Brexit

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
In my humble opinion the UK and the EU should be able to reach an accommodation concerning the numbers of immigrants entering the country which, as I understand it, was the major concern of those who voted to leave.

Given that the UK was able to retain its own monetary system instead of changing to the Euro when it joined the EU, it would be in the best interests of both sides to make the necessary concessions for the greater good.

As it stands, the UK now runs the additional risk of losing Northern Ireland and Scotland, both of which voted overwhelmingly in favor to stay in the EU.

Do you know what they think? Do-you-know-what-they-think?

I will tell you what they think

And this really did show at once from the very beginning that the EU was a POLITICAL union although they hid this from the people.

The free movement of people is a founding principle and cannot be altered. They believe that the cause of all the wars on the continent including WW1 and 2 was the result of national pride, German pride, French pride and British and Italian pride and so they believed if only borders could be eliminated and all the peoples mixed together it would break down the nationalistic pride which [they believe] has been the cause of all the wars.

THAT'S what they think. That is why the free movement of peoples is non-negotiable

They don't think that Germany and France are both 4-5 times the land size of Britain, nor do they take into account that we are an Island.

But national pride never was the cause of wars...the cause of wars always was subjugation of land and people and goods....greed.

Trade is just another more subtle expression of it.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
That's an important distinction although I'm not sure why. The UK Stayed with the Pound for their currency and wasn't as "free movement" as the others I understand. And I could understand incorrectly.
I don't think most Americans had ever heard of the EU until they came out with their own currency. The prospect of being able to go to Europe and only need one kind of money was big news when it happened like, 13 years ago? And the UK wasn't really "all in" on that so this is an exit of a guy that never really joined all the way.
My point is that if the EU can make an exception for the British pound, perhaps it can be more flexible with respect to free borders.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Do you know what they think? Do-you-know-what-they-think?

I will tell you what they think

And this really did show at once from the very beginning that the EU was a POLITICAL union although they hid this from the people.

The free movement of people is a founding principle and cannot be altered. They believe that the cause of all the wars on the continent including WW1 and 2 was the result of national pride, German pride, French pride and British and Italian pride and so they believed if only borders could be eliminated and all the peoples mixed together it would break down the nationalistic pride which [they believe] has been the cause of all the wars.

THAT'S what they think. That is why the free movement of peoples is non-negotiable

They don't think that Germany and France are both 4-5 times the land size of Britain, nor do they take into account that we are an Island.

But national pride never was the cause of wars...the cause of wars always was subjugation of land and people and goods....greed.

Trade is just another more subtle expression of it.
As previously stated the UK is facing the very real problem of Scotland and Northern Ireland doing to them what they did to the EU.

The influx of refugees into Europe from Syria, the Middle East and Africa, coupled with recent terrorist attacks,has resulted in dramatic shift to the right and a concern for controlling one's borders.

Unless the EU addresses these concerns, the UK is just the tip of the iceberg!

Last edited:

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Between 1973 and 1985, Greenland was part of the EU. Following a referendum held in 1982, it withdrew from the EU and is now associated to the EU under the Overseas Association Decision.
The public sector – enterprises and municipalities – plays a major role in Greenland's economy as does the fisheries sector.

Greenland is eligible for funding from the EU’s general budget through the EU-Greenland Partnership. For the period 2014-2020, an overall amount of €217.8 million is foreseen for the cooperation with Greenland. The Programming Document defining the cooperation priorities for this period was signed on 28th October 2014. The education, vocational training and post-elementary school system have been chosen as the concentration sector for the cooperation between Union and Greenland for the period 2014-2020.

In addition, the President of the Commission (on behalf of the EU), the Prime Minister of Denmark and the Greenland Premier signed on 19th March 2015 'an umbrella' framework document for the post-2013 EU-Greenland relations, a “Joint Declaration on relations between the European Union, on the one hand, and the Government of Greenland and the Government of Denmark, on the other”. By this legally and financially non-binding document, the EU confirms its long lasting links between with Greenland and reiterates the geostrategic importance of Greenland for the EU.

https://ec.europa.eu/europeaid/countries/greenland_en
If the EU can come to an accommodation with Greenland, why wouldn't it make one with Scotland and/or Northern Ireland if they chose to separate?

rexlunae

If the EU can come to an accommodation with Greenland, why wouldn't it make one with Scotland and/or Northern Ireland if they chose to separate?

That was the opposite direction. Greenland wanted to stay out even while Denmark stayed in. And in theory, Scotland isn't some overseas British possession. It's in full union with the UK. And it would be a serious diplomatic faux pas for the EU to appear to support Scottish separatism.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Well well, what do you know. Michael Gove has just buried a knife deep in BoJo's back, right between the shoulder blades. He had been Boris's chief supporter and seconder for the Tory leadership.

Boris has been backsliding.....

Michael Gove could well be the next Prime Minister.

The treachery of the Tories [and all politicians] never cease to amaze. This is the most dastardly, low down act of deceit and betrayal since Michael Heseltine stabbed Thatcher in the back.

andyc

Well well, what do you know. Michael Gove has just buried a knife deep in BoJo's back, right between the shoulder blades. He had been Boris's chief supporter and seconder for the Tory leadership.

The treachery of the Tories [and all politicians] never cease to amaze. This is the most dastardly, low down act of deceit and betrayal since Michael Heseltine stabbed Thatcher in the back.

Yeah its a bit messy to say the least. Gove always reminds me of Penfold, for all those who remember Danger Mouse.
Although he stabbed Boris in the back, he has been very much against the EU for a long time, and did join the campaign. So for me he's the man for the job.

However, for me, it has to be Farage who deserves all the credit for influencing the opinion of people to brexit. For some time now UKIP have been growing stronger and stronger. Although they didnt win many seats in the last election, they got something like 5 million votes. For me he has to go down as the most influentual politician of the century so far. The one that everyone mocked in the European Parliment, could be one of the central figures in it's collapse. What a wonderful day it will be to see the EU come to an end.

Just think of all the escatology books that would need updating as well.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Hehe all those prophesy books....or mebbe Britain is that horn which grew exceedingly big :idunno:

I would prefer Gove, pleeeze not May. Labour is just a disaster...Angela Eagle...the world's first Lesbian leader....oh dear, I remember Tony Blair, it seems another world.

gcthomas

Hehe all those prophesy books....or mebbe Britain is that horn which grew exceedingly big :idunno:

I would prefer Gove, pleeeze not May. Labour is just a disaster...Angela Eagle...the world's first Lesbian leader....oh dear, I remember Tony Blair, it seems another world.

No, not Gove. I still recoil from what he did to the Education Dept, pitching up with ideas supported only by his cabal, sent education back 30 years to what he recalled from his privately educated days, and strolled off leaving everyone else to pick up the pieces. Primary English and Mathematics teaching may never recover from the ill though out changes that were opposed by anyone who understood anything about primary schooling.

No, Gove would be a disaster only slightly less bad than Johnson would have been. Eagle no, Fox no, and the other two are anonymous and too young. May will be bad, but who else is there? At least she doesn't flap around gormlessly like the rest, and losing the Home Office might allow her Snooper's Charter to weaken a little before it is enacted.

marhig

My husband and I were laughing, because there was the "leaked" email from Michael Gove's wife saying that she wasn't sure about Boris, I said to my husband then, that Michael Gove was up to something. Sure enough the next day he goes for leadership himself and ditches Boris like a ton bricks They are all underhand, I'm sure they think the British public are stupid and that we can't see through them.

The sooner the Tories are out the better! But labour aren't much cop at the moment either!

andyc

Britain the little horn?

I want my national insurance contributions back! :chuckle:

andyc

Blair is the most dangerous Brit ever to have been in #10.

There's a difference between those who think that the EU maybe a good idea and beneficial (Cameron, Thatcher) to those who are dreaming of a Federal states of Europe (Clarke, Blair, Hesseltine).

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
That was the opposite direction. Greenland wanted to stay out even while Denmark stayed in. And in theory, Scotland isn't some overseas British possession. It's in full union with the UK. And it would be a serious diplomatic faux pas for the EU to appear to support Scottish separatism.
If the EU is prepared to provide Greenland, a non-member, with €217.8 million from 2014-2020, then why would they "write-off" Northern Ireland and Scotland?

It was the "LEAVE MAJORITY" that committed the "serious diplomatic faux pas" and by allowing Northern Ireland and Scotland to rejoin would send a strong message to other nations that contemplate leaving!

rexlunae

If the EU is prepared to provide Greenland, a non-member, with €217.8 million from 2014-2020, then why would they "write-off" Northern Ireland and Scotland?

It's not like it was charity. It was an agreement to develop energy resources for the benefits of Europe.

And it's not as if they're going to write off Scotland or Northern Ireland. Or the UK. The whole purpose of the EU is integration, and for reasons of proximity and common purpose, there will be enormous cooperation all around regardless.

It was the "LEAVE MAJORITY" that committed the "serious diplomatic faux pas" and by allowing Northern Ireland and Scotland to rejoin would send a strong message to other nations that contemplate leaving!

A plebiscite generally is assumed to possess a high degree of legitimacy. It's hard to call it a faux pas when it represents the will of the people to direct their own fates. On the other hand, any appearance of the EU supporting separatism movements, especially within a current member nation, would have serious consequences with, say, Spain. It's just a bad idea.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
I suspect the Leave side would really like their Empire back. Pretend it is no later than about mid 1800's and Britannia rules the waves and Rudyard Kipling is the nations poet.