Alcoholics Anonymous(kinda)

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
My name is Josh, and I'm an alcoholic. I am working on day 39 of my sobriety, and I don't know much, but I know I won't drink today.

That being said, I searched for a similar thread to no avail, so I thought I'd start one so that any of us that would like/need another place to talk/vent/be heard would have it. I've made some pretty decent friendships on TOL over the last 5 years, so I have no doubt that this thread can be a good place for those of us that need it. I know I need it, since I work 3 weeks at a time without any real chance to catch a meeting.

Bill said in the AA's Big Book that "we are people who normally would not mix. But there exists among us a fellowship, a friendliness, and an understanding which is indescribably wonderful." That's as true at AA meetings as it is here at TOL, so I hope we can all get along, or at least be respectful here. :)

In tradition with AA, I'd like to keep theology out of here as much as possible. This thread is for those who are staying sober, one day at a time, or for those who would like insight into any aspect of AA. I hope this thread is helpful to even one other person here. :wave2:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Good luck to you. I have it in my family and gene pool. I stopped drinking after I found myself riding around between classes with a tallboy, half drunk on a Tuesday. Took inventory and realized how much time I spent doing that and how it was taking over more and more of my social life. I'd even turned video games into a drinking activity, had parties where we took a baseball team and drank or assigned drinks for hits, strikes, bases, ect. I was lucky. I'd watched it kill my closest grandfather, watch it erode a brilliant mind first. I think he saved me from worse.

Stay with it. :thumb:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My name is Josh, and I'm an alcoholic. I am working on day 39 of my sobriety, and I don't know much, but I know I won't drink today.

That being said, I searched for a similar thread to no avail, so I thought I'd start one so that any of us that would like/need another place to talk/vent/be heard would have it. I've made some pretty decent friendships on TOL over the last 5 years, so I have no doubt that this thread can be a good place for those of us that need it. I know I need it, since I work 3 weeks at a time without any real chance to catch a meeting.

Bill said in the AA's Big Book that "we are people who normally would not mix. But there exists among us a fellowship, a friendliness, and an understanding which is indescribably wonderful." That's as true at AA meetings as it is here at TOL, so I hope we can all get along, or at least be respectful here. :)

In tradition with AA, I'd like to keep theology out of here as much as possible. This thread is for those who are staying sober, one day at a time, or for those who would like insight into any aspect of AA. I hope this thread is helpful to even one other person here. :wave2:
YAY!

And, good idea!

glorydaz

It can only help....alcoholism has had a hold on some of my closest loved ones. Knowing how to best help and how to support those we love certainly doesn't come naturally for me. Pretending like it doesn't exist is a fall back position I have too often taken. I'll be interested in following along, Josh. Thanks for sharing your journey.

PureX

Welcome to sobriety, MrDeets!

I've been sober for a long time, thanks to God acting through those wonderful folks of AA. I was at a family gathering in honor of my dad on Saturday (he's passed away), and one of his friends was walking around with a bottle of some expensive whiskey, offering every one a shot. He came to me and asked if I wanted a shot "for the old man". And I think he was taken a little a-back when I said "no, thanks". And for a moment, there, I felt bad that I couldn't join in on the remembrance in that way.

But at the same time I was very grateful for the reminder of why I couldn't join in. Because it's been so many years, it's easy for me to simply not think about the fact that I don't drink alcohol. And yet I know to the very marrow of my bones that if I were to take one drink, there is no knowing when or if I'd stop drinking again. That's just how it is for me. And I appreciated being reminded of that, the other day. Because it matters. And because it reminds me of how much better life is for me, sober.

And anyway, my dad knew I didn't drink and he knew why, and he was both appreciative and respectful of it. So I'm quite sure he wouldn't have felt dishonored in any way by my refusing the shot of whiskey.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
Dang! That was fast. Thank y'all for stopping by! Now.... I've just got to figure out how to pass the basket so you's guys(and gals) can drop in a dollar or two. :eek:

PureX

Good luck to you. I have it in my family and gene pool. I stopped drinking after I found myself riding around between classes with a tallboy, half drunk on a Tuesday. Took inventory and realized how much time I spent doing that and how it was taking over more and more of my social life. I'd even turned video games into a drinking activity, had parties where we took a baseball team and drank or assigned drinks for hits, strikes, bases, ect. I was lucky. I'd watched it kill my closest grandfather, watch it erode a brilliant mind first. I think he saved me from worse.

Stay with it. :thumb:
I can't tell you how much I LOVE hearing about folks who "slipped the noose", so to speak, as you did! Honestly! The idea that the demon doesn't get to run amok and wreck havoc in the lives of everyone he otherwise might have, delights me.

Thanks for sharing that! :thumb:

glorydaz

Dang! That was fast. Thank y'all for stopping by! Now.... I've just got to figure out how to pass the basket so you's guys(and gals) can drop in a dollar or two. :eek:

LOL I heard they have something called PayPal, but I doubt Mr. Knight would allow you to use it for this endeavor. ;)

meshak

BANNED
Banned
I understand that after being sober for a while many slip down to former.

Any of you in that cycle?

It seems that it is hard to stay sober for life time.

glorydaz

Always lookin' at the bright side aren't ya?

Obviously everyone knows it's not easy, but clearly many people have successfully stayed sober for years and years. Think on these things.

PureX

Sometimes, sometimes not. I have met many folks who "hit bottom" so hard that they never drank again. And others who struggled and relapsed for years before they finally managed to stay sober. And others still, who were sober for 20 years and then began to drink, again.

It seems there is no general rule with addiction. By definition, it's out of the addict's control. So every day sober is a good day. And it's "one day at a time", as they say in the rooms.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
It seems that what you eat make this problem solved for good.

I read the book "Potatoes, not Prozac".

It seems this book gives you a way to be sober for a life time without much of struggle.

Author gives instruction what kind of food you should be eating.

I am not alcoholic but I have chronic depression. Alcoholics and depression are both based on chemical imbalance, she says.

What she says makes sense from my life long experience.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
I am from alcoholic family. My father, brother and sister who are dead now were alcoholics. My brother is still living, 4 years younger than me, still alcoholic and he has no desire to be sober.

They both died young.