Cessationism

OCTOBER23

Wikpedia Definition of Cessationism

Cessationism is the view that the “miracle gifts” of tongues and healing have ceased—that the end of the apostolic age brought about a cessation of the miracles associated with that age. Most cessationists believe that, while God can and still does perform miracles today, the Holy Spirit no longer uses individuals to perform miraculous signs.

The biblical record shows that miracles occurred during particular periods for the specific purpose of authenticating a new message from God. Moses was enabled to perform miracles to authenticate his ministry before Pharaoh (Exodus 4:1-8). Elijah was given miracles to authenticate his ministry before Ahab (1 Kings 17:1; 18:24). The apostles were given miracles to authenticate their ministry before Israel (Acts 4:10, 16).

Jesus’ ministry was also marked by miracles, which the Apostle John calls “signs” (John 2:11). John’s point is that the miracles were proofs of the authenticity of Jesus’ message.

After Jesus’ resurrection, as the Church was being established and the New Testament was being written, the apostles demonstrated “signs” such as tongues and the power to heal. “Tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not” (1 Corinthians 14:22, a verse that plainly says the gift was never intended to edify the church).

The Apostle Paul predicted that the gift of tongues would cease (1 Corinthians 13:8).

-- Do you think that this is True nowadays ?

HisServant

I think that God is going to do what he wants when he wants and our 'interpretation' of his scripture does not bind him to our made up doctrines.

Danoh

In the end, signs served that other express purpose - "a sign" to Israel under the Law - that God in His wrath had turned from that nation...

Israel was a sign people under the Law. When they either got things right, or screwed up as a nation per the Law, they could look to the Law for what had been written there as to signs from God as to the fact of either of those two.

Deuteronomy 28:

1. And it shall come to pass, if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe and to do all his commandments which I command thee this day, that the LORD
thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth:
2. And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God.
3. Blessed shalt thou be in the city, and blessed shalt thou be in the field.

15. But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:
16. Cursed shalt thou be in the city, and cursed shalt thou be in the field.
17. Cursed shall be thy basket and thy store.

Consider the following famous one from the above, taken out of context for centuries now:

23. And thy heaven that is over thy head shall be brass, and the earth that is under thee shall be iron.
24. The LORD shall make the rain of thy land powder and dust: from heaven shall it come down upon thee, until thou be destroyed.

2 Chronicles 7:

12. And the LORD appeared to Solomon by night, and said unto him, I have heard thy prayer, and have chosen this place to myself for an house of sacrifice.
13. If I shut up heaven that there be no rain, or if I command the locusts to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among my people;
14. If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin,
and will heal their land.

Signs were a means of God's communicating his pleasure or displeasure with Israel under the Law.

Psalm 74:

9. We see not our signs: there is no more any prophet: neither is there among us any that knoweth how long.

That out of the way, note the following - Matthew 12:

30. He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.
31. Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
32. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Acts 7:

51. Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.
52. Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers:
53. Who have received the law by the disposition of angels, and have not kept it.

With that, we read not only of Paul's salvation, but of a shift in focus - Acts 9:

15. But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:

The order has been turned. And with that, the remainder of the Twelve are given a sign they will later recall when the salvation of the Gentiles without the Law comes into question because it had been prophesied that Israel would be redeemed first, and the Gentiles would also serve under the Law, Isaiah 2:1-5, etc.

That sign give they of the circumcision which believed? Towards their serving as a witness of these things in Acts 15?

Acts 10:

45. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

God changed some things. Albeit, temporarily, as to that nation.

1 Corinthians 1:

20. Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21. For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
22. For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23. But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24. But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

1 Corinthians 14:

20. Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.
21. In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the LORD.
22. Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Romans 11:

11. I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.
12. Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?

God in His wrath turned from that nation, to the Gentiles and Israel was now gradually diminishing away as the issue, in His eyes, for a season, once more.

Read Acts 28. With Paul's pronouncement there, the purpose of signs among the Gentiles - for to provoke Israel to jealousy, came to an end.

Though return they will, and with a vengeance, as 2 Thessalonians 2 and John's Revelation make clear.

Study also Daniel's sense of this and its connection with the Law, in his prayer, in Daniel 9.

M

Man.0

To believe in cessationism is to essentially say there are no prophets or apostles, and to say there are no prophets or apostles is to say that God no longer sends men to speak on His behalf, and to say that, is to say that God has finished speaking, and to say that He is finished speaking, is to limit Him to bible, and to limit Him to the bible is to fit Him within the constraints of a book, to put Him in a box; and to put Him in a box is most certainly, blasphemy.

Robert Pate

Banned
Wikpedia Definition of Cessationism

Cessationism is the view that the “miracle gifts” of tongues and healing have ceased—that the end of the apostolic age brought about a cessation of the miracles associated with that age. Most cessationists believe that, while God can and still does perform miracles today, the Holy Spirit no longer uses individuals to perform miraculous signs.

The biblical record shows that miracles occurred during particular periods for the specific purpose of authenticating a new message from God. Moses was enabled to perform miracles to authenticate his ministry before Pharaoh (Exodus 4:1-8). Elijah was given miracles to authenticate his ministry before Ahab (1 Kings 17:1; 18:24). The apostles were given miracles to authenticate their ministry before Israel (Acts 4:10, 16).

Jesus’ ministry was also marked by miracles, which the Apostle John calls “signs” (John 2:11). John’s point is that the miracles were proofs of the authenticity of Jesus’ message.

After Jesus’ resurrection, as the Church was being established and the New Testament was being written, the apostles demonstrated “signs” such as tongues and the power to heal. “Tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not” (1 Corinthians 14:22, a verse that plainly says the gift was never intended to edify the church).

The Apostle Paul predicted that the gift of tongues would cease (1 Corinthians 13:8).

-- Do you think that this is True nowadays ?

Yes, we have the full revelation of Jesus Christ and his Gospel in the New Testament. No need for signs, visions, miracles or tongues.

john w

Hall of Fame
I think that God is going to do what he wants when he wants ...

Oh. We had not thought of that. Brilliant. And the LORD God thanks you, for giving Him that privilege.

...and our 'interpretation' of his scripture does not bind him to our made up doctrines.

Translated: Others' interpretation, others' made up doctrines, of course, not yours.

You've said nothing, as usual.

But, then again, your a subjectivist, mystic.

john w

Hall of Fame
"Cessationism "

A better topic would be "Scripture Cessation," as most alleged members of the boc, like the lost, assert that the LORD God lost His masterpiece, as the overpowering, corrupting elements of the rain, floods, heat, sun, wind.................overcame Him, and all we have left is a "theoretical" scriptures, a bunch of "nice, very good" bibles, but all of them fake, riddled with errors, and no sure, pure, sound true, right..... scriptures, which, by definition, are w/o error.

Hmmmph..............

Robert Pate

Banned
To believe in cessationism is to essentially say there are no prophets or apostles, and to say there are no prophets or apostles is to say that God no longer sends men to speak on His behalf, and to say that, is to say that God has finished speaking, and to say that He is finished speaking, is to limit Him to bible, and to limit Him to the bible is to fit Him within the constraints of a book, to put Him in a box; and to put Him in a box is most certainly, blasphemy.

HOGWASH!

God gave us a book called the Bible.

In the Bible you can read all about Jesus Christ and his Gospel. I have heard of people coming to know Christ as their savior by doing nothing more than reading the Bible.

Maybe that is something that you need to do.

SaulToPaul 2

"Cessationism "

A better topic would be "Scripture Cessation," as most alleged members of the boc, like the lost, assert that the LORD God lost His masterpiece, as the overpowering, corrupting elements of the rain, floods, heat, sun, wind.................overcame Him, and all we have left is a "theoretical" scriptures, a bunch of "nice, very good" bibles, but all of them fake, riddled with errors, and no sure, pure, sound true, right..... scriptures, which, by definition, are w/o error.

Hmmmph..............

Yes "Scripture Cessationism" or as some call it "Scripture Nipped In a Bud-ism" is a dangerous teaching.

M

Man.0

HOGWASH!

God gave us a book called the Bible.

In the Bible you can read all about Jesus Christ and his Gospel. I have heard of people coming to know Christ as their savior by doing nothing more than reading the Bible.

Maybe that is something that you need to do.

You speak how you do because you yourself have never had personal revelation from Christ. You've never heard Him speak to you. You've never heard His voice. When a person is begotten with His Spirit, He comes to dwell inside that person, and they take on His mind. You, Robert, do not have Him in you. If you had Him in you, you wouldn't speak such words. If you had Him in you, you would certainly have visions and dreams and prophecies and revelatory knowledge and other such things. Your denial of extra-biblical revelation only goes to show that... you do not have Him in you.

Danoh

You speak how you do because you yourself have never had personal revelation from Christ. You've never heard Him speak to you. You've never heard His voice. When a person is begotten with His Spirit, He comes to dwell inside that person, and they take on His mind. You, Robert, do not have Him in you. If you had Him in you, you wouldn't speak such words. If you had Him in you, you would certainly have visions and dreams and prophecies and revelatory knowledge and other such things. Your denial of extra-biblical revelation only goes to show that... you do not have Him in you.

Consider that you are just as likely, after the conclusion that "the Spirit is leading me in this..." in that, and in the other, to have to conclude at some point after that, "Well, I guess I was off on that one..."

Consider that you will not consider the ramification of that...

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

Another "Other" speaks absurdity.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
It is time to nail a lie.

When the Unitarians bang on and on about the scriptures that declare that Christ is a man while totally denying those scriptures that show Him to be God, they are not being honest.

When folks go on and on about the verses that show tongues to be a sign to the Jews and totally denying Paul's teaching on the gifts of utterance in the assembly that is not being honest...let us have ALL that Paul taught, not just the bits we like.

What then brethren? when you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation.

Let all be done for EDIFICATION.

If any speak in a tongue let there be only two or at most three and each in turn and let one interpret. But if there is no one to interpret let each of them keep silence in the church and speak TO HIMSELF and TO GOD.

Let two or three prophets speak and let the others weigh what is said. If a revelation is made to another sitting by let the first be silent.

For you can all prophesy one by one so that all may LEARN and all may be ENCOURAGED

john w

Hall of Fame
It is time to nail a lie.

When the Unitarians bang on and on about the scriptures that declare that Christ is a man while totally denying those scriptures that show Him to be God, they are not being honest.

When folks go on and on about the verses that show tongues to be a sign to the Jews and totally denying Paul's teaching on the gifts of utterance in the assembly that is not being honest...let us have ALL that Paul taught, not just the bits we like.

What then brethren? when you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation.

Let all be done for EDIFICATION.

If any speak in a tongue let there be only two or at most three and each in turn and let one interpret. But if there is no one to interpret let each of them keep silence in the church and speak TO HIMSELF and TO GOD.

Let two or three prophets speak and let the others weigh what is said. If a revelation is made to another sitting by let the first be silent.

For you can all prophesy one by one so that all may LEARN and all may be ENCOURAGED

Summer rerun season....dry as dust......

Shamba lamba yabba dabba doo mugumbo!!!! Send in your $6.66 "luv" gift today, and plant your seed!!!! Do I hear an "Amen," saints??? Give the Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd a shout! Puh raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzz Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus! Do you have the anointin?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Yes, we have the full revelation of Jesus Christ and his Gospel in the New Testament. No need for signs, visions, miracles or tongues.

Yes but what Christ have you...I do not think actually that we have the full revelation of Christ...when He appears.....

But what Christ have you? is it the Christ who walked among the people, healing, saving, showing His power to deliver people, to provide miraculously?

To prophesy, to teach word of knowledge and wisdom?

That is what He did in His Galilean body

See we's the body of Christ today

The body of Jesus of Nazereth has been hung on a tree, but after He was raised from the dead we see His body in Jerusalem...doing the VERY SAME things He did when He walked in Galilee...He now did them through Peter and John and Stephen.

Then we see His body at Corinth

All the gifts listed at Corinth are the same as those shown in Acts two, The church is the body but the works are Christ IN THEM.

That's the mystery God revealed to Paul how that Christ is in His body the church.

None of us is a whole Christ, but we are members of His body...one has this aspect of His ministry. someone else has another aspect of His ministry...the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

I think the church has always practised word of wisdom and word of knowledge, discerning of spirits etc.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Summer rerun season....dry as dust......

Shamba lamba yabba dabba doo mugumbo!!!! Send in your $6.66 "luv" gift today, and plant your seed!!!! Do I hear an "Amen," saints??? Give the Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd a shout! Puh raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzz Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus! Do you have the anointin?

It's time to stop lying, Paul said that gifts of utterance are for edification...we will follow Paul.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
When Paul healed the entire population of Malta in his later ministry it was nothing to do with the Jews...it is time to out with this lie.

Miracles are signs that kingdom of heaven has arrived.....