rather doubt if they are handing them out at gunpoint.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Nice try putting words in my mouth.

Me: "Eighteen grand. How many families could that have fed? Housed? Clothed? What a total waste."

You: "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a man the word of God, feed him for eternity."

If I'm misconstruing what you said let me know how.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Me: "Eighteen grand. How many families could that have fed? Housed? Clothed? What a total waste."

You: "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Give a man the word of God, feed him for eternity."

If I'm misconstruing what you said let me know how.

Never in all my years at TOL have I suggested that evangelism shoud happen instead of helping the poor and you know I would not.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Never in all my years at TOL have I suggested that evangelism shoud happen instead of helping the poor and you know I would not.

So are you agreeing this eighteen grand was essentially a waste of money that could've been better spent?