Does Calvinism limit God?

John Reformed

Originally posted by godrulz

The sheep are the Jews. The 'other sheep' are the Gentiles (not the North Americans like the Mormons teach).

You appear to me, my friend, to be dodging the issue.

His sheep are those Jews who are called the "children of the promise". The sheep that belong to the Good Shepherds other flock are "children of the promise" as well.

Rom 9:8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these [are] not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

Surely... you must see the distinction; Do you not?

This inarguable fact harmonizes perfectly with Mat 1:21...and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

I realize that this is a blow to synergistic salvation, but we must not sacrifice the hard truth for the sake of cherished (but flawed) doctrines.

God Bless,
John

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Clete: It would be helpful to us if you summarize Hill's argument in a few sentences (the conclusion of what the phrases mean). Most commentators see this as Jew/Gentile. It is presumptious to say we are both wrong. Hill/Enyart have a unique dispensationalism (The Plot) that has not been widely accepted or conclusively proven.

John: Refresh our memory on the concept of synergistic salvation. Is it the idea that there are 2 parties in a relationship and reconciliation involves initiatives from God and responses from man?

What is the opposite? Monergism?

John Reformed

John: Refresh our memory on the concept of synergistic salvation. Is it the idea that there are 2 parties in a relationship and reconciliation involves initiatives from God and responses from man?

What is the opposite? Monergism?

Yes to both questions.

Monergism (monergistic regeneration) is a redemptive blessing purchased by Christ for those the Father has given Him (1 Pet 1:3, John 6:37, 39). It conveys that power into the fallen soul whereby the person who is to be saved is effectually enabled to respond to the gospel call (John 1:13). It is that supernatural power of God alone whereby we are granted the spiritual ability to comply with the conditions of the covenant of grace; that is, to apprehend the Redeemer by a living faith, to come up to the terms of salvation, to repent of idols and to love God and the Mediator supremely. The Holy Spirit, in quickening the soul, mercifully capacitates and inclines God's elect to the spiritual exercise of faith in Jesus Christ. This process is the means by which the Spirit brings us into living union with Him.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
This sounds like somewhat of a moderate position.

If God is able to do this for the 'elect' independent of their will or desire, why would He not do it for all men making John 3:16 and other verses literally true (whoever believes; the world)?

I Jn. 2:2 "He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins (believer/elect), and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world."

John Reformed

This sounds like somewhat of a moderate position.

If God is able to do this for the 'elect' independent of their will or desire, why would He not do it for all men making John 3:16 and other verses literally true (whoever believes; the world)?

I Jn. 2:2 "He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins (believer/elect), and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world."

In the reformed view, those who believe, believe "willingly". They are not forced, coerced or bound to choose against their own will. The idea that man does not choose is foreign to mainline calvinism.

We see fallen mankind as bound by sin, and, having a disposition of the heart that is by nature absolutely opposed to God...The fact that the unregenerated heart is hard as "stone", and it's thoughts "continually wicked", it is obvious that such creatures will (of their own free will) unalterably choose evil.

Once set free by the work of the Holy Spirit, they have been made new creatures in Christ Jesus. Their new hearts of flesh enable them (for the first time) to choose spiritual good. This they do because the love of God has been shed abroad in their hearts and has become the motivating desire of their lives.

"I once was blind, but know I see".

John Reformed

Thoughts on the rest of the post (unlimited vs limited atonement)?

All camps limit the atonement. Synergists limit it to those who will believe, as do monergists. The debate is is really about why some believe while others do not believe.

I still have yet to meet anyone who said they actually refused the gospel because, although they believed it, they rejected it anyway. No...no one gives that answer. The answer which they do give is that they simply won't ,or, don't believe it period!

If I were to offer you a million dollars if you would simply believe that calvinists were right about unlimited atonement...you would not be able to collect the offer. Why? Because you can't believe and disbelieve something at the same time. 1 +1 = 2...but if you believe that arithmetic is a faulty system, you may suspect the answer is correct, but would remain uncertain.

In the examples above, I have tried to demonstrate just how powerless we really are.The resolution of these questions of belief must come from a source outside of ourselves. In the case of your coming to agree with calvinism... your ability to repent (turn around) must come by the enlightening of the Holy Spirit as you read and meditate on Scripture itself. Logic, philosophy etc. do not have the power to change your mind. That requires the spiritual power reserved to the Word of God. It always accomplishes that for which it was sent forth; It never returns to Him void.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Is the parable of the sower relevant? The soil seems to be a factor as well as the seed. The Word and Spirit are effective, but not irresistible. The light of the sun is constant and can melt wax or harden clay. Likewise, the Word and Spirit can break hearts or harden hearts depending on the receptivity of the hearer. The challenge is for those who have ears to hear what the Spirit is saying and to not willfully reject the light that God gives to men.

The failing is not with God, but with the stupidity and selfishness of man. Despite the perfect Garden, God was later grieved at how man had chosen death over life.

We agree that it is God who enlightens and draws people to Himself. We cannot save ourselves.

John Reformed

Is the parable of the sower relevant? The soil seems to be a factor as well as the seed. The Word and Spirit are effective, but not irresistible. The light of the sun is constant and can melt wax or harden clay. Likewise, the Word and Spirit can break hearts or harden hearts depending on the receptivity of the hearer. The challenge is for those who have ears to hear what the Spirit is saying and to not willfully reject the light that God gives to men.

The failing is not with God, but with the stupidity and selfishness of man. Despite the perfect Garden, God was later grieved at how man had chosen death over life.

We agree that it is God who enlightens and draws people to Himself. We cannot save ourselves.

You asked "Is the parable of the sower relevant?". Of course...The Word of the Lord is not merely relevant but revelatory... In my view, the stoney, shallow and thorny grounds are representative of those hard hearts that have not been cleared, tilled and weeded by the Holy Spirit. The good ground recieves the seed and produces a harvest because it has been prepared prior to sowing.

You said: "The light of the sun is constant and can melt wax or harden clay. Likewise, the Word and Spirit can break hearts or harden hearts depending on the receptivity of the hearer."

But the Bible says in Isa 55:11 "So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper [in the thing] whereto I sent it".

Isa. 55:11 is a powerfull statement. It is clear and so unambiguous, that it leaves the reader no way to misunderstand it's meaning. I would advise that you prayfully re-consider your interpretation of the parable with this verse in mind.

God Bless you,
John

LightSon

Originally posted by John Reformed

You asked "Is the parable of the sower relevant?". Of course...The Word of the Lord is not merely relevant but revelatory... In my view, the stoney, shallow and thorny grounds are representative of those hard hearts that have not been cleared, tilled and weeded by the Holy Spirit. The good ground recieves the seed and produces a harvest because it has been prepared prior to sowing.

You said: "The light of the sun is constant and can melt wax or harden clay. Likewise, the Word and Spirit can break hearts or harden hearts depending on the receptivity of the hearer."

But the Bible says in Isa 55:11 "So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper [in the thing] whereto I sent it".

Isa. 55:11 is a powerfull statement. It is clear and so unambiguous, that it leaves the reader no way to misunderstand it's meaning. I would advise that you prayfully re-consider your interpretation of the parable with this verse in mind.

God Bless you,
John

John,
I've had this question for some time and have posed it in various ways.

Calvinists hold that the work is 100% God's and 0% us, when it comes to faith, regeneration, justification and glorification. God does everything in the process from predestination through to our glorification.

If that is so, and if we have no part, then why the need for scripture? Why the repeated Biblical appeal to our heart and to our spirit? Why send missionaries to plead with the lost? If the process is all of God, then God could just zap the lost with His Spirit and grow Christians wherever He chooses. There would be no need to reveal His written word which certainly appears to be aimed at our ability to choose.

Over and over the scriptures appeal to our volition, which Calvinists minimize to the point of it (our volition) not needing to be there at all. I find that to be disturbing and a potential vitiation of the Calvinist paradigm.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Isaiah 55 is in a context of the future glory of Israel. It is an invitation to the thirsty to come: "Come ALL you who are thirsty...give ear and come to me...hear me, that your soul may live...seek the Lord while He may be found....call on Him while He is near...Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts...Let him turn to the Lord, and He will have mercy on him and to our God, for He will freely pardon...

This sounds like a universal invitation to respond to God. If we meet that condition, He will pardon.

When God sends out His Word it will be effective. e.g. If he prophecies something, He will bring it to pass by His ability (Is. 46). This one verse, in context, is not making a case for God meticulously controlling everything nor is it a treatise on election, predestination, foreknowledge, etc. It does not negate the other verses that show the Gospel being preached (this is His word to a dying humanity) with varying responses: some repented and believed, some mocked, some procrastinated and continued to ponder it (Acts 17:32-34 different responses to the Word of God related to the resurrection of Christ...did His Word return empty? or is your proof text in Is. 55 to be interpreted apart from issues of election and limited atonement...the context supports a call for whosoever is thirsty and willing to seek Him, not just the 'predestined elect').

Is. 56 is about the salvation of foreigners...it does not mean that every non-Jew will be saved because the Word will not return empty (?).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
The Gospel is the power of God for the salvation of all who believe (Jew and Gentile). The Holy Spirit, through the Word, uses ambassadors for Christ to appeal as dying men to dying men. The Gospel persuades men to jettison their stupid, selfish rebellion and yield to the work of the Spirit (Rom. 1; I Cor. 1).

Reconciliation=relationship=salvation....this is not unilateral. God provides the grounds of salvation, but man fulfills the conditions of salvation with God's enablement. God alone gets the glory.

The Gospel is preached with love, power, and authority affecting the mind, moving the will, with emotions following. It is not a passive zapping by God for the lucky few.

John Reformed

Originally posted by LightSon

John,
I've had this question for some time and have posed it in various ways.

Calvinists hold that the work is 100% God's and 0% us, when it comes to faith, regeneration, justification and glorification. God does everything in the process from predestination through to our glorification.

If that is so, and if we have no part, then why the need for scripture? Why the repeated Biblical appeal to our heart and to our spirit? Why send missionaries to plead with the lost? If the process is all of God, then God could just zap the lost with His Spirit and grow Christians wherever He chooses. There would be no need to reveal His written word which certainly appears to be aimed at our ability to choose.

Over and over the scriptures appeal to our volition, which Calvinists minimize to the point of it (our volition) not needing to be there at all. I find that to be disturbing and a potential vitiation of the Calvinist paradigm.

What are your thoughts?

I am afraid that you are confusing calvinism with an obnoxious distortion called hyper-calvinism. Historic calvinism has always stressed the "responsiblity of man" as well as the "sovereignty of man". We have done so because the Bible teaches both doctrines.

Please take the time to consider the scriptural foundation upon which our docrtines are laid.

WCF Chapter 3
God’s Eternal Decree

1. God, from all eternity, did—by the most wise and holy counsel of his own will—freely and unchangeably ordain whatever comes to pass.

Ephesians 1:11. In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will. Romans 11:33. O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! Hebrews 6:17. Wherein God, willing more abundantly to show unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath. Romans 9:15, 18. For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.... Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

...Yet he ordered all things in such a way that he is not the author of sin,

James 1:13, 17. Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. 1 John 1:5. This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

nor does he force his creatures to act against their wills; neither is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established.

Acts 2:23. Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain. Matthew 17:12. But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them. Acts 4:27-28. For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together, For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done. John 19:11. Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin. Proverbs 16:33. The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the LORD.

John Reformed

Isaiah 55 is in a context of the future glory of Israel. It is an invitation to the thirsty to come: "Come ALL you who are thirsty...give ear and come to me...hear me, that your soul may live...seek the Lord while He may be found....call on Him while He is near...Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts...Let him turn to the Lord, and He will have mercy on him and to our God, for He will freely pardon...This sounds like a universal invitation to respond to God. If we meet that condition, He will pardon.

Certainly the gospel is a universal call and God's Word is to proclaimed to all nations. But you stumble over your pre-supposition that it is God's will that all men be saved. If that were so...then, according to Isa. 55:11, they all would be, if indeed it was in accordance with "His good pleasure". We are not saved because of what we are. If that were the case, only those who were already disposed to repentance would repent. But the Bible teaches that repentance is granted by God and is an evidence of the work of the Holy Spirit.

When God sends out His Word it will be effective. e.g. If he prophecies something, He will bring it to pass by His ability (Is. 46). This one verse, in context, is not making a case for God meticulously controlling everything nor is it a treatise on election, predestination, foreknowledge, etc. It does not negate the other verses that show the Gospel being preached (this is His word to a dying humanity) with varying responses: some repented and believed, some mocked, some procrastinated and continued to ponder it (Acts 17:32-34 different responses to the Word of God related to the resurrection of Christ...did His Word return empty? or is your proof text in Is. 55 to be interpreted apart from issues of election and limited atonement...the context supports a call for whosoever is thirsty and willing to seek Him, not just the 'predestined elect').

Prove that Isa 55:11 is not a didactic teaching about the nature of God Himself! How is it limited to Isaiah only? PROOF TEXT? PHOOEY!

John Reformed

The Gospel is the power of God for the salvation of all who believe (Jew and Gentile). The Holy Spirit, through the Word, uses ambassadors for Christ to appeal as dying men to dying men. The Gospel persuades men to jettison their stupid, selfish rebellion and yield to the work of the Spirit (Rom. 1; I Cor. 1).

So...some are persuaded...the rest are not persuaded? Some are disposed..the rest are not disposed? We must, then, conclude that some are just morally better people than others.

Laying this issue aside, how are we to reconcile your position with Scripture.

1 Corinthians 2:6-16

And I, brethren, when I came to you, did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling. 4 And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

However, we speak wisdom among those who are mature, yet not the wisdom of this age, nor of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing. But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory, 8 which none of the rulers of this age knew; for had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. But as it is written:

"Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man The things which God has prepared for those who love Him."

But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God. These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. For "who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?" But we have the mind of Christ..

lee_merrill

Hi everyone,

Lightson: Calvinists hold that the work is 100% God's and 0% us, when it comes to faith, regeneration, justification and glorification. God does everything in the process from predestination through to our glorification.

John: I am afraid that you are confusing calvinism with an obnoxious distortion called hyper-calvinism. Historic calvinism has always stressed the "responsiblity of man" as well as the "sovereignty of man". We have done so because the Bible teaches both doctrines.

Yes, men are responsible, I agree! And I also agree that God is sovereign. But I think hyper-calvinism would also agree to both of these points.

I think, if I may give my 2c here, that God wants to do most things in a process. He's patient! And he likes to develop plants from seeds, and use minerals and water and sunshine in the process. We like to use the microwave, and call up Postal Instant Press, but God doesn't!

So God uses the gospel message, and sends people, and involves believers, and their prayers, and their testimonies, and the Scriptures, in saving people, in growing them, and this is all a process. God likes processes, and likes bringing in many contributions to bring about a development. It's the way he set up the world...

Jas 5:7 See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains.

Blessings,
Lee

John Reformed

Originally posted by lee_merrill

Hi everyone,

Yes, men are responsible, I agree! And I also agree that God is sovereign. But I think hyper-calvinism would also agree to both of these points.

I think, if I may give my 2c here, that God wants to do most things in a process. He's patient! And he likes to develop plants from seeds, and use minerals and water and sunshine in the process. We like to use the microwave, and call up Postal Instant Press, but God doesn't!

So God uses the gospel message, and sends people, and involves believers, and their prayers, and their testimonies, and the Scriptures, in saving people, in growing them, and this is all a process. God likes processes, and likes bringing in many contributions to bring about a development. It's the way he set up the world...

Jas 5:7 See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains.

Blessings,
Lee

From a popular theological dictionary:

1. [Hyper-Calvinism] is a system of theology framed to exalt the honour and glory of God and does so by acutely minimizing the moral and spiritual responsibility of sinners . . . It emphasizes irresistible grace to such an extent that there appears to be no real need to evangelize; furthermore, Christ may be offered only to the elect. . . .
2. It is that school of supralapsarian 'five-point' Calvinism [n.b.—a school of supralapsarianism, not supralapsarianism in general] which so stresses the sovereignty of God by over-emphasizing the secret over the revealed will of God and eternity over time, that it minimizes the responsibility of sinners, notably with respect to the denial of the use of the word "offer" in relation to the preaching of the gospel; thus it undermines the universal duty of sinners to believe savingly in the Lord Jesus with the assurance that Christ actually died for them; and it encourages introspection in the search to know whether or not one is elect. [Peter Toon, "Hyper-Calvinism," New Dictionary of Theology (Leicester: IVP, 1988), 324.]

Hi Lee,

I must stress that the distinction between the two theologies is significant. All too often orthodox Reformed christians are tarred with same brush as Hyper- (I would say Anti-) calvinists.

lee_merrill

Hi John,

Well, I guess that shows I am no theologian. I am surprised that they would say men are not responsible to believe. I would be even more surprised (that's an understatement!) if they said men are not responsible for their sinning. I expect they don't believe that, though...

Blessings,
Lee

LightSon

Originally posted by lee_merrill

Hi Lee,

That all sounds fine; I wonder how much stock I should put in your analysis that "God likes to use process."

Shall I infer that you are responding to my facetious poser that "God could just zap the lost with His Spirit and grow Christians wherever He chooses"???

How much process did God use when He formed Adam from the dust of the ground? :think: Not to be insulting ;), but if God was overly beholden to processes of Earth, Wind and Fire, perhaps He wouldn't have zapped Adam into existence(as a literal Genesis interpretation indicates), but would have developed (via process) Adam into manhood over a couple a billion years. :freak: As a YEC, I hope you will appreciate how hard it was for me to pose that little gem (of foolishness).