Cub Reporters 2017

Lon

Anyway, I suspect nearly everyone who makes a report feels justified. I cull the spam bot reports, but the rest is fair game.
Might be worth looking at the difference between action and inaction by mods.... As far a this thread, I never 'want' to win, but if I win, I win. If it comes with a cash-cup, all the better. :deadhorse: (why is the only horse icon on here, a dead one?)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Might be worth looking at the difference between action and inaction by mods....
I would, but it's beside the point, which is to give everyone a window into who is doing how much of the reporting, to offer an insight we might not consider otherwise. It's largely a "how do we handle our differences" bit. I'm not suggesting that there aren't reasons to go to the mods with a complaint and I'm sure, again, that most people feel justified.

I know I did when I would have led or been in contention for winning for a couple of years, at least. Then chrys got me to think about it and I decided I'd been wrong to put so much on the mods, that I could have as easily ignored or dealt with much of what I was reporting without involving them and saved formal protest for things of real substance. In short it made me realize that I was taking some people, including me, much more seriously than was reasonably warranted. I started the first Cub Reporter thread in part to keep myself mindful of my own habit.

It's one hope I have for this thread and why it's framed comically. :cheers: I'd say that if it bothers you, and it has moved you to post a few times on the point, perhaps there's something for you to reconsider as well.

Lon

I would, but it's beside the point, which is to give everyone a window into who is doing how much of the reporting, to offer an insight we might not consider otherwise. It's largely a "how do we handle our differences" bit. I'm not suggesting that there aren't reasons to go to the mods with a complaint and I'm sure, again, that most people feel justified.

I know I did when I would have led or been in contention for winning for a couple of years, at least. Then chrys got me to think about it and I decided I'd been wrong to put so much on the mods, that I could have as easily ignored or dealt with much of what I was reporting without involving them and saved formal protest for things of real substance. In short it made me realize that I was taking some people, including me, much more seriously than was reasonably warranted. I started the first Cub Reporter thread in part to keep myself mindful of my own habit.

It's one hope I have for this thread and why it's framed comically. :cheers: I'd say that if it bothers you, and it has moved you to post a few times on the point, perhaps there's something for you to reconsider as well.

Perhaps a bit of context, for the thread's sake:
1) Spambots. A few of these wins are about great reporting. I've seen Tam and Doser catch these often. I've never seen one. One day I saw about 5 spambots for watching some game or such all caught by Tam and Doser.

2) Profanity. Profanity is reported often on TOL and I think it should be. We are not exactly keeping our PG rating on TOL, but I think I'd rather struggle than to have censorship lost altogether. I just don't enjoy reading that sort of thing so hope many horses win that race.

3) Abusive behavior. I tend not to get too worked up if such is directed toward me, but then if I see the same guy/girl abusing another in the same manner, I know it is their problem and in order to keep the least amount of TOLers from the abuse, I report that behavior, either for an infraction, or simply a removal from thread.

4) Blasphemy. Most of these are actual TOL rules so I often cite the offenses and tend to get response, not because I am special, but because I've been a mod and tend to know what helps a forum run smoothly.

5) I use report sometimes as a way of getting mod attention and/or help, or even to just let mods know of something overall I happen to see, sort of like a neighborhood watch.

I think there are some genuine observations along the concern of this thread, when folks report someone out of anger, disgust, or frustration or other personal problems/reasons. I've seen that too so I think your thread a good one to call attention to such. If I ever win, I hope it is for serving the greater TOL community and not only my own interests. I'll wear that collar with pride that month. In Him -Lon

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I would, but it's beside the point

I agree mod action/inaction is beside the point of this thread, which I've enjoyed because the visual of the horse race gives me a chuckle. :chuckle:

However - there's no doubt that action/inaction is based in large part on who's doing the reporting. And I already know what would be said, this place has a bias, if you don't like it leave, yada yada yada. I get that. But when you move from the micro to the macro, it sure hits home how good it is that our country isn't a theocracy.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I agree mod action/inaction is beside the point of this thread, which I've enjoyed because the visual of the horse race gives me a chuckle. :chuckle:

However - there's no doubt that action/inaction is based in large part on who's doing the reporting. And I already know what would be said, this place has a bias, if you don't like it leave, yada yada yada. I get that. But when you move from the micro to the macro, it sure hits home how good it is that our country isn't a theocracy.

Agreed. :)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Race Report :singer:

Out of the first turn now and they're down the back stretch where an incredible rally has driven Truster into the lead as we pass the half way mark. It's Truster (11) out in front, Tam back three lengths (8) in second, Lon alongside in a real battle for the top three spots. Glory fades to fourth and just in the money a length back of the leaders (7) with must pulling even and PJ one back (6), very much in contention as the marginal leader of the trailing pack, where Nang (5) and GT (4) will need strong efforts to challenge for place out of the remaining turn.

What a race we have going in May!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
[FONT=&quot]Race Report[/FONT] :singer:

Down the backstretch and into the final turn and a surge by musterion (15) has put him in the lead! Truster (13) trails by two lengths, comfortably ahead of Lon (10), who holds onto third by two solid lengths as Tam (8) battles to place with Glory (8). Nang (6) has edged into contention, catching PJ (6) to lead the pack still struggling to challenge late.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

In a very late finish (sorry about that) and Musterion holds off all challengers to claim the win (18) keeping his two length lead on the challenger, Truster (16). A surprise surge by Angel and Glory draw them even in a three way tie with Lon (10) for third place and driving out any other show, including Tam whose late fade has betters (either) ripping tickets and littering the grounds.

May belongs to Musterion! :first:

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

A-n-d they're off! Out of the gate it's Truster and anna (6), opening the week at a blistering pace! Two lengths back it's Glory (4) with Lon and TH (that's me, folks!) (3) looking to challenge from the inside. AMR and last months champ, Must, are leading the rest of the pack and in contention early (2).

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Coming out of the first turn and it's Truster, glory, and anna shoulder to shoulder (6) with muster right at them and holding to place (5). A crowded field sits one length back, including Lon and a late surging me (4), PJ, AMR and dodge back another length (3) and a handful of fading nags starting to fall behind.

An exciting day at the races (no, Trad). :plain: