Battle Royale VIII - Jerry Shugart vs. *Acts9_12Out*
Were works ever required for salvation?

Discuss the battle here!

Last edited:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Jerry will make his first post within the next 48 hours.

PureX

Next! .....

Next! .....

Nothing was ever required for our salvation but to surrender ourselves to it.

Debate over. *smile*

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thus saith Purex.

That sounds like a pretty authoritative statement from a guy who claims that no one can be sure of anything.

Freak

Originally posted by Turbo

Thus saith Purex.

That sounds like a pretty authoritative statement from a guy who claims that no one can be sure of anything.
well, Turbo, what do you believe about this subject? Do you believe, at one point, works were necessary for salvation?

PureX

Originally posted by Turbo That sounds like a pretty authoritative statement from a guy who claims that no one can be sure of anything.
YOU can be sure that I'm always right. *smile*

philosophizer

Re: Battle Talk ~ Battle Royale VIII

Originally posted by Turbo

Were works ever required for salvation?

Something that will be important for each of the participants will be to define "works." Otherwise they could argue around each other and never get into the issue.

Are works simple good deeds? Are works deeds done for a church? Is choosing to believe in Christ a work?

I think works are a flesh thing. They are demonstrative of the spirit. Good works show the spirit is leading the flesh, while bad works show the flesh is leading the spirit. So works are merely an observable symbol of an underlying truth.

Choosing to believe in Christ is not something done with the flesh. It is a pledge to direct your will to Him. Directing your will is a movement of the spirit, not a work of the flesh.

So defining the term "work" is important. I hope the debate participants do so early.

LightSon

I'll enjoy this debate. But whatever happened to the closed/OV debate?
You know. John Piper is my 2nd cousin. If I get him to debate the closed side, do I get a prize?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That sounds great, LightSon. Piper is a Calvinist, right?

Do you think he'd be up for it?

Freak

Turbo, don't be afriad to answer....

well, Turbo, what do you believe about this subject? Do you believe, at one point, works were necessary for salvation?

Status
Not open for further replies.