ARCHIVE: Z Man asks... "what about grace?"

drbrumley

Jesus affirmed the Mosaic Law even to the keeping of the "least of these commandments" (Mat. 5:17-19). He blasted the Pharisees for giving their own ideas precedence over God's commands:

"Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition? For God commanded, saying... `He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.' But you say..." Mat. 15:3-4
"For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men..." [Jesus] said to them, "All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition. For Moses said, 'Honor your father and your mother; and 'He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.' But you say..." Mark 7:8-11
Jesus reaffirmed the capital statutes of God's law. Not only the murderer (Rev. 13:10; 1 Tim. 1:8-9; Rom. 13:4), but even the one who curses a parent must be put to death (Ex. 21:17 and Lev. 20:9) just as God commanded. God's commands to execute the one who strikes or curses a parent are the death penalty statutes that liberal Christians are the most embarrassed over. However, Christ was not at all embarrassed over His Fathers commands. Jesus repeated these commands without caveat or reservation.

Z Man

drbrumley said:
God's commands to execute the one who strikes or curses a parent are the death penalty statutes that liberal Christians are the most embarrassed over. However, Christ was not at all embarrassed over His Fathers commands. Jesus repeated these commands without caveat or reservation.
Do you believe the law that condemns children to death for disobeying thier parents should be enforced? If yes, why aren't you dead, or your children (assuming you have some) dead? Or did you never disobey your parents? Also, to what degree of stubberness is warranting of death? What would be used to measure it?

So many questions and problems arise out of enforcing just one of God's perfect laws. Now, imagine enforcing every single law written in detail in Leviticus and Deuteronomy and elsewhere. I'm sure you'd come across one where you would realize you are guilty and thus should be killed. That was God's point in creating the law; to show us that we are sinners - unholy in comparison to God.

WE NEED A SAVIOR! And not only us, but so do homosexuals...

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Z Man said:
So you believe homosexuality is a crime, and the punishment for those guilty should be death? Knight quoted a verse from Lev. to support the idea that homosexuality is a crime and punishable by death. But I showed him a law in Deut. that said disobeying your parents was also a crime punishable by death.

Therefore, according to you and Knight's logic, disobeying your parents should be a crime and stubborn children should be put to death. Agree or disagree? If you disagree, explain how it is different from the law against homosexuality.
I disagree. I will explain if our conversation proceeds to a point where such an explanation is warranted but not before. Not because I'm in the mood to be stuborn but simply because it is premature and going on what I've seen so far in this thread it would likely be a waste of time to explain it at this point.

I'm sorry. I forgot you knew everything... :rolleyes:
Don't be a jerk Z Man. I wasn't even convinced until this evening that you weren't playing some sort of game with this. If you want to discuss this issue with me then you are going to have to do so in an intellectually honest manner. I wasn't attempting to be insulting. I'm simply stating the fact that I'm at a loss as to how to approach this with you because you seem IGNORANT of the basic principles involved. I didn't say you were stupid but ignorant, there's a difference.

I'm not a lawyer or a judge, so I can't make such conclusions. It's not my job to decide what crimes warrant what punishments. I have my own personal opinions, but I don't think they matter much in a diverse society such as ours, where everyone's liberty is promoted even when there are times I wish some peoples' liberties weren't.
I am not asking you for a commentary on the veracity or efficacy of the American legal system. I'm asking you a Biblical question.

Is it Biblical for the government punish criminals today?

If so, which crimes should be punished and why?

There are two distinctions here as well. There is man's law, and there is God's law. God's law and standards are based upon perfection and holiness, one which no man can follow or attain. We all fall short...

Man's law, however, is a much lower standard. There are people in this world who can manage to live their whole lives in compliance with man's law. They can avoid jail and being guilty of committing crimes their whole lives. This gives them the false assumption that they are 'good' people. But, according to God's law/standard, we're all guilty.
Do you believe that "man's law" as you call it, should be in total agreement with God's law?

If not, why not?

Also, are you a legal positivist? That is, do you believe that something is only a crime if it is against the law (i.e. man's law)? Or asked another way, does God's law define what is and is not a genuine crime?

If not, why not?

The Jews received the law from God and did their best to follow it, but it only proved to them, and to the whole world, that we can only fall short of the glory of God.
While I agree that they would have failed in any case, I believe it to be a gross overstatement to say that they "did their best to follow" the Law. The Jews, on the whole, hated God and took seemingly every opportunity to pervert justice.

We need a Savior. The law defined all sorts of crimes, such as eating shellfish, disobeying your parents, and even committing homosexual acts. Some crimes called for death; others were less severe. Now, according to you and Knight, homosexuals are criminals and should be put to death because the Bible says so. Thus, in the same sense, you MUST also believe that disobedient children should be killed as well.
This is not so Z Man. It is a bit more complex than that and I think you know that. In short, I don't believe that a man should be executed for disobeying his parents for basically the same reason I don't believe that people should be executed for working on the Sabbath. That's all I intend to say on that specific issue for now though. As I said, a discussion on that would be extremely premature at this point.

Again, God's law only proves that we are not perfect. If we were to enforce God's law to the t, then we would all be making sacrifices to Him daily at the temple - most of us would be stoned.
No Z Man, we wouldn't. There is a complete criminal justice system taught within the pages of the Bible. It yields justice and prosperity to the people who live under it. This argument is based on an almost total ignorance of several key issues, not the least of which is how to rightly divide the Word of Truth, but that too is light years away from where we are in this discussion. Jumping that far ahead would be like my wife beginning my daughter's second grade school lessons next fall with the Pythagorean Theorem. That's not to say that your that your at a second grade level or anything insulting at all but only to say that we have to take things one step at a time.

You can't just pick and choose which 'crimes' from God's law you would like to enforce, such as homosexuality, and which ones you choose to ignore, like eating shellfish, or stoning to death disobedient children.
Now this much you've got right! You know as well as anyone that saying it doesn't make it so. That goes for me as much as it goes for anyone else. My opinion is meaningless as is yours. What matters is what can be established by Scripture and by sound reason and that only. We do not get to pick and choose at all. All matters of belief and practice, including criminal justice, are to be strictly Biblical, wouldn't you agree?

If so, then please answer the questions I have asked.

Resting in Him,
Clete

On Fire

The Glory of the New Covenant
Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, fading though it was, will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? If the ministry that condemns men is glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. And if what was fading away came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts!

Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold. We are not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face to keep the Israelites from gazing at it while the radiance was fading away. But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away. Even to this day when Moses is read, a veil covers their hearts. But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
On Fire said:
Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, fading though it was, will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? If the ministry that condemns men is glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. And if what was fading away came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts!

Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold. We are not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face to keep the Israelites from gazing at it while the radiance was fading away. But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away. Even to this day when Moses is read, a veil covers their hearts. But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

On Fire,

I'll ask you to answer the same questions I've asked Z Man....

Resting in Him,
Clete

On Fire

Clete said:
On Fire,

I'll ask you to answer the same questions I've asked Z Man....

Resting in Him,
Clete
Is it Biblical for the government punish criminals today? Sure. Jesus said "Give unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's, and unto God what is God's". We are to submit to the laws of our land. Most of the laws we live under are man-made laws. But no court of law can convict me of SIN.

drbrumley

On Fire said:
Is it Biblical for the government punish criminals today? Sure. Jesus said "Give unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's, and unto God what is God's". We are to submit to the laws of our land. Most of the laws we live under are man-made laws. But no court of law can convict me of SIN.
So stealing is not a sin? Or murder?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
On Fire said:
You only answered the first part, what about the second?

Which crimes should be punished and why? I'm not looking for a complete list or anything but just in general how do you suppose the government is to determine what the laws should be concerning criminal justice?

Resting in Him,
Clete

On Fire

We elect people whose job it is to make laws to protect us. We have such laws. We have crimes and we have punishments.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
deardelmar said:
Zman do you agree that the government should punish both murderers and thieves? If so do you believe the punishment for theft should be the same as the punishment for murder?
Z Man said:
What does this have to do with the sin of homosexuality?
Not a thing! It has to do with the crime of homosexuality!

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
On Fire said:
We elect people whose job it is to make laws to protect us. We have such laws. We have crimes and we have punishments.
People making laws instead of discovering God's laws for us, is the problem.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
On Fire said:
As I told Z Man, I'm not asking for a commentary on the American legal justice system. The questions I'm asking have to do with what is Biblical. There is obviously no dispute that America has laws and a system by which those laws are created and enforced but that has nothing to do with whether or not any particular law SHOULD be on the books or not. What I'm asking is whether or not you think it is morally right for a government to punish crimes or not and if so how SHOULD we determine which crimes should be punished and in what manner?

Resting in Him,
Clete

On Fire

With all due respect, you are the one who claims to know the truth. I am merely seeking the truth.

How does this play into your view?:

Morpheus

Shimei said:
So when God kills someone, it is ok, agreed?

How about if God appointed someone (such as the government) to kill someone (such as a murderer)? Is that ok for God to do? Yes or no?
That is what God has done. My question to you is, "If the government established by God does not deem homosexuality a crime punishable by death, and you disagree, then where does God give you the authority to overrule the agent of his judgement?

Morpheus

Knight said:
Because I have not committed any capital crimes. :duh:

God says homosexuality is a capital crime.

I have not committed the crime of homosexuality, have you?

Furthermore....
We don't "murder" capital criminals. :hammer: Instead... we kill them. There is a difference.
Then you are willing to accept the punishment for all of the sins you have commited as prescribed by Mosaic law?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
On Fire said:
With all due respect, you are the one who claims to know the truth. I am merely seeking the truth.

How does this play into your view?:

It would have been great if you had asked the question the first time you quoted the passage instead of making us guess what your intent was. I was forced to assume that you had posted it in defense of Z Man's position and I responded accordingly. Was I wrong in my assumption or what?

To answer your question, the passage you've quoted has nothing to do with whether or not a criminal should be punished for his crimes. You can be saved and still commit a crime which must be punished for the sake of society for the law is the great teacher which leads men to Christ. You understand that the circumstances of your physical death has nothing to do with where you will spend eternity, right?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Z Man said:
Of course.

Yes, its ok for God to do that. Again, God can do whatever He pleases - He's never wrong.

However, this question assumes many things and opens up a can of worms. Would you allow me to kill your son if I approached you and said God appointed me to do it?

God would never do such a thing as it goes against His character.

Do you believe God has appointed the government to punish those who commit a capital crime? Yes or no.

Last edited:

On Fire

Clete said:
It would have been great if you had asked the question the first time you quoted the passage instead of making us guess what your intent was. I was forced to assume that you had posted it in defense of Z Man's position and I responded accordingly. Was I wrong in my assumption or what?

My intent is not to decieve and yes I did post in defense of Z Man's position.

Clete said:
To answer your question, the passage you've quoted has nothing to do with whether or not a criminal should be punished for his crimes. You can be saved and still commit a crime which must be punished for the sake of society for the law is the great teacher which leads men to Christ.

So why did God send Jesus? Why did Jesus let the prostitute go free?

Clete said:
You understand that the circumstances of your physical death has nothing to do with where you will spend eternity, right?

Yes! Praise God.

Morpheus

I have seen a lot of contradiction within certain arguments here. Many have stated that government punishes us for crimes but not for sin. Then when the reply addresses that point then the same people who say that government punishes us for crime but not for sin turn their argument around and state that the sin of homosexuality should be a crime thereby expressing their desire for the government to punish some people for their sin. Those same people would then argue that they should not be punished for their own sins, even by God, because of grace. How much more can the word of God be twisted?

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
One thing that should be noted:

When talking about GRACE, we are talking about matters of salvation and eternity (the life after this life.)

When talking about crimes and punishment we are NOT talking about salvation AND it only pertains to this life, not the afterlife.