ARCHIVE: God and the fire in Colorado

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Here on TOL there are a number of posters who believe that their deity sends trials and calamities (evil?) on the human race for various reasons.

On the other hand, there are some posters who would vehemently deny that view.

I'd like to read your opinion on the following questions:

1. Do you think that God is responsible for the fire consuming over one hundred thousand acres in Colorado? Explain your reasoning regarding why or why not.

2. Have you/your church prayed for the fire to stop?

3. Why do you think it hasn't?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hey, that fire is only a few miles from my house. In fact my wife's sister had to stay with us a few days "just in case".

God did not start the fire, some bonehead camper started the fire. Yes, I know many Christians think that God orchestrated the fire to show His glory in some unknown and mysterious way. That is a sick and perverted theology for many reason's but I will mention a few.

When God intervenes with man He let's man know He is doing so in a BIG way, He doesn't secretly temp a redneck camper to let the campers fire get out of hand. Second, God has never randomly sent wrath on innocent people for no apparent reason. He has targeted evil groups of people and sent His wrath or instructed His people to bring His wrath to them directly. Lastly, God intervened only when His ultimate plan of bringing Jesus as Savior was in some sort of jeopardy, since Jesus has already performed His saving work here on earth you will see no direct intervention from God until the rapture/tribulation.

missedmarks

Read Job, God is involved with this world, but he doesn't start forest fires to punish the wicked.

P.S. Knight is right, but I didn't want to make that the main part of my post :)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by missedmarks
Read Job, God is involved with this world, but he doesn't start forest fires to punish the wicked.

P.S. Knight is right, but I didn't want to make that the main part of my post :)
Missed, so do you think that everyone in the history of the world that has had tribulation in their life is explained with a "Job" type story? Or was "Job" a specific story about a specific man for a specific reason? It's an easy trap to fall into to take a single story and example in the Bible and attempt to transpose that story or lesson onto every situation. Furthermore, you might want to examine the story of Job and see just exactly what transpired and what God did and didn't do.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Knight
Hey, that fire is only a few miles from my house. In fact my wife's sister had to stay with us a few days "just in case".
I'm sorry for the inconvenience and problems the fire is causing your family, Knight. :(

Knight: God did not start the fire, some bonehead camper started the fire. Yes, I know many Christians think that God orchestrated the fire to show His glory in some unknown and mysterious way. That is a sick and perverted theology for many reason's but I will mention a few.

When God intervenes with man He let's man know He is doing so in a BIG way, He doesn't secretly temp a redneck camper to let the campers fire get out of hand.
I thought your deity was into fires big-time, what with the lake of fire and all. But as for starting earthly fires? How about a redneck farmer?
Samson said to them, "This time I have a right to get even with the Philistines; I will really harm them." So he went out and caught three hundred foxes and tied them tail to tail in pairs. He then fastened a torch to every pair of tails, lit the torches and let the foxes loose in the standing grain of the Philistines. He burned up the shocks and standing grain, together with the vineyards and olive groves. Judges 15:3-5 NIV

Knight: Second, God has never randomly sent wrath on innocent people for no apparent reason.
Hmm. So what is your explanation for newborns and perinatal infants dying of cancer?

Knight: He has targeted evil groups of people and sent His wrath or instructed His people to bring His wrath to them directly.
So you're saying that, under certain circimstances your God does countenance or even order slaughter everyone in a place, including the unborn. How would the unborn child of someone he dislikes be considered evil?

For example
...The Israelites carried off for themselves all the plunder and livestock of these cities, but all the people they put to the sword until they completely destroyed them, not sparing anyone that breathed... Joshua 11:14

...Then the Lord said to Joshua, "Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged...You shall do to Ai and its king as you did to Jericho and its king, except that you may carry off their plunder and livestock for yourselves. Set an ambush behind the city...When Israel had finished killing all the men of Ai in the fields and in the desert where they had chased them, and when every one of them had been put to the sword, all the Israelites returned to Ai and killed those who were in it. Twelve thousand men and women fell that day-all the people of Ai." Joshua 8:1-2, 24-25

Knight: Lastly, God intervened only when His ultimate plan of bringing Jesus as Savior was in some sort of jeopardy, since Jesus has already performed His saving work here on earth you will see no direct intervention from God until the rapture/tribulation.
Based on that, you don't believe in modern day occurences of "divine miracles" or the efficacy of prayers for financial success, health, happy marriages, etc? Wouldn't that count as "direct intervention from God"?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Zakath states...
I thought your deity was into fires big-time, what with the lake of fire and all. But as for starting earthly fires? How about a redneck farmer?
Please read my first response. I don't see any Philistines in the Colorado hills and God certainly isn't instructing campers to leave their fires unattended.

You continue...
Hmm. So what is your explanation for newborns and perinatal infants dying of cancer?
Due to sin, we live in a fallen world. Tragic things happen, cancer is one of those things. Entropy causes things to break down. There are far worse ways that children die i.e., raped and then murdered these are products of sin (either directly or indirectly) not ordained by God.

You continue
So you're saying that, under certain circimstances your God does countenance or even order slaughter everyone in a place, including the unborn. How would the unborn child of someone he dislikes be considered evil?
Because God's plan of sending Savior for the world is complete He no longer needs to intervene the way He did in the past (as I already have stated). But to comment on the point anyway... a just war always has collateral damage it's inevitable, tragic but inevitable.

You continue...
Based on that, you don't believe in modern day occurences of "divine miracles" or the efficacy of prayers for financial success, health, happy marriages, etc? Wouldn't that count as "direct intervention from God"?
Correct. I do not believe that God is performing physical miracles anymore. God performed physical miracles for specific reasons like to let the people know that the Jesus was the Messiah or to protect His plan and people like He did many times in the Old Testament etc.

God does however give His people love, comfort, wisdom etc. none of which is a physical miracle but can be just as powerful or even more powerful depending on the situation.

Freak

Knight says:

I do not believe that God is performing physical miracles anymore.

Why do you believe this, just curious?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Please read my first response. I don't see any Philistines in the Colorado hills and God certainly isn't instructing campers to leave their fires unattended.
What's in a name? I've listened to many a sermon in which a Philistine is nothing more than a nickname for anyone who opposed the deity.

Philistines come in many different wrappers. According to the dictionary, a philistine is merely "a smug, ignorant, especially middle-class person who is regarded as being indifferent or antagonistic to artistic and cultural values. ";)

Due to sin, we live in a fallen world. Tragic things happen, cancer is one of those things.
Are you using the term "world" in a planetary sense or a universal one? Do you believe in the Christian doctrine termed "original sin"? Whose sin do you believe brought cancer into the world?

Entropy causes things to break down.
Do you think that your creator designed entropy into this world, or do you believe it is a function of sin?

There are far worse ways that children die i.e., raped and then murdered these are products of sin (either directly or indirectly) not ordained by God.
Why are you so fixated on sexual deviance? You seem to bring up rape or homosexuality in a great many threads... :confused:

Because God's plan of sending Savior for the world is complete He no longer needs to intervene the way He did in the past (as I already have stated). But to comment on the point anyway... a just war always has collateral damage it's inevitable, tragic but inevitable.
I find it sad that you will condemn the death of the innocent in abortion, yet reframe the slaughter of innocents by religionists to "collateral damage". :(

Correct. I do not believe that God is performing physical miracles anymore. God performed physical miracles for specific reasons like to let the people know that the Jesus was the Messiah or to protect His plan and people like He did many times in the Old Testament etc.
According to your scriptures he did so for almost 5000 years, including quite a while after the death of Jesus of Nazareth. When do you think he stopped and why? Upon what do you base this belief?

God does however give His people love, comfort, wisdom etc. none of which is a physical miracle but can be just as powerful or even more powerful depending on the situation.
So the deity can play with neurotransmitters, but not regrow organs or limbs, provide finances or food when believers pray? That's kind of a limited view, don't you think?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Zakath writes...
Are you using the term "world" in a planetary sense or a universal one? Do you believe in the Christian doctrine termed "original sin"? Whose sin do you believe brought cancer into the world?
With Adam's sin death became a part of the world.

You continue...
Do you think that your creator designed entropy into this world, or do you believe it is a function of sin?
Entropy is NOT a function of sin as I believe that a pile of sticks left to themselves even before the original sin would still become disorganized. However, by adding death to the equation entropy acts on our cells, dna etc. and things such as cancer develop.

You continue...
Why are you so fixated on sexual deviance? You seem to bring up rape or homosexuality in a great many threads.
Only with you because I know you do not find such things as wrong.

You continue...
I find it sad that you will condemn the death of the innocent in abortion, yet reframe the slaughter of innocents by religionists to "collateral damage".
Collateral damage happens in EVERY war regardless if the war is religious or not. It's a plain and simple unavoidable fact.

You continue...
According to your scriptures he did so for almost 5000 years, including quite a while after the death of Jesus of Nazareth. When do you think he stopped and why? Upon what do you base this belief?
I have already answered this question but I will do so again. God used physical miracles to keep His plan of sending a Savior to the world from being thwarted, He used miracles as "signs" and He used miracles as evidence that Jesus was the Messiah and that His disciples were for real. He no longer does physical miracles because currently there are no reason for physical miracles and God knows that most miracles turned people away from Him. Since He desires that men choose Him why would He want to do something that turns the majority away? Generally, in the Bible miracles left men not wanting God but wanting a subsequent miracle.

You continue...
So the deity can play with neurotransmitters, but not regrow organs or limbs, provide finances or food when believers pray? That's kind of a limited view, don't you think?
The Deity can DO anything He wants (within the boundaries of His reality). But what He wants is for men to choose Him on their own free-will. He does not want men to choose Him because there is no other option. Furthermore, by providing wisdom man could gain finances or food if they used their wisdom "wisely". :D

C

cirisme

Hey, zakath, why didn't you bring up the verse where God orders Isarael, to kill all men, women and children?

Oh that's right, because I have a very good defense for that. :D

Goose

God spoke to me and said, "Goose, Behold, for this summer I will cause a great dryness in the west and will smite My people with fire. For they have done that which is meet for destruction by baptism of fire."

NOT!
1 Kings 19:12 "...and after the earthquake a fire; [but] the LORD [was] not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice."

P

Pilgrimagain

Perhaps the more important question for the Christian is who will we be in the midst of such tragedies and how will we respond?

Sometimes I'd like to ask God why he lets such things happen, but I'm afraid he'd ask me the same question.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by cirisme
Hey, zakath, why didn't you bring up the verse where God orders Isarael, to kill all men, women and children?

Oh that's right, because I have a very good defense for that. :D

Do you believe that YHWH spoke through the OT prophets and war leaders, including Moses, Joshua and Samuel?

Let me know your answer, think about it really hard if you need to.

I'll share some interesting insights about the type of deity the Jews and Christians claim to serve, using the Christian Bible as a reference...

But not until Monday. :)

NOTE:
I'll be away until Monday, crusin' the Chesapeake crewing the final voyage of the Wake Up call. Give us a call on the marine band if you're in the area...

'Till Monday, then...

"Come Monday, it'll be alright.
Come Monday, I'll be holdin' you tight.
I spent four lonely days in a brown LA haze; and I just want you back by my side..."
J.B. - Chief musician of COBO (Church of Buffet, Orthodox)

C

cirisme

Do you believe that YHWH spoke through the OT prophets and war leaders, including Moses, Joshua and Samuel?

Hey, not until you anser my question...

Oh wait, that was rhetorical... I think. :eek:

To answer your question, yes. And trust me about "proving"God is some blood thirsty nut, I've studied this alot and became a Christian because of it.

Muhahahahaha.......(evil laugh :D)

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by cirisme

To answer your question, yes.
Thanks for your reply, cirisme. Perhaps now you can answer another question for us...

Do you think that the OT prophets, specifically Moses and Samuel, were actually speaking for YHWH and accurately communicating his desire and intent when they issued a "thus saith the Lord" type statement?

And trust me about "proving"God is some blood thirsty nut, I've studied this alot and became a Christian because of it.
Proving? I didn't say anything about "proving".How can one "prove" anything about the character of a fictional being? ;)

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Knight posted...
...When God intervenes with man He let's man know He is doing so in a BIG way, He doesn't secretly temp a redneck camper to let the campers fire get out of hand.

Actually, it turns out it wasn't a "redneck camper" but a Park Service employee burning a letter from her estranged husband. See link for article.

Maybe your deity is using her broken heart to symbolize his own... sounds a bit like some of silly things the OT prophets used to do.... You know; running around naked, marrying prostitutes, and chucking pottery around...

Life certainly is odd...

Gerald

Resident Fiend
The Deity can DO anything He wants (within the boundaries of His reality). But what He wants is for men to choose Him on their own free-will. He does not want men to choose Him because there is no other option.

I suppose that, on a human level, that sentiment is analagous to this question:

Which would you prefer? That another person do what you want because he genuinely wants to, or because you'll subject him to a world of hurt if he doesn't?

For me, there is no difference. If the person does what I want, for whatever reason, the result is the same.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Zakath: Are you using the term "world" in a planetary sense or a universal one? Do you believe in the Christian doctrine termed "original sin"? Whose sin do you believe brought cancer into the world?

Knight: With Adam's sin death became a part of the world.
You missed the first two questions, Knight...

Entropy is NOT a function of sin as I believe that a pile of sticks left to themselves even before the original sin would still become disorganized. However, by adding death to the equation entropy acts on our cells, dna etc. and things such as cancer develop.
Current thinking (last 20 years or so) is that cancer is due to changes in the genetic material of somatic cells caused by injury or viruses. This tends to rule out entropy as a cause of diseases like cancers. Besides, since you appear to view entropy as a function of time (your comment "left to themselves"), babies wouldn't have had sufficient time for entropy to damage their cells.

Zakath questioned Knight about why he continues to focus on sexual deviance.
Knight: Only with you because I know you do not find such things as wrong.
This is a gross misrepresentation of my position. You are, in essence, lying by omission. Hardly very "Christian" behavior, Knight.

Zakath: I find it sad that you will condemn the death of the innocent in abortion, yet reframe the slaughter of innocents by religionists to "collateral damage".

Knight: Collateral damage happens in EVERY war regardless if the war is religious or not. It's a plain and simple unavoidable fact.
You are engaging in a fine example of "doublespeak" Knight. You accuse an opponent of an action you consider evil in emotionlly charged rhetoric and when the tables are turned you try to divert the issue by using propaganda terminology from military psyops. :rolleyes:

Why not stop tap dancing and admit the facts, Knight. You and your religion supports and approves of the butchery of babies as certainly as those you call abortionists. Calling that butchery by military terminology does not change the facts.

...God used physical miracles to keep His plan of sending a Savior to the world from being thwarted, He used miracles as "signs" and He used miracles as evidence that Jesus was the Messiah and that His disciples were for real. He no longer does physical miracles because currently there are no reason for physical miracles...
But doesn't you're deity have disciples today? When did he stop having to prove they were real? 33AD? 70AD? 120AD? 324AD?

... God knows that most miracles turned people away from Him.Since He desires that men choose Him why would He want to do something that turns the majority away? Generally, in the Bible miracles left men not wanting God but wanting a subsequent miracle.
Wanting a subsequent miracle is hardly the same thing as rejecting someone based on a miracle. Repeatability is one of the foundations of the scientific method. If something is not repeatable, it is difficult, if not impossible, to assess it scientifically.

The Deity can DO anything He wants (within the boundaries of His reality).
That's quite a vague limiting statement. What types of boundaries does a deity have? Don't you believe the Christian deity is "omni" in several different areas?

But what He wants is for men to choose Him on their own free-will. He does not want men to choose Him because there is no other option.
If that is true, then why all the "bully boy" tactics over the centuries?
  • Man doesn't love YHWH enough, so the entire human race is condemned.
    Man doesn't love YHWH enough, so he sends a flood to wipe out man woman and child.
    Man doesn't love YHWH enough so he sends fire and brimstone on Sodom and Gomorrah.
    Man doesn't love YHWH enough so the Romans sack Jerusalem in 70 AD and destroy Solomon's Temple.
The Bible is replete with YHWH's heavy-handed, "obey me or I'll destroy you" attitude.

You describe the situation as if there were another option. If your deity is really "God", then it seems that the only two options are obedience or oblivion.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Zakath, no offense but you and I do not seem to communicate very well. I will count it as my fault. I say something and you take the exact opposite way, you say something and I probably take it the exact opposite way. Why is this so? I don't know! But, I do not have enough time or desire to correct all the miscommunications between the two of us.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Zakath, no offense but you and I do not seem to communicate very well.
A valid observation, no offense taken.

I will count it as my fault.
If you insist. ;)

I say something and you take the exact opposite way, you say something and I probably take it the exact opposite way. Why is this so? I don't know!
I have a good idea why and will tell you if you wish.

But, I do not have enough time or desire to correct all the miscommunications between the two of us.
I was just getting warmed up, but withdrawing from the field is your decision, Knight.

Have a nice day.