ARCHIVE: God and the fire in Colorado

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Zakath
Have you made plans to move the wife and kids if the situation arises???
Well, we are so far from the fire I do not think that evacuating will be necessary. It's just the smoke and ash that is a little bothersome.

I just went outside to take a picture and show you but you really can't tell much by taking photo's.

C

cirisme

I think you're being to narrow in your use of the word. You've probably read the Christian scriptures where believers are told to present themselves as "living sacrifices".

Yes, meaning you love the Lord more than yourself...

Jews and Christians both provide "sacrifice of praise" with their words. Why don't you think that obeying a divine order to utterly destroy something or someone could be classifiable as a sacrifice?

Perhaps because of the context of the verse.

Samuel said to Saul, "I am the one the Lord sent to anoint you king over his people Israel; so listen now to the message from the Lord . This is what the Lord Almighty says: 'I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. 3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.' " - I Samuel 15:1-3

The context indicates that we should use the definition "under the ban" for this word rather than sacrifice. You simply can't ignore the context...

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by Zakath

Impressive clouds, I've been close to several forest fires and seem to recall woodsmoke was darker ... :confused:
Hmmmm.... most wood fires have a very white looking smoke if ya think about it. Furthermore, this smoke is miles away and the sun is hitting the smoke pretty hard.

The big difference between the smoke plume and a cloud is that the smoke plume changes dramatically in a matter of minutes while a regular cloud can look very stationary for a long time.

Last edited:
C

cirisme

Impressive clouds, I've been close to several forest fires and seem to recall woodsmoke was darker ... :confused:

Zakath, you have to remember that we haven't had much moisture here in CO.(about 2% of normal, several cities are considering water rations) Without all the green stuff, there isn't as much to produce smoke.

Prisca

Pain Killer
Super Moderator
Zakath

Zakath

I'm reposting the following from the other thread. I didn't see this thread until I did some searching for where you had doubted Knight's credibility.

I said, "I live about five miles closer to the fire than Knight, so I can certainly vouch for him. The smoke plume is amazing. It has even been the cause of thunderstorms to the east of the fire. The air in my neighborhood has sometimes had a “foggy” appearance and a strong, smoky smell. When I first saw the plume, I thought it was a thunderhead, but as the sunlight began to glow with an eerie orange color, there was no mistaking that this was smoke.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Actually Becky Zakath is right about me. I have this strange personality disorder in which I am compelled to take photographic images of thunderstorm clouds and show them to people and attempt to fool them into thinking they are smoke plumes from forest fires. I have been exposed, what can I say? How can I ever redeem myself?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
In my professional opinion, your recent actions sound more like mild paranoia, than what you described.

I merely made a comment and asked a question about a photograph. I never actually stated that the original photo you posted wasn't smoke. You've apparently never run across the term "cloud of smoke"?

"The men of Israel had arranged with the ambush that they should send up a great cloud of smoke from the city..."Judges 20:38

"Then the Lord will create over all of Mount Zion and over those who assemble there a cloud of smoke by day and a glow of flaming fire by night; over all the glory will be a canopy." Is. 4:5

Why are you acting so sensitive, Knight?

Last edited:
C

cirisme

1. Do you think that God is responsible for the fire consuming over one hundred thousand acres in Colorado? Explain your reasoning regarding why or why not.

No. A forest service woman burned a love letter. :)

Zakath

Resident Atheist
So, in your opinion, a human action can remove the deity from the chain of resonsibility?

EHHarrington

BANNED
Banned
Apperantly human sin takes precedence over divine interaction. Just think, if she had been a true Christian and not divorced her husband none of this would have happened. Too bad God isn't powerful enough to step in though and prevent massive property damage and the deaths of the four firemen.

C

cirisme

What responsibility, zakath? This is entirely man's doing, and it is entirely man's responsibility.

EHHarrington

BANNED
Banned
So if your children started a fire that was going to burn down the house and kill more of your children would you say, "It's entirely the children's responsibility. I don't need to step in." Or would you intervene and show you have more compassion than your god?

C

cirisme

Think of it this way, with a fire over 100,000 acres and only four people dead, how is it God didn't intervene?

EHHarrington

BANNED
Banned
No single person was in direct danger of dying and yet four people died. Nice cop out for your god though. BTW, I'm really glad you're not my father. Please tell me you don't have children.