Alcoholics Anonymous(kinda)

PureX

I still haven't kicked the cigs, but they're next.

Anyone in here wants to chat sometime, let me know. I'm all ears. And congratulations every darn one of you.
I think it's a very good idea not to try and stop them both, together. I know a lot of people who tried and ended up drinking again because they couldn't stop smoking. Or smoking again because they couldn't stop drinking. Both are very difficult to give up. And doing them simultaneously makes it just that much harder.

I was 2 years sober when I finally quit smoking. And I couldn't have done it before then. And I found that sobriety was a great benefit because I understood in advance that quitting smoking meant quitting, not "cutting down". And not 're-negotiating' the decision with every craving. Done with it had to mean done with it, regardless of the discomfort involved. Knowing that helped me quit smoking once and for all, and helped me to stay quit. I knew that one cigarette really meant a whole pack. Just like, for me, one beer means a whole case.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
I think it's a very good idea not to try and stop them both, together. I know a lot of people who tried and ended up drinking again because they couldn't stop smoking. Or smoking again because they couldn't stop drinking. Both are very difficult to give up. And doing them simultaneously makes it just that much harder.

I was 2 years sober when I finally quit smoking. And I couldn't have done it before then. And I found that sobriety was a great benefit because I understood in advance that quitting smoking meant quitting, not "cutting down". And not 're-negotiating' the decision with every craving. Done with it had to mean done with it, regardless of the discomfort involved. Knowing that helped me quit smoking once and for all, and helped me to stay quit. I knew that one cigarette really meant a whole pack. Just like, for me, one beer means a whole case.

I like that term "renegotiating the decision with every craving" LoL! That's great! I was on and off smoking after I got sober. I absolutely loved nicotine! I did that thing where I stopped for about 4 years then the thought "suddenly occurred to me " (like the whisky in the milk guy) that a cigar, which I never smoked in the past, would be nice while washing my truck. Just one! So, off to smoking again! Then it was Nicoret for about a year and a half. Finally I was able to live the decision.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
Been to 47 AA meetings- the only thing that really worked for me was church and my own personal outlook.
Maybe I'm just too self willing, or maybe AA isn't for everyone :idunno:

I always sort of had a problem with the 'alcoholic for life' thing, treating it as a disease- it is unsound from a biblical perspective, at least according to this place downtown which is a discipleship ministry. They take in people with problems ranging anywhere from substance abuse to homelessness, and have an interesting bit to say about it.

The 12 step program and fellowship grew out of the work of Frank Buchman in the Oxford Movement. His was a group of sincere believers trying to get back the basics of "Christianity". Alcoholics Anonymous and other 12 step programs like it have more in common with the religion OF Jesus than Christianity dose. In fact what we find is that people who went to a few 12 step meetings but then turned to religion never really worked the steps, they never followed the instructions in the Big Book. They deceived themselves by making excuses and turning to religion where one can avoid getting specifically honest about their past. And religious people, no matter how well intentioned, don't understand alcoholics and addicts, so they get played while the addicts become restless, erritable and discontent. Besides, Jesus and his Father are the Loving God of aa. They are in the group conscience of every meeting.

We can say that aa is not for everybody but it was our thinking that got us into trouble in the first place, and wherever we go, if we don't fundamentally change then the chances for long term recovery are very slim. That's just a fact!

Drinking and drugging wasn't our problem, it was our solution. If we do not address the real problem we become uncomfortable in our own skin and eventually return to addiction.

PureX

The 12 step program and fellowship grew out of the work of Frank Buchman in the Oxford Movement. His was a group of sincere believers trying to get back the basics of "Christianity". Alcoholics Anonymous and other 12 step programs like it have more in common with the religion OF Jesus than Christianity dose. In fact what we find is that people who went to a few 12 step meetings but then turned to religion never really worked the steps, they never followed the instructions in the Big Book. They deceived themselves by making excuses and turning to religion where one can avoid getting specifically honest about their past. And religious people, no matter how well intentioned, don't understand alcoholics and addicts, so they get played while the addicts become restless, erritable and discontent. Besides, Jesus and his Father are the Loving God of aa. They are in the group conscience of every meeting.

We can say that aa is not for everybody but it was our thinking that got us into trouble in the first place, and wherever we go, if we don't fundamentally change then the chances for long term recovery are very slim. That's just a fact!

Drinking and drugging wasn't our problem, it was our solution. If we do not address the real problem we become uncomfortable in our own skin and eventually return to addiction.
Yup, yup, and yup!

An AA friend used to tell me: "sobriety is just the ticket to the show. The show, itself, is called recovery. Ya gotta lear how to change, or nothin' changes."

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
Do you ever have drinking dreams? Dreams where you drink or try to drink but can't?

I have not. When I stopped, I stopped because I was DONE. It's a strange pattern in my life that's happened several times- do something regardless of the consequences and one day just stop. So I think the lack of dreams are due to there not being any lingering desire. :idunno:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I have not. When I stopped, I stopped because I was DONE. It's a strange pattern in my life that's happened several times- do something regardless of the consequences and one day just stop. So I think the lack of dreams are due to there not being any lingering desire. :idunno:
I struggle with the desire to drink, but I have placed safeguards to keep me from drinking -

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
Kicking the alcohol will result in heavier smoking, it's like a law of the cosmos :chuckle:

:chuckle: It seems to be! If I hadn't quit smoking before I quit drinking, I'd be in for it. Smoking is the only habit that still peeks up at me on occasion. SHHHHH don't tell Mrs Deets, lol

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
:chuckle: It seems to be! If I hadn't quit smoking before I quit drinking, I'd be in for it. Smoking is the only habit that still peeks up at me on occasion. SHHHHH don't tell Mrs Deets, lol

There's a saying: "Once a smoker, always a smoker"

A person could quit for twenty years and pick it back up if life, typically in a time of stress.
You to find another solution, which is the key in going through the throws of alcoholism.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I had to quit drinking in order to stop smoking
-after about a month I was able to slowly go back to drinking without smoking

Why would you want to ... go back to drinking? Life is much healthier without cigarettes, booze and drugs.