Theology Club: can ya help a brother out

Danoh

I'm going with you on this one.
Scripture says if you don't believe Jesus rose from the dead then your faith is in vain.

1 Corinthians 15:14 KJV
(14) And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.

You posted the above just over a year ago and may have come to a different understanding of that since then.

As it is, you were obviously reading your above into that passage.

Paul is actually asserting that if Christ did not rise from the dead, then he (Paul) had been preaching a vain, or baseless message.

And that if that had been the case, then their "faith is ALSO vain" (their having believed He rose from the dead was based on a message devoid [vain, empty] of any such Christ having risen from the dead).

Paul then goes into a defense of the opposite of that, in the balance of the chapter; which is about the validity of THEIR resurrection; being as it is based on the validity of Christ's Resurrection.

Just shows the importance of what I have tried to point out in vain (or, to no avail); that proper understanding of one thing or another in Scripture greatly depends on, and is greatly impacted by, one's study approach/study principles.

Rom. 5:8
Acts 17:11,12

Danoh

Well, I'll give ya something else to think about.

Notice the following about the OT saints on their way to Canaan from their captivity in Egypt (the exodus).

1 Corinthians 10:1-5 KJV
(1) Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea;
(2) And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
(3) And did all eat the same spiritual meat;
(4) And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

ALL had the same.
But wait, it continues ...

(5) But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness.

You can get the spiritual drink, the living water, from Christ, and be baptized, and still be rejected.
That cannot be said of the BOC.

And yet, Paul wrote that to members of the Body.

Acts 17:11,12.

LoneStar

Good news. Had a chat with Captain yesterday evening. He laid it out a b c. Many thanks to all here. Your patience and information helped tremendously to comprehend all Captain laid out. Mother was right, TOL is the place to come to. I'm sold. Thread over. I know right where to come next time I need help.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Good news. Had a chat with Captain yesterday evening. He laid it out a b c. Many thanks to all here. Your patience and information helped tremendously to comprehend all Captain laid out. Mother was right, TOL is the place to come to. I'm sold. Thread over. I know right where to come next time I need help.
Who's Captain?

Danoh

Don't stop now, dano has much to teach you

Nah.

The thread started out with LS relating his obviously shot in the dark approach had left him...in the dark.

The thread then went on to his being encouraged by some to continue in his approach.

The guy jokingly asked if there was some sort of a MAD For Dummies.

The thread continued both to encourage his shot in the dark, and to spoonfeed him answers.

It is an unnecessarily long way around a far much shorter learning curve.

The Thing That Differs between merely giving a man a fish (feeding him only for a day) and actually sharing with him how to fish on his own (thereby enabling him to feed himself for a lifetime).

The man ended up where he began the thread from...in need of another spoon feed...tomorrow.

You'd see this, if you actually bothered.

And if you'd quit brown nosing some on here...

You'd see that there actually is a MAD For Dummies, an actual approach...in the Scripture...

You'd see that in Scripture, one's remaining at a need to be spoonfed is not highly esteemed, where the things of The Lord are concerned...

1 Peter 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:

Hebrews 5:11 Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing. 5:12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. 5:13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

You only think you are are saying something smart, there.

You well know, those you are brown nosing on here, will turn on you the moment you express your own voice.

Acts 17:11,12

Danoh

Hoss, that's your department.

So says the guy who starts a thread only to go running to the moderators when posters buck your narrow minded views (or you close down the thread shortly thereafter).

Fact is, what LS needed was actual, concrete study principles, not spoon feeding (as much as spoon feeding others to your various errors soothes your egos).

At least with actual, concrete study principles, the guy could then apply them to what he is being spoon fed, that he might then know if what he is being spoon fed is actually sound.

:doh:

Ten to the one, the following was not the "well maybe this, perhaps that" shot in the dark searching your sort too often encourage...

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. 17:12 Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few.