Lord's Prayer cinema advert ban in the UK

Ian Roz

The refusal of leading UK cinemas to show an advert featuring the Lord's Prayer.
The Church called the decision "plain silly" and warned it could have a "chilling" effect on free speech.:devil:
It had hoped the 60-second film would be screened UK-wide before Christmas ahead of the new Star Wars film.

The advert was passed uncut by the British Board of Film Classification and given a "U" certificate, as well as receiving clearance from the Cinema Advertising Authority.
However, the Digital Cinema Media (DCM) agency, which handles British film advertising for the major cinema chains, Odeon, Cineworld and Vue, refused to show the advert because it believed it would risk upsetting or offending audiences.:confused:
What is your view on this?

Last edited:

Truster

Welby has also said he doubted the existence of ''God'' after the Paris attacks. So what is the point of prayer? Both articles were in the Telegraph today.

Greg Jennings

The refusal of leading UK cinemas to show an advert featuring the Lord's Prayer.
The Church called the decision "plain silly" and warned it could have a "chilling" effect on free speech.:devil:
It had hoped the 60-second film would be screened UK-wide before Christmas ahead of the new Star Wars film.

The advert was passed uncut by the British Board of Film Classification and given a "U" certificate, as well as receiving clearance from the Cinema Advertising Authority.
However, the Digital Cinema Media (DCM) agency, which handles British film advertising for the major cinema chains, Odeon, Cineworld and Vue, refused to show the advert because it believed it would risk upsetting or offending audiences.:confused:
What is your view on this?

I'd have to see the video, but the description given doesn't make it seem like this should be a problem

brewmama

Just because the AB o' Canterbury is rather an idiot, (nothing new there), does not mean that this decision to call prayer offensive is in any way merited. Very chilling.

Truster

Scripture describes prayer as a sacrifice. Scripture also states that the sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination (Offense) to Elohim.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I had a good think about this. Advertisers offer a paying service. If cake makers or hotels are not allowed to reject business from homosexuals, I don't see how advertisers can reject business from Christians.
However, expect Muslims to take the same view. Or Jews or Hindus.
Personally, it wouldn't bother me. If cinema advertising promoters are worried that people might start walking because they can't stand the religious adverts, then they know how we feel when we are bombarded with ordinary commercial advertising that is loud and garish and stops us from having decent conversations with our friends before the film starts.

bybee

I had a good think about this. Advertisers offer a paying service. If cake makers or hotels are not allowed to reject business from homosexuals, I don't see how advertisers can reject business from Christians.
However, expect Muslims to take the same view. Or Jews or Hindus.
Personally, it wouldn't bother me. If cinema advertising promoters are worried that people might start walking because they can't stand the religious adverts, then they know how we feel when we are bombarded with ordinary commercial advertising that is loud and garish and stops us from having decent conversations with our friends before the film starts.

Yup!

Ian Roz

Thank you all for your contributions here, the UK is a Christian country and a we're not allowed to advertise God/faith before Christmas, but we can advertise cars,war films,high sugar foods, violent computer games but the concept of God and faith just might offend a few people. Oh dear me! this is wrong.

Last edited: