Cops took more stuff from people than burglars did last year

Tinark

Spoiler
imrs.php

Here's an interesting factoid about contemporary policing: In 2014, for the first time ever, law enforcement officers took more property from American citizens than burglars did. Martin Armstrong pointed this out at his blog, Armstrong Economics, last week.

Cops can take cash and property from people without convicting or even charging them with a crime -- yes, really! -- through the highly controversial practice known as civil asset forfeiture. Last year, according to the Institute for Justice, the Treasury and Justice departments deposited more than $5 billion into their respective asset forfeiture funds. That same year, the FBI reports that burglary losses topped out at $3.5 billion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tuff-from-people-than-burglars-did-last-year/

bybee

Then you've no problem with wealth redistribution via taxes under the similar rubric: "They didn't need it that much Tim."?

It already exists! No sense getting worked up when one is powerless to effect change. I am being taxed out of my home so that ever more benefits may be made available to those who pay no taxes.
That is not wealth redistribution. That is theft!
And since resources are finite, soon, those of us who pay taxes will be bled dry. Then what?

PureX

It already exists! No sense getting worked up when one is powerless to effect change. I am being taxed out of my home so that ever more benefits may be made available to those who pay no taxes.
And since resources are finite, soon, those of us who pay taxes will be bled dry. Then what?
Well, if you would make your government tax the wealthy, as it should be doing, it wouldn't be taxing you out of your home. But for some insane reason, you keep voting for politicians who protect the wealthy, at your expense, and so the wealthy pay fewer taxes than your do even though they have a lot more money. While you keep whining about the poor, who can't pay taxes regardless because they have no money. Your anger is wildly misplaced, but you just WILL NOT GIVE IT UP for anything. So the wealthy continue to skate on their taxes, while the poor continue to have no money, regardless, and there you are in the middle paying the freight for everything. And it's your own damn fault, because you just keep on voting for the people who are doing it to you.

quip

BANNED
Banned

Do you believe seizure and forfiture laws to be just, a necessary function of the local, state and federal police agencies?

bybee

Do you believe seizure and forfiture laws to be just, a necessary function of the local, state and federal police agencies?

I do not know if they are just? Necessary?
It is claimed that the "greater good" is being served.
If we live in community we must expect some personal discomfort.
But in America, we are hag-ridden with laws and rubrics attached to laws.

bybee

Well, if you would make your government tax the wealthy, as it should be doing, it wouldn't be taxing you out of your home. But for some insane reason, you keep voting for politicians who protect the wealthy, at your expense, and so the wealthy pay fewer taxes than your do even though they have a lot more money. While you keep whining about the poor, who can't pay taxes regardless because they have no money. Your anger is wildly misplaced, but you just WILL NOT GIVE IT UP for anything. So the wealthy continue to skate on their taxes, while the poor continue to have no money, regardless, and there you are in the middle paying the freight for everything. And it's your own damn fault, because you just keep on voting for the people who are doing it to you.

You don't know how I vote. Nothing changes no matter the side of the aisle in control. Once a person is elected to congress they proceed to become millionaires without a conscience and amnesia sets in.
The last politician I trusted was Paul Wellstone. Now I somewhat trust Amy Klobuchar.

PureX

You don't know how I vote. Nothing changes no matter the side of the aisle in control.
I understand. And I wasn't referring to any particular side of the isle, necessarily. Though we both know (or should know) that the republican party serves the rich, exclusively. Their one and only party prerogative seems to be to NEVER tax the rich. They even sign promises to that effect.

brewmama

Why do you perpetuate lies like this, when the top earners pay far more than everyone else?

The top one percent of income earners, who paid 38 percent of federal income taxes, faced an effective tax rate of 23 percent. This was nearly seven times higher than the effective rate of 3 percent paid by the bottom half of income earners. The bottom half of income earners paid only 3 percent of federal income taxes and earned 11 percent of total adjusted gross income.

Do the rich really not pay their fair share?

"As the graphic below shows, the top half of income earners paid 97 percent of all federal income taxes in 2012."

Capture_19.JPG

Is it because you are just ideologically ignorant, or do you just lie outright knowingly?

bybee

Why do you perpetuate lies like this, when the top earners pay far more than everyone else?

The top one percent of income earners, who paid 38 percent of federal income taxes, faced an effective tax rate of 23 percent. This was nearly seven times higher than the effective rate of 3 percent paid by the bottom half of income earners. The bottom half of income earners paid only 3 percent of federal income taxes and earned 11 percent of total adjusted gross income.

"As the graphic below shows, the top half of income earners paid 97 percent of all federal income taxes in 2012."

Capture_19.JPG

Is it because you are just ideologically ignorant, or do you just lie outright knowingly?

It is seemingly impossible to break through a victim mentality which is coupled with an entitlement belief.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Capture_19.JPG

So that shows that the wealthy pay the taxes. The poor only amounts to 2.8 percent. So why tax the poor at all, that 2.8 could be added to the top 50 % and it wouldn't hurt them a bit. Just 2.8 spread across the top 50 percent and the poor wouldn't be so poor. No income tax for the poor, now there's an idea I can get behind.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

Capture_19.JPG

purex is the problem
and
there are too many like him

Selaphiel

That needs to be supplemented by the fact that the ~top 20% of the populus in the US owns ~93% of the financial wealth. Considering that, their tax contribution is not that impressive.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
That needs to be supplemented by the fact that the ~top 20% of the populus in the US owns ~93% of the financial wealth. Considering that, their tax contribution is not that impressive.

they create wealth
and
poor people get jobs