• Paul DeYonghe

Votes: 35 89.7%
  • famousGandalf7

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rapt

All the big heads give themselves a prophet's licence! They're stoned on their their own self-esteem, if not ganja too.

The devil spews his temptation in the name of God, and snares the proud with the flattering lie that touts:

"Get your free prophet's licence here! No experience necessary: just have faith in you faith". Gain immediate respect and honor of men with no more investment than to say "Im a prophet!"

Last edited:
D

Dee Dee Warren

The "system" will not let me vote. Will a moderator please cast my vote for Paul??

Y

Yxboom

It is because you are in my head and when you try to vote the computer reads my ip address and considers it a double vote!

C'mon Dee Dee.

D

Dee Dee Warren

Drat!!! And I thought it was Knight trying to give me a hint (though I think he likes me now that I am talking trash to the unnamed person who earned his third trip to my ignore list).

me again

Posted by Sheepdog
Are you suggesting we lynch fG7?
Didn't the heretics (aka Crusaders) already try that when they slaughtered everything in their path as they marched to Zion several hundred years ago?

Sozo

Originally posted by me again
Didn't the heretics (aka Crusaders) already try that when they slaughtered everything in their path as they marched to Zion several hundred years ago?

I misunderstood, I thought you said we should rope a dope

me again

Posted by Sheepdog
I misunderstood, I thought you said we should rope a dope
No.

The "rope a dope" technique was invented by Mohamid Ali. He didn't do much punching. He protected his face and allowed his opponent to "punch away" at his hardened mid-section while Ali was back into the ropes. Ali kept bouncing off the ropes as his midsection was pummled. This went on for several rounds until Ali's opponent was exhausted, at which time Ali proceeded to beat the stuffing out of him.

Ali won that World Championship. :up:

Sozo

Originally posted by me again
No.

The "rope a dope" technique was invented by Mohamid Ali. He didn't do much punching. He protected his face and allowed his opponent to "punch away" at his hardened mid-section while Ali was back into the ropes. Ali kept bouncing off the ropes as his midsection was pummled. This went on for several rounds until Ali's opponent was exhausted, at which time Ali proceeded to beat the stuffing out of him.

Ali won that World Championship. :up:

Never mind :doh:

Huldrych

Er, has it really ceased?

Er, has it really ceased?

Are some of us ranting over prophets because of our dislike over certain persons, or because some of us have a hard time believing that prophets could be alive and well today?

The office is scriptural, after all, even in the New Testament.

Just a thought, everyone.

jth

Sozo

Re: Er, has it really ceased?

Re: Er, has it really ceased?

Originally posted by Huldrych
Are some of us ranting over prophets because of our dislike over certain persons, or because some of us have a hard time believing that prophets could be alive and well today?

The office is scriptural, after all, even in the New Testament.

Just a thought, everyone.

jth

Really? Where?

I do know that the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Aimiel

Maybe you should read fewer comic books, and find your Bible once in a while.

Revelation 19:10
And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Sozo

Re: Maybe you should read fewer comic books, and find your Bible once in a while.

Re: Maybe you should read fewer comic books, and find your Bible once in a while.

Originally posted by famousGandalf7
Revelation 19:10
And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

What is your point?

Why did you provide the same passage as I?

Huldrych

Re: Re: Er, has it really ceased?

Re: Re: Er, has it really ceased?

Originally posted by Sheepdog

Really? Where?

I do know that the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Here are some scriptures from the Epistles:

1. Cor 12:28-29 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers?

Eph 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

Eph 3:4-5 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ) Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

Eph 4:11-12 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

And some examples from early Church history:

Acts 11:27-28 And in these days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch. And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar.

Acts 13:1 Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.

Acts 15:32 And Judas and Silas, being prophets also themselves, exhorted the brethren with many words, and confirmed them.

Acts 21:10-11 And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus. And when he was come unto us, he took Paul’s girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.

Then there are all the New Testament scriptures that refer to prophesying, if you want to include those.

jth

rapt

The test of a prophet

The test of a prophet

The same test found in the OT still applies now:

"To the law (James 1:25: the perfect law of liberty) and to the testimony (Rev 10: the testimony of Jesus), if they speak not according to this Word, it is because there is no light in them"
Is 8:20

It's a good thing for those who only CLAIM to be prophets that the judgment of God upon false prophets isn't now in effect:

Deuteronomy 13
1 If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder,

2 And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them;

3 Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

4 Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.

5 And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken to turn you away from the LORD your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, to thrust thee out of the way which the LORD thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put the evil away from the midst of thee.

(We are no longer instructed to put them to death, but we ARE instructed to recognize them and disfellowship them: )

2Cor 11:3
But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.

14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

Romans 16
17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

1 Timothy 6
3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;

4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,

5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, $uppo$ing that gain i$ godline$$: from such withdraw thyself.

Acts 20
29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.

30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

Matt 24:4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.

(Many HAVE come in the name of Jesus, saying that Jesus is the Christ, and by twisting His and the Apostle's doctrine, HAVE deceived many)

11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.

24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Revelation 2
20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.

22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.

23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

(If we are deceived by false prophets, we will suffer God's judgment for it.)

Revelation 18
4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

5 For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.

Jer 14:13 Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, the prophets say unto them, Ye shall not see the sword, neither shall ye have famine; but I will give you assured peace in this place.

(The false prophets taught OSAS/eternal security to the rebelious house of Israel!)

14 Then the LORD said unto me, The prophets prophesy lies in my name: I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spake unto them: they prophesy unto you a false vision and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their heart.

15 Therefore thus saith the LORD concerning the prophets that prophesy in my name, and I sent them not, yet they say, Sword and famine shall not be in this land; By sword and famine shall those prophets be consumed.

16 And the people to whom they prophesy shall be cast out
in the streets of Jerusalem because of the famine and the sword; and they shall have none to bury them, them, their wives, nor their sons, nor their daughters: for I will pour their wickedness upon them.

Jer 23:9 Mine heart within me is broken because of the prophets...

10 ...their course is evil, and their force is not right.

11 For both prophet and priest are profane; yea, in my house have I found their wickedness, saith the LORD.

12 Wherefore their way shall be unto them as slippery ways in the darkness: they shall be driven on, and fall therein: for I will bring evil upon them, even the year of their visitation, saith the LORD.

13 And I have seen folly in the prophets of Samaria; they prophesied in Baal, and caused my people Israel to err.

14 I have seen also in the prophets of Jerusalem an horrible thing: they commit adultery, and walk in lies: they strengthen also the hands of evildoers, that none doth return from his wickedness; they are all of them unto me as Sodom, and the inhabitants thereof as Gomorrah.

15 Therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts concerning the prophets; Behold, I will feed them with wormwood, and make them drink the water of gall: for from the prophets of Jerusalem is profaneness gone forth into all the land.

16 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, Hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophesy unto you: they make you vain: they speak a vision of their own heart, and not out of the mouth of the LORD.

17 They say still unto them that despise me, The LORD hath said, Ye shall have peace; and they say unto every one that walketh after the imagination of his own heart, No evil shall come upon you.

(They taught OSAS)

21 I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied.

25 I have heard what the prophets said, that prophesy lies in my name, saying, I have dreamed, I have dreamed.

26 How long shall this be in the heart of the prophets that prophesy lies? yea, they are prophets of the deceit of their own heart

27 Which think to cause my people to forget my name...

(His name is called "the WORD of God" Rev 19:13. False prophets want people to forget God's Word and embrace THEIR word as if it is from God)

Just as the false prophets of old did, so do the modern false prophets. This is not about whether prophecy is still being made; it's about the fact that anyone calling themself a prophet must be tested by God's Word. Their words MUST line up with scripture, or else they are FALSE PROPHETS, and must be manifested and avoided.

1 John 4
1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

2 Peter 2
1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.

3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you
: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

Jude 3 ...ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

If anyone claims to speak for God, calling themself his minister, teacher, prophet, or whatever, yet he/she adds to or takes from His Word, they are liars that must be disfellowshipped:
Proverbs 30:6
Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

Deuteronomy 4:2
Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Deuteronomy 12:32
What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.

Revelation 22
18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

(No OSAS!)

Matthew 15
1 Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying,

2 Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.

3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

4 For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.

5 But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me;

6 And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.

7 Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,

8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Christ Jesus called them HYPOCRITS who added to and took away from God's Word. He said that they worshipped God IN VAIN because they rejected God's doctrine, and taught in it's place the doctrine of men.

So do the Word of Faith teachers. They are FALSE PROPHETS/TEACHERS who must be reproved and avoided. If one embraces the false doctrines of these false prophets, they worship God in vain, and will suffer the punishment God warned would befall those who embrace the doctrines of Balaam, of the Nicolaitans, and of Jezebel in Rev 2. He says he will kill her "children" (followers) with death, for he will reward every one of us according to our works. If we are given any truth to be faithful with, and fail to be so, it will be taken from us, and we will go into darkness with the false teachers. Jesus said that if the salt loses it's savour, it is then good for nothing but to be cast out and trodden under the foot (doctrine) of men.

Jeremiah 5:31
The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests bear rule by their means; and my people love to have it so: and what will ye do in the end thereof?

Last edited:

bill betzler

Heb:
1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Think of it from a different perspective, i.e., Heb. 1:2. God has spoken to us by Jesus.

The NT is about Jesus: What he did and said and will do. What do we need to hear or know that Jesus hasn't already told us or showed us? Does anyone here think we lack for information?

What can a prophet say that isn't already in the scriptures? If a person stands up and says they are a prophet, the two ways that we can judge that person is like Bereans or to observe whether or not the prophesy comes true.

I predict that every knee shall bow to Jesus. It isn't original, but on the other hand it hasn't come to pass yet. If I tell someone that they will die in their sins if they do not repent, do I not prophesy? Also, isn't this the testimony of Jesus?

Are we not already kings and priests? We can also prophesy.

But, let us be careful with our words. Our words are either true or false. There is no inbetween.

Last edited:

Sozo

Originally posted by bill betzler

I predict that every knee shall bow to Jesus. It isn't original, but on the other hand it hasn't come to pass yet. If I tell someone that they will die in their sins if they do not repent, do I not prophesy? Also, isn't this the testimony of Jesus?

Under this (correct) interpretation of prophesying, we would all be prophets, and there would be no office.

Brother Vinny

Who in their right mind voted that famousGandalf7 is winning the Battle Royale?!?

Oh, wait a minute. :doh:

Someone's been displaying faith in his faith, hasn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.