ARCHIVE - An honest question....

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The Peruvian "artifact" is a modern work, created for tourists. They can even make them to order for you, if you ask.

Boy are some people gullible.

theophilus

Butting in...

Butting in...

Maybe the images are Neandertal surrealism?

Sort of like a Pleistocene Picasso?

:D

Those guys may have had some pretty heady fermentable goo, don't ya think?

...butting out...

your humble servant.

KurtPh

Originally posted by Knight
Kurt says…Have you ever seen a giraffe that looks like the animals on the cylandar?

Nope, that's why I suggested giraffes as a possiblity, not a certainty. Have you seen dinosaurs that look like the animals on the cylinders? If so, what kind?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Well, I think the images on the cylinder look very much like some type of dinosaur like a Brontosaurus or something.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by The Barbarian
The Peruvian "artifact" is a modern work, created for tourists. They can even make them to order for you, if you ask.

Boy are some people gullible.
How about The Dinosaur Figurines Of Acambaro, Mexico?

And do you think the images on the cylander look more like giraffes or more like a Brontosaur?

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Especially since they recently found they have had the wrong head of the supposed brontosaurs all this time.

KurtPh

Originally posted by Lion
Especially since they recently found they have had the wrong head of the supposed brontosaurs all this time.

Perhaps you should "bone" up on your news just a bit. This is an OLD, though true, story. However, it was something that occured several years ago (I want to say at the turn of the 20th century) and was rectified some years later.

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
A mere tick of the clock…geologically speaking.

A mere tick of the clock…geologically speaking.

Historically speaking that’s pretty recent, wouldn’t you say?

Kurt, don’t major in the minors.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Re: A mere tick of the clock…geologically speaking.

LOL....

Lion, Kurt has a PhD in the minors! :D

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So Lion what do you make of those that say the animals on the cylinder look more like giraffes than dinosaurs?

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
Its fun to be rational

Its fun to be rational

Knight-I would say that is quite obvious that they look more like dinosaurs than any other animal I have seen. Not far off from the description of Behemoth found in Job.

Job 40:15-24 “Look now at the behemoth, which I made along with you; He eats grass like an ox. See now, his strength is in his hips, And his power is in his stomach muscles. He moves his tail like a cedar; The sinews of his thighs are tightly knit. His bones are like beams of bronze, His ribs like bars of iron. He is the first of the ways of God; Only He who made him can bring near His sword. Surely the mountains yield food for him, And all the beasts of the field play there. He lies under the lotus trees, In a covert of reeds and marsh. The lotus trees cover him with their shade; The willows by the brook surround him. Indeed the river may rage, Yet he is not disturbed; He is confident, though the Jordan gushes into his mouth, Though he takes it in his eyes, Or one pierces his nose with a snare.

Of course, I guess it could be a giraffe.

Or maybe a jet, if you look at it from the right perspective… mmmm… say, upside down, slightly canted, inverted to the left and turned inside out… and with the Air Force Logo behind it… mmmm… yes I think… I think I can almost see it.

MrReality

BANNED
Banned
Lion seems not to be aware of the fact that the first dinosaur was discovered less than 200 hundred years ago. Then again he also seems to think a hoofed mamilian looking creature is a dinosaur. Lion and Knight, other than the long neck what part of these creatures look like a brontosaurus to you?

KurtPh

In the cosmic scheme of things, I suppose it is. ;)

I wouldn't say this is necessarily a minor point, though. The field of paleontology is fairly young as well, but this did occur in the earlier years of this field. To condemn paleontologists who did not yet have a firm grasp of the subject which they were studying and making an error (which was corrected) seems rather petty.

KurtPh

Re: Re: A mere tick of the clock…geologically speaking.

Re: Re: A mere tick of the clock…geologically speaking.

Originally posted by Knight
LOL....

Lion, Kurt has a PhD in the minors! :D

Speaking of petty...:rolleyes:

Lion

King of the jungle
Super Moderator
rolling rolling rolling keep those heads a-rolling...

rolling rolling rolling keep those heads a-rolling...

Hey Kurt…I did a little research and you were wrong about the head… but no big deal.

Click here to go to page
Diplodocids
This group is one of the most famous of the Sauropods, usually under the incorrect name of Brontosaurs. "Brontosaurus" is a name that was given to a skeleton that turned out to be just another specimen of Apatosaurus. By the time it was realized the two were the same (back in 1903), the name "Brontosaurus" had become popular enough that it has stuck until today. Another separate problem that Apatosaurus suffered was haveing the wrong head put on its body. When found without a skull, one was given to it (even though the incorrect skull was found over 7 km's away!). The correct skull was found in the 1920's, but it sat on a shelf until the 1970's when this mistake was realized. Poor Apatosaurus!

As for it being wrong to condemn poor new-to-the-sciences-paleontologist… oh boo hoo!

What would they know; they probably think the Brontosaurus is a giraffe.

No, that's not fair of me... even they wouldn't be that stupid.

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by MrReality
Lion seems not to be aware of the fact that the first dinosaur was discovered less than 200 hundred years ago. Then again he also seems to think a hoofed mamilian looking creature is a dinosaur. Lion and Knight, other than the long neck what part of these creatures look like a brontosaurus to you?
Hmmmm what part of it looks like Brontosaur?

- The neck
- The big thick body
- The size of the legs
- The muscle and "stalkyness" of the legs
- The tail

Other than that nothing :D

Actually the ONLY thing that doesn't look like a brontosaur is the head.

What part of it looks like a giraffe? The neck?