Guns - The Second Round

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I am looking at getting into mounted shooting. I will need two guns that are required to be, ".45 Colt caliber, designed prior to 1898, or reproductions thereof." I don't currently own guns so I am looking for any advice you may have with guns for quick draw. You can see in the video that the contestants have to change guns half way through the run so I need something that you can fast draw yet with a barrel long enough to be reasonably accurate.

Mounted Shooting

BY the way Chrys, this is an awesome thread title!

I am looking at getting into mounted shooting. I will need two guns that are required to be, ".45 Colt caliber, designed prior to 1898, or reproductions thereof." I don't currently own guns so I am looking for any advice you may have with guns for quick draw. You can see in the video that the contestants have to change guns half way through the run so I need something that you can fast draw yet with a barrel long enough to be reasonably accurate.

Mounted Shooting

The Italian made replicas of the 1873 Colt SAA in .45 LC are rather good. I don't have one but I believe Cimmaron imports some good examples, especially the Model P.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
You don't own any guns at all and you want to go straight to mounted quick draw shooting?
Gotta start someplace! It will be a training process. Train the horse to the gun fire, ear plugs and the course. Train myself to care for guns and how to shoot. Then start bringing everything together. It may take a couple of years but it will be a rewarding path to follow.

THall

I am looking at getting into mounted shooting. I will need two guns that are required to be, ".45 Colt caliber, designed prior to 1898, or reproductions thereof." I don't currently own guns so I am looking for any advice you may have with guns for quick draw.

I have several friends
that compete with the
Ruger New Vaquero.
They are very happy
with their performance.

Call Rockwell Saddles,
they had them in stock
a few weeks ago and their
price is great.

Gotta start someplace! It will be a training process. Train the horse to the gun fire, ear plugs and the course. Train myself to care for guns and how to shoot. Then start bringing everything together. It may take a couple of years but it will be a rewarding path to follow.
Before investing in Ruger's offering, make certain it qualifies as pistol made before 1898. I don't believe it will.

THall

Competitors use the
New Vaquero in competitions
all over the U.S. for the
horseback balloon shoots,
I would bet in most associations
it is legal. It is the design that
qualifies it, not the manufacture
date.

Competitors use the
New Vaquero in competitions
all over the U.S. for the
horseback balloon shoots,
I would bet in most associations
it is legal. It is the design that
qualifies it, not the manufacture
date.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. The Ruger's transfer bar safety may disqualify it. But because it's made in the USA, I guess some people will give it a pass because it looks sorta like an 1873 SAA.

whitestone

Mounted Shooting

strange question but have you shot a pistol while you were riding your horse?(I like the vaquero),but you are learning which pistol and how to find the best one at a target. In the competition your horse is (1/4 the equation),,,sit on your horse,ride up to a target and fire at it and watch how the horse reacts.,,,you said you will fire blanks,are they wax?(they'll splatter at the horse),,,past that I would go first to one of the competitions,,,find where they are having conversations on the internet,,and shop for one of their (used guns first). If you do then you can look up that gun and find out why their selling it ,,eg too loud for the horse,costly repairs,malfunction ect.

so the just of it is first is look at your horse,,(are you prepared to buy another horse if this one wont work?),,,who cares what pistol you get(get the one they are all looking for/they know),,,past that it is like math,horse,tack,pistol,human being,,,none of them will win without the other.

whitestone

have you ever shot a pistol from a flinching horse?,,,eg. you are at full,you reach to grab the pistol(horse is intelligent and seances the loud noise about to happen),,you squeeze,horse has flinched,since you aimed and the horse stalled you fire about four inches in front of the target.,,,,,,as time goes on the horse gets used to the fact that when he feels you drawing your pistol and then the big noise that it didn't hurt him he begins to ease up from the fear and you can hit the target.,,lol,Then the horse is completely convinced that you going through the motions while you are on his back are not going to hurt him and he will stop flinching,,and you will miss by 2 inches behind the target,then three,then four,,,then you'll realize that you are a good shot and the horse works and you will take dead aim,,and you will win,,,and that the horse and the tack and the pistol were training you,,,lol,and you'll be glad they didn't sell you and buy another,lol

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I have several friends
that compete with the
Ruger New Vaquero.
They are very happy
with their performance.

Call Rockwell Saddles,
they had them in stock
a few weeks ago and their
price is great.

That's good to know. I found that web site but spending that much money over the net without knowing the companies always makes me nervous.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
strange question but have you shot a pistol while you were riding your horse?(I like the vaquero),but you are learning which pistol and how to find the best one at a target. In the competition your horse is (1/4 the equation),,,sit on your horse,ride up to a target and fire at it and watch how the horse reacts.,,,you said you will fire blanks,are they wax?(they'll splatter at the horse),,,past that I would go first to one of the competitions,,,find where they are having conversations on the internet,,and shop for one of their (used guns first). If you do then you can look up that gun and find out why their selling it ,,eg too loud for the horse,costly repairs,malfunction ect.

so the just of it is first is look at your horse,,(are you prepared to buy another horse if this one wont work?),,,who cares what pistol you get(get the one they are all looking for/they know),,,past that it is like math,horse,tack,pistol,human being,,,none of them will win without the other.

have you ever shot a pistol from a flinching horse?,,,eg. you are at full,you reach to grab the pistol(horse is intelligent and seances the loud noise about to happen),,you squeeze,horse has flinched,since you aimed and the horse stalled you fire about four inches in front of the target.,,,,,,as time goes on the horse gets used to the fact that when he feels you drawing your pistol and then the big noise that it didn't hurt him he begins to ease up from the fear and you can hit the target.,,lol,Then the horse is completely convinced that you going through the motions while you are on his back are not going to hurt him and he will stop flinching,,and you will miss by 2 inches behind the target,then three,then four,,,then you'll realize that you are a good shot and the horse works and you will take dead aim,,and you will win,,,and that the horse and the tack and the pistol were training you,,,lol,and you'll be glad they didn't sell you and buy another,lol

Yes, there is a lot of work to do both on the horse and on me. That's where I was tonight, working on the horse. I have a good friend who is into Cowboy Shooting. A little different but similar enough that they have invited me over to check out their guns and holsters.

The work has begun!

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Yah, start by owning a gun and getting use to it before you go pretending to be the Lone Ranger and killing yourself.

I've owned guns my whole life and I would not be comfortable shooting one off of a horse.

Yes, that will be a big part of the training. There is no pretending any thing, there is learning to do all the required parts correctly and safely. One of the things that is attractive about this sport is that it uses blanks instead of live rounds. You still treat he gun as loaded with live rounds and follow all the proper safety, but while training, there is no slug to go astray.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
That's exactly what I'm talking about. The Ruger's transfer bar safety may disqualify it. But because it's made in the USA, I guess some people will give it a pass because it looks sorta like an 1873 SAA.

From what I have read in the rule book, the new version of the gun is accepted in competitions.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't know how one goes about it now, but I used to 'throw' my horses by tying the right front leg up and pulling their head around to the left with a rope pulley tied to their side.
They would fall right over on soft dirt.
Then I would rattle paper, open and close an umbrella around them and over their head, ring bells, and shoot guns.
When they would try to get up I'd just pull their head around towards the back and they would go back down.
No harm to them at all.
After all of that they wouldn't startle at anything.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I don't know how one goes about it now, but I used to 'throw' my horses by tying the right front leg up and pulling their head around to the left with a rope pulley tied to their side.
They would fall right over on soft dirt.
Then I would rattle paper, open and close an umbrella around them and over their head, ring bells, and shoot guns.
When they would try to get up I'd just pull their head around towards the back and they would go back down.
No harm to them at all.
After all of that they wouldn't startle at anything.

I was doing some parade training with my horse. When I came at her with anything while she has no halter on, she spooks and runs. So I took her up to my trainers and let her spook the horse. Umbrellas, flags, bags, anything she could think of. My horse flinched once. I have also popped balloons while sitting on her back and she didn't flinch at that. The hardest part will be training her to ear plugs. If i do this for a while I want to protect her hearing.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I was doing some parade training with my horse. When I came at her with anything while she has no halter on, she spooks and runs. So I took her up to my trainers and let her spook the horse. Umbrellas, flags, bags, anything she could think of. My horse flinched once. I have also popped balloons while sitting on her back and she didn't flinch at that. The hardest part will be training her to ear plugs. If i do this for a while I want to protect her hearing.

Yes, indeed!