Confessions of a former Calvinist

firechyld

God describes himself in ways that would be considered human form although we know He is not human. Like when it says "arm of the Lord" in Isaiah 51:9, it's talking of God showing His strength. We know that He doesn't have the arm that we are imagining when we picture this action but we get the point that is trying to be made over His greatness. This is considered anthropomorphism. But a Calvinist will give this definition to certain passages in the bible where it doesn't fit. For instance, they feel that when God says prior to the flood that "He regretted making man", it's just God speaking on our level. But if God cannot be moved, touched by or react to our emotions why is He trying to put this occurance in such a way that would make us think that He can? Again, His magnitude is great so it's fitting to put it in such terms as "stretching out His arm", or "arm of the Lord", but what is it that He is trying to convey to us by using such a picture that describes Him being moved and truly regretting something if everything is already planned in advance and fixed?

Hope this helps.

I've only just flicked through this thread, but i noticed this on the first page and thought I'd contribute.

The use of "hand" or "arm" to refer to God exerting power over something actually stems from the Hebrew... it's not anthropomorphism as such. The Hebrew words for "hand" and "arm" are very closely related to the word for power.

True anthropormorphism is essentially a metaphor... the English translation reads like that, with the imagery being of God literally stretching out an arm. The Hebrew doesn't contain this element, as the "arm" would be literally read as power.

It's basically a language idiom... thought someone might find that interesting.

Judaic-Christian writings are actually quite sparse on the anthropomorphism. It's one of the factors leading to the development of Lockard's Ladder.

Crow

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

Poly or Crow,

Just out of curiosity...

On a scale from 1 to 100, how foundational would you say what I posted is to the Christian faith? (The higher the number the more foundational.)

And what percentage of Christians would you guess are aware of this teaching?

I'd say 100%. It was very basic.

I'd say about 2% or less understand that the Law was not salvation but damnation.

jaguar_prince

As you are a pervert, what I'm about to post gets terribly close to tossing pearls to the pigs but I can't resist.

Go and learn what that meaneth:

Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men [are], extortioners, unjust, adulterers, sexual perverts who lie in bed with males, or even as this publican.

I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And I am heterosexual.

And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as [his] eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified [rather] than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

jaguar_prince

Originally posted by Poly

That's an awful lot of judging for somebody who preaches against it.

I'm just doing the same as Jesus, my dear Jezebel:

Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man.

And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me.
Jhn 8:15-16

This is called fruitful contradiction...

You're just about the most despicable Calvinist I've come across yet because you try and use it to justify your homosexuality.

I a Calvinist? Your reading comprehension must be pretty low, Delilah. I reject everything that even remotely smacks of the foul, demonic Reformation.

By the way, I wanted to tell you that unless you reject everything that is related to the Reformation (of which Calvinism is but one offshoot), you will end up driving a car with oars on it. You cannot simply ditch one doctrine and keep the rest. Each system is an organic whole.

Am I despicable? Then let God despise me! You have no right to despise, for it is written in your holy book:

He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.

Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

And again:

Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

Although you all have despised me and murdered me in your heart, let me give you a piece of advice in brotherly love:

Mat 7:1-2

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

In other words, make sure that you become absolutely impeccable before you die because if you are not, if there is the slightest trace of sin in you, and remember that even the faintest lustful imagination is tantamount to outright adultery, God will judge with the same severity that you have judged me, me and all my brothers and sisters.

And don't say:"Jesus has covered my sins". He hasn't.

As the quote above makes perfectly clear, He covers only the sins of those who never judge their neighbor.

And don't dredge up some quote that says that we should denounce evil. One quote by Paul doesn't cancel out a whole string of quotes by Jesus and John.

And don't brandish Leviticus 20: it refers only to anal sex in the context of temple prostitution.

And don't thrust on me Paul's fulminations in Romans: they refer only to people whose whole life is focused on pleasure-seeking in endless sexual orgies.

The fact is that the Bible says nothing against loving another person of the same sex. The fact is that the Bible says nowhere that males should only love females and females should only love males.

It may even be that the young boy whom Jesus cured in Luke 7 was actually the lover (eromenos) of the centurion who begged Him to perform a miracle. And Jesus said that the Sodomites, contrary to the Chorazimites and the Capernaumites and all the Jews who turned their backs on Him, would have repented if the Gospel had been preached to them.

And the Bible gives numerous examples of polygamy. And God didn't rebuke the patriarchs and the kings who had harems. Even Luther allowed a German aristocrat to practice bigamy.

So pay attention to what is really written in the Bible. The Bible is not a Puritan manifest. Remember that a text taken out of its context is but a pretext. And if you really have too much aggressivity and violence within, turn it against your own sins. Get angry at yourself, despise yourself. Leave your neighbor alone. Or rather if you meddle with his life, do it from the position of the broken-hearted. From the position of one who is also hanging from the tree, cursed and transpierced.

And if in a final illumination you finally decide to abandon the Reformation Cadillac to recover the use of your legs, run, run to go into the kingdom of God with the homos and the tax-collectors!

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by jaguar_prince

Go and learn what that meaneth:

Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men [are], extortioners, unjust, adulterers, sexual perverts who lie in bed with males, or even as this publican.

I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And I am heterosexual.

And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as [his] eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified [rather] than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

I agree, repentant homos go to heaven! :thumb:
Are you repentant?
If so, then my labeling you a pervert was incorrect. If not then you have a problem. For not only do unrepentant homos go to hell but so do hypocrites.
It was you who pompously volunteered that there was a lot I needed to learn. Then when I simply pointed out that not only where you wrong in at least one basic Christian doctrine and that you therefore need not be telling me about how much I don't know, you then compare me to the publicans (which is laughable in light of my Tree of Life post) because I have pointed out your error. That makes you a hypocrite. If you're going to tell people they don't know much then don't get upset when they prove that it is you who doesn't know what they’re talking about.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by Crow

I'd say 100%. It was very basic.

I'd say about 2% or less understand that the Law was not salvation but damnation.

I agree completely. Pretty tragic.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by titan

Clete:

I am a Christian and I have been for 21 years. I am unsure whether or not I get your point.

I certainly get ...

Christ paid the price for our failure to meet the law.

And

Now we no longer need to satisfy the law to have eternal life.

However it seems as if you were making some other point which went over my head. Please clarify.

Titan

The basic point is that the Law is a continuation of the ministry of The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Indeed, the Law gives us just that, knowledge of good and evil. Thus, with what Christ has accomplished at the cross we are no longer to partake of the Law. Or put another way, we are not to partake of The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. That is our only prohibition, the very same prohibition that Adam and Eve were under. Christ has truly made all things new and undid the offense at the Tree for those that believe.
Get it?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Crow

Christians tend to be ignorant of their faith because they are taught by other Christians who are ignorant of their faith.

6 and 7 year olds are capable of operating complex gaming equipment and computers, and they can understand current events. Why is it that most Christian kids get told broken-up stories plucked individually from the Bible that are portrayed as cute little fables instead of teaching them the very basics first, which aren't that hard to grasp if they're presented correctly?

It's no wonder so many kids grow up and turn from Christianity and think the Bible is just a collection of fairy tales--the well-intentioned people who instructed them don't know the basics.

Sozo

Clete... I must clarify something you said...

Adam and Eve partook from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil and where condemned because of it. We (the rest of mankind) are condemned by the Law.

It is not the Law that condemns us, but rather reveals the fact that we are already condemned.

"So then, the Law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good. Therefore did that which is good become a cause of death for me? May it never be! Rather it was sin, in order that it might be shown to be sin by effecting my death through that which is good, that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful."

"So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men."

God (Jesus) removed the burden of the Law from us by nailing it to the Cross.
True! However, He also took away the sin that condemns us, there for giving us the opportunity to partake from the Tree of Life!

This is an important distinction, and needed to be addressed.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I'm just doing the same as Jesus, my dear Jezebel:

Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man.

And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me.
Jhn 8:15-16

I a Calvinist? Your reading comprehension must be pretty low, Delilah. I reject everything that even remotely smacks of the foul, demonic Reformation.

If I'm mistaken about you being a Calvinist then I apologize. I was going by what I read here.

So you're ok with judging and you're not ok with Calvinism.

Too bad that somebody so smart in these areas isn't smart enough to see that being a homo is wrong.
By the way, I wanted to tell you that unless you reject everything that is related to the Reformation (of which Calvinism is but one offshoot), you will end up driving a car with oars on it. You cannot simply ditch one doctrine and keep the rest. Each system is an organic whole.
:confused: Are you suggesting that one can't agree with what is scriptural about a doctrine and disagree with what is not? There are lots of doctrines out there. Some are based on scripture. Some only partly based on scripture. The Reformation speaks loudly of works not being a part of salvation. This is scriptural so I have no problem with this. Yes, the Reformation has been linked to Calvinism which I do reject because it is not scriptural.
Am I despicable?
Yes, that's what I said.
Then let God despise me! You have no right to despise, for it is written in your holy book:

He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.

Exactly! In light of Romans 12:9,
Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good.
I would be a hypocrite if I held people's hand on their way to hell, preaching only "God is love and He loves you just the way you are." It's pretty hateful to not warn those who are about to be destroyed.

Who are you to pick and choose only the verses that are pleasing to you? You can't choose to overlook:

Ephesians 5:11
And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them.

1Timothy 5:20
Those who are sinning rebuke in the presence of all, that the rest also may fear.

Although you all have despised me and murdered me in your heart, let me give you a piece of advice in brotherly love:

Mat 7:1-2

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

In other words, make sure that you become absolutely impeccable before you die because if you are not, if there is the slightest trace of sin in you, and remember that even the faintest lustful imagination is tantamount to outright adultery, God will judge with the same severity that you have judged me, me and all my brothers and sisters.
It's pretty clear that this is a false. You have simply given it the Jaguar Prince interpretation and we all know that your intepretations are based on what feels good to you. That doesn't cut it. Give God enough respect to search the meaning that He gives scripture.

If Jesus meant that nobody is to judge unless they are perfect, why would He say "then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye"? (Matthew 7:5) It's obvious that we will never be perfect so why would he tell us the particular point and time when this would be ok for us do so? Christ says don't judge hypocritically. I cannot judge you for being a homo if I myself am one as well. I cannot judge you for not accepting Christ if I have not accepted Him. But if those things do not apply to me then it is my responsibility to carry out Ephesians 5:11 and 1Timothy which cannot be done unless one makes a judgment as to who God says should be exposed.

[/QUOTE]

And don't dredge up some quote that says that we should denounce evil. One quote by Paul doesn't cancel out a whole string of quotes by Jesus and John.

What makes you think that what Paul says about exposing evil cancels out what Jesus said? Since Jesus didn't have a problem with judging as long as it wasn't done hypocritically, I don't see the conflict with what Paul has to say about evil being exposed. They fit together rather nicely.

jaguar_prince

I agree, repentant homos go to heaven! :thumb:
Are you repentant?
Clete

And you? Are you repentant of your own sins?

Or do you tell God every evening before going to bed:

God my beloved daddy
I deeply regret having offended you because
I got angry at my secretary and called her an idiot,
I drank too much Cognac at my son's birthday party
Etc., etc.

(Think of at least seven sins since your Bible says that even the just man sins seven times a day. )

And then you go on to say:

Shower me with the precious blood of your son
-hot or cold doesn't matter-
so that I may be pure in your eyes

Thereupon you conclude by saying:

Thank you God for your tender mercies!
You are my God!

And repeat the same little game the following day.

All the days of your life...

When will you repent, if at all ?

jaguar_prince

Originally posted by Poly

If I'm mistaken about you being a Calvinist then I apologize. I was going by what I read

So you're ok with judging and you're not ok with Calvinism.

I am ok with a judging which is free of hate. A doctor (and we know that Jesus portrayed himself as a doctor) does not yell at his patients when they do something wrong. A doctor tells patiently the fat man or woman that he or she shouldn't eat so much ice-cream and apple pie, otherwise he or she will have a heart attack sooner or later. Does a doctor hate the patient who relapses? Does the doctor hate gluttony ? Does the doctor get all worked up when he sees his patient eating a gorgeous chocolate and vanilla ice-cream at the neighboorhood bakery?

Too bad that somebody so smart in these areas isn't smart enough to see that being a homo is wrong.

Too bad that you aren't smart enough to give me a credible reason for considering homosexuality an abominable sin other than appeal to the authority of two verses in a Jewish legal code written in the fifth century BC and two or three verses in Paul, a man who is not free from error and prejudice.

Homosexuality is widespread in the animal kingdom. So the Paulinian argument that homosexuality is para phusin (against nature) is simply false.

Apparently God loves diversity.

:confused: Are you suggesting that one can't agree with what is scriptural about a doctrine and disagree with what is not? There are lots of doctrines out there. Some are based on scripture. Some only partly based on scripture. The Reformation speaks loudly of works not being a part of salvation. This is scriptural so I have no problem with this. Yes, the Reformation has been linked to Calvinism which I do reject because it is not scriptural.

My dear Virginia, if you ditch predestination, you have to ditch lots of other things too: total depravity, divine omnipotence, sola fide and sola gratia, etc., etc. All these things go together.

Exactly! In light of Romans 12:9,
Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good.

In light of Romans 1, 18-20

Do you recognize that God revealed himself to all the pagan nations outside the special revelation to Isreal through Moses and Jesus?

This is what the three verses that precede Paul's condemnation of homosexual orgies clearly teach. Do you admit that there is such a thing as a cosmic revelation available to all wise men of all times ? In other words, are you willing because of what Paul says in Romans 1 to cast overboard the old wretched sola scriptura spinster and have her devoured by the Red Sea sharks?

I would be a hypocrite if I held people's hand on their way to hell, preaching only "God is love and He loves you just the way you are." It's pretty hateful to not warn those who are about to be destroyed.

You are absolutely right when you tell people: "Look, don't do that. It's wrong." You have a perfect right to say so. You have a perfect right to tell your own little son not to drink vitriol. But you are wrong when you do it with hate and contempt for the people who sin. A doctor who scolds his patients is using a strategy that is not only counterproductive, but also harmful. By your strident denunciations of homosexuality you are hardening homos in their sins while instilling in them a deep hate for religion in general.

So in your search for goodness you are right to be pure like a dove but you err fatally when, instead of being cunning like a snake, you act like an elephant in a China shop.

By the way why don't doctors get very emotional when they find that their patients sin against the rules of healthy living?

Who are you to pick and choose only the verses that are pleasing to you? You can't choose to overlook:

Ephesians 5:11
And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them.

1Timothy 5:20
Those who are sinning rebuke in the presence of all, that the rest also may fear.

And what about you dear? Aren't you picking and choosing?

In fact, to pick and choose is sometimes a sign of intelligence and discernment, for in the Bible not everything applies to everybody. Otherwise why are you not a wandering Fransciscan monk without any property? Isn't it because you decided to discard what Jesus said to the rich man about selling everything to the poor and following him?

And how can you refrain from picking and choosing when you discover that Jesus ascended to heaven in the Galilee according to Matthew and Mark and from Bethany near Jerusalem in "John" and Luke ? Did Jesus bilocate?

I know the verses you have quoted, but first of all you need to prove that Paul intended his hearers to rebuke people who were outside the communities that he had founded. Did Paul want his disciples to go around blaming the pagans for their homosexual and other deviant practices?

Obviously not, that would have landed the fledgling Christian communities into a lot of trouble.

Second, I could show you several verses in Paul which state exactly the contrary of what he says in the two quotes above, namely that Christians should refrain from all judgment.

So instead of playing a kind of Biblical ping-pong game and hurling quotes indiscriminately at my head, please show me how the quotes you have cited harmonize with the numerous passages in the Bible which say unambiguously that we should refrain from judgment under pain of being severely judged ourselves.

It's pretty clear that this is a false. You have simply given it the Jaguar Prince interpretation and we all know that your intepretations are based on what feels good to you. That doesn't cut it. Give God enough respect to search the meaning that He gives scripture.

So are you assuming that you can read God's mind? Prove that your interpretation is the only plausible one.

If Jesus meant that nobody is to judge unless they are perfect, why would He say "then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye"? (Matthew 7:5) It's obvious that we will never be perfect so why would he tell us the particular point and time when this would be ok for us do so? Christ says don't judge hypocritically.

How do you know that it is impossible to be perfect? Is that not a doctrinal remnant of your Calvinistic upbringing? Jesus told us to be perfect like the Father. Would Jesus have commanded us to be perfect if it were impossible?

It is possible to be perfect but you are never going to be perfect unless you stop judging people here and now.

Note that the tendency to judge is considered by Jesus to be a major sin, perhap even the sin par excellence since all other sins in comparison are just "specks". Have you refllected seriously on this little scriptural detail?

I cannot judge you for being a homo if I myself am one as well. I cannot judge you for not accepting Christ if I have not accepted Him. But if those things do not apply to me then it is my responsibility to carry out Ephesians 5:11 and 1Timothy which cannot be done unless one makes a judgment as to who God says should be exposed.

Don't waste your time judging someone who is not your neighbor. Take care of yourself first. Use all your energy trying to apply in your life Jesus' commandment to be perfect and not to judge. If you sincerely try to understand what it means to refrain from all judgment instead of inventing pretexts for not listening to Jesus (for that is what you are doing in the name of common sense), God will enlighten you.

Once you are free from all judgment, God will give you a new wisdom which will enable you to heal people by your judgments instead of murdering them. Maybe you will be telling people the same things that you are telling them now but it will be fundamentally different because you will not be the same person anymore.

You will be another Christ. That is the meaning of the word "Christian".

What makes you think that what Paul says about exposing evil cancels out what Jesus said? Since Jesus didn't have a problem with judging as long as it wasn't done hypocritically, I don't see the conflict with what Paul has to say about evil being exposed. They fit together rather nicely.

What does it mean to judge hypocritically?

It means to judge when one is living in sin. A guilty person cannot judge another guilty person. Only God or a sinless person can be a judge (and the good news is that the father judges nobody. Yes, yes, Jesus said it !)

Now let me ask you:

Are you totally, irrevocably sinless?

No you aren't. In fact, according to your warped theology, it is even impossible to be sinless.

Therefore please be consistent, refrain from judgment.

Let there be the sound of silence. Silence heals. Noise is detrimental to physical and mental health.

Your present ego-ridden judgments are noise.

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

And you? Are you repentant of your own sins?

Or do you tell God every evening before going to bed:

God my beloved daddy
I deeply regret having offended you because
I got angry at my secretary and called her an idiot,
I drank too much Cognac at my son's birthday party
Etc., etc.

(Think of at least seven sins since your Bible says that even the just man sins seven times a day. )

And then you go on to say:

Shower me with the precious blood of your son
-hot or cold doesn't matter-
so that I may be pure in your eyes

Thereupon you conclude by saying:

Thank you God for your tender mercies!
You are my God!

And repeat the same little game the following day.

All the days of your life...

When will you repent, if at all ?

The typical Chrsitian might spew out this sort of nonsense (except for the blasphemous parts) but I do not.
It's not that I WILL BE forgiven if..., it's I HAVE BEEN forgiven because...
Further, you seem to equate all sins as being the same. They are not. Being a homo is not only a sin, it is a crime, a capital one at that!

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

jaguar_prince

All sins are the same.

What is the essence of sin ?

Pleasure-seeking outside of God.

In other words, if you listen to some beautiful music and enjoy it without perceiving God in it, you are sinning.

If you make love to your legitimate wife and enjoy her without finding God in her, you are sinning just as the three homos nextdoor who are having an orgy are sinning.

Until you cannot find God in everything you do and perceive, you are living a life of sin.

Your whole life from morning till evening is sin.

Sin originally meant to miss the mark. The mark is God.

Striving to know him (how preposterous to claim to be resting in God !),

Jp

God_Is_Truth

The typical Chrsitian might spew out this sort of nonsense (except for the blasphemous parts) but I do not.
It's not that I WILL BE forgiven if..., it's I HAVE BEEN forgiven because...
Further, you seem to equate all sins as being the same. They are not. Being a homo is not only a sin, it is a crime, a capital one at that!

Resting in Him,
Clete

exactly! it's not that you will be found innocent before God, it's that you already have! and NOTHING can change that.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

All sins are the same.
No
What is the essence of sin ?
Behaviour that leads to distruction.
Pleasure-seeking outside of God.

In other words, if you listen to some beautiful music and enjoy it without perceiving God in it, you are sinning.
Perceiving God when you listen to music is good but not doing so is not the same as killing six million Jews.
If you make love to your legitimate wife and enjoy her without finding God in her, you are sinning just as the three homos nextdoor who are having an orgy are sinning.
You are so nasty!
Until you cannot find God in everything you do and perceive, you are living a life of sin.
Your whole life from morning till evening is sin.
Just the part that is not focused on God.
Sin originally meant to miss the mark. The mark is God.
Yes the mark is God
Striving to know him (how preposterous to claim to be resting in God !),

Jp
Unless you are resting in him!

Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

Mat 11:30 For my yoke [is] easy, and my burden is light.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Striving to know him (how preposterous to claim to be resting in God !)

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written:

"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
And bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent."*

20 Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the disputer of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For since, in the wisdom of God, the world through wisdom did not know God, it pleased God through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

Resting in Him,
Clete