A Momentary Life...

glorydaz

Some people don't like advice, either. I have lots of good advice, but I've been told to just listen to what they say and not give them my advice. That brought on a momentary silence, believe me.

Not long, but momentary. :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'll try to stop by now and again to put up something that might inspire. I'm moderating elsewhere, so it will be as time allows, which is stretched a bit thin these days, between that and teaching.

In the meantime, today's thought, again:

Fill your mind with cynicism and you leave no room for faith.

Fill your heart with anger and you leave no room for hope.

Fill your soul with with judgement and you leave no room for love.

Fill your day with each of these and you leave no room for God.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Going into the workshop in the morning, with a project half finished and waiting for me on the table. The smell of the wood dust and the pleasure of thinking through the next steps of the process. The glow of the propane heater as it takes the edge off the coolness of the morning air.

A mind with hands and a purpose, would be a terrible thing to waste.

Making beautiful and useful things is a pleasure you cannot experience any other way.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Going to Home Depot for two lag bolts, and spring caught me by surprise today...
46384682714_5978f551ab_b.jpg

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Truster writes:

A lovely poem. But MAD Magazine forever ruined it for me.

I WANDERED LONELY AS A CLOD
I wandered lonely as a clod,
Just picking up old rags and bottles,
When onward on my way I plod,
I saw a host of axolotls;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
A sight to make a man’s blood freeze.

Some had handles, some were plain;
They came in blue, red pink, and green.
A few were orange in the main;
The darndest sight I’ve ever seen.
The females gave a sprightly glance;
The male ones all wore knee-length pants.

Now oft, when on the couch I lie,
The doctor asks me what I see.
They flash upon my inward eye
And make me laugh in fiendish glee.
I find my solace then in bottles,
And I forget them axolotls.

istock-155305369.jpg

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
At the coast today, here's a bird I wasn't expecting, I'd seen the usual gulls, pelicans and cormorants:

View attachment 26899

It had just landed on the sign and I was going OMG OMG OMG inside. So exciting! Barely had time to pull out my phone and get this before it was spooked by oncoming pedestrians. I wish the photo was clearer, wish I'd had more time with it, but very happy to have that moment.

Last edited:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
At the coast today, here's a bird I wasn't expecting, I'd seen the usual gulls, pelicans and cormorants:

View attachment 26897

It had just landed on the sign and I was going OMG OMG OMG inside. So exciting! Barely had time to pull out my phone and get this before it was spooked by oncoming pedestrians. I wish the photo was clearer, wish I'd had more time with it, but very happy to have that moment.

Hi Anna, I wish it was clear also? I see nothing.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Walking Bagel in the early light, and as we get to the far side of the park, a bobcat walks out between two houses about 15 meters from us, stops for a moment in the middle of the street to check us out, and then calmly walks on into another backyard.

Bagel suggests we go the other way. I agree.

Jerry Shugart

The humidity here is currently 3%, wind from the east (Santa Ana) and I have family in various parts of the state affected by the power outages. Thinking right now about everyone dealing with wildfire evacuations, those without power where the night is going to be cold, the pets and livestock left behind and those rescuing them, the exhausted responders in harm's way.

CALIFORNIA—Deprived of luxuries like power and freedom, more and more Californians are being forced to run extension cords over to their neighbors in adjacent states.

A caravan of migrant Californians was seen traversing the deserts separating the state from its eastern neighbors, towing hundreds of miles' worth of extension cords.

Californians knocked on random Nevada and Arizona residents' doors and asked if they could borrow some power to charge their cellphones, power their espresso machines, and run their tanning beds. They were surprised to discover how nice people were in other states, saying things like, "Sure, neighbor!" and "No problem. Do you want to borrow any guns or cactuses?"

Unfortunately, the increased power demand caused the power grids in Arizona and Nevada to get knocked out, so they had to run extension cords over to New Mexico and Utah, respectively. Then their power got knocked out, and their neighbors' power, and so on and so on until all the states on the East Coast were forced to run extension cords over to Europe, but they were electrocuted to death because of the water hazard.

Californians are now looking for an alternative energy source, such as rubbing balloons on hipsters' beards.

You need to move to Texas where they have electricity 24/7.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Mrs. Barbarian getting out of her car, and being pushed by a man in a hurry to get past her. After which a man opened the door of the store to let her in, and on the way out, another man opened the door for her also.

Her takeaway? "The ratio of gentlemen to jerks in males is at least 2 to 1."

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Saw this in the Dallas Stars shop:
49071082213_ef6f65e3b0_b.jpg

A take-off on the Gonzales Flag in the War for Texan Independence. Which was itself a reference to Leonidas of Sparta's answer to the Persian demand for the Spartans to lay down their weapons. So I suppose it should be more like:
"Molon lave, outidanos." (come and take it, varmint)

Last edited: