Its true if you stop and think about it

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Actually, "seeing" is as much mental interpretation as it is visual stimulation. And interpretation is based squarely on our current conception of reality. A conception that we clearly "believe in", even though we know it is likely to be erroneous in many ways.

So I would say that seeing really IS believing in that recognition is based on our pre-conception of reality: i.e., what we believe reality to be.
I would say that what your describing is better said as "Believing is seeing".

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Sadly, I don't think this is true. I think it's true that we are a collective species, and therefor will thrive by helping each other instead of competing with each other. But I don't think it's true at the present time, that if we spend our lives helping others, that when we are in need, there will be someone there to help us. I wish it were true, but I have not seen it to be so.

If we choose to help others, we need to do it without expectations of return.
I agree fully. I wish it were true, but it usually is not. None the less, we should help people to the best of our abilities.
[h=1]Mark 12:28-31New International Version (NIV)[/h] [h=3]The Greatest Commandment[/h]28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”
29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[a] 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[b] 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[c] There is no commandment greater than these.”

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
12920543_1014359948638744_783244500851820140_n.jpg

PureX

To see, one must form some understanding of the nerve sensations being sent to the brain. And that understanding is both based on, and is, itself, a form of 'belief'. So literally, seeing IS believing.

They are one inseparable phenomena. It's why we so often say, "I see" when we mean, "I understand".

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
To see, one must form some understanding of the nerve sensations being sent to the brain. And that understanding is both based on, and is, itself, a form of 'belief'. So literally, seeing IS believing.

They are one inseparable phenomena. It's why we so often say, "I see" when we mean, "I understand".
You have never seen God. Or Jesus. Or the Holy Spirit. What nerve sensations made you "see" so that you could believe?

PureX

You have never seen God. Or Jesus. Or the Holy Spirit. What nerve sensations made you "see" so that you could believe?
I don't "believe in" God in that way. I trust in my hope that a loving God exists (it's faith, not belief).

I also trust in the evidence of that divine love: the forgiveness, compassion and generosity that I see in myself and in the world around me. And I choose to believe that if there is a God, these are "God" expressed.