Help Understanding Something...

Quetzal

I need some help understanding something. There is this very common trait that I see in quite a few members here. It drives me bananas and I am trying to figure out why it happens so often. Why do members here have such a difficult time differentiating between two things that are clearly different? If I had a dollar for every time I saw this, I could have retired last month and it is everywhere.

Rape is compared to assault, theft, and car jacking.
Homosexuality is compared to pedophilia.
Everyone who disagrees with me is a liberal and is therefore comparable to all evil things.
ISIS "clearly" represents all of Islam and is the same thing, but the same comparison between KKK/Westboro and Christians is no where to be found.

These things, on a very basic level, share some similarities. In the same way apples and oranges are both fruits. But they are both still different from one another.

In my opinion, this way of thinking is extremely lazy. I am sure I am not completely innocent here, but of all the forums I frequent it is readily apparent here the most. Help me understand what your thought process is. If you think of things this way, why?

Quincy

Well, rape is a crime and so are those other things it's compared to in your OP, so for some examples it could make sense, from a legal system perspective. The others are odd, indeed. It's hard to scrutinize yourself, and examining any nuance is probably something most people on the forum don't appreciate or have any interest in doing. I don't know why they feel that way, either.

But don't get frustrated or discouraged :) . The internet isn't a microcosm for people in general. It's a place where the heated, vocal minority can seem quite loud but they're still a minority.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I need some help understanding something. There is this very common trait that I see in quite a few members here. It drives me bananas and I am trying to figure out why it happens so often. Why do members here have such a difficult time differentiating between two things that are clearly different? If I had a dollar for every time I saw this, I could have retired last month and it is everywhere.

Everyone who disagrees with me is a liberal and is therefore comparable to all evil things.
ISIS "clearly" represents all of Islam and is the same thing, but the same comparison between KKK/Westboro and Christians is no where to be found.

These things, on a very basic level, share some similarities. In the same way apples and oranges are both fruits. But they are both still different from one another.

In my opinion, this way of thinking is extremely lazy. I am sure I am not completely innocent here, but of all the forums I frequent it is readily apparent here the most. Help me understand what your thought process is. If you think of things this way, why?

It's the way of this board. It happens when you have a handful of old-timers that police the board to make sure each thread gets overwhelmed with conservative mumbo jumbo. A small group seeks to permeate any thread that has legs. Watch

Quetzal

Well, rape is a crime and so are those other things it's compared to in your OP, so for some examples it could make sense, from a legal system perspective. The others are odd, indeed. It's hard to scrutinize yourself, and examining any nuance is probably something most people on the forum don't appreciate or have any interest in doing. I don't know why they feel that way, either.

But don't get frustrated or discouraged :) . The internet isn't a microcosm for people in general. It's a place where the heated, vocal minority can seem quite loud but they're still a minority.
I am not discouraged, just wondering this happens here, specifically.

Also, while I understand they are all crimes, each one is different than the last. Each has their own set of legal standards, each action that makes up that crime is unique.

Quetzal

It would be similar to me saying that Christianity is the same as Buddhism because they are religions. Maybe that helps clear up my point a bit more.

Quetzal

It's the way of this board. It happens when you have a handful of old-timers that police the board to make sure each thread gets overwhelmed with conservative mumbo jumbo. A small group seeks to permeate any thread that has legs. Watch
I mean, it isn't all mumbo jumbo. There are legitimate points made but the discussion becomes muddy really quickly with abstract or inaccurate comparisons.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

rape is a form of assault

and in all three cases, there is recognized responsibility of the victims to not have acted negligently

and the discussion about rape centered on whether victims of rape should be held responsible for their own negligent behavior, if applicable

did you really miss that? :freak:

they're both perversions of God's natural intent for sex to be confined to being between a man and woman who are married

Quetzal

rape is a form of assault

and in all three cases, there is recognized responsibility of the victims to not have acted negligently

and the discussion about rape centered on whether victims of rape should be held responsible for their own negligent behavior, if applicable

did you really miss that? :freak:

they're both perversions of God's natural intent for sex to be confined to being between a man and woman who are married
Thank you for stopping by.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I made that comparison only to show the perpetrator is the person *solely* responsible for the crime.

The other crimes you have listed (with the exception of assault) are completely different insofar as there isn't necessarily bodily harm.

If you wish for further clarification, let me know, and I will shoot you a PM.

Quetzal

I made that comparison only to show the perpetrator is the person *solely* responsible for the crime.

The other crimes you have listed (with the exception of assault) are completely different insofar as there isn't necessarily bodily harm.
Given the posts so far, maybe that comparison makes more sense in certain discussions over some of the others.

Quetzal

Also, just worth noting, I do not have one specific post in mind with the OP. Just an overarching theme I have noticed so far.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
In my experience, I have always affirmed and confirmed before continuing with sex. I have NO INTEREST in a woman that isn't comfortable with continuing. No is no, and it makes for a bad deal when one tries to continue if one doesn't want to. I agree with ACW for once, rape is unwanted penetration, period. The rapist is never justified nor a victim of any kind.

Quetzal

sometimes no is no

sometimes no is "yes"
sometimes no is "later"
sometimes no is "not yet"
sometimes no is "not until the kids are asleep"

no isn't always no
I keep trying to give you the benefit of the doubt but then you post things like this. Posts like this, given the topic, are creepy.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Given the posts so far, maybe that comparison makes more sense in certain discussions over some of the others.

It's the nature of the crime (rape) and how the victims are being further victimized.

When is the last time you heard someone say that a victim who is robbed or murdered while walking to their car from the grocery store is at fault for their own attack? Anyone could point to those other crimes and blame the victim and justify their blame. It's about walking in another person's shoes.

That doesn't happen because the attack (rape), IMO, is an attack that certain members of society wish to attach a stigma to. It's just an odd coincidence that the victims who are treated so cruelly just happen to normally be women, don't you think?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In my experience, I have always affirmed and confirmed before continuing with sex. I have NO INTEREST in a woman that isn't comfortable with continuing. No is no, and it makes for a bad deal when one tries to continue if one doesn't want to. I agree with ACW for once, rape is unwanted penetration, period. The rapist is never justified nor a victim of any kind.
:thumb:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I keep trying to give you the benefit of the doubt but then you post things like this. Posts like this, given the topic, are creepy.

i am a 55 yo man, happily married for, oh, let's say 18 years, two grown kids

how about you?

are you a man or a woman?

how old are you?

have you ever been in a relationship?

Quetzal

i am a 55 yo man, happily married for, oh, let's say 18 years, two grown kids

how about you?

are you a man or a woman?

how old are you?

have you ever been in a relationship?
As much as I am sure you would love to make this personal. I will pass. Thanks anyway! :wave2: