My fantasy. And a question for liberals

Christian Liberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
Showing once again that secular humanists and theonomists like Jr. here can work together to make the world a bigger hellhole than it already is

Jr. is normally a Libertarian on Mon-Wed and Friday's, but it appears that he's gone the theonomist route today.

Regarding whose side he's on:

I have quite a few quotes that show him siding with you on the issue of "consenting adults" if you would like to see them Sandy.

Old and outdated quotes I assume?

Of course, I'm still going to reject your false assumption that legalization inherently means support and so I do think I was a Christian back then despite making some errors...

glorydaz

Why should you care? You wouldn't be living there. Why would you not be in favor of having your perfect leftist paradise?

I don't like it because I live in Oregon. I've lived back east and I don't care to go back...I'm rooted here.

It's bad enough having a bunch of liberals living along the I 5 corridor with the largest cities making all our laws. The rest of us are spread out across the state and have no say so...our voice doesn't count. But, there is a chance we could all band together if we needed to because libs only know how to talk...... :think:

Caledvwlch

Deuteronomy 4 and Deuteronomy 12 would prohibit you from adding this law unless you think there is a case law that already exists which is applicable.

Now, as for the OP, the east-west division is really awkward. I forgot to mention this in my initital assessment, but its important. The Northeast is not conservative, and Texas is not liberal. A better division (though admittedly geographically awkward) is to pair the Pacific states (minus Alaska but including Hawaii) with the Northeast and then putting the rest of the country in the conservative camp. Or better yet, honestly, just have 50 different countries. Centralization is a disease and it just leads to everyone being miserable.

Then again, it also gives us the ability to do great things, like build a highway system that boosts our economy and lets me eat California avacados in NH, and lets people from the midwest occasionally drive out to see an ocean. We put people on the moon, and invented a hundred different things in the process. 50 separate nation-states never get that stuff done.

Christian Liberty

I don't like it because I live in Oregon. I've lived back east and I don't care to go back...I'm rooted here.

It's bad enough having a bunch of liberals living along the I 5 corridor with the largest cities making all our laws. The rest of us are spread out across the state and have no say so...our voice doesn't count. But, there is a chance we could all band together if we needed to because libs only know how to talk...... :think:

I'm not saying do things exactly this way, but at the end of the day something needs to happen and some people are going to have to decide between moving and living in an area they don't like. I live in NYS and so I'd have to move... I still endorse this.

Having a united federal government is NOT helping peace or liberty right now.

Christian Liberty

Then again, it also gives us the ability to do great things, like build a highway system that boosts our economy and lets me eat California avacados in NH, and lets people from the midwest occasionally drive out to see an ocean. We put people on the moon, and invented a hundred different things in the process. 50 separate nation-states never get that stuff done.

I think we could potentially still do those things. Markets do tend to work pretty well. I support open borders though I realize I'm rare on the "right" in this regard.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I think we could potentially still do those things. Markets do tend to work pretty well. I support open borders though I realize I'm rare on the "right" in this regard.

Purely free markets would not have led to the Manhattan Project, Internet, NASA, an interstate highway system, Hoover Dam, and the like. No way, no how.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Jr. is normally a Libertarian on Mon-Wed and Friday's, but it appears that he's gone the theonomist route today.

Regarding whose side he's on:

I have quite a few quotes that show him siding with you on the issue of "consenting adults" if you would like to see them Sandy.

Old and outdated quotes I assume?

Are you saying that you, the son of a Christian pastor morals have "evolved" since you defended Libertarianism?

Of course, I'm still going to reject your false assumption that legalization inherently means support and so I do think I was a Christian back then despite making some errors...

When we talk about the criminalization of a behavior, we're talking about civil government fining or incarcerating someone who is caught and convicted of that illegal behavior.

When people overturn those laws, how is that not "supporting" that overturned legislation which allows people to engage in those beahaviors without the threat of government intervention?

(And please, don't use your Big Mac analogy, it's not only lame but being disrespectful to God and righteous laws).

Christian Liberty

Are you saying that you, the son of a Christian pastor morals have "evolved" since you defended Libertarianism?

My views on government have changed.

When we talk about the criminalization of a behavior, we're talking about civil government fining or incarcerating someone who is caught and convicted of that illegal behavior.

Yes. ANd thus overturning the law in question means not supporting the PENALTY for the act. It doesn't necessarily mean supporting the act.

I support laws against homosexuality because the BIble teaches that that's not only a sin, but also a crime.

I do not support banning the consumption of ten big macs in one sitting. Its gluttonous but government support is NOT justified.

I do not support criminalizing marijuana. Its non-medical use is a sin, sure, but its not something for which government force is justified.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior

My views on government have changed.

When we talk about civil government, we're of course talking about whether it legislates righteously as seen through the Eyes of God.

So your morals when it comes to civil government legislating righteously have "evolved" since the days you were a hardcore Libertarian?

Quote: Originally posted by aCultureWarrior

Yes. ANd thus overturning the law in question means not supporting the PENALTY for the act. It doesn't necessarily mean supporting the act.

Meaning that people who are engaging in that behavior are free to engage in it without fear of government interference.

So when legislation allows murderers to run freely (like the supposed doctors at Planned Parenthood) the people behind that legislation were really neutral when it comes to the legislation, and not in support of the act of abortion itself?

I support laws against homosexuality because the BIble teaches that that's not only a sin, but also a crime.

Punishable by death?

I do not support banning the consumption of ten big macs in one sitting. Its gluttonous but government support is NOT justified.

How would civil government even decide if someone were being gluttonous?

I do not support criminalizing marijuana. Its non-medical use is a sin, sure, but its not something for which government force is justified.

But Jr., the Bible doesn't say anything about the criminalization of those who use heroin, cocaine or LSD. Surely they must be legalized as well?

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Question for liberals: Wouldn't that be wonderful?
Cutting ourselves off from each other is something that humans do, thinking that it will be the perfect solution. But putting up barriers around us will no longer work in an interconnected world. Jesus taught us to love our enemies. I believe that on some level, he realized that we need our opponent.

Christian Liberty

When we talk about civil government, we're of course talking about whether it legislates righteously as seen through the Eyes of God.

Sure, but God doesn't say that every sinful behavior should also be a criminal one.
So your morals when it comes to civil government legislating righteously have "evolved" since the days you were a hardcore Libertarian?

Correct.

Meaning that people who are engaging in that behavior are free to engage in it without fear of government interference.

So when legislation allows murderers to run freely (like the supposed doctors at Planned Parenthood) the people behind that legislation were really neutral when it comes to the legislation, and not in support of the act of abortion itself?

I don't really see how any non-pacifist could be OK with laws that don't prohibit murder. People who say they "personally" think abortion is murder but support allowing it are just inconsistent because those people usually support laws against murder.

Punishable by death?

Yes, at least sometimes.

They cant and its not their job, which is the point. Limited government is Biblical.

But Jr., the Bible doesn't say anything about the criminalization of those who use heroin, cocaine or LSD. Surely they must be legalized as well?

Correct, those things should all be legal except in cases where the drug is being used to contact the demonic world in which case it could be witchcraft. But if the only thing provable is use to get high than yes, all of those things should be legal.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:

Sure, but God doesn't say that every sinful behavior should also be a criminal one.

Nor does He say that in order for a government to rule righteously as seen through His Eyes that specific laws first must be documented in Holy Scripture in order for them to do so.

So the son of a Christian pastor admits that he didn't understand the righteous role of government when he was a hardcore Libertarian, but does now as a theonomist?

I don't really see how any non-pacifist could be OK with laws that don't prohibit murder. People who say they "personally" think abortion is murder but support allowing it are just inconsistent because those people usually support laws against murder.

You're totally missing my point. You're claiming that people can be neutral when it comes to legislation:

Quote: Originally posted by Christian Liberty

Explain how people can side with either righteous or unrighteous legislation, yet still remain neutral.

Punishable by death? [the act of homosexuality]

Yes, at least sometimes.

Why just "sometimes"? Didn't God say in the OT that homosexuality should be punished by death? (stoning and other acts according to Jewish laws).

They cant and its not their job, which is the point. Limited government is Biblical.

Yet more people die from heart disease due to gluttonous eating each year than die from homosexual related diseases and disorders.

Surely you wouldn't give a pass to those people would you while condemning those who engage in homosexual activity to death?

Quote: Originally posted by aCultureWarior

Correct, those things should all be legal except in cases where the drug is being used to contact the demonic world in which case it could be witchcraft. But if the only thing provable is use to get high than yes, all of those things should be legal.

Playing the role of a theonomist, I'll need to see where in the Bible it says that recreational drug use should be illegal only when those things apply to the recreational drug user, and while you're at it, the penalty for doing so.

Christian Liberty

Jefferson the biggest issue I see is the 0.5% who want what you want shouldn't get 1/2 of america.

Your not a conservative, you are a fruit bat and most conservatives would say so.

Would you give the 0.5% that are that "crazy" 0.5% of America? Or would you kill them all if they tried to revolt against your statist tyranny?