I'm seeing these sorts of videos nearly every day, now!

bybee

It ended alright. She kicked his shin. He gave her a concussion, knocked out two teeth, and caused trauma to her head. Your unapologetic stance is not surprising.

I think his behavior was excessive. She was either not in her right mind or stupidly entitled and thought he would tolerate her behavior.
I detest this kind of violence.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Police say an 18-year-old woman kicked officers as they tried to arrest another teen during a disturbance call in southeastern Colorado Springs.

Officers were called to 4173 Charleston Drive in Colorado Springs for an alleged disturbance involving a gun just after 9:30 p.m. Thursday. Police say they arrived to 18-year-old Alexis Acker, who said she had been fighting with everyone in sight, but hadn't used a gun, officers said. Police say she may have been drinking.

As part of their investigation at the house, police talked to 19-year-old Tyrin Tanks, who officers say gave them a false name. Police detained Tanks and Acker reacted swiftly, officers said.

"Officer Walker and Sgt. Walsh were restraining Ms. Acker as she tried to interfere with the detention of Mr. Tanks," police said in a news release. "Ms. Acker kicked both Sgt. Walsh and Officer Walker."

Police cuffed Tanks and Acker. She was taken to a hospital for a check and allegedly kicked Officer Walker again.

looks like he got tired of getting kicked :idunno:

Quetzal

I think his behavior was excessive. She was either not in her right mind or stupidly entitled and thought he would tolerate her behavior.
I detest this kind of violence.
She was under the influence of drugs/alcohol at the time. A little bit of restraint when it comes to these situations would be a wonderful change of pace.

ok doser

She was under the influence of drugs/alcohol at the time. A little bit of restraint when it comes to these situations would be a wonderful change of pace.

you mean like handcuffing her?

i believe that was tried

Huckleberry

How about take a step back and be the bigger man? She is already in cuffs, in a chair, and she made no motion to be getting up.
While the cop's response was excessive (to say the least), he absolutely should not "step back" from a kick in those circumstances. To do so is to nearly guarantee her aggression will escalate. She kicks out, he does nothing but scoot back and she, almost certainly, will kick out again or spit or attack in some other way.

Again, the cop was far too aggressive himself, but still he cannot back down from an attack by a woman in handcuffs. If she's already cuffed and lashing out, his stepping back is almost certain to encourage her to lash all the more.

Quetzal

While the cop's response was excessive (to say the least), he absolutely should not "step back" from a kick in those circumstances. To do so is to nearly guarantee her aggression will escalate. She kicks out, he does nothing but scoot back and she, almost certainly, will kick out again or spit or attack in some other way.

Again, the cop was far too aggressive himself, but still he cannot back down from an attack by a woman in handcuffs. If she's already cuffed and lashing out, his stepping back is almost certain to encourage her to lash all the more.
What should he have done?

ok doser

Yes. But he is a big man and he could have simply tied her feet? I wasn't there so cannot make a definitive assessment.
These belligerent people bring a good deal onto themselves, BUT!, the officer is a big man and he ought to be trained to exercise restraint.

he was trained to restrain her

on the floor, on her belly with her hands behind her and a knee in the small of her back until she stops struggling

it ain't pretty but it's how it's done

with the least chance of injury to the officer

and yes, he was a big man

so what?

should they have called in a smaller officer to restrain her, just to make it more fair? :kookoo:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
We live in a police state. This is now normal.

This is what i see happening more on a daily basis, brazen empowered criminals, who want polices hands tied even more:

Attack on elderly Fresno veteran caught on camera

black woman attacks man for his wallet

She wanted his wallet. And guys in california must be total wimps since no one tried to help him when it carried on into the store.

FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) --
An elderly Fresno veteran is sharing his story with Action News after a woman attacked him.

The confrontation was caught on camera, but the suspect has not been caught.
If Mickey the pug is scowling more than usual, it's because of what happened to his owner, Victor Bejarano, two weeks ago.

A few seconds after an SUV pulled into the parking lot of a southeast Fresno AutoZone, the 73-year-old walked into the same lot. Surveillance video shows a woman leave the SUV, walk right up to Bejarano, and gave him a reason to scowl. "I never knew there was anything wrong until the girl started coming up towards me and asking me for the wallet," he said.

Bejarano struggled with the woman for quite a while, and although he was giving up about four inches and 40 pounds, he wouldn't give up the fight to save his wallet -- no matter who was trying to take it. "In the beginning she told me, 'You wouldn't hit a woman,' and I said, 'You're not a woman. I mean, you're attacking me,'" he said.

The military veteran tells Action News he didn't even have any money, just a debit card. But he actually lost his wallet about six months ago and just recently finished the frustrating process of getting everything replaced. So, he kept struggling -- and escaped inside the store where nobody stepped in to help.

"You see patrons inside the store," said Fresno police Sgt. Mark Hudson. "They're looking at her assaulting him. He continues to struggle, continues not to be a victim of a robbery."

The fight moved through the store and out a back door where someone finally announced police were on the way. The woman walked back to her SUV and left.

Bejarano stuck around to get the part he needed to fix a friend's van. The retired mechanic still does work to help people out when they're short on money. He says the attacker just took the wrong approach to get his good side. "But if she told me 'Hey, I have family I've got kids, I would've given her $10," he said.

Police say the woman was about 5'8" and 200 pounds.

Her SUV was a green Ford Explorer about 15 years old.

GuySmiley

There is nothing this woman could have said or done to warrant this kind of violent attack.

And I am seeing these kinds of videos almost every day, now, on Facebook, Youtube, and elsewhere. Clearly, this sort of thing has been going on for a long time, but is now being captured by the recent proliferation of video cameras. And the thing I find most disturbing, is that these violent officer's overseers defend them in almost every instance, against the citizens they were sworn to serve and protect.

It's extremely important that we do not allow our police forces to become populated by paid thugs, such as these. Once the police become the criminals, our society will collapse into violence and chaos.

Nearly every one of these videos I've seen involve the officer over-reacting to a perceived lack of IMMEDIATE AND TOTAL compliance. In this case, the officer just slammed the woman into the chair, presumably because she would not sit voluntarily. This is in itself an unnecessary escalation of violent force. Then when the woman reacts to this aggression with her foot (because she is hand-cuffed), the officer over-reacts, again, and slams her to the floor, knocking out her teeth.

I understand that she was drunk, and uncooperative, but drunks are very often slow to understand, and deliberately uncooperative. This officer was NEVER in any danger. And had no legitimate reason to respond so violently to her insolence. Any officer that cannot keep his cool in such a situation should be sent back for more training and testing, or should be put off the job.

And as a social emergency, we need to address this insane police practice of demanding immediate and total compliance. It's irrational, and dangerously unrealistic, and it is clearly the cause many unnecessary deaths and beatings of civilians.
The officer was disciplined but the city of Colorado Spring wont release details. His supervisor who wrote a report of the incident diminishing the details is under an internal affairs investigation.

Sounds like the cops cant do these things and get away with it, just like the system ought to work. As with any system, there will be errors going both ways, but this isn't a good example of it.

The girl has a civil suit going which, personally, I hope she wins. I hope the city ends up paying big and cops act more professionally as a result.

ok doser

The officer was disciplined but the city of Colorado Spring wont release details. His supervisor who wrote a report of the incident diminishing the details is under an internal affairs investigation.

Sounds like the cops cant do these things and get away with it, just like the system ought to work. As with any system, there will be errors going both ways, but this isn't a good example of it.

The girl has a civil suit going which, personally, I hope she wins. I hope the city ends up paying big and cops act more professionally as a result.

in your opinion, what would the more professional way have been for the officer to restrain her?

Huckleberry

What should he have done?
Call for backup and cuff her feet. Slap on a faceshield if she spits or bites. Toss her in the tank if there's no dealing with her and let her cool off.
Etc. Cops already have responses for this kind of thing. It's not like it doesn't happen every single day. The problem here is that a full-on body slam probably ain't it.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
What an absolute imbecile. Speaks volumes about that officer's mental capacity and actual ability to defuse a situation without using excessive force. She is no threat whatsoever. If he cant handle that ridiculously weak attempt at a kick without going berserk, he should probably not be a police officer. That kick doesn't even look like it could hurt his feelings.

Well said.

PureX

All true, but I posted this particular incident as one in an ongoing litany of similar such incidents. And in many of them, the department heads stand behind the officers and against the civilians.

It should not be this way. They have all sworn to serve and protect the public, not each other.

Also, I mentioned this incident because like nearly every similar incident I've seen, and am aware of, the cause of the excessive violence is always the same: and that is the police demanding immediate and full compliance. And when they don't get it, they are over-reacting. This absurd expectation really needs to be addressed.

GuySmiley

in your opinion, what would the more professional way have been for the officer to restrain her?
However the city would like him to would be a good start. Since he was disciplined we know he did it wrong. But in my opinion, face first from waist height is the wrong way.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Attack on elderly Fresno veteran caught on camera

black woman attacks man for his wallet

The first is the YouTube title, the second is your title. Interesting that you added her ethnicity to yours.

Implicit bias operates below conscious cognition. It's an association process involving attitudes and stereotypes that people may not be aware they have (insist they don't have), but it's there on an automatic response level. I think what you did there is a good example of it.

Quetzal

Call for backup and cuff her feet. Slap on a faceshield if she spits or bites. Toss her in the tank if there's no dealing with her and let her cool off.
Etc. Cops already have responses for this kind of thing. It's not like it doesn't happen every single day. The problem here is that a full-on body slam probably ain't it.
:up:

ok doser

The first is the YouTube title, the second is your title. Interesting that you added her ethnicity to yours.

Implicit bias operates below conscious cognition. It's an association process involving attitudes and stereotypes that people may not be aware they have (insist they don't have), but it's there on an automatic response level. I think what you did there is a good example of it.

are you saying that she wasn't a black woman?

:think: i find it fascinating that you didn't comment on the fact that angel described her gender

no, you only focused on the ethnicity angle