ECT Can a Christian ever be rejected by God because of . . .

oatmeal

ALL God's promises are conditional. Never forget that.

Never forget that once the condition is met, God keeps His promise, even it that means for all eternity, as in giving eternal life.

When a person meets the requirements, the conditions, to receive eternal life, God give them eternal life and then they have eternal life, for all eternity, which is how long eternal life is.

Cross Reference

Perhaps you think that Eternal Security means that one has a license to sin. The people who have helped me and mentored me in the past few months are the most Godly and obedient Christians I have ever met.

All I stated was, The promises of God conditional. Read the many stories/accounts in the OT to understand that God gave examples in the natural for us to understand and make application in the spiritual realm. Read Deut 6, just for starters.

We still work out our salvation in fear and trembling, as Scripture exhorts. There is not a day that goes by that we are not to lay down our lives for Christ, and we each discover what that means in a personal way through the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

OK. Now ask yourself, "why do I have to work out my salvation __ and do it in fear and trembling"?

Cross Reference

I think the word condition could be a theological study. He saves unconditionally, He helps us to live a holy life, He brings us home to glory.

You are getting all of that thinking from religious commentary and not the Bible.

We are exhorted throughout Scripture to pray daily and exercise our faith. That is why we do it, out of love and obedience.

Again I ask why, if God does it all??

I can live my life as I please and all my sins past, present and future, are forgiven. Are you not taught that?

nikolai_42

Why? Because of poor doctrine that that says, "I can live my life as I please and have Jesus, too". Why not ask yourself why the "friend" of the master of the house cast him out for not wearing his [provided at the door] "wedding garment"? (Matt 22:1-12)

Is that what a new creation would say? I can live my life the way I want because I have Jesus? No. That's the point. Those that are His have been truly changed from the inside out and know what they have been delivered from. That mindset is foreign to the man I was describing. And the parable references guests to the wedding, but says nothing of the bride.

"Counsel"? That is not a command.

"As many asI love"? Weren't you taught, "God loved the whole world"?

"Overcome"? Why? That speaks of a condition laid upon the believer.

The point of my quoting that passage was because I see in the Laodiceans something of the kind of person you were describing. And in the ones Christ counsels to buy gold and fine linen (i.e. those who actually do) - they are those of whom it could never be said that they want to live their lives their way but still "have Jesus". Note that the parable sees the poorly clothed guest as being cast out while Jesus is coming to a whole church of poorly clothed guests.

In the end, profession is not what determines where one dwells.

Cross Reference

The true believer does not live their life as they please. There is a continual tension in the flesh and our Lord knows this. He helps us draw close to Him and abide in Him. Do you not know this in a personal and real sense?

Our heavenly Father knows us and loves and draws us to Him. We are blessed to be His children.

OK. Good! You suggested the word "condition" should be a theological study. Why not suggest the same kind of study for what is a "true believer"?

Cross Reference

Is that what a new creation would say?

For one who is not taught anything of the significance of need for intimacy within in it that the value of it can realized, yes. Cannot one build a house on a crooked foundation?

I can live my life the way I want because I have Jesus? No. That's the point. Those that are His have been truly changed from the inside out and know what they have been delivered from.
That is the goal, isn't it __ unless you believe it is an instantaneous transformation?

That mindset is foreign to the man I was describing. And the parable references guests to the wedding, but says nothing of the bride.
But does speak of the man the self-willed man, doesn't it?

The point of my quoting that passage was because I see in the Laodiceans something of the kind of person you were describing. And in the ones Christ counsels to buy gold and fine linen (i.e. those who actually do) - they are those of whom it could never be said that they want to live their lives their way but still "have Jesus".

Indeed, if they come to the realization of the truth of the gospel to see their lack,you are correct. We can both be assured grace would extend to them irrespective of any doctrine of 'dispensational truths'. In the book of Revelation, we can read of this as truth.

Note that the parable sees the poorly clothed guest as being cast out while Jesus is coming to a whole church of poorly clothed guests.

He is coming for a "Church without spot of wrinkle". What does that say to you with regard for the need of white robes washed in the blood of then Lamb?

In the end, profession is not what determines where one dwells.

Dwells? I am speaking of "abiding".

Cross Reference

Nang

TOL Subscriber
All I stated was, The promises of God conditional. Read the many stories/accounts in the OT to understand that God gave examples in the natural for us to understand and make application in the spiritual realm. Read Deut 6, just for starters.

OK. Now ask yourself, "why do I have to work out my salvation __ and do it in fear and trembling"?

The old Covenant of Works/Law was conditional, and no man has ever been able to keep the conditions: perfect obedience.

The new Covenant of Grace in Jesus Christ is totally UNCONDITIONAL, for the Lord God performs ALL that Covenant on behalf of His people.

"Working out our salvation" is an exercise of faith, not good works. And faith is a provision and gift of God . . so it is God the Holy Spirit who feeds our soul with faith, and guides us into holy living, and guarantees we will endure unto everlasting life.

It is not our work that keeps us saved, it is the protection and preservation of our souls, promised to us by God.

heir

TOL Subscriber
. . . . . . . . his refusal to die to himself as exampled by Jesus? If such a life produces thorns and thistles, what do the scriptures say about the end of such a life that lives presumptuously believing he will receive a crown?
You appear to be one of those people who get salvation and service confused.

Get saved so you can serve.
You can't serve to be saved.

nikolai_42

For one who is not taught anything of the significance of need for intimacy within in it that the value of it can realized, yes. Cannot one build a house on a crooked foundation?

Sure, but I take it that a man who is truly born again and truly loves God has been fundamentally changed. He is counted the cost and is building on the only sure foundation. That being the case, I don't see him ever being rejected. Tripped up, maybe, but never rejected.

That is the goal, isn't it __ unless you believe it is an instantaneous transformation?

I do. Not instantaneous completion, but instantaneous change. Take even a microcosm of that radical change. When you forgive someone from the heart, something happens immediately. Not over time. There may be time to repair some of the breaches caused, but the change in heart is immediate and utter.

But does speak of the man the self-willed man, doesn't it?

Yes. Not the crucified man.

Indeed, if they come to the realization of the truth of the gospel to see their lack,you are correct. We can both be assured grace would extend to them irrespective of any doctrine of 'dispensational truths'. In the book of Revelation, we can read of this as truth.

He is coming for a "Church without spot of wrinkle". What does that say to you with regard for the need of white robes washed in the blood of then Lamb?

Revelation speaks of saints washing their robes white in tribulation. But Zechariah 3 shows the high priests filthy garments simply being exchanged for white. "A brand plucked from the fire". Revelation 3 ties those two together. Washing in the blood of the Lamb is one thing. A tested faith is admittedly another. The ones who are willing to lose their very lives will not want to have their own lives and add Christ's on to it. They want the total exchange - and walking in tribulation where the cost is high (and immediate reward often nothing) is where that faith is solidified. Blessed are you when you are persecuted for righteousness sake...

Dwells? I am speaking of "abiding".

I'm afraid I don't see a substantial difference. I could just as easily accept that profession does not determine where one abides. It doesn't change my meaning any.

Livelystone

Your topic is certainly valid but I believe you can find your answer in the OT with how God responded to His people crying out to Him

God heard the cries of the Jews in bondage to the Egyptians and their flesh, however, He did not answer them

Only when after Moses was raised up did God respond to the dire straights and conditions of His people........... and it continued this way throughout history where we can see the different treatment of His people was a direct result of how they did or did not worship God?

What is important for today's Christian to understand is the church in the wilderness was the same persons earlier in Egypt whose slaves (lay persons) were subject to their masters (clergy) are a prophecy of todays church still making the man-made bricks for each denomination who makes up the Tower of Babel in Babylon, AKA the modern day denominational church system.

If Christians want to remain "in the flesh" fine........ just do not expect to have your prayers answered as you would like them to be answered

Cross Reference

Your topic is certainly valid but I believe you can find your answer in the OT with how God responded to His people crying out to Him

Conversely, one can see what God finally did after having bailed them out for millenia __He divorced them.

What is important for today's Christian to understand is the church in the wilderness was the same persons earlier in Egypt whose slaves (lay persons) were subject to their masters (clergy) are a prophecy of todays church still making the man-made bricks for each denomination who makes up the Tower of Babel in Babylon, AKA the modern day denominational church system.

What is important is God divorcing OT Israel is the natural of His dealings with NT Christians in a Spiritual way. The thing to remember is the coming trial and test time called the tribulation __ when the "foolish virgins, who loved not their life unto death", will be given the time and test for the washing of their robes in the blood of the Lamb. Need scripture for that?

Last edited:

Cross Reference

Sure, but I take it that a man who is truly born again and truly loves God has been fundamentally changed.

How so that he won't be challenged within himself and that by temptation?

He is counted the cost and is building on the only sure foundation.

. . .building on it by what instructions, taught by who?

That being the case, I don't see him ever being rejected. Tripped up, maybe, but never rejected.

That is an opinion, to be sure. Unless "abiding", as Jesus puts it, happens instantaneously, then the whole thing is up for grabs.

I do. Not instantaneous completion, but instantaneous change.

What can be the difference since being changed, as we speak of it , connotes a progressiveness.

Take even a microcosm of that radical change.

If radical, it will never be microcosm evidence.

When you forgive someone from the heart, something happens immediately. Not over time. There may be time to repair some of the breaches caused, but the change in heart is immediate and utter.

Yes, however, there can be no "resting on one's laurels". The test will most certainly, come again.

Yes. Not the crucified man.

Do you know any who now live their lives "unto" God?

Revelation speaks of saints washing their robes white in tribulation. But Zechariah 3 shows the high priests filthy garments simply being exchanged for white. "A brand plucked from the fire". Revelation 3 ties those two together. Washing in the blood of the Lamb is one thing. A tested faith is admittedly another.

And failure produces another. Why do you suppose they rejected at the outset?

The ones who are willing to lose their very lives will not want to have their own lives and add Christ's on to it. They want the total exchange - and walking in tribulation where the cost is high (and immediate reward often nothing) is where that faith is solidified.

. . . and by their death will it be solidified.

Blessed are you when you are persecuted for righteousness sake...

That is already here on TOL.

I'm afraid I don't see a substantial difference. I could just as easily accept that profession does not determine where one abides. It doesn't change my meaning any.

Many have the indwelling. Few know that abiding is the key __ thanks to religion.

Livelystone

Need scripture for that?

No,

However, those who "sell the oil" the foolish ones are told to seek out?

We see both of the above within the two woman healed by Jesus..... the first one of 12 (2X6 # of man aka 2000 years of mans church) years unclean because of her "issue" and the second one of 18 (3X6# of man) years still bowed over to the earth (bondage to the flesh)

However, the first ones healed which is going on as we speak, will be the ones to lay hands on and "supply the oil" needed by the second and foolish ones who did not get it now as they could have.

All will go through tribulation and all will be washed clean by the blood of the Lamb.......... for sure no one wearing a white robe will ever get one any other way

nikolai_42

How so that he won't be challenged within himself and that by temptation?

The best I can do at the moment is agree that from our vantage point, testing and trial appears to require some unknown to be made known - to us, at least. But lest we lose sight of God's role in it all, what we believe about His understanding is very critical :

And the angel of the Lord called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.
And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

Genesis 22:11-12

Did God have to learn something here?

. . .building on it by what instructions, taught by who?

Ultimately, the answer is the Holy Spirit - but not in a vacuum. Not in isolation.

That is an opinion, to be sure. Unless "abiding", as Jesus puts it, happens instantaneously, then the whole thing is up for grabs.

Only in outright denial, I am coming to believe.

If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:
If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

2 Timothy 2:12-13

The one who wants to be identified with Christ - once converted - will not deny him. He may well fail, but will not deny Him. Peter shows evidence of that (and even with his denial, Jesus did not cast him aside).

What can be the difference since being changed, as we speak of it , connotes a progressiveness.

I agree that we are being changed into His image. But the new creation itself is born instantaneously. The work is immediate, the outworking over time.

If radical, it will never be microcosm evidence.

I only meant that the example of forgiveness and its impact on the one who forgives is a microcosm of the new birth.

Yes, however, there can be no "resting on one's laurels". The test will most certainly, come again.

No doubt it will, but short of a radical internal change, the test will never be passed. And the success or failure experienced in any such test is proportional to one's trust in God to deliver. But unless someone has totally turned their backs on God, then there is something that will ultimately be salvaged in their lives (even if being saved "so as by fire"). I don't believe someone truly born again will ever buckle under the pressure of too many, too difficult tests. It would reflect at least as much on the faithfulness of God as the perseverance of man.

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
I Corinthians 10:13

Bear in mind that that verse is written in the context of a "take heed". If any man thinks they stand then they are, more than likely, placing undue trust in the natural man. Such a person is ripe for correction. If they are born again, the correction will work in them that which God desires. If not, it may only serve to bring forth the inevitable denial of God.

Ironically, "if any man thinks he stands" could easily apply to the OSAS crowd. In that sense, I could see them being set up by deception - and I also now see how it is not the same as the "perseverance of the saints" doctrine.

Do you know any who now live their lives "unto" God?

I am not the judge of a man's life before God. I can judge fruit, certainly, but when you are talking about the difference between "for", "unto" and even "in", that requires discernment of often hidden motives. Hebrews 4:12 makes it clear, I think, that God does that with us personally but doesn't necessarily share that knowledge with others. It will eventually come out, but before it does (judge nothing before the time), it would only be a guess.

Having said all that, if were to look around and use what discernment I have (be it none or some), I would have to admit that I would think there are a handful I know that could be said to be living "unto" God. Could I be wrong? Yes.

And failure produces another. Why do you suppose they rejected at the outset?

Not sure I follow your thought here. What do you mean by failure? Who is rejected at the outset? Those that still wear filthy garments?

. . . and by their death will it be solidified.

Yes. Though I would say that the death involved in taking up one's cross need not always be martyrdom. So those that truly die to self have solidified something spiritually that will only be confirmed when they die.

That is already here on TOL.

Many have the indwelling. Few know that abiding is the key __ thanks to religion.

While I would agree, one cannot abide in one's own strength (in any sense of the word). Otherwise we end up holding on for dear life through the storms instead of resting in Christ. So I don't see the abiding as a challenge to remain but as a challenge to persevere in sanctification (more or less, anyway...). Continued submission. The key element in sin that destroys is pride. It is the very sin of Satan.