It is not ideal that women be in authority over men (president)

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
You start by saying you agree that a man should be president, but you finish by saying you'd vote for a qualified woman. So which is it?

(I'm assuming you'd only vote for a person you considered qualified, regardless of gender.)

No what I said was there is no qualified woman running, and that I believe the world will see it as a sign of weakness in the time we live in right now. If ever America needs to show strength on the world stage it is now and I don't see a woman currently running that can portray that image. Sorry if that offends but, I am just being honest about how I personally feel about it.

glorydaz

No what I said was there is no qualified woman running, and that I believe the world will see it as a sign of weakness in the time we live in right now. If ever America needs to show strength on the world stage it is now and I don't see a woman currently running that can portray that image. Sorry if that offends but, I am just being honest about how I personally feel about it.

I think that happened with Hillary being the Secretary of State. Almost as bad as Obama, himself, and his wishy washy try to please the whole Muslim world mentality.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I can't remember the source, but a few years ago an interviewer asked Hillary if during her diplomatic visits to the Middle East (where women are viewed as inferior) if she she felt like she was treated any differently. She said she wasn't treated any differently there than anywhere else. Not sure if she was the President proper if that would change things or not.

Well Q, I would not believe anything the lying felon Hillary has to say. Her word or opinion doesn't mean spit based on her dishonesty alone, she has no credibility on anything.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

That's not what I was getting at. You said:

May sound sexist but, I agree with you Angel as does my wife. [that a man should be the president, not a woman].

and then you said:

At some point maybe a qualified woman will step up to the plate to lead & I will vote for her
If, in principle, you don't think a woman should be president, why would you be willing to go ahead and vote for one should a qualified one come along?

glorydaz

Well Q, I would not believe anything the lying felon Hillary has to say. Her word or opinion doesn't mean spit based on her dishonesty alone, she has no credibility on anything.

Truer words were never spoken. Hillary has no concept of truth. Of course she won't admit to "feeling" disrespected. That is absolutely inconceivable in Hillary's world. No one would DARE!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If, in principle, you don't think a woman should be president, why would you be willing to go ahead and vote for one should a qualified one come along?

Because there is not a man available that is acceptable. I can't believe you keep picking at this non-point.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Second question to go with the first:

If you could choose between a qualified (your qualifications) woman and Trump, who would you vote for?

Unfair question...your positing a choice between known & unknown, who is this phantom woman? Donald Trump is one of many candidates and if your asking if it were a choice between Trump & Fiorina I would choose Trump. Donald Trump has a record of success as a presiding executive (which the presidency is) and Carly has a record of failure...That makes the decision easy for me.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Unfair question...your positing a choice between known & unknown, who is this phantom woman? Donald Trump is one of many candidates and if your asking if it were a choice between Trump & Fiorina I would choose Trump. Donald Trump has a record of success as a presiding executive (which the presidency is) and Carly has a record of failure...That makes the decision easy for me.

It's a hypothetical question. I clearly said a woman who met your qualifications, so no, I wasn't thinking about Fiorina at all.

I'd like to know more about the discrepancy between what you think and what you'd do.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
That's not what I was getting at. You said:

and then you said:

Enjoy parsing do you? I made myself quite clear as to how I feel in my post & why, you just don't like it...I get that. Go ahead & beat it to death, there is no qualified woman to begin with so your argument is moot.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Enjoy parsing do you? I made myself quite clear as to how I feel in my post & why, you just don't like it...I get that. Go ahead & beat it to death, there is no qualified woman to begin with so your argument is moot.

Apparently I'm not making it clear enough that there seems to be some major cognitive dissonance going on. You don't believe, in principle, that a woman should be president - yet you'd vote for a woman if the right one came along. I suppose that's a good thing, that maybe your belief isn't set in stone and at the right opportunity you'd be willing to reconsider the idea of a woman president.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
It's a hypothetical question. I clearly said a woman who met your qualifications, so no, I wasn't thinking about Fiorina at all.

Its a figment of your imagination anna, the situation does not exist.

I'd like to know more about the discrepancy between what you think and what you'd do.

Why so you could say Gotcha! sorry not in to playing hypothetical games. Either deal in reality or drop it...there is no qualified female candidate at this time from my POV, and I will choose from those that are left when we vote late next year but, I can assure you I will not be pulling a lever for Carly Fiorina.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

Yep. Easily offended, apparently.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Apparently I'm not making it clear enough that there seems to be some major cognitive dissonance going on. You don't believe, in principle, that a woman should be president - yet you'd vote for a woman if the right one came along. I suppose that's a good thing, that maybe your belief isn't set in stone and at the right opportunity you'd be willing to reconsider the idea of a woman president.

Obviously the cognitive disconnect is on your end given that you read into my original post what you want to see. Do I believe that the world that we live in now will see a female U.S. President as weakness? Yes, at this time I do, it will be perceived as weakness. If a strong Margret Thatcher type of female was running could I vote for her? Yes, I could see myself doing that but, that is not the case right now, there is no strong female leader that I would feel comfortable voting for. These are two different thoughts Anna, one is how I believe the world would perceive a woman in the presidency, the other is what I personally could do if the situation was different. I don't know that I can make it any more simple for you...Are you a feminist Anna?

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Yep. Easily offended, apparently.

I probably would have never even posted on the subject before I read your post. My wife said the same thing over dinner last night as did my wife's friend across the street. We talked about this subject at length over a glass of wine on the porch and I find it curious that some women get so wrapped up in the feminist side and others see it so opposite...it is a strange paradigm.

bybee

First and foremost I vote for the person I believe to be most qualified. Sometimes that is a choice between the least incompetent of the two? I always vote!
I am still holding my decision until further evidence of competence comes out!
I have almost no confidence in the political scene of today. It seems evident that getting elected to a federal office is almost a guarantee to become a millionaire with amnesia!