Cessationism

M

Man.0

Consider that you are just as likely, after the conclusion that "the Spirit is leading me in this..." in that, and in the other, to have to conclude at some point after that, "Well, I guess I was off on that one..."

Consider that you will not consider the ramification of that...

What is it that you are trying to say?

Did you have to say it that exact way, or could you have re-worded your sentences, in a plainer and simpler way, to minimise the convolution which is rather evident in what you have written?

john w

Hall of Fame
...we will follow Paul.

The old "follow Paul" stumper. Fine. Shave your head....Your avatar?:

rs642sinead-o-connor-rolling-stone-no-642-october-1992-postersb.jpg

baldgirlcartoon.jpg

Do I hear a big "Amen," "precious" saints? Puraaaaaayzzzzzzzzzzz the Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd!

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

baldgirlcartoon.jpg

Do I hear a big "Amen," "precious" saints? Puraaaaaayzzzzzzzzzzz the Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd!

It's time to stop lying, it's time to commit to ALL Paul's teaching, not just the bits we understand.

Like when Luther re-discovered the doctrine of justification which had been hidden for centuries under a load of dogma

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

baldgirlcartoon.jpg

Paul did not exhort me to shave my head, he did exhort me to speak in tongues and earnestly covet the gifts of the Holy Spirit

The word of scripture is perfect.

john w

Hall of Fame
It's time to stop lying, it's time to commit to ALL Paul's teaching, not just the bits we understand.

Like when Luther re-discovered the doctrine of justification which had been hidden for centuries under a load of dogma

Fine:

Acts 18 KJV
18 And Paul after this tarried there yet a good while, and then took his leave of the brethren, and sailed thence into Syria, and with him Priscilla and Aquila; having shorn his head in Cenchrea: for he had a vow.

Want some scizzors, or,I could give you a great "clip joint" recommendation?

baldgirlcartoon.jpg

john w

Hall of Fame
Yes "Scripture Cessationism" or as some call it "Scripture Nipped In a Bud-ism" is a dangerous teaching.

Yeah, well,Mayor, today's eight-year-olds, who believe the book, are tomorrow's bible correctors. I say this calls for action and now. Nip it in the bud. First sign of youngsters goin' wrong, correcting the bible, not being bible believers, you got to nip it in the bud. I say, "Nip it!!!" "Nip it in the bud!!!!"

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Fine:

Acts 18 KJV
18 And Paul after this tarried there yet a good while, and then took his leave of the brethren, and sailed thence into Syria, and with him Priscilla and Aquila; having shorn his head in Cenchrea: for he had a vow.

Want some scizzors, or,I could give you a great "clip joint" recommendation?

http://www.belgraviacentre.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/rs642sinead-o-connor-rolling-stone-no-642-october-1992-G]

[IMG]https://impoguemahone.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/baldgirlcartoon.jpg

He did not teach any to shave their head, he DID teach that we should earnestly covet the gifts.

It is time to stop lying....

john w

Hall of Fame
He did not teach any to shave their head, he DID teach that we should earnestly covet the gifts.

It is time to stop lying....

Then you either...

-Lied, when you said...

"...we will follow Paul."

... or,

-You are drunk, having visited "The Holy Ghost Bartender," or..

-You have the "spirit" of Jack Daniels in you.

Which is it?

Puhraaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus!

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Then you either...

-Lied, when you said...

[

"...we will follow Paul.", or...

-You are drunk, having visited "The Holy Ghost Bartender," or..

-You have the "spirit" of Jack Daniels in you.

Which is it?

Puhraaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus!

I was saved in my own home and baptised in the Holy Spirit.

Why should I say not just to appease folk like you? You see the unsaved man when you witness Christ to him...He says "there is no Christ, no salvation, I've never experienced any"

So it is with the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

When Paul met disciples he asked if they had been baptised in the Holy Spirit....when he laid his hands upon them the Holy Spirit came upon them and they spoke in tongues.

...anything like that happen to you?

john w

Hall of Fame
Then you either...

-Lied, when you said...

I was saved in my own home and baptised in the Holy Spirit.

Why should I say not just to appease folk like you? You see the unsaved man when you witness Christ to him...He says "there is no Christ, no salvation, I've never experienced any"

So it is with the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

When Paul met disciples he asked if they had been baptised in the Holy Spirit....when he laid his hands upon them the Holy Spirit came upon them and they spoke in tongues.

...anything like that happen to you?

Nice bait'nswitch, present a moving target. I stay on topic, which is your(not mine) on record argument:

Fine.

Acts 18:18 KJV

How about this as your avatar?:

bald-cartoon-characters-with-glasses-i0.jpg

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Nice bait'nswitch, present a moving target. I stay on topic, which is your(not mine) on record argument:

Fine.

Acts 18:18 KJV

How about this as your avatar?:

bald-cartoon-characters-with-glasses-i0.jpg

Acts 19:2 KJV - Acts 19:3 KJV - Acts 19:4 KJV - Acts 19:5 KJV -

Acts 19:6 KJV -

Danoh

What is it that you are trying to say?

Did you have to say it that exact way, or could you have re-worded your sentences, in a plainer and simpler way, to minimise the convolution which is rather evident in what you have written?

I have many a friend of the Charismatic persuasion. To a man and woman, their notions of "the Spirit led me" has often proven off.

The Spirit supposedly brings passages of Scripture to their remembrance.

Yet they are just as likely to quote one or another passage, as misquote them.

Likewise as to their sense about what one or another passage is talking about.

What you are doing is taking your own sense of "voice" as "His."

I doubt you will "consider this..."

Yours is all you have known. You'd be lost in a fog without its security blanket.

Your ignorance the very root of your attitude to this fiction of yours as "real."

Harsh words. Not mad at you. Yours is merely the way of the fleshly mind, that you in your ignorance allow yourself to be carried away unto - unto his dumb idol of yours...

Danoh

John W... Ms. O'Conner has asked I pass along the message to you that "nothing compares... nothing compares...to you..." lol

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Wikpedia Definition of Cessationism

Cessationism is the view that the “miracle gifts” of tongues and healing have ceased—that the end of the apostolic age brought about a cessation of the miracles associated with that age. Most cessationists believe that, while God can and still does perform miracles today, the Holy Spirit no longer uses individuals to perform miraculous signs.

The biblical record shows that miracles occurred during particular periods for the specific purpose of authenticating a new message from God. Moses was enabled to perform miracles to authenticate his ministry before Pharaoh (Exodus 4:1-8). Elijah was given miracles to authenticate his ministry before Ahab (1 Kings 17:1; 18:24). The apostles were given miracles to authenticate their ministry before Israel (Acts 4:10, 16).

Jesus’ ministry was also marked by miracles, which the Apostle John calls “signs” (John 2:11). John’s point is that the miracles were proofs of the authenticity of Jesus’ message.

After Jesus’ resurrection, as the Church was being established and the New Testament was being written, the apostles demonstrated “signs” such as tongues and the power to heal. “Tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not” (1 Corinthians 14:22, a verse that plainly says the gift was never intended to edify the church).

The Apostle Paul predicted that the gift of tongues would cease (1 Corinthians 13:8).

-- Do you think that this is True nowadays ?

Yep, i agree with the definition you presented.

M

Man.0

I have many a friend of the Charismatic persuasion. To a man and woman, their notions of "the Spirit led me" has often proven off.

The Spirit supposedly brings passages of Scripture to their remembrance.

Yet they are just as likely to quote one or another passage, as misquote them.

Likewise as to their sense about what one or another passage is talking about.

What you are doing is taking your own sense of "voice" as "His."

I doubt you will "consider this..."

Yours is all you have known. You'd be lost in a fog without its security blanket.

Your ignorance the very root of your attitude to this fiction of yours as "real."

Harsh words. Not mad at you. Yours is merely the way of the fleshly mind, that you in your ignorance allow yourself to be carried away unto - unto his dumb idol of yours...

That's better. Much clearer.

Where have you found me speaking like your Charismatic friends do, saying that the "Spirit led me"? Where have I, or when have I, even claimed to have the Spirit of God?

It appears that this 'spirit' (that is bringing passages of Scripture to your friends' rememberance) is confusing them, and we know that God is not the author of confusion (1 Corinthians 14:33). It seems that they are being lead, not by God, but by a devilish spirit.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Wikpedia Definition of Cessationism

Cessationism is the view that the “miracle gifts” of tongues and healing have ceased—that the end of the apostolic age brought about a cessation of the miracles associated with that age. Most cessationists believe that, while God can and still does perform miracles today, the Holy Spirit no longer uses individuals to perform miraculous signs.

The biblical record shows that miracles occurred during particular periods for the specific purpose of authenticating a new message from God. Moses was enabled to perform miracles to authenticate his ministry before Pharaoh (Exodus 4:1-8). Elijah was given miracles to authenticate his ministry before Ahab (1 Kings 17:1; 18:24). The apostles were given miracles to authenticate their ministry before Israel (Acts 4:10, 16).

Jesus’ ministry was also marked by miracles, which the Apostle John calls “signs” (John 2:11). John’s point is that the miracles were proofs of the authenticity of Jesus’ message.

After Jesus’ resurrection, as the Church was being established and the New Testament was being written, the apostles demonstrated “signs” such as tongues and the power to heal. “Tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not” (1 Corinthians 14:22, a verse that plainly says the gift was never intended to edify the church).

The Apostle Paul predicted that the gift of tongues would cease (1 Corinthians 13:8).

-- Do you think that this is True nowadays ?

Here's a little food for thought,

If the student of scripture takes a measurement of just how many years God performed miracles thru His prophets, how many are recorded and how many years was the Lord performing miracles thru His chosen?

Answer: less than 20 years in the last 6k years was God performing miracles...grow up