MUSK BUYS TWITTER!

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
The answer is so obvious that I'm shocked you have to ask. Twitter can't survive unless it has a good reputation with advertisers, and Musk will have to walk a fine line now that he owns it. He can't kowtow to both right-wing loons and mainstream advertisers simultaneously. Whose side do you think he will pick? Money talks, guess what walks?
In other words, as usual, you're not going to answer the questions I asked you. Got it. Thanks, greatest poser ever.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Just so you know …

Owners …

Twitter … Elon Musk
Truth Social … Trump
Parler … Ye
If you think Elon Musk is going to turn Twitter into another failing Truth Social or Parler dumpster fire, guess again. Twitter needs major mainstream advertising dollars to keep the money rolling in. Even the world's richest man can't afford to have this deal turn sour.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
If you think Elon Musk is going to turn Twitter into another failing Truth Social or Parler dumpster fire, guess again. Twitter needs major mainstream advertising dollars to keep the money rolling in. Even the world's richest man can't afford to have this deal turn sour.
Agreed...So then why the histrionics from the left? 😐

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Neither I nor the libs I follow are freaking out about Musk taking over Twitter. It's business as usual for us. So when you speak of "the histrionics from the left," you are going to have to name names and then we'll proceed from there.
Ohhhh...Okay, Great response, I'm going to use that in the future.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Ohhhh...Okay, Great response, I'm going to use that in the future.
No, seriously. When you speak of "the histrionics from the left," who exactly are you referring to? I'm sure you can name at least one name.

What I see in this thread is a bunch of memes made by wingnuts alleging that the left is melting down over Musk's takeover of Twitter, but those memes don't jive with my reality.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
No, seriously. When you speak of "the histrionics from the left," who exactly are you referring to? I'm sure you can name at least one name.

What I see in this thread is a bunch of memes made by wingnuts alleging that the left is melting down over Musk's takeover of Twitter, but those memes don't jive with my reality.
:unsure: Okay...I get that. I was prepared to hear that it's largely media generated. I could give you a laundry list but it's populated by people who either make their living being "controversial" and ex-celebrities' who depend on such things to remain relevant and in the public eye.

Shaun King (Talcum X) Rob Reiner, Takei (Who, to his credit, is not going anywhere but intends to remain on board to keep an eye on things.)...Even She-Hulk. :) Yanno...The same crew who is moving to Canada every other year.

I hear ya...As a matter of fact I suspect in most cases anymore; what is being portrayed in the media is not jiving with reality. ;)

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
:unsure: Okay...I get that. I was prepared to hear that it's largely media generated. I could give you a laundry list but it's populated by people who either make their living being "controversial" and ex-celebrities' who depend on such things to remain relevant and in the public eye.

Shaun King (Talcum X) Rob Reiner, Takei (Who, to his credit, is not going anywhere but intends to remain on board to keep an eye on things.)...Even She-Hulk. :) Yanno...The same crew who is moving to Canada every other year.

I hear ya...As a matter of fact I suspect in most cases anymore; what is being portrayed in the media is not jiving with reality. ;)
Has The Talking Potato (aka Brian Stelter) been heard on this issue? He was always good for a belly laugh.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Has The Talking Potato (aka Brian Stelter) been heard on this issue? He was always good for a belly laugh.
I seem to remember seeing something about him whining about the firings...He doesn't say much anymore. :)

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

Believing in their heart of hearts that they have the power to make anyone melt down is extremely important to their right-wing identity.

Doesn't matter if no one's melting down, the right-wing's belief in their magic power creates the mirage for them. That belief is their pacifier, and sucking on it gives them comfort.

Last edited:

Arthur Brain

Just so you know …

Owners …

Twitter … Elon Musk
Truth Social … Trump
Parler … Ye

The little lying snowflakes are running out of places to hide.
What a peculiar thing to claim. Why would "liberals" want to "hide" let alone run out of platforms to post on? Unless Musk is planning on turning Twitter into a right wing only platform then those on the left are free to post on it. It would be bizarre if they weren't considering Musk is all for freedom of speech, right? You also consider censorship to be a "leftist trait", correct? Granted, he's likely to find that Twitter will be infested with far right wingnuts and neo nazis that will be a royal headache for the guy but he'll have to deal with that.

Truth Social is a dogs breakfast of a social platform that I doubt many to the left would be interested in joining anyway.

Ye - the artist formerly known as Kanye and formerly known as having a contract with Adidas until they broke it after his moronic anti Semitic remarks? Yeah, great examples there Jefferson.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Interesting article. Forget the memes and take the deep dive:

Another interesting take: (caution: language)

Welcome to hell, Elon.
This was your idea.
Here are some examples: you can write as many polite letters to advertisers as you want, but you cannot reasonably expect to collect any meaningful advertising revenue if you do not promise those advertisers “brand safety.” That means you have to ban racism, sexism, transphobia, and all kinds of other speech that is totally legal in the United States but reveals people to be total [redacted]. So you can make all the promises about “free speech” you want, but the dull reality is that you still have to ban a bunch of legal speech if you want to make money. And when you start doing that, your creepy new right-wing fanboys are going to viciously turn on you, just like they turn on every other social network that realizes the same essential truth.​
. . . .​
The essential truth of every social network is that the product is content moderation, and everyone hates the people who decide how content moderation works. Content moderation is what Twitter makes— it is the thing that defines the user experience. It’s what YouTube makes, it’s what Instagram makes, it’s what TikTok makes. They all try to incentivize good stuff, disincentivize bad stuff, and delete the really bad stuff. Do you know why YouTube videos are all eight to 10 minutes long? Because that’s how long a video has to be to qualify for a second ad slot in the middle. That’s content moderation, baby — YouTube wants a certain kind of video, and it created incentives to get it. That’s the business you’re in now. The longer you fight it or pretend that you can sell something else, the more Twitter will drag you into the deepest possible muck of defending indefensible speech. And if you turn on a dime and accept that growth requires aggressive content moderation and pushing back against government speech regulations around the country and world, well, we’ll see how your fans react to that.​

Arthur Brain

He's likely to have his hands full with the inevitable hordes of wingnut conspiracy theorists, alt right supremacists and other assorted wingnuts infesting the place...