Did All Those Born Before Jesus Go To Hell ?

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
One thing I have never been able to understand about Christianity is what happened to all those born before Jesus . If God sent Jesus to "redeem " mankind 2,000 years ago , why did he do this at that particular time ?
There had already been countless people on earth who lived and died . But what happened to them ? Did they go a a place called hell, one which many Non-Christians, including myself , don't even believe in ? It wasn't their fault they were born before Jesus .

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
One thing I have never been able to understand about Christianity is what happened to all those born before Jesus . If God sent Jesus to "redeem " mankind 2,000 years ago , why did he do this at that particular time ?
There had already been countless people on earth who lived and died . But what happened to them ? Did they go a a place called hell, one which many Non-Christians, including myself , don't even believe in ? It wasn't their fault they were born before Jesus .

they went to hades until they were redeemed by Jesus

Revelation 20:5King James Version (KJV)

5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

Robert Pate

Banned

They believed God's promise of a savior and they were justified by faith. Just like Abraham, Romans 4:1-6.

1 Peter 3

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison.

Romans 2

11 For there is no respect of persons with God.
12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another)
16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

This is only an opinion, as there is nothing explicitly addressing this in scripture, and people have differeing views on 1 Peter 3:19, who was preached to, and when. I believe the Lord Jesus preached to those spirits who perished in the flood, perhaps a wider, likewise audience of those who never heard the gospel. Personally, I can't see the point of preaching to those without any hope of acting on that preaching. Also, in Romans 2, it's indicated that, in all our consciences, regardless ever hearing any scripture, we have thoughts that accuse and excuse, hence one must wonder what is excused, on what level? Again, this is just speculation and my opinion, but I believe those never availed the gospel may be offered the gospel as spirits, as it is not consisent a God willing that none should perish would condemn anybody, at least anybody of overall goodwill, for being born in a circumstance that deprives them of the gospel of Jesus Christ that saves. Again, this is just what I've always thought on this, and, whatever others may believe, the facts remain that God is righteous, just, loving and merciful, and, in whatever we don't understand, I trust the Lord to always do what is right, also knowing we all see through the glass darkly and are in no position, by virtue of our own limited knowledge and wisdom, to judge eternal, Holy God.

It is also a very academic point, not worth creating prejudice and strife over, when it is our position that we have the gospel of Jesus Christ, our business what we are going to do with that gospel, far removed from those who perished in the flood to have anything to do with this. This is solely God's business, not ours. For instance, your only pressing problem is what you're going to do with the saving blood of Jesus Christ, repent and accept Him as your Savior, or be condemned to hell, as, having the gospel available to you, you will surely have no excuses! So, if I were you, I'd worry more about myself and my eternity, than the dead that are really none of your concern.

Proverbs 3

1 My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:
2 For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.
3 Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:
4 So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man.
5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

Spitfire

The part about how Jesus "descended into hell" in the apostles creed refers to how Jesus went to open heaven to all of the faithful (who had been justified under the old law) who had been waiting in hell.

So, yes.

iamaberean

Rev 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
The Jews had the books of the law (Old Testament) that they were judged by.

Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
The sea often refers to Gentiles, and even though they did not have laws to obey, they were judged solely by their works.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Did they go a a place called hell, one which many Non-Christians, including myself , don't even believe in ?

You and George Carlin have this in common. Like George, you will beg for reconciliation after it is too late. The attributes of the invisible God are clearly seen. You are without excuse. Instead, you choose to worship pigs.

I really wish I didn't waste my time like I do with a :loser: like you.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You and George Carlin have this in common. Like George, you will beg for reconciliation after it is too late. The attributes of the invisible God are clearly seen. You are without excuse. Instead, you choose to worship pigs.

I really wish I didn't waste my time like I do with a :loser: like you.

Isa 65:5 Which say, Stand by thyself, come not near to me; for I am holier than thou. These are a smoke in my nose, a fire that burneth all the day.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Rom 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?
Rom 2:5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;
Rom 2:6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:
Rom 2:7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
Rom 2:8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
Rom 2:9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
Rom 2:10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:
Rom 2:11 For there is no respect of persons with God.
Rom 2:12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;

1Co 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
1Co 15:54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
1Co 15:55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
1Co 15:56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
1Co 15:57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Rom 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.
Rom 5:15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
Rom 5:16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.
Rom 5:17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)
Rom 5:18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
Rom 5:19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
Rom 5:20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:
Rom 5:21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

Rom 4:3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
Rom 4:4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
Rom 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
Rom 4:6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
Rom 4:7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
Rom 4:8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.
Rom 4:9 Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.
Rom 4:10 How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision.
Rom 4:11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:

Bradley D

No hell? Where is this place?

"For a fire will be kindled by my wrath, one that burns down to the realm of the dead below. It will devour the earth and its harvests and set afire the foundations of the mountains" (Deut. 32:22).

I believe others were in heaven prior to Jesus. Where is Enoch?

"Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away" (Gen. 5:24).

Where is Elijah?

"As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind" (2 Kings 2:11).

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
No hell? Where is this place?

"For a fire will be kindled by my wrath, one that burns down to the realm of the dead below. It will devour the earth and its harvests and set afire the foundations of the mountains" (Deut. 32:22).

"Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more, because God took him away" (Gen. 5:24).

Where is Elijah?

"As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind" (2 Kings 2:11).

Wherever Enoch is, or Moses and Elijah, they can not be where Jesus is--- yet

1Ti 6:14 That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:
1Ti 6:15 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;
1Ti 6:16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

LA

daqq

Where is Elijah?

But where is the heaven of which you speak? The translation of Enoch does not mean he was never seen again. No one thought that was what it meant in the old days or the book of Enoch would have never been accepted because just by the very fact that it was written implies that Enoch was sent back to write it after having been taken. Neither is "tasting death" the same as "seeing death" as Yeshua himself expounds in several passages which stipulate a difference between the two. We shall all taste of death but we shall not all "see" death. The author of Hebrews also makes clear that Enoch died, saying, "THESE ALL DIED IN FAITH, without having received the promises", which statement includes what was previously said of Enoch in the same passage:

Hebrews 11:5-13 KJV
5. By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.
*SNIP*
13. These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

In other words if you read the book of Enoch you are by default accepting that the author, who claims to be Enoch, is writing about what happened when he was "taken", (or hidden as he says). How then did he supposedly write the words if he never returned? Those of old therefore clearly did not believe Enoch was literally physically carried away into the sky, never to be seen again, not even the author of the epistle to the Hebrews in the above passage. As for Eliyahu he was commanded to anoint Jehu the son of Nimshi as king over Israel: did he do so as commanded or did he not? Who anointed Jehu as king of Israel? It was not even Elisha who did so. Tradition says it was the young man of the prophets whose name was Yonah, (the same Yonah the Prophet). Eliyahu is therefore the Spirit of the Prophets because if not then he did not carry out the command to anoint Jehu as king of Israel:

1 Kings 19:15-19 KJV
15. And the Lord said unto him, Go, return on thy way to the wilderness of Damascus: and when thou comest, anoint Hazael to be king over Syria:
16. And Jehu the son of Nimshi shalt thou anoint to be king over Israel: and Elisha the son of Shaphat of Abelmeholah shalt thou anoint to be prophet in thy room.
17. And it shall come to pass, that him that escapeth the sword of Hazael shall Jehu slay: and him that escapeth from the sword of Jehu shall Elisha slay.
18. Yet I have left me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him.
19. So he departed thence, and found Elisha the son of Shaphat, who was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen before him, and he with the twelfth: and Elijah passed by him, and cast his mantle upon him.

Eliyahu anoints Elisha and later the mantle of Eliyahu falls to Elisha, and he is given the double portion when Eliyahu is taken up in a whirlwind, but who anoints Jehu as king over Israel?

2 Kings 9:1-3 KJV
1. And Elisha the prophet called one of the children of the prophets, [Yonah] and said unto him, Gird up thy loins, and take this box of oil in thine hand, and go to Ramothgilead:
2. And when thou comest thither, look out there Jehu the son of Jehoshaphat the son of Nimshi, and go in, and make him arise up from among his brethren, and carry him to an inner chamber;
3. Then take the box of oil, and pour it on his head, and say, Thus saith the Lord, I have anointed thee king over Israel. Then open the door, and flee, and tarry not.

Therefore likewise Yochanan the Immerser can say that he is NOT Eliyahu because Eliyahu is the Spirit of the Prophets and the anointing of Eliyahu was upon him, (Luke 1:17) but he was not him. Simon Peter then having been a disciple of Yochanan could also be rightfully called Simon Bar-Yonah, (flesh and blood does not reveal such things). Truly, truly, the Master says, you must be born from above, that is, translated, like Enoch who walked with the Elohim. Perhaps in the eighth day one will consider it perfectly, (but there is an immersion to undergo). :)

oatmeal

What do you mean by "hell"?

What does scripture mean by "hell" or the Hebrew sheol and the Greek hades?