Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Scrimshaw
I am not at all familiar with Enyart so I'll take your word for it. Hopefully he can give some decent enough arguments to make this a worthwhile debate. As an agnostic theist, I will be looking on with interest.

I'll try to keep things entertaining as well as rational. We'll see how it turns out... :D

Brother

Cowards

Cowards

Does Truth exist? YES or NO. I think it's so cowardly to avoid closed ended questions. I'm going to do somthing I didn't think I would do in this debate. I'm going to pray for Zakath. Yeah, that's right, you heard what I said. Here is my prayer: Lord, would you give Zakath the courage to answer Bob's questions directly so that we could get to the heart of the matter on why he rejects You? Amen

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Re: Cowards

Originally posted by Brother
Does Truth exist? YES or NO. I think it's so cowardly to avoid closed ended questions. I'm going to do somthing I didn't think I would do in this debate. I'm going to pray for Zakath. Yeah, that's right, you heard what I said. Here is my prayer: Lord, would you give Zakath the courage to answer Bob's questions directly so that we could get to the heart of the matter on why he rejects You? Amen

Good deal, Brother. A few of us have been praying for Zakath for quite a while now. :D

Zakath

Resident Atheist

Does Truth exist? YES or NO. I think it's so cowardly to avoid closed ended questions.
Not when they're distracting from the actual purpose of the debate.

How about answering the original question of the debate: Does God Exist? Yes or No. :D

Bob seems to want to avoid that one at all cost. I wonder why... :think:

Gerlad

Originally posted by Zakath
Because one of the favorite tactics of presuppositionalists like Enyart is to change the focus of the debate from something he cannot do (i.e. prove the existence of a deity, any deity) to get the debeate mired down in philosophical quagmire. He then walks away claiming victory when he never answered the question in the first place.

Hi Zakath,

I didn't realize that Enyart was a presuppositionalist. Are there bios available for you two that I've missed?

Thanks, J

Palto

Greetings Zakath,
This is an interesting precursor discussion to the debate. While I can appreciate that one tactic of debate is a sort of "smoke screen" to keep the focus off the issue at hand, wouldn't attributes that are necessary to establish the question at hand be encouraged? In issues such as this it is not a matter of a simple yes or no. What may be perfectly acceptable with minimal information to one may not be as compelling to another. In this way a preponderance of attributes may be needed to support an idea so that it is reasonable to conclude through logic that one concept outweighs another. Another tactic used is the avoidance of uncomfortable questions for one reason or another. This type of discussion tends to drag out a debate by blurring the definitions. I think it would behoove both of you to keep the discussion on track by eliminating as much of the "dodging" as possible. If a question appears unreasonable, it must be clearly and logically dismantled. Otherwise it falls squarely on opinion not observation. In this particular question it must be ascertained why absolute truth is either false or irrelevant to the discussion. In the same way as it is important for Pastor Enyart to establish why it is important. In reference to Bob's church helping his cause, you are absolutely right. GOD does not need us, or our wisdom, to succeed. GOD's Power and Glory are made perfect through weakness.
Judges 7:1-7
1 Then Jerubbaal, who is Gideon, and all the people that were with him, rose up early, and pitched beside the well of Harod: so that the host of the Midianites were on the north side of them, by the hill of Moreh, in the valley.
2 And the LORD said unto Gideon, The people that are with thee are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hands, lest Israel vaunt themselves against me, saying, Mine own hand hath saved me.
3 Now therefore go to, proclaim in the ears of the people, saying, Whosoever is fearful and afraid, let him return and depart early from mount Gilead. And there returned of the people twenty and two thousand; and there remained ten thousand.
4 And the LORD said unto Gideon, The people are yet too many; bring them down unto the water, and I will try them for thee there: and it shall be, that of whom I say unto thee, This shall go with thee, the same shall go with thee; and of whomsoever I say unto thee, This shall not go with thee, the same shall not go.
5 So he brought down the people unto the water: and the LORD said unto Gideon, Every one that lappeth of the water with his tongue, as a dog lappeth, him shalt thou set by himself; likewise every one that boweth down upon his knees to drink.
6 And the number of them that lapped, putting their hand to their mouth, were three hundred men: but all the rest of the people bowed down upon their knees to drink water.
7 And the LORD said unto Gideon, By the three hundred men that lapped will I save you, and deliver the Midianites into thine hand: and let all the other people go every man unto his place.
You have impressive and perplexing credentials and appear well educated by your posts. I am looking forward to observing this debate.

Palto

RogerB

Not when they're distracting from the actual purpose of the debate.

This from The King of Distraction?!?! :chuckle:

How about answering the original question of the debate: Does God Exist? Yes or No.

Yes! :bannana:

Bob seems to want to avoid that one at all cost. I wonder why...

Has the debate started or are you just trying to distract us? :zakath:

PureX

Hmmm, does God exist?

Does an idea exist? What will be the criteria in this debate for "existence"? Will something have to be physical to claim existence? And if not, how will we qualify it? Ideas have a physical component, but we don't normally consider an idea "real".

This should be interesting if the debate can stick to the actual question.

Post Modern Fundamentalist
Proof is subjective.

The only indisputable proof of God's existence is the working of the Holy spirit on the heart. And the only way to resist it is to blaspheme the spirit till the end.

Not that I am against philosophical attempts to prove God's existence but they are far from the most important tools that the evangelist/apologist has to work with (though those more important tools may not receive enough attention).

Last edited:

novice

Who is the stooge now?
So the first post is done eh?

Against my better judgment I had talked myself into the notion that Zakath would do better in BR VII than he did in BR II. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised but I was still hoping for better in round one than Zakath provided.

Brother

Does the word exist exist? Only kidding, just trying to see how rediculous we could get. Ok, so, the coin has been tossed. Break out the pop corn and soda pop!!! Woooaaaahhhh!!!!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Does the word exist exist? Only kidding, just trying to see how rediculous we could get. Ok, so, the coin has been tossed. Break out the pop corn and soda pop!!! Woooaaaahhhh!!!!
Well... not only has the coin been tossed but the first post has been made!

novice

Who is the stooge now?
Originally posted by Knight
Well... not only has the coin been tossed but the first post has been made!
You mean.. the first post has already been wasted. :shocked:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by novice
You mean.. the first post has already been wasted. :shocked:
You never could see the value in defining your terms before arguing about them, could you? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.